Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

It was my  small in-joke for Barbe (who has been trying to speak about shops during the Cummings furore) 🙂

Mine was a misquote from Backadder II ('Bob'). I had a good friend who would use that phrase & always assumed he'd got it right. Still think it's an amusing line though.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Looking at the recent graphs in the last 2 weeks, it still appears that infections rates are higher than might have been expected (we used to be about a week or so behind Italy who are experiencing double figure deaths now rather than 3 figures). Perhaps our decline out of this is 'slower'

How’s Italy’s testing compared to ours?

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Wouldn’t it be great if all you lefties were just to disappear up you own rear ends. 👍

Not while we are getting under your, and your ilks, skin

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

I think we were pretty much quoted as being 2-3 weeks behind Italy sonyc, about 1-2 weeks behind Spain.

Comparing deaths - which strips out testing limitations - our match to Italy is almost exact - which in itself is shocking given that Italy provided us due warning. And not to beat a dead horse, but our comparison versus Germany, who are our natural economic and political competitor, is doubly shocking. 

Italy v UK & Germany.jpg

Edited by Surfer

37 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Mine was a misquote from Backadder II ('Bob'). I had a good friend who would use that phrase & always assumed he'd got it right. Still think it's an amusing line though.

Ah....the brilliant Miranda Richardson

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Our match to Italy is almost exact - which in itself is shocking given that Italy provided us due warning. And not to beat a dead horse, but our comparison versus our natural economic and political competitor is doubly shocking. 

Italy v UK & Germany.jpg

Yes, it was the timing I was commenting on Surfer.

As your graph shows, our peak was a good 2 weeks or so behind that of Italy.

It was indeed Mark, so the point is well taken that we can continue to look to Italy for a prediction.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aggy said:

How’s Italy’s testing compared to ours?

Not been looking at the comparative testing stats Aggy but a glance at Worldometer shows very similar numbers (million per capita - to use a comparative based on the different populations)

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Council having to check properties and businesses in Newquay as locals report seeing too many non locals in the area.

Do they have a legal right to do that KG? I didn't think even the police had authority

16 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not while we are getting under your, and your ilks, skin

No you are not but I am bored stiff with all you lot using this pandemic to vent your fury over the election result and getting Brexit done by relentless point scoring . You don’t care whether it is true or not and try to mask your activities by pretending to be concerned about covid-19 deaths when in fact you don’t really give a sh1t about it. 
on the bright side once the pandemic is over at least we have the stuffing of the hard left to look forward to. 🖕🖕🖕

10 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

No you are not but I am bored stiff with all you lot using this pandemic to vent your fury over the election result and getting Brexit done by relentless point scoring . You don’t care whether it is true or not and try to mask your activities by pretending to be concerned about covid-19 deaths when in fact you don’t really give a sh1t about it. 
on the bright side once the pandemic is over at least we have the stuffing of the hard left to look forward to. 🖕🖕🖕

Going well so far......

image.png.ce49ca5a3ad26f1fbf6881a377515add.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Do they have a legal right to do that KG? I didn't think even the police had authority

Yes they have the right to shut down where they are staying. Some apartments are being let out and second home owners moving in to their properties.

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, Bill said:

ask yorkshire_canary 😏

ladies protesting too much

or how come it is always the same who seem to get themselves worked up about this 🙄

38 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I think you need to go and sit in a garden or other green space and have a quiet word with yourself.

My Mother was living in a very good Care Home - rated as outstanding, and they have lost 20 of their 60 residents since the beginning of April, including my Mother, most of them with other causes of death than the virus on their death certificates, because the Tory governments of the last 4 years have ignored warnings,and failed to act on the results of pandemic exercises, and because we were so late in even beginning to test anyone, and criminally late in beginning testing in Care Homes and allowed mass gatherings like Cheltenham and didn't test anyone entering this country and didn't make people entering this country quarantine themselves and didn't renew our stockpile of PPE... I could go on.

We are an island nation for goodness sake and have one of the highest death rates in the world. We should be comparing ourselves favourably with Australia, New Zealand and South Korea (in effect an island). I think that "Right-thinking people" have every right to vent their fury, in the face of such abject failure. This is not about election results or Brexit, it's about consecutive governments failing to govern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

poor righty, desperate for attention

rather like watching a six year old run into a room full of adults shouting

pee, ****, belly button, drawers

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes they have the right to shut down where they are staying. Some apartments are being let out and second home owners moving in to their properties.

I fear this is quite widespread as the coast is mobbed wherever you go - and no one  is, or will, be going to give a flying fig about whether it is six or eight others you can be with

folk know the police won't do anything so the caution of a few weeks back is out of the window....if only through the Cummings

'Get out of a fine Free card

that will be the response to any challenge

and with a government that is now not a source of authority, but an object of ridicule it will only continue to get worse

Localised virus hotspots being reported where we are (Yorkshire). Tons of people out and congregating in parks, recreation land, none at social distance. Mostly younger generation. Shops full, again difficult to ensure usual distancing. Think the feeling is its receding. Hope they're right.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Comparing deaths - which strips out testing limitations - our match to Italy is almost exact - which in itself is shocking given that Italy provided us due warning. And not to beat a dead horse, but our comparison versus Germany, who are our natural economic and political competitor, is doubly shocking. 

Italy v UK & Germany.jpg

I'm surprised it still matches so well.   I had expected to see ours levelling whereas theirs is still in decline.   

Someone has said it elsewhere but it seems to be very much the case that the virus is not evenly spread.  My local area was hit badly early but the trust is now reporting no deaths in a week down from 65 in a day at peak. Also positive tests not in double figures in my area since April 

Is this the pattern local flare up and decline?  If so it will definitely be localized lockdowns for a time.

Edited by Barbe bleu

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Italy v UK & Germany.jpg

Germany?You are T and I claim my 5 Bratwurst. 

On 23/05/2020 at 12:55, ricardo said:

The foot stampers are out in force.

they still are

in fact more Tory Mp's are joining in the calls for him to go

and there is even a petition calling for the same

meanwhile Johnson's popularity has plummeted to a minus number, and trust in the government is likewise falling

'master don't know best' would seem to be the thought

so you can sign here, and help us rid the government of its own latter day Martin Borman

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-dominic-cummings-must-be-sacked

2 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yes, it was the timing I was commenting on Surfer.

As your graph shows, our peak was a good 2 weeks or so behind that of Italy.

Our peak was a little more plateaued  than theirs  so maybe our tail out  will be a little higher due to extra infections  dispersed during that plateau. Have no evidence, seems common sense. 

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Localised virus hotspots being reported where we are (Yorkshire). Tons of people out and congregating in parks, recreation land, none at social distance. Mostly younger generation. Shops full, again difficult to ensure usual distancing. Think the feeling is its receding. Hope they're right.

I think we’re going to get to a point - and it might come sooner than I expected (and probably sooner than it should) - where ‘mostly younger generation’ do go about their lives as normally as possible, but the ‘elder generation’ and those who are at high risk continue to shield. The risk to the ‘younger generation’ is minuscule - none of them want their parents or grandparents to die of course, but shielding those at risk and everyone else trying to get to “the new normal” makes most sense for everyone. 

• Like 1

I think Rishi effectively saying “no” when asked if the furlough system will come back if there is a “second wave” as good as rules out any major return to full lockdown. There’s no way the government will enforce full lockdown and not have the furlough lifeline. Unless there is an absolutely massive spike, I think lockdown is only going to go and stay one way now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

I think we’re going to get to a point - and it might come sooner than I expected (and probably sooner than it should) - where ‘mostly younger generation’ do go about their lives as normally as possible, but the ‘elder generation’ and those who are at high risk continue to shield. The risk to the ‘younger generation’ is minuscule - none of them want their parents or grandparents to die of course, but shielding those at risk and everyone else trying to get to “the new normal” makes most sense for everyone. 

Yes, I would guess that we are returning to where we were immediately before lockdown albeit we are now much better set for this than we have ever been. 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

To be honest as this has gone on it seems to be a valid policy option, protect the vulnerable, the rest get on with life and they make their own choices about their level of exposure with the knowledge that some unfortunately will have a fatal clinical outcome. Not the only policy option but one of many.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

they still are

in fact more Tory Mp's are joining in the calls for him to go

and there is even a petition calling for the same

meanwhile Johnson's popularity has plummeted to a minus number, and trust in the government is likewise falling

'master don't know best' would seem to be the thought

so you can sign here, and help us rid the government of its own latter day Martin Borman

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-dominic-cummings-must-be-sacked

I suspect BJ is still suffering from the longer term effects of having the virus

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Italy v UK & Germany.jpg

Still so much we don’t know Surfer to make sweeping comparisons. I think it will be a long, long time if ever before we know the full facts of how the virus spread and the definitive reasons why and how countries were differently affected. 

I want to be clear I’m not making excuses for the government, they’re actions deserve scrutiny during and a thorough investigation after. I don’t see how locking down earlier couldn’t have been beneficial for instance.

That said there’s a lot of variables that will be having a factor so I’m not sure how accurate just comparing death graphs between countries is personally, until we know much more about just how, to what extent and when the virus spread we won’t have a clear picture.