Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

On 25/07/2022 at 11:25, It's Character Forming said:

Games of Thrones fans (technically A Song of Ice and Fire) will be interested to see George RR Martin cancelled a personal appearance at Comic Con (San Diego) due to Covid concerns.  Hopefully he can spend the time getting the next book in the series finished...or at least progressed.

Maybe, but he seemed to have lost interest in the books when, or maybe even a somewhat before, they were televised - will be surprised if he ever finishes them TBH.

Not entirely sure he knows how to finish them - books 1,2 & 3 seemed to heading towards a distant but eventual conclusion, after 4 & 5 he seemed to have run out of steam - maybe that's unfair but that was my impression at the time (i.e. a while before it was mangled into TV) and so far it still is.

Bump. Now on eighth day positive, every time I think I ‘m over it, comes back to bite and I’m back feeling dizzy etc

Just back from week long coach tour of Scotland on return journey lots of coughing and sneezing 

Turns out at least 70% of passengers have tested positive 

Coaches must be a breeding ground no windows open just circulated air

Another wave kicking off, increased hospitalisations without anything like the levels of surveillance and typing that we were previously benefiting from, going to be a tough winter with predictions of a significant flu epidemic added to the mix.

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

Had my 6th Covid jab a couple of weeks back. Flu jab later this month

Had the flu and covid together on Friday, nicely balanced swelling on each arm.

12 hours ago, Van wink said:

Another wave kicking off, increased hospitalisations without anything like the levels of surveillance and typing that we were previously benefiting from, going to be a tough winter with predictions of a significant flu epidemic added to the mix.

I'm still on Zoe and read Tim's S's thoughts. He has trailled the rise for a while now. Here is his graph - he suggests that our immunity to colds has probably reduced. Makes sense.

Re. Your other later post, you've done very well to get your booster jab and flu jab. No opportunity where we are it appears (have to be over 65) so it may be November-ish I'm guessing. I don't really want to get Covid a second time. 

I'm thinking that masks may need to be worn again routinely (I'm selective based on what I see as risk - probably not very sensible). Some colds can be very serious too. It's a balance because we need exposure to germs etc to build immunity.

Wonder whether the NHS will finally fall over in some trusts if the projections of older people are borne out - not to mention the huge waiting lists. 

I hear lots on the news that this government says Covid is over. It isn't. Hardly any testing now and the trouble starts with those positive being in touch with those more susceptible. 

Covid won’t ever end, it was always the case from day one. There is no way we need to start locking down and playing “curbs” or playground games in shops again.

By that I mean the grown up version of “It” where the objective is to keep well away from a certain person, only in this case it’s everyone.

Lets just get on with our lives and tell the science-loving-experts to put a sock in it. If they had their way, we would be floating in and out of lockdowns while they tweet away loving the attention they are getting with their graphs and hospital figures not to mention inaccurate predictions.

It made the rich, richer and the ripple effects we keep hearing on the news every night, while I am always telling the better half to change the channel.

On a separate note, we haven’t heard anything from a certain scaremongering, government funded organisation that shares its acronym with the name of a herb in quite a while.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I'm still on Zoe and read Tim's S's thoughts. He has trailled the rise for a while now. Here is his graph - he suggests that our immunity to colds has probably reduced. Makes sense.

Re. Your other later post, you've done very well to get your booster jab and flu jab. No opportunity where we are it appears (have to be over 65) so it may be November-ish I'm guessing. I don't really want to get Covid a second time. 

I'm thinking that masks may need to be worn again routinely (I'm selective based on what I see as risk - probably not very sensible). Some colds can be very serious too. It's a balance because we need exposure to germs etc to build immunity.

Wonder whether the NHS will finally fall over in some trusts if the projections of older people are borne out - not to mention the huge waiting lists. 

I hear lots on the news that this government says Covid is over. It isn't. Hardly any testing now and the trouble starts with those positive being in touch with those more susceptible. 

Immunity to colds is bound to have lessened due to lack of exposure and infection, also a similar situation with flu but of course the implications of that are much graver. Add in new Covid infections with undoubtedly new less well defined variants then that’s quite a soup to be making demands on our immune systems this winter, I for one will be wearing a decent mask in crowded areas and continuing with the usual sensible precautions we are all aware of. I am a carer and hence got my jab a bit earlier, the double variant one that we will all get in due course I imagine, if we have bought enough! 

What concerns me is the amount of people who are now going to ring in and say they can't go to work because they probably have Covid when its a seasonal cold.

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

It will be the new brand of Pfizer you get now Sonyc. The Moderna dates ran out yesterday because it was ordered to late. Pfizer ( new brand ) being used from tomorrow, lots of wastage I guess.

• Thanks 1

Well here we are, I think this is the final chapter in our vaccine thread. In this thread we were quoting BioNTech when they said once the pandemic is dealt with they would begin to change the MRNA vaccines to work on cancers, then many other diseases. Many laughed, however, here it is and the news from the trials looks more than positive. We supported Sarah throughout, but I think the people reported in history for changing the course of medicine will be Professors Sahin and Tureci. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63247997

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Well b back said:

Well here we are, I think this is the final chapter in our vaccine thread. In this thread we were quoting BioNTech when they said once the pandemic is dealt with they would begin to change the MRNA vaccines to work on cancers, then many other diseases. Many laughed, however, here it is and the news from the trials looks more than positive. We supported Sarah throughout, but I think the people reported in history for changing the course of medicine will be Professors Sahin and Tureci. 

I hope you are right WBB. Although it seems obscene that we may be saving lives only for people to live far too long, sometimes in misery and loneliness. Medecine is becoming so successful does Mother Nature now want to balance the options.

Its only natural for science to strive to invent or else I wouldn't be "speaking" to you now. But I do believe we need to find a solution to overpopulation.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 10:27, sonyc said:

The Covid booster is now available for all over 50s so I’ve had mine - plenty of appointments so should be ok to get it quickly now if you look on the website @sonyc

• Thanks 1

On 16/10/2022 at 00:49, Well b back said:

Thanks WBB - I've stayed out of this for a while but for me is kind of full circle as how I first got tangentially involved. Cancer.

Edited by Yellow Fever

17 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

The Covid booster is now available for all over 50s so I’ve had mine - plenty of appointments so should be ok to get it quickly now if you look on the website @sonyc

Many thanks ICF. I had a look yesterday and booked one next Monday - at our very local pharmacy (who appear to be doing one day each week). It's great to have the facility this time so locally. In time for the trip to Burnley (though I'm somehow now less looking forward to that than having my booster!🙂).

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 15:14, keelansgrandad said:

I hope you are right WBB. Although it seems obscene that we may be saving lives only for people to live far too long, sometimes in misery and loneliness. Medecine is becoming so successful does Mother Nature now want to balance the options.

Its only natural for science to strive to invent or else I wouldn't be "speaking" to you now. But I do believe we need to find a solution to overpopulation.

Its quality not quantity of life that we strive for KG. In that lies the answer. Decisions on treatment for whatever must always reflect a persons quality of life. Frankly many people towards the end of their lives still competent come to terms with mortality and accept even welcome the end. 

4 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Did you qualify for the seasonal flu jab as well? Surely if over 50s are vulnerable then it would make sense to offer them the free jab.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did you qualify for the seasonal flu jab as well? Surely if over 50s are vulnerable then it would make sense to offer them the free jab.

Depending on where you are or sometimes which GP you are with, you will be offered either

1. The booster and Flu at the same time, one in the left arm one in the right.

2. If you are not offered both at once you will be offered the covid via text / email etc and the flu your GP will call you forward ( most with this option would have already been invited for flu ).

The flu is quite important this year as due to low immunity ( the U.K. will have the same scenario ) the flu season particularly in Australia was not good, however at least the limited strains have hopefully been able to mean a good vaccine has been developed.

Wasn’t really expecting to see Covid chat on here, but in my usual way I do urge those due their booster to come forward. The new Pfizer is also targeting Omicron.

This is still a new disease and it isn’t up to me to persuade anyone to have a vaccine. What I can tell you though is that as it is a new disease there is no certainty about the immunity against serious illness for those that did not take last years booster opportunity.

I don’t really want to start a debate on covid this or covid that but last weeks covid death figure was + 400 and no I don’t know the age or vaccinated splits.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes I think all over 50s qualify for free flu jab too and they offered both jabs together for me, although I’d already had the flu jab at work 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes I think all over 50s qualify for free flu jab too and they offered both jabs together for me, although I’d already had the flu jab at work 👍

No side effects? I was completely fine but know of some who took to their beds. I have had two AZs and two Pfizers

Lost my streak last week. Hadn't had covid at all but then caught it last week. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck for a couple of days but I'm mostly fine now. Had a weird experience with my taste. Most food tasted normal but anything with vinegar in was vile. The vinegar flavour was distorted into a really overpowering chemical type flavour. Odd.

On 18/10/2022 at 17:37, keelansgrandad said:

No side effects? I was completely fine but know of some who took to their beds. I have had two AZs and two Pfizers

I’d had the same jabs as you before and also Covid itself back in March this year. From this jab I had a sore arm for a couple of days but no other side effects.

I’m a massive supporter of the Covid vaccine- the fact that we’re now back to life as normal in the UK is down to the fantastic vaccine research and implementation by the different companies and also credit in the UK to the NHS staff who’ve given the vaccine to us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2022 at 08:09, kick it off said:

Lost my streak last week. Hadn't had covid at all but then caught it last week. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck for a couple of days but I'm mostly fine now. Had a weird experience with my taste. Most food tasted normal but anything with vinegar in was vile. The vinegar flavour was distorted into a really overpowering chemical type flavour. Odd.

Since covid anything with alcohol in it now smells like window cleaner to me, which has been a little irritating 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Since covid anything with alcohol in it now smells like window cleaner to me, which has been a little irritating 

Does it taste like window cleaner too? ****!

Slightly surprising lack of calls for a seasonal booster to be offered to everyone, not just the over 50s and vulnerable people. 

13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Slightly surprising lack of calls for a seasonal booster to be offered to everyone, not just the over 50s and vulnerable people. 

It feels like few people are bothered. There has been no government messaging and people need direction to tell them (again, just my view). Over the past year folk haven't worn face masks much (5% perhaps still do). I think people are taking their chances aren't they? Unless, in the more vulnerable groupings.

It would be interesting to see what cohorts make up hospitalisations and to what degree NHS trusts are struggling with the issue pre winter period. It would be good to know what plans the government has about Covid, about future vaccination plans. And that might include younger people. It would be useful to know more about long Covid and how it is being managed.

All we can do though is read from disparate sources, those stories that help build a picture. Is it just our government or the same with other governments across the world? I don't know.

I do know I've not heard one word about Covid from Coffey, nor Barclay before her, and very little from Javid before him.

Maybe those first 3 vaccination programmes have done the trick? But again, I don't know. WBB who is closer to the frontline of this and may know more. Is it a cost issue?

Personally I would hope the 4th booster can be offered to all and people can decide. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It feels like few people are bothered. There has been no government messaging and people need direction to tell them (again, just my view). Over the past year folk haven't worn face masks much (5% perhaps still do). I think people are taking their chances aren't they? Unless, in the more vulnerable groupings.

It would be interesting to see what cohorts make up hospitalisations and to what degree NHS trusts are struggling with the issue pre winter period. It would be good to know what plans the government has about Covid, about future vaccination plans. And that might include younger people. It would be useful to know more about long Covid and how it is being managed.

All we can do though is read from disparate sources, those stories that help build a picture. Is it just our government or the same with other governments across the world? I don't know.

I do know I've not heard one word about Covid from Coffey, nor Barclay before her, and very little from Javid before him.

Maybe those first 3 vaccination programmes have done the trick? But again, I don't know. WBB who is closer to the frontline of this and may know more. Is it a cost issue?

Personally I would hope the 4th booster can be offered to all and people can decide. 

Hi Sonyc

I get to hear things, but the bit I don’t know is the breakdown between the age cohorts and vaccinated and unvaccinated. I know the initial bit this year was messed up by not only the lack of Moderna, but it’s lateness in arriving, we now exclusively use the new Pfizer, and if it is a cost issue then the amounts of Moderna that passed their use by date and were dumped was alarming.

I can also tell you the week before last saw 400 COVID deaths, however as I mentioned previously I have no idea of the age or vaccination status. I can tell you a lot of people are not taking up the booster, which is concerning simply because this is a new disease still and nobody knows how long you can go without a jab and still be protected against serious illness.

There are lots of long covid clinics being set up, but your GP has to refer you, so a bit of a lottery. I cannot recall those or boosters being advertised at all.

Hope that helps a bit, but I have to agree the government and a sizeable portion of the public are not remotely interested. The winter will tell us wether that was wise or not.

As one final thing I wonder how many of those that advocate the MRNA vaccines are not safe, will be turning them down when they are used as protection against and possible cures for cancer, funny old world.

• Thanks 1