Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Interesting little side note, in the UK and average of 1500 people will die today, an average of 460 or these will die each day of heart disease, around 350 will die of cancer. 
As scary as this virus is, I’d love to know how much this will go up by in next years figures. Are we doing enough in other areas of our lives when so much cost is being used on this virus when other diseases appear to just be looked upon as life style choices? 

I think health is very paradoxical. The further science manages to develop the longer people live. The more people in the world, the more problems. Especially as people are living longer as well.

My cancer was, we can never say cured, removed by a robot. A few years ago, I wouldn't still be here. And I may now live for long enough to take out more in pension than I ever put in. And in the meantime, I may have to go to hospital numerous times. And I receive medication daily for which I don't have to pay for. My mother in law had a hip replacement at 88.

I don't personally think the NHS can continue the way it is funded now. There maybe has to be a separate form of National Insurance that goes to it. I do not want to see those who can afford it use it but so much of its time and money is being taken up by those who are no longer contributing.

Never will there be a better opportunity to put 5% on tax and pass it on to the NHS. They won't do it though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Interesting little side note, in the UK and average of 1500 people will die today, an average of 460 or these will die each day of heart disease, around 350 will die of cancer. 
As scary as this virus is, I’d love to know how much this will go up by in next years figures. Are we doing enough in other areas of our lives when so much cost is being used on this virus when other diseases appear to just be looked upon as life style choices? 

I think health is very paradoxical. The further science manages to develop the longer people live. The more people in the world, the more problems. Especially as people are living longer as well.

My cancer was, we can never say cured, removed by a robot. A few years ago, I wouldn't still be here. And I may now live for long enough to take out more in pension than I ever put in. And in the meantime, I may have to go to hospital numerous times. And I receive medication daily for which I don't have to pay for. My mother in law had a hip replacement at 88.

I don't personally think the NHS can continue the way it is funded now. There maybe has to be a separate form of National Insurance that goes to it. I do not want to see those who can afford it use it but so much of its time and money is being taken up by those who are no longer contributing.

The problem comes from my conversation the other day, ageing population have jumped massively, like I said go back 40 years and most weren’t making it 70!
As you say the toll on the NHS is possibly going to break it I wasn’t aware that nearly 1500 people die daily on average.

Having also supported two younger family members through cancer, I know first hand just how big an impact it has and for retirement, well I was well placed to do so a month ago, now, not so much, pretty much a third of my savings in my pension gone! Work stopped and luckily for me have a few months worth of savings to tide us over.

Its more of a worry is what are we going to have left after this is done! Are we going to have a quick bounce back as normality of what was before comes back or will the financial strains on every country kill major companies leading to a depression. That could well kill the NHS as it is.

But looking at things as Bill pointed out the revenue generated from unhealthy products is massive to the economy, governments haven’t always done enough in other areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Never will there be a better opportunity to put 5% on tax and pass it on to the NHS. They won't do it though 

Tax on who? Those without a job? Others will say why not charge for treatment as a fairer way?

How about adding tax to those pensioners who need the NHS treatments?

It’s all well and good saying add 5% Tax but that’s unfair to those who are now probably having to work longer to rest their pensions for all the money they’ve lost!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Indy said:

But looking at things as Bill pointed out the revenue generated from unhealthy products is massive to the economy, governments haven’t always done enough in other areas.

Nor will we when we have ministers in the pay of firms who are profiting massively from selling unhealthy producys with little in the way of paying the cost. Liam Fox and David Davis are both funded by US food producers, so where wthe value of their advice or input to the debate ?

Post war pension arrangements were based ona far lower mortality rate and a greater percentage of folk paying rent. Which has now given us a society where the retired are often far better off than those at work. But no government will bite on the bullet and means test the state pension. The  NHS is affordable. HS2 is neither affordable or necessary, similarly private schools avoiding tax by being 'charities.

As said billions wasted on housing benefit that could be used to actually build decent housing. Landowners enjoying enormous tax advantages when we don't even know exactly who owns appoximately 50% of the land. How can we accept that bui;lding land is a hideous price, whereas if it is not build on it is a fraction of the worth ?

For any change to happen we need a change in people's grasp of what is what. The last few years have shown that is further away than it ever was. At least in 1945 voters knew what was wrong and what needed doing. Most know have not the slightest. As the wealthy have used the control of the media to make sure that is the case.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Nor will we when we have ministers in the pay of firms who are profiting massively from selling unhealthy producys with little in the way of paying the cost. Liam Fox and David Davis are both funded by US food producers, so where wthe value of their advice or input to the debate ?

Post war pension arrangements were based ona far lower mortality rate and a greater percentage of folk paying rent. Which has now given us a society where the retired are often far better off than those at work. But no government will bite on the bullet and means test the state pension. The  NHS is affordable. HS2 is neither affordable or necessary, similarly private schools avoiding tax by being 'charities.

As said billions wasted on housing benefit that could be used to actually build decent housing. Landowners enjoying enormous tax advantages when we don't even know exactly who owns appoximately 50% of the land. How can we accept that bui;lding land is a hideous price, whereas if it is not build on it is a fraction of the worth ?

For any change to happen we need a change in people's grasp of what is what. The last few years have shown that is further away than it ever was. At least in 1945 voters knew what was wrong and what needed doing. Most know have not the slightest. As the wealthy have used the control of the media to make sure that is the case.

 

That’s fair comment Bill, but as I’ve worked offshore then abroad now here as self employed own my own business but have paid massive amounts of tax in my lifetime, I’ve had to manage my own pension as every few years my age group goes out further for state pension, now I’ve got very low work requirements as price of oil has bombed and future contracts on hold. I’m not entitled to any help under the current government and I’ve lost massive amount in my pension......yes from a personal point of view I’m not really happy with the way this has hit me and I’m certainly not happy to then fund the future NHS with any additional tax when others like pensioners as you correctly say are in some areas better off than the employed.

I think it’s time for everyone to pull together now then all taxed the same to including those on pensions to contribute to fund the NHS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Indy said:

I can See why, but feeling it’s a little toothless!

It isn't at our dentist. I rang this morning about cancelling a routine check up, scale and polish and was told that they now are only seeing emergencies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Indy) You highlight one of the many problems witha system that is geared towards appeasing certain sections of voters rather than addressing what is required.

Certain pensioners able  to 'unlock' their pensions so as to be able to 'buy to let' to younger workers being hit by high rents.

Treating the retired as one homongenous group has caused so much of the current imbalance. Does an 80 year old really need the same income as a young family.Should we be offering tax exemptions to private schools while underfunding the rest ?

People in your position are not being treated on merit but on how many votes you count in total.

Folk need to better educate themselves

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson to address the nation at 8-30 tonight, sounds like its a big announcement then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JF said:

Johnson to address the nation at 8-30 tonight, sounds like its a big announcement then

He was in a meeting at 5 - not convinced there's anything massive coming tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JF said:

Johnson to address the nation at 8-30 tonight, sounds like its a big announcement then

He's going to finally tell us how many children he actually has.

Either that or hopefully help for self employed people like yourself,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Herman said:

He's going to finally tell us how many children he actually has.

Either that or hopefully help for self employed people like yourself,

He’s cancelled Brexit and another referendum will take place in two years.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Boris announcing full lock down on TV now. Measures to be reviewed after three weeks.

People only allowed to leave homes for one form of exercise at day, to shop for necessities, or to go to work.

All clothing, electronic and non-essential shops to close (wonder if Amazon is affected).

No gatherings of more than two people outside of the home.

Edited by Icecream Snow
updated details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clear as mud. I can’t work from home so I guess listening to that I can still go to work!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JF said:

Clear as mud. I can’t work from home so I guess listening to that I can still go to work!? 

Yes, there's a follow up program on BBC now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank goodness they've acted. Better late than never.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the main difference to previous advice is that the police now have powers to break up gatherings and fine people, which should hopefully deter those who weren’t following the advice already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JF said:

Clear as mud. I can’t work from home so I guess listening to that I can still go to work!? 

Started with a clear message, rambled into ambiguity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JF said:

Clear as mud. I can’t work from home so I guess listening to that I can still go to work!? 

My understanding is you only go if your work is classed as essential, but don’t quote me on that. I think most people will still get in their cars for work in the morning, what about Norwich Union, will they still be working ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

There are police? What do they look like, how will we know if we see one?

Fair point!

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

My understanding is you only go if your work is classed as essential

That’s what I’d understood previously, but based on Boris’ briefing just now I’m not so sure. He didn’t refer to essential work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

My understanding is you only go if your work is classed as essential, but don’t quote me on that. I think most people will still get in their cars for work in the morning, what about Norwich Union, will they still be working ?

Honestly I’m absolutely confused by it. I’m working on a building site with one other person on site and at this moment in time I don’t know if I should be going in or not!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JF said:

Clear as mud. I can’t work from home so I guess listening to that I can still go to work!? 

Aye, it is a tad confusing. I can't work from home either, my work isn't classed as essential, but I work with live produce so it needs looking after or this disaster will last long into next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect we will get some clarity later this evening on what 'essential' means? Also you'd expect employees to begin contacting their staff tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Aye, it is a tad confusing. I can't work from home either, my work isn't classed as essential, but I work with live produce so it needs looking after or this disaster will last long into next year.

Glad I got me parsnip seeds today!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you allowed to visit the local knocking shop provided you maintain the 2 metre distance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...