Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Far too early for me.

Does seem very early but they gave data from swden and germany to guide them. 

If the spread is mainly institutional and if these are contained I cant see much harm would arise from careful relaxation..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see death rate plummeting. Congratulations for the excellent job the government are doing overall. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

It's not going well is it? 

So obvious that the PM and Cabinet are in full "protect Dominic" mode. And so people will naturally start to question decisions like "shops opening" - is it justified, is it being done to deflect from this PR crisis because it is a "positive sign of progress" 

That is what happens when you trash all credibility.

And far from this all blowing over as the rightys have tried to project, we have

"A SavantaComRes survey showed the prime minister’s net approval rating had fallen 20 points, down from 19 to -1, over the course of four days during the Cummings crisis. Polling for YouGov found 71% of people said Cummings did break lockdown rules, slightly up from 68% when asked on Saturday. It found this was the majority view across voters from all major parties and among both leavers and remainers."

With the number of Tory MPs publicly calling for Cummings to resign up to 24

And with the now almost certainty that the transition period will have to be extended the new slogan will soon be

'Get him out'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

His was the best question though. He didn't question what Dominic Cummings had done. He questioned how the rules were interpreted for other people. It may be very difficult to answer without it appearing to be different rules for different people. We shall see. Or maybe not....

He’s going to look at it and review it before giving a full answer. I’d have thought he could quite clearly have come out and said that if you were travelling for childcare purposes you shouldn’t have been fined. That’s what we were told yesterday. Why does he need to think about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   On 24/05/2020 at 14:06,  T said:

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 
 

The real question is why you keep bleating on about Brexiteers who you label as the hard right when you should grow up and accept that many of us were just fed up with the corrupt, self-serving panjandrums that populate the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bagster said:

The majority of the country don't really give a f..k but if MSM make enough of a fuss then they will get what they want.

Ah well you have just described the entire problem with "populist politics" ... it's been a problem every time it's been tried as eventually the ringleaders lose control to the mob... so live by the (verbal) sword, die by the (verbal) sword. No sympathy there I'm afraid....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Iis it being done to deflect from this PR crisis because

We have a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

15 june non essential shops allowed to open.   What are peoples thoughts on this? (No one is allowed to bring the conversation back to Cummings by use of the word 'distraction'

 

I'm accepting synonyms 

Edited by Barbe bleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

If only a limited number of pubs did open i guess there could be a rush and over crowding here regardless of advice.  Maybe the thinking is that it's all of nothing and not give the choice to pubs that could open?

I could do with a beer garden right now though...

Also I imagine keeping drunk people socially distanced would not be much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been to the rising sun today. Sausage and chips with 2 pints of wherry in a container. Took a pint glass with me and sat by the river, lovely old job 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Herman said:

Some good to come out of this. Marina Hyde has one of her phrases trending on twitter. "Johnson's Hasselhoff".

Brilliantly talented writer whatever your politics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aggy said:

He’s going to look at it and review it before giving a full answer. I’d have thought he could quite clearly have come out and said that if you were travelling for childcare purposes you shouldn’t have been fined. That’s what we were told yesterday. Why does he need to think about it?

Because it will open a pandora's box.

Anyone fined can claim they were doing it for childcare - as Cummings has stretched that  qualification to it's further limits  So a court would have to risk losing a test case, or simply have the government refund ALL the fines - and as for my part I am not sure of the legal validity of them anyway.

To have to refund would bring the whole lockdown process into question, whereby others might claim that they lost by sticking to a law that has now proven to be flawed.

As pointed out on Saturday this has huge ramifications and will not so much rumble on as to cause far wider problems for the government

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Thanks CC. She makes a similar point to what I have posted previously - not that it's a particularly original one. But still.... 

This will be the last word from me on the specific DC subject, back to CoronaVirus data and trends. 

 

Cummings’ university history tutor once described him as "something like Robespierre, “determined to bring down things that don’t work”. Five years after his revolution, Robespierre himself was deemed to be something that didn’t really work, and was “brought down”, to euphemise the business of being relieved of your head in front of an ecstatic mob. I must say I found the footage of Cummings being screamed at in his street on Sunday distinctly disturbing when set alongside his account of his family’s house having become a target for threats of violence. This is never right. 

Part of what’s disturbing was the vignette of a Britain Cummings himself did much to foment: grimly polarised, reflexively aggressive and running with an undercurrent of menace. His crowning triumph – the successful campaign to leave the EU – was a masterclass of stoking and exploiting divisions, unpleasantly emotive half-truths or untruths, and evidently considered itself above the law. I wrote last year about the dangerous folly of whipping up people versus parliament narratives, and how quickly those who imagine themselves on the side of the people can suddenly be reclassified as an enemy politician. But even I would have thought it too neat, too written, for Cummings to find himself on the wrong end of his sorcery as quickly as he has been. The thing about playing to angry mobs is that eventually they get angry with you. They came for Robespierre in the end, too.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:
   On 24/05/2020 at 14:06,  T said:

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 
 

The real question is why you keep bleating on about Brexiteers who you label as the hard right when you should grow up and accept that many of us were just fed up with the corrupt, self-serving panjandrums that populate the EU.

But for you to congratulate this Government is firmly nailing your blinkers to the side of your head. We all know your leanings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Good to see death rate plummeting. Congratulations for the excellent job the government are doing overall. 👍

Yep, 60,000+ dead good job. So good that Cyprus are opening their tourist industry for everyone else but banning Brits. Well done for the the most tasteless post on this thread

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

We have a winner!

Appreciate that you are desparate to keep politics out of this, although only because of the systemic failure of the government. But this again looks like it is driven by the politics rather than the science. Timing gives the game away, a desparate attempt to take Cummings off the front pages.

Simple fact is the UK is not ready. With an R number of 0.7 to 1 and no track, trace and isolate up and running or detailed protocols. It wouldn't take much to prompt a spike or second wave. Not to say that it couldn't be achieved by the 15th, but the government has failed to hit any deadlines to date so you would guess they won't be ready to meet this one.

August 1, like Scotland with their schools would be a better idea. It could be done properly then, rather than half arsed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cos limited  capacity doesnt pay the Bills, let alone make a profit. 

 There may be the odd exception, fully owned pubs with large rooms/ outside  spaces, other than them cant see how it's worth their while opening. 

Maybe, but possibly if you could get even 20 customers in at a time, a pub could at least reduce the losses it might be making? Especially if it does food. And takeaway food 

I suggest this because where I live "pubs and bars" were shut from the end of March until yesterday, but "Restaurants with alcohol licences" were permitted to open. There was a restriction of 20 people per establishment, many places were shut but several decided to stay open. I assume the places that opened thought it financially viable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:
   On 24/05/2020 at 14:06,  T said:

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 
 

The real question is why you keep bleating on about Brexiteers who you label as the hard right when you should grow up and accept that many of us were just fed up with the corrupt, self-serving panjandrums that populate the EU.

That’s brilliant yet a high ranking advisor to our PM can flaunt the rules without any apology or comeback, basically corrupting the system in place...... So the thing you’re angry about the EU, it’s ok for the UK government to do!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the 'rights or wrongs' of Cumminsgate there is little doubt now that he is a dead man walking (as they say). BJ has a decreasing amount of options left as even traditional supporters are baying for blood. Be in no doubt that what will be happening right now is that new potential 'advisers' are being sounded out and 'talks' taking place. Once the ducks are in a row,  BJ wIll phone Cummings and agree the customary 'exchange of letters' and the boy Cummings will be sacrificed to 'save the PM'. 

The largely REMAIN media will delight at their victory and plot their next move against a weakened PM and divided Government. I'm only surprised one Gina Miller hasn't thrust herself into the cameras whipping up populist rage against 'the Tories'. 

Now I would 'love it, absolutely love it' (to coin that famous phrase) if BJ then held a live TV news conference and unveiled his new political adviser. Who was that guy who (a few years ago, like him or not) could walk on to a stage and speak without notes or autocue and 'whip up an audience'? You know the 'closet Tory', 'womaniser' (would go down a storm with BJ!)? You know the guy who has tried about seven or eight times to be an MP but failed?? Surely you can recall his name can't you. You know, the guy who 'has the ear' of the American President. No - couldn't be HIM surely to God??? Now THAT would be something worth watching as many of you on this forum literally combust with fury! He hasn't got a job at the moment so............................????          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, king canary said:

Also I imagine keeping drunk people socially distanced would not be much fun.

Might have hit the nail on the head there.

1 july is my bet, but with limitations. Fuller opening soon thereafter as there will be complaints about competition.

I think we'll be ok by then until autumn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine being such a fckwit that you believe Cummings’ pathetic excuses. Watch the press conference. He struggled to convincingly answer any of the questions without looking completely making it up as he went along. Rabbit in the headlights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BigFish said:

 but the government has failed to hit any deadlines to date so you would guess they won't be ready to meet this one.

The problem is that the government has lost an authority on this one.Anyone out today would see that it was 'business as usual - no one distancing or anything else.

Johnson has to pretend it is the government's guidance, where in reality it is simply being ignored

While businesses can be prosecuted the average person cannot - when everyone else is doing the same. Policing is done by consent. Not by rule

Pubs are already serving drink and will continue to do so, bending the rules day by day

The Prince of Wales in Primrose Hill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Whatever the 'rights or wrongs' of Cumminsgate there is little doubt now that he is a dead man walking (as they say). BJ has a decreasing amount of options left as even traditional supporters are baying for blood. Be in no doubt that what will be happening right now is that new potential 'advisers' are being sounded out and 'talks' taking place. Once the ducks are in a row,  BJ wIll phone Cummings and agree the customary 'exchange of letters' and the boy Cummings will be sacrificed to 'save the PM'. 

The largely REMAIN media will delight at their victory and plot their next move against a weakened PM and divided Government. I'm only surprised one Gina Miller hasn't thrust herself into the cameras whipping up populist rage against 'the Tories'. 

Now I would 'love it, absolutely love it' (to coin that famous phrase) if BJ then held a live TV news conference and unveiled his new political adviser. Who was that guy who (a few years ago, like him or not) could walk on to a stage and speak without notes or autocue and 'whip up an audience'? You know the 'closet Tory', 'womaniser' (would go down a storm with BJ!)? You know the guy who has tried about seven or eight times to be an MP but failed?? Surely you can recall his name can't you. You know, the guy who 'has the ear' of the American President. No - couldn't be HIM surely to God??? Now THAT would be something worth watching as many of you on this forum literally combust with fury! He hasn't got a job at the moment so............................????          

oh dear, this has all really passed you by

hasn't it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Appreciate that you are desparate to keep politics out of this, although only because of the systemic failure of the government. 

I'm not interested in defending or attacking the government and of i were this is not fertile ground for converting anyone's opinion.

When this story came out it was pretty easy to predict the reaction here (LDC and Indy being the outliers) everyone has had their say but it's still going on. Not much new is being said but everyone wants the final word (i put this in neutral terms as it applies to both sides of the  Brexit divide)

I posted the 'deflection' bit as it was inevitable that it would come up and I wanted a little fun with it. Surprised it took so long before it did come up to be honest.

 

 

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill said:

With the number of Tory MPs publicly calling for Cummings to resign up to 24

And with the now almost certainty that the transition period will have to be extended the new slogan will soon be

'Get him out'

do keep up Bill

".........as at least 32 publicly called for Cummings to resign or be sacked for breaking lockdown rules.

A further eight were publicly critical of the senior aide’s actions, and three Tory MPs said off the record that they thought he should be forced out."

Any thought that there are others who may not have voiced their opinion publicly but have made their thoughts known to the whips ?

So the real question in all this is why Johnson seems unable to remove him

Who really is in charge ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T said:

Brilliantly talented writer whatever your politics. 

And kinda cute too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bit concerning this, serious consideration as to whether BJ is actually suffering some sort of mental health disorder, its crossed my mind several times watching him since his illness.

Professor Ed Bullmore, a neuroscientist at Cambridge University, said there was enough evidence now to describe the Sars-CoV-2 virus as causing a “neurotoxic illness” and said it was possible the psychiatric effects could last beyond a decade.

He said research had shown that a number of Covid-19 patients experienced a “kind of altered mental state”, adding that this included “cases of psychosis mood disorder and cognitive impairment”

“We don’t know necessarily the causes of that neurotoxicity. It could be that the virus infects the brain; it could be that the immune response to the virus damages the brain, or it could be the blood supply to the brain. All those mechanisms look plausible at the moment.”

He said data from the previous Sars and Mers coronavirus infections showed the potential for long-term damage.

“When you look at the sort of longer-term psychiatric sequelae [disease consequences] of those epidemics, they’re pretty severe.

“Up to 12 years of follow-up after the acute illness. They were finding quite high frequencies of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, insomnia and mild cognitive impairment. This is an illness that we need to take very seriously from a psychiatric and neurological point of view, not just right now, but perhaps for months and years to come.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I'm not interested in defending or attacking the government and of i were this is not fertile ground for converting anyone opinion.

When this story came out it was pretty easy to predict the reaction here (LDC and Indy being the outliers) everyone has had their say but it's still going on. Not much new is being said but everyone wants the final word.

I posted the 'deflection' bit as it was inevitable that it would come up and I wanted a little fun with it. Surprised it took so long for it to come up to be honest.

 

 

Bb, I think as VW posted regarding a survey, 7/10 disagree with how DC behaved, 2/10 are okay with the issue and are supportive whilst 10% do not really have a view. Those percentages seem to represent the numbers quite well here, the Pinkun forum (on this issue) as a perfect microcosm. You have hinted who may be where already.

So, it's a little lonely being in the 10% I'm guessing?

It will blow through like any storm and wind. But here you are still trying to walk through it all, even with your best souwester on!

Timing, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...