Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, JF said:

There are millions of people in this country alone in that at risk group. Let’s get the tests done properly first 

If we don’t focus on stabilising the future the same and more will be at much the same risk from other factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Indy said:

If we don’t focus on stabilising the future the same and more will be at much the same risk from other factors.

That may well be the case but to vaccinate literally millions and millions of people before proper testing will not happen. Have you seen the government list of people that are at significant risk of severe illness from this disease? I’d wager it’s pushing close to 15-20 million people in this country alone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Indy said:

If we don’t focus on stabilising the future the same and more will be at much the same risk from other factors.

I believe your points Indy. A recession is a real possibility and even a long depression. The window will start closing in summer if we (global 'we') cannot get this under control and nations regain confidence. Discussions on here about football are fine (indeed are they not a distraction that helps us express our worries?) but there are bigger societal and economic concerns....thank goodness the Imperial College's warnings are being acted upon (in my view).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JF said:

That may well be the case but to vaccinate literally millions and millions of people before proper testing will not happen. Have you seen the government list of people that are at significant risk of severe illness from this disease? I’d wager it’s pushing close to 15-20 million people in this country alone

Way over estimated, it’s significantly lower at around 15% of the population, and 21% of that 15% at significant risk. It’s already been said worst case for deaths would be between 260,000 to 500,000. That’s if 80% of the population get infected. We can’t be rabbits in the headlights and not see the bigger picture.

Edited by Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Way over estimated, it’s significantly lower at around 15% of the population, and 21% of that 15% at significant risk. It’s already been said worst case for deaths would be between 260,000 to 500,000. That’s if 80% of the population get infected. We can’t be rabbits in the headlights and not see the bigger picture.

How is it over estimated? The government have published the list of people who are at risk of severe illness from this and told them to take extra measure in social distancing, and in all honesty I’d say 15-20 million maybe an under estimate. In the uk alone 1.1 million children and 4.4 million adults have asthma. How many people are over 70 in the uk? Heart disease, Liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s, motor neurone, multiple sclerosis among many others are all on that list and anyone that’s overweight with a bmi of 40 or over

edit: also anyone that’s pregnant 

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JF said:

How is it over estimated? The government have published the list of people who are at risk of severe illness from this and told them to take extra measure in social distancing, and in all honesty I’d say 15-20 million maybe an under estimate. In the uk alone 1.1 million children and 4.4 million adults have asthma. How many people are over 70 in the uk? Heart disease, Liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s, motor neurone, multiple sclerosis among many others are all on that list and anyone that’s overweight with a bmi of 40 or over

edit: also anyone that’s pregnant 

 

As already posted several times those you mention are not at risk, you’re the type which has added to the overreaction leading a potentially catastrophic future.

The table of those effected......

AGE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases 
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old 
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old 
 
8.0%
60-69 years old 
 
3.6%
50-59 years old 
 
1.3%
40-49 years old 
 
0.4%
30-39 years old 
 
0.2%
20-29 years old 
 
0.2%
10-19 years old 
 
0.2%
0-9 years old 
 
no fatalities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Indy said:

 

As already posted several times those you mention are not at risk, you’re the type which has added to the overreaction leading a potentially catastrophic future.

The table of those effected......

AGE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases 
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old 
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old 
 
8.0%
60-69 years old 
 
3.6%
50-59 years old 
 
1.3%
40-49 years old 
 
0.4%
30-39 years old 
 
0.2%
20-29 years old 
 
0.2%
10-19 years old 
 
0.2%
0-9 years old 
 
no fatalities 

Ok I’ll completely ignore the direct advice from the department of health and social care today and listen to the opinions of some bloke called Indy on the pink un forums....

also I didn’t say death rate I said significantly higher chance of severe illness 

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JF said:

Ok I’ll completely ignore the direct advice from the department of health and social care today and listen to the opinions of some bloke called Indy on the pink un forums....

also I didn’t say death rate I said significantly higher chance of severe illness 

Don’t sprint you dummy out of your pram, I haven’t said not to take the advise, I’ve said we must also focus on the future or this virus will just be the tip of the iceberg.

To borrow money to fund this battle doesn’t come from a big bank, the massive impact by locking down has driven us to a very dire and difficult situation.

All I’m saying is there must be focus by all governments away from the virus and to stabilise the global economy and stop it slipping into a depression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Don’t sprint you dummy out of your pram, I haven’t said not to take the advise, I’ve said we must also focus on the future or this virus will just be the tip of the iceberg.

To borrow money to fund this battle doesn’t come from a big bank, the massive impact by locking down has driven us to a very dire and difficult situation.

All I’m saying is there must be focus by all governments away from the virus and to stabilise the global economy and stop it slipping into a depression.

Actually what you said was we should skip the lengthy tests on the vaccine and just vaccinate the at risk groups. As I just pointed out the at risk groups that will receive your rushed untested vaccine is millions and millions of people 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the BBC, school closures in England and Wales means there will be NO exams this year.  It beggars belief.  If true, what do you think?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

According to the BBC, school closures in England and Wales means there will be NO exams this year.  It beggars belief.  If true, what do you think?  

Is this a multiple choice question? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JF said:

Actually what you said was we should skip the lengthy tests on the vaccine and just vaccinate the at risk groups. As I just pointed out the at risk groups that will receive your rushed untested vaccine is millions and millions of people 

But it’s not untested, it’s being tested now, there are several. Those at severe risk as you pointed out could run into the hundred of thousands, Italian lockdown hasn’t stopped the spread, as I said previously today a scientist said that the real spree could be 8 time worse, so it’ll take longer to stop the spread.

So a vaccine is needed, as soon as possible, we’re in a unique position time isn’t on our side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Indy said:

But it’s not untested, it’s being tested now, there are several. Those at severe risk as you pointed out could run into the hundred of thousands, Italian lockdown hasn’t stopped the spread, as I said previously today a scientist said that the real spree could be 8 time worse, so it’ll take longer to stop the spread.

So a vaccine is needed, as soon as possible, we’re in a unique position time isn’t on our side!

Completely agree. But it can only be given when it’s ready and properly tested, as many have said that could well be up to 18 months. As pointed out yesterday by experts, even 18 months is an amazing achievement, not too long ago it would have taken 20 years to get it

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there's a fair chance existing drugs will be able to ameliorate the effects of the virus. Already been tested so can be used immediately.

There's really not enough hard data about the disease. hugely different death rates between different countries. Look at Germany v Spain for example.

 
 
Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China 80,894 +13 3,237 +11 69,614 8,043 2,622 56
Italy 35,713 +4,207 2,978 +475 4,025 28,710 2,257 591
Iran 17,361 +1,192 1,135 +147 5,710 10,516   207
Spain 14,746 +2,920 638 +105 1,081 13,027 563 315
Germany 12,327 +2,960 28 +2 105 12,194 2 147
France 9,134 +1,404 264 +89 602 8,268 931 140
S. Korea 8,413 +93 84 +3 1,540 6,789 59 164
USA 8,020 +1,609 125 +16 106 7,789 12 24
Switzerland 3,076 +334 33 +6 15 3,028   355
UK 2,626 +676 104 +33 65 2,457 20 39
Netherlands 2,051 +346 58 +15 2 1,991 45 120
Austria 1,646 +314 4   9 1,633 12 183
Norway 1,572 +101 6 +3 1 1,565 27 290
Belgium 1,486 +243 14 +4 31 1,441 33 128
Sweden 1,292 +96 10 +2 15 1,267 12 128
Denmark 1,057 +80 4   1 1,052 24 182
Japan 899 +21 29   144 726 41 7
Malaysia 790 +117 2   60 728 15 24
Diamond Princess 712   7   456 249 14  
Canada 648 +50 9 +1 12 627 1 17
Portugal 642 +194 2 +1 4 636 18 63
Australia 565 +110 6 +1 43 516 1 22
Czechia 522 +88     3 519 5 49
Qatar 452 +10     4 448   157
Israel 433 +96     11 422 6 50
Greece 418 +31 5   14 399 13 40
Brazil 387 +41 3 +2 2 382 18 2
Finland 359 +37     10 349 2 65
Singapore 313 +47     114 199 14 54
Pakistan 307 +60 2 +2 13 292   1
Ireland 292   2   5 285 6 59
Poland 287 +49 5   1 281 3 8
Slovenia 286 +11 1     285 4 138
Romania 260 +43     19 241 5 14
Estonia 258 +33     1 257 1 194
Bahrain 255 +14 1   95 159 3 150
Iceland 250 +3     5 245 1 733
Saudi Arabia 238 +67     6 232   7
Chile 238 +37       238 3 12
Indonesia 227 +55 19 +12 11 197   0.8
Thailand 212 +35 1   41 170 1 3
Egypt 210 +14 6   28 176   2
Luxembourg 203 +63 2 +1   201 1 324
Philippines 202 +15 17 +3 4 181 1 2
Hong Kong 181 +13 4   92 85 4 24
India 168 +25 3   14 151   0.1
Iraq 164 +10 12 +1 41 111   4
Ecuador 155 +44 2     153 2 9
Russia 147 +33     8 139   1
Peru 145 +28     1 144 8 4
Kuwait 142 +12     15 127 4 33
Lebanon 133 +9 4   4 125 3 19
San Marino 119   11   4 104 11 3,507
South Africa 116 +31       116   2
UAE 113       26 87 2 11
Armenia 110 +32     1 109 2 37
Slovakia 105 +8       105 2 19
Taiwan 100 +23 1   20 79   4
Turkey 98   1     97   1
Mexico 93 +11     4 89 1 0.7
Colombia 93 +28     1 92   2
Bulgaria 92 +11 2     90   13
Serbia 89 +17     1 88 4 10
Croatia 87 +18     5 82   21
Panama 86 +17 1     85 7 20
Argentina 79   2   3 74 1 2
Vietnam 76 +10     16 60   0.8
Algeria 75 +14 7 +2 32 36   2
Latvia 71 +11     1 70   38
Costa Rica 69 +19       69 3 14
Brunei 68 +12       68 2 155
Albania 59 +4 2 +1   57 2 21
Hungary 58 +8 1   2 55 4 6
Cyprus 58 +9       58 1 48
Faeroe Islands 58 +11     1 57   1,187
Jordan 56 +8     1 55   5
Morocco 54 +10 2   1 51 1 1
Belarus 51 +15     5 46   5
Sri Lanka 51 +7     3 48   2
Uruguay 50         50   14
Malta 48 +10     2 46   109
Palestine 44         44   9
Andorra 39       1 38   505
Oman 39 +6     13 26   8
Bosnia and Herzegovina 39 +5     2 37   12
Georgia 38 +4     1 37 1 10
Cambodia 37 +4     1 36   2
Moldova 36 +6 1 +1 1 34 2 9
Senegal 36 +9     2 34   2
Kazakhstan 36 +3       36   2
Venezuela 36 +3       36   1
North Macedonia 35 +4     1 34 1 17
Azerbaijan 34   1   6 27   3
Lithuania 33 +7     1 32 1 12
Tunisia 29 +2     1 28 2 2
Liechtenstein 28 +9       28   734
Guadeloupe 27 +9       27   67
Martinique 23 +8 1     22   61
Afghanistan 22       1 21   0.6
Dominican Republic 21   1     20   2
Burkina Faso 20 +5 1 +1   19   1.0
New Zealand 20         20   4
Uzbekistan 18 +7       18   0.5
Macao 17 +4     10 7   26
Ukraine 14   2     12   0.3
Bangladesh 14 +4 1 +1 3 10   0.09
Cameroon 13 +3       13   0.5
Jamaica 13       2 11   4
Maldives 13         13   24
Bolivia 12         12   1
Réunion 12 +3       12   13
French Guiana 11         11   37
Paraguay 11 +2       11 1 2
Rwanda 11 +4       11   0.8
Cuba 10 +3       10   0.9
Monaco 9         9   229
Ivory Coast 9 +5     1 8   0.3
Honduras 9 +1       9   0.9
Guatemala 8   1     7   0.4
Nigeria 8 +5     1 7   0.04
Gibraltar 8 +5     2 6   237
Guam 8 +3       8   47
Montenegro 8 +6       8   13
Channel Islands 7 +1       7   40
DRC 7 +4       7   0.08
Ghana 7         7   0.2
Kenya 7 +3       7   0.1
Trinidad and Tobago 7 +2       7   5
Ethiopia 6         6   0.05
Mongolia 6 +1       6   2
Seychelles 6 +2       6   61
Puerto Rico 5         5   2
Guyana 4   1     3   5
Aruba 4 +1       4   37
Equatorial Guinea 4 +3       4   3
Curaçao 3         3   18
French Polynesia 3         3   11
Gabon 3         3   1
Kyrgyzstan 3 +3       3   0.5
Mauritius 3 +3       3   2
Mayotte 3         3   11
St. Barth 3         3   304
Saint Martin 3 +1       3   78
Tanzania 3 +2       3   0.05
Sudan 2 +1 1     1   0.05
Barbados 2         2   7
Benin 2 +1       2   0.2
Greenland 2 +1       2   35
Liberia 2         2   0.4
Mauritania 2 +1       2   0.4
Namibia 2         2   0.8
New Caledonia 2 +2       2   7
Saint Lucia 2         2   11
U.S. Virgin Islands 2         2   19
Zambia 2 +2       2   0.1
Cayman Islands 1   1     0   15
Nepal 1       1 0   0.03
Antigua and Barbuda 1         1   10
Bahamas 1         1   3
Bhutan 1         1   1
CAR 1         1   0.2
Congo 1         1   0.2
Djibouti 1 +1       1   1
Gambia 1         1   0.4
Guinea 1         1   0.08
Vatican City 1         1   1,248
Montserrat 1 +1       1   200
St. Vincent Grenadines 1         1   9
Sint Maarten 1 +1       1   23
Somalia 1         1   0.06
Suriname 1         1   2
Eswatini 1         1   0.9
Togo 1         1   0.1
Total: 216,841 18,623 8,908 941 84,383 123,550 6,868 27.8
Highlighted in green
= all cases have recovered from the infection
Highlighted in grey
= all cases have had an outcome (there are no active cases)
The "New" columns for China display the previous day changes (as China reports after the day is over). For all other countries, the "New" columns display the changes for the current day while still in progress.
tn_it-flag.gif ITALY: Italian media are reporting the change in active cases (a lower number) rather than the change in total cases (a higher number), representing it as "newly infected" when, in fact, it represents the "change in active cases." Newly infected, meaning the number of people who have tested positive to the virus in the last day, is the number shown on the table above, which corresponds to the change in total cases in accordance with the international standards set by the WHO and followed by all countries. The change in active cases (what Italian media label as "newly infected") is the result of the following formula: (newly infected) - (new deaths) - (new recoveries). All data, including total cases ("casi totali") is available on Italy's Dipartimento della Protezione Civile official repository

[back to top ↑]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Van wink said:

Any update on ACE inhibitors

I have stopped mine. Talk to your GP. Take vit D. I can't be on here much for a bit but will obviously continue to obsessively follow the discussion in my spare time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

According to the BBC, school closures in England and Wales means there will be NO exams this year.  It beggars belief.  If true, what do you think?  

If in doubt......tick 'C'.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Apparently there's a fair chance existing drugs will be able to ameliorate the effects of the virus. Already been tested so can be used immediately.

There's really not enough hard data about the disease. hugely different death rates between different countries. Look at Germany v Spain for example. 

 
 
Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China 80,894 +13 3,237 +11 69,614 8,043 2,622 56
Italy 35,713 +4,207 2,978 +475 4,025 28,710 2,257 591
Iran 17,361 +1,192 1,135 +147 5,710 10,516   207
Spain 14,746 +2,920 638 +105 1,081 13,027 563 315
Germany 12,327 +2,960 28 +2 105 12,194 2 147
France 9,134 +1,404 264 +89 602 8,268 931 140
S. Korea 8,413 +93 84 +3 1,540 6,789 59 164
USA 8,020 +1,609 125 +16 106 7,789 12 24
Switzerland 3,076 +334 33 +6 15 3,028   355
UK 2,626 +676 104 +33 65 2,457 20 39
Netherlands 2,051 +346 58 +15 2 1,991 45 120
Austria 1,646 +314 4   9 1,633 12 183
Norway 1,572 +101 6 +3 1 1,565 27 290
Belgium 1,486 +243 14 +4 31 1,441 33 128
Sweden 1,292 +96 10 +2 15 1,267 12 128
Denmark 1,057 +80 4   1 1,052 24 182
Japan 899 +21 29   144 726 41 7
Malaysia 790 +117 2   60 728 15 24
Diamond Princess 712   7   456 249 14  
Canada 648 +50 9 +1 12 627 1 17
Portugal 642 +194 2 +1 4 636 18 63
Australia 565 +110 6 +1 43 516 1 22
Czechia 522 +88     3 519 5 49
Qatar 452 +10     4 448   157
Israel 433 +96     11 422 6 50
Greece 418 +31 5   14 399 13 40
Brazil 387 +41 3 +2 2 382 18 2
Finland 359 +37     10 349 2 65
Singapore 313 +47     114 199 14 54
Pakistan 307 +60 2 +2 13 292   1
Ireland 292   2   5 285 6 59
Poland 287 +49 5   1 281 3 8
Slovenia 286 +11 1     285 4 138
Romania 260 +43     19 241 5 14
Estonia 258 +33     1 257 1 194
Bahrain 255 +14 1   95 159 3 150
Iceland 250 +3     5 245 1 733
Saudi Arabia 238 +67     6 232   7
Chile 238 +37       238 3 12
Indonesia 227 +55 19 +12 11 197   0.8
Thailand 212 +35 1   41 170 1 3
Egypt 210 +14 6   28 176   2
Luxembourg 203 +63 2 +1   201 1 324
Philippines 202 +15 17 +3 4 181 1 2
Hong Kong 181 +13 4   92 85 4 24
India 168 +25 3   14 151   0.1
Iraq 164 +10 12 +1 41 111   4
Ecuador 155 +44 2     153 2 9
Russia 147 +33     8 139   1
Peru 145 +28     1 144 8 4
Kuwait 142 +12     15 127 4 33
Lebanon 133 +9 4   4 125 3 19
San Marino 119   11   4 104 11 3,507
South Africa 116 +31       116   2
UAE 113       26 87 2 11
Armenia 110 +32     1 109 2 37
Slovakia 105 +8       105 2 19
Taiwan 100 +23 1   20 79   4
Turkey 98   1     97   1
Mexico 93 +11     4 89 1 0.7
Colombia 93 +28     1 92   2
Bulgaria 92 +11 2     90   13
Serbia 89 +17     1 88 4 10
Croatia 87 +18     5 82   21
Panama 86 +17 1     85 7 20
Argentina 79   2   3 74 1 2
Vietnam 76 +10     16 60   0.8
Algeria 75 +14 7 +2 32 36   2
Latvia 71 +11     1 70   38
Costa Rica 69 +19       69 3 14
Brunei 68 +12       68 2 155
Albania 59 +4 2 +1   57 2 21
Hungary 58 +8 1   2 55 4 6
Cyprus 58 +9       58 1 48
Faeroe Islands 58 +11     1 57   1,187
Jordan 56 +8     1 55   5
Morocco 54 +10 2   1 51 1 1
Belarus 51 +15     5 46   5
Sri Lanka 51 +7     3 48   2
Uruguay 50         50   14
Malta 48 +10     2 46   109
Palestine 44         44   9
Andorra 39       1 38   505
Oman 39 +6     13 26   8
Bosnia and Herzegovina 39 +5     2 37   12
Georgia 38 +4     1 37 1 10
Cambodia 37 +4     1 36   2
Moldova 36 +6 1 +1 1 34 2 9
Senegal 36 +9     2 34   2
Kazakhstan 36 +3       36   2
Venezuela 36 +3       36   1
North Macedonia 35 +4     1 34 1 17
Azerbaijan 34   1   6 27   3
Lithuania 33 +7     1 32 1 12
Tunisia 29 +2     1 28 2 2
Liechtenstein 28 +9       28   734
Guadeloupe 27 +9       27   67
Martinique 23 +8 1     22   61
Afghanistan 22       1 21   0.6
Dominican Republic 21   1     20   2
Burkina Faso 20 +5 1 +1   19   1.0
New Zealand 20         20   4
Uzbekistan 18 +7       18   0.5
Macao 17 +4     10 7   26
Ukraine 14   2     12   0.3
Bangladesh 14 +4 1 +1 3 10   0.09
Cameroon 13 +3       13   0.5
Jamaica 13       2 11   4
Maldives 13         13   24
Bolivia 12         12   1
Réunion 12 +3       12   13
French Guiana 11         11   37
Paraguay 11 +2       11 1 2
Rwanda 11 +4       11   0.8
Cuba 10 +3       10   0.9
Monaco 9         9   229
Ivory Coast 9 +5     1 8   0.3
Honduras 9 +1       9   0.9
Guatemala 8   1     7   0.4
Nigeria 8 +5     1 7   0.04
Gibraltar 8 +5     2 6   237
Guam 8 +3       8   47
Montenegro 8 +6       8   13
Channel Islands 7 +1       7   40
DRC 7 +4       7   0.08
Ghana 7         7   0.2
Kenya 7 +3       7   0.1
Trinidad and Tobago 7 +2       7   5
Ethiopia 6         6   0.05
Mongolia 6 +1       6   2
Seychelles 6 +2       6   61
Puerto Rico 5         5   2
Guyana 4   1     3   5
Aruba 4 +1       4   37
Equatorial Guinea 4 +3       4   3
Curaçao 3         3   18
French Polynesia 3         3   11
Gabon 3         3   1
Kyrgyzstan 3 +3       3   0.5
Mauritius 3 +3       3   2
Mayotte 3         3   11
St. Barth 3         3   304
Saint Martin 3 +1       3   78
Tanzania 3 +2       3   0.05
Sudan 2 +1 1     1   0.05
Barbados 2         2   7
Benin 2 +1       2   0.2
Greenland 2 +1       2   35
Liberia 2         2   0.4
Mauritania 2 +1       2   0.4
Namibia 2         2   0.8
New Caledonia 2 +2       2   7
Saint Lucia 2         2   11
U.S. Virgin Islands 2         2   19
Zambia 2 +2       2   0.1
Cayman Islands 1   1     0   15
Nepal 1       1 0   0.03
Antigua and Barbuda 1         1   10
Bahamas 1         1   3
Bhutan 1         1   1
CAR 1         1   0.2
Congo 1         1   0.2
Djibouti 1 +1       1   1
Gambia 1         1   0.4
Guinea 1         1   0.08
Vatican City 1         1   1,248
Montserrat 1 +1       1   200
St. Vincent Grenadines 1         1   9
Sint Maarten 1 +1       1   23
Somalia 1         1   0.06
Suriname 1         1   2
Eswatini 1         1   0.9
Togo 1         1   0.1
Total: 216,841 18,623 8,908 941 84,383 123,550 6,868 27.8
Highlighted in green
= all cases have recovered from the infection
Highlighted in grey
= all cases have had an outcome (there are no active cases)
The "New" columns for China display the previous day changes (as China reports after the day is over). For all other countries, the "New" columns display the changes for the current day while still in progress.
tn_it-flag.gif ITALY: Italian media are reporting the change in active cases (a lower number) rather than the change in total cases (a higher number), representing it as "newly infected" when, in fact, it represents the "change in active cases." Newly infected, meaning the number of people who have tested positive to the virus in the last day, is the number shown on the table above, which corresponds to the change in total cases in accordance with the international standards set by the WHO and followed by all countries. The change in active cases (what Italian media label as "newly infected") is the result of the following formula: (newly infected) - (new deaths) - (new recoveries). All data, including total cases ("casi totali") is available on Italy's Dipartimento della Protezione Civile official repository

[back to top ↑]

 

 

I`m not sure using a death rate/recorded cases ratio is a very good measure.

It depends on many factors about the people that are tested.

If you test (for example) your entire military and find 100 cases, then death rates from these confirmed cases will probably will be zero  due to their age and fitness. But if you test only those in the high risk categories that show severe symptoms (as in the UK) then death rates per confirmed cases will be higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

There were rumours that John Travolta had it. Turns out he had Saturday night fever.

It all about stayin alive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

There were rumours that John Travolta had it. Turns out he had Saturday night fever.

He had germs that were multiplying but now confirmed he is staying alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

 

I`m not sure using a death rate/recorded cases ratio is a very good measure.

It depends on many factors about the people that are tested.

If you test (for example) your entire military and find 100 cases, then death rates from these confirmed cases will probably will be zero  due to their age and fitness. But if you test only those in the high risk categories that show severe symptoms (as in the UK) then death rates per confirmed cases will be higher.

Exactly. there's not enough hard data to enable a proper scientific analysis. Unfortunately predictions come down largely to individual judgements at the moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indy said:

You do realise the last time a set of events like this happened over 7 million people died as the consequence of the Great Depression. So it’s not great to focus on the here and now without looking at the bigger picture. Add to that in 1929 there few billion less people on the planet.

Just pointing out that there’s not an endless fund to dish out money. At some point it’s not going to be there and a lot more people will be unemployed.

Stuff the long winded testing on vaccines, get them done fast and vaccinate the at risk group, get normality back before we go past the brink.

The Great Depression was an event that occurred a hundred years ago. 

I absolutely understand the economic hardships of this are going to become absolutely paramount, I just think we are at a stage where life needs to be take precedence over economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

In the contracts thread you reminded me that Footvall is a multi million pound industry and we cant just forget it for now. Seems your saying almost the exact opposite in the post I just  quoted .  ?

Both posted within minutes of each other.  This must be a very complex argument you have with yourself. 

To the contrary. I'm very clear that the preservation of life must be the priority for the government and wider society.

That won't stop those who run football - or any other industry - making their own plans. The individual parts of society won't stop when trying to mitigate the issues presented, will it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to do things the right way, Nice one Mr Neville.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indy said:

You do realise the last time a set of events like this happened over 7 million people died as the consequence of the Great Depression. So it’s not great to focus on the here and now without looking at the bigger picture. Add to that in 1929 there few billion less people on the planet.

Just pointing out that there’s not an endless fund to dish out money. At some point it’s not going to be there and a lot more people will be unemployed.

Stuff the long winded testing on vaccines, get them done fast and vaccinate the at risk group, get normality back before we go past the brink.

Actually there is a 'fund' just as the government are able to conjure up £350bn. Have a read of John Galbreth 'Money whence it came where it went

WARNING....all jokes aside you will not see things the same, once it is explained how the 'money trick' works - and how money can simply be printed

http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/books/galbraith_money.html

I've yet to meet anyone who has not fouund the above incredibly illuminating

And vaccines are 'long winded' to ensure they work. Get it wrong and you could be developing a mutant strain that could cause damage way beyond the damage this one is doing.  Cutting corners to hopefully save a few lives might sound great - but the possibly risks are not even worth contemplating.

And I have great trust and belief in thioe doing the work, knowing that everything is being done with the greatest of urgency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indy said:

That’s not accurate, it only takes into account tested people. Today it was said that real number of infected people are about 8 times that are tested. So that % of deaths isn’t correct, it’s of those tested positive. Thousands have not been tested who are like to have had it or have it.

 

1 hour ago, Molly Windley said:

 

I`m not sure using a death rate/recorded cases ratio is a very good measure.

It depends on many factors about the people that are tested.

If you test (for example) your entire military and find 100 cases, then death rates from these confirmed cases will probably will be zero  due to their age and fitness. But if you test only those in the high risk categories that show severe symptoms (as in the UK) then death rates per confirmed cases will be higher.

Yep, this certainly has to be taken into consideration. My best mate in England told me today that he is a suspected case but hasn't been tested- he just had a phone assessment and was then told to stay at home for a week.

Also, if you look at these cases in the world of football, all of the affected are saying they're fine and showing little to no symptoms. Mikel Arteta said that he's still well enough to go into work, Blaise Matuidi says he has no symptoms and would never have known he had it if he wasn't tested. There are probably many more like this in the 'real world'.

There are probably lots more in the UK, Italy and beyond who have the virus but haven't been tested and therefore don't show up on the figures. The death rate is probably far lower than what the official figures show.

We can't stay in lockdown forever. Do they really expect entire countries to stay barricaded in their homes for months on end, only being allowed to leave home for essential work, medical emergencies and supermarket visits? It's just not practical. There has to be a point when the governments just let us live our normal lives whilst being extra-careful and isolating ourselves as much as we can if we're at risk, i.e. elderly or with underlying health problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they commence testing staff at the hospital I work at soon. Not one one staff member had gone sick with it yet but they’ll be a domino affect (through sheer panic)when it does occur. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...