Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

From 2012-17 average UK deaths per year from winter viruses was about 7,000.  It barely got a mention in the media.  We accept it as normal, because it IS normal.  

I think I read that Public Health England said it was a 17,000 deaths average, but very volatile and has recently been as high as 28,000 in 2014-15 and as low as 2,000 in 2018-19. 

Yes I agree, we hear almost nothing of that statistic, it’s our normal background risk. 

 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that 229 scientists from universities have written to the government pleading for more assertive action than the herd immunity approach stating hundreds of thousands more lives can be saved by greater and more pro-active preventative measures. Hopefully, the government is listening and those ITV reports tonight will be implemented. I think people will understand as the seriousness of increasing numbers hits home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Why is that?

There has been urgent research into why this is affecting people with diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiac problems. The common factor appears to be ace inhibitors such as ramipril. The action of these drugs leaves individuals more susceptible to sars cov 2 as this virus attacks the cells at the point that ace inhibitors expose them.

Don't just stop them. Talk to your doctor as my wife who works as a GP was made aware Friday as was I.

Edited by The Bristol Nest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

There has been urgent research into why this is affecting people with diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiac problems. The common factor appears to be ace inhibitors such as ramipril. The action of these drugs leaves individuals more susceptible to sars cov 2 as this virus attacks the cells at the point that ace inhibitors expose them.

Don't just stop them. Talk to your doctor as my wife who works as a GP was made aware Friday as was I.

Cheers Nesto, my blood pressure is fine but someone v close and dear to me takes meds. Ill pass the info on and im certain they'll contact GP for advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Infamy! Infamy!

They've all got it in fa me!

 

That's nothing. Shakespeare wrote about all this back in 1605 - you know, the story of the Roman General, Caius Marcius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cheers Nesto, my blood pressure is fine but someone v close and dear to me takes meds. Ill pass the info on and im certain they'll contact GP for advice.

The trouble with stopping the use of BP tablets such as Ramipril is that those with a serious condition may end up dying of heart failure. Listening to advice from a GP at the moment on the radio. Basically it's that high risk people should self isolate. That includes anyone with high blood pressure. 

I read on another forum that 50% of the people who died in China had high blood pressure (hypertension). A lot of the information out there is dubious but I fact checked it and it appears to be true. 

Stay safe all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The trouble with stopping the use of BP tablets such as Ramipril is that those with a serious condition may end up dying of heart failure. Listening to advice from a GP at the moment on the radio. Basically it's that high risk people should self isolate. That includes anyone with high blood pressure. 

I read on another forum that 50% of the people who died in China had high blood pressure (hypertension). A lot of the information out there is dubious but I fact checked it and it appears to be true. 

Stay safe all. 

I thought the BBC said it was higher than that, could be global figures, but the commonality is the virus itself doesn’t kill it weakens the immune system and it’s the underlying health issue which kills.

Been reading about some form of viral blocker which was being developed for SARS which is in trial for this virus, but again even with fast track still months away.

Its the trials which are taking so long, maybe the vaccine which are in trials should be offered to those who are at high risk from Coronavirus with a disclaimer.

Edited by Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest rumour is compulsory isolation of over-70s "for their own protection".  Patronising, and frankly a bit sinister.  Is post-Brexit Britain sliding towards totalitarianism?  Is this what "taking back control" really means?  I wouldn't be at all surprised.  In any case it's unenforceable.  Would older-looking people have to produce ID to prove they're under 70?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live about 10 miles from our nearest supermarket, so have a weekly delivery, usually booked a few days before. Having checked today, all slots for the next THREE weeks are already taken. FFS people! The media really need to take the heat out of this situation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clip of how Foreign Minister (South Korea) explaining their approach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0ver 70s - told to stay at home

To paraphrase David Steel

'Go back to your residencies and prepare for embalment'

But on a more serious not, and echoing Fuzzar's point above much of this panic is media led.. With certain ar sewipe papers like the Mail being at the forefront of the blame and well in front on hypocricy.

It is claiming thht over 70s maybe forced to stay indoors for four months

The government could do well to fine heavily if not close down these type of rags so as to stop such dangerous nonsense from being peddled

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bill said:

0ver 70s - told to stay at home

To paraphrase David Steel

'Go back to your residencies and prepare for embalment'

But on a more serious not, and echoing Fuzzar's point above much of this panic is media led.. With certain ar sewipe papers like the Mail being at the forefront of the blame and well in front on hypocricy.

It is claiming thht over 70s maybe forced to stay indoors for four months

The government could do well to fine heavily if not close down these type of rags so as to stop such dangerous nonsense from being peddled

My wife's former lecturer used to say it was the purveyor of evil. But then I must add, we all have our favourite sources of media to act as our echo chamber.

Edited by sonyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sonyc said:

My wife's former lecturer used to say it was the purveyor of evil

it still is

and what should not be forgotten was it's sick campaign against the MMR jab

it panders to the cesspit of hate, bigotry and ignorance that lies outside of decent society

by pushing an endless flow of lies and misreprentation

even Wiki has it listed as an unreliable source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bill said:

0ver 70s - told to stay at home

To paraphrase David Steel

'Go back to your residencies and prepare for embalment'

But on a more serious not, and echoing Fuzzar's point above much of this panic is media led.. With certain ar sewipe papers like the Mail being at the forefront of the blame and well in front on hypocricy.

It is claiming thht over 70s maybe forced to stay indoors for four months

The government could do well to fine heavily if not close down these type of rags so as to stop such dangerous nonsense from being peddled

The problem is that came from Robert Peston, who got it from an "unamed government source", which then got passed to the papers, which eventually got "confirmed" hours later by the Health Secretary. It's the same shoddy behaviour we've been getting from our leaders for a long time and it is properly dangerous now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Dean Koontz one is interesting in that whilst his book talks about a virus in 2020, his virus infected people within hours of contact and everybody that contracts it dies within 24 hours, and the 2010 bacterial infection he refers to in the book  did not happen. Of course the conspiracy theorists love it......

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are considering it then just say so.  I cannot see why it needs legislation. How would they police it? In fact, what is there to consider? People will either heed it or ignore it. You shouldn't drink and drive, you really ought not to smoke and too much sugar is bad for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The over 70's will be made to wear a grey star - and there will be a oap catcher roaming the streets rounding up any 'strays'

Carts will also go from dtreet to street accompanied by cries of "bring out your dead'

bingo halls will be filled with corpses (nothing new there the)

and the market will be flooded with a glut of unwanted mobility scooters

and irony of all ironies the chap with the End is nigh' sign will not be allowed to walk the streets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The trouble with stopping the use of BP tablets such as Ramipril is that those with a serious condition may end up dying of heart failure. Listening to advice from a GP at the moment on the radio. Basically it's that high risk people should self isolate. That includes anyone with high blood pressure. 

I read on another forum that 50% of the people who died in China had high blood pressure (hypertension). A lot of the information out there is dubious but I fact checked it and it appears to be true. 

Stay safe all. 

I have high blood pressure but my GP hasn’t prescribed any meds-am I at risk, or is it only if you’re taking the meds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bill said:

The over 70's will be made to wear a grey star - and there will be a oap catcher roaming the streets rounding up any 'strays'

Carts will also go from dtreet to street accompanied by cries of "bring out your dead'

bingo halls will be filled with corpses (nothing new there the)

and the market will be flooded with a glut of unwanted mobility scooters

and irony of all ironies the chap with the End is nigh' sign will not be allowed to walk the streets

And bikes🚴‍♂️

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I have high blood pressure but my GP hasn’t prescribed any meds-am I at risk, or is it only if you’re taking the meds?

Check with your GP. I have my view but it is only as useful as the current knowledge base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I have high blood pressure but my GP hasn’t prescribed any meds-am I at risk, or is it only if you’re taking the meds?

I have no medical knowledge whatsoever. For what it's worth and according to reliable Internet sources, the Chinese think it is the medication that causes the problem not the high BP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dean Koontz theories are just daft because all his books are thrillers with some sort of a futuristic techno twist which always has to be threatening (because they’re thrillers...).

 

my favourite Dean Koontz book is Watchers where scientists genetically engineer two animals that escape from the lab, one is a labrador with super enhanced intelligence (result - a super cute dog) and the other is a chimpanzee re-engineered to be an ultra lethal and aggressive future soldier (result - not so cute).   Something along those lines could happen but it wouldn’t mean DK had predicted it 😤.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

There has been urgent research into why this is affecting people with diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiac problems. The common factor appears to be ace inhibitors such as ramipril. The action of these drugs leaves individuals more susceptible to sars cov 2 as this virus attacks the cells at the point that ace inhibitors expose them.

Don't just stop them. Talk to your doctor as my wife who works as a GP was made aware Friday as was I.

Hi Bristol

Your post was useful as I take ramipril for high blood pressure. I did some surfing online to see if I could find any further information and came up with a couple of reddit threads where the posts have been made by medical people, so a bit more knowledgeable than the average Joe.

The conclusion that I draw from the threads is that the advice is mixed. Some are saying it would be dangerous to use ace inhibitors on covid-19 patients while others claim it is actually beneficial. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any official announcements on best practice.

I am taking your advice and calling both my GP and 111 and asking for an update. I'll post back here if I get any interesting information. In the meantime, here are the two threads I found:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Latest rumour is compulsory isolation of over-70s "for their own protection".  Patronising, and frankly a bit sinister.  Is post-Brexit Britain sliding towards totalitarianism?  Is this what "taking back control" really means?  I wouldn't be at all surprised.  In any case it's unenforceable.  Would older-looking people have to produce ID to prove they're under 70?  

Correct, can't enforce. Don't have to produce any id to police when asked(or anyone else) unless there is reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed. And that means a law not  a rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chumino said:

Correct, can't enforce. Don't have to produce any id to police when asked(or anyone else) unless there is reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed. And that means a law not  a rule. 

I believe you’ll find a different set of rules under a national security and emergency, not sure what the outcome will be but been saying this for weeks, this was going to happen.

The real issues will come in a few months when the global economy has crumpled, businesses are going bust and there’s mass unemployment, funny enough the same scenario 100 years ago, post pandemic, global recession, leading to a Great Depression, lead to the rise of far right groups and a global war. Doomsday scenario but hey not many predicted WWII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing how quickly civilized society begins to crumble once the bog rolls run out.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Amazing how quickly civilized society begins to crumble once the bog rolls run out.

Two-ply - 4 sides!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Amazing how quickly civilized society begins to crumble once the bog rolls run out.

Certainly is. Apparently large queues formed at 8.30am for a 10 am opening of the local Tesco to instantly clear the shelves of hand wash and sanitiser. Madness 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I believe you’ll find a different set of rules under a national security and emergency, not sure what the outcome will be but been saying this for weeks, this was going to happen.

The real issues will come in a few months when the global economy has crumpled, businesses are going bust and there’s mass unemployment, funny enough the same scenario 100 years ago, post pandemic, global recession, leading to a Great Depression, lead to the rise of far right groups and a global war. Doomsday scenario but hey not many predicted WWII.

The UK can rise to the occasion - most of Europe has already (please no 'blitz spirit' - much got covered up there of which we wouldn't be so proud). It's this government I worry about!

Emergency powers can clear the streets - yes even radical septuagenarians too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...