Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Nearly 270k cases on Zoe today, highest ever recorded, not scaremongering but just be aware that we rely on immunity derived from vaccines , as that wanes then things change so just stay safe. There are many in Government and even on here that want us to forget about Covid…don’t forget would be my advice!

Yes the hospitals filling up are being kept a bit quiet. In our trust I understand we have 1400 positives.

Just in time for when free lateral flow tests stop!

Perfect storm, although I fear I'm more likely to be killed in a war.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just in time for when free lateral flow tests stop!

Perfect storm, although I fear I'm more likely to be killed in a war.

Asteroid ☄️ or super 🌋 it’s just a lottery 😂

But seriously I’m still wearing mask in public but now in a vast minority and I make sure to keep cleansing my hands too!

55 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Nearly 270k cases on Zoe today, highest ever recorded, not scaremongering but just be aware that we rely on immunity derived from vaccines , as that wanes then things change so just stay safe. There are many in Government and even on here that want us to forget about Covid…don’t forget would be my advice!

Yes, completely agree. Rates appear at their highest ever. The lead (?) has been rather absent from our government and all measures have been relaxed. If you have Covid you can go into work with it if you wanted to. It is not surprising given a certain level of disinterest from the government that citizens follow. I think people are more accepting now. What pandemic?

Many know of people who've had it two times, if not three.

I read that over 75s will get a 4th jab in autumn as well as the more vulnerable.

The issue is hospitals and their ability to cope. Yet staffing levels are reducing as tired and exhausted people are leaving (400 a day did I read?). I guess we may need to keep an eye on those levels. The usual Twitter number crunchers have been flagging a potential problem for the last month. 

I have included a table below: 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

The trend is worrying. 

It's taken a pandemic to cover up Brexit in a big way, then the Ukraine war has provided cover for Sue Gray (disappeared!...and everyone couldn't wait for her report) and cover of course for Johnson. Covid has been largely hidden. Weird - as @Capt. Pants says above - but our existential concerns and worries are somewhat put into a sharp perspective.

I read that over 75s will get a 4th jab in autumn as well as the more vulnerable.
@sonyc said

The over 75’s are getting a fourth jab sometime soon. 
I will be amazed if the rest of the U.K. don’t get one in the autumn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

Yes, completely agree. Rates appear at their highest ever. The lead (?) has been rather absent from our government and all measures have been relaxed. If you have Covid you can go into work with it if you wanted to. It is not surprising given a certain level of disinterest from the government that citizens follow. I think people are more accepting now. What pandemic?

Many know of people who've had it two times, if not three.

I read that over 75s will get a 4th jab in autumn as well as the more vulnerable.

The issue is hospitals and their ability to cope. Yet staffing levels are reducing as tired and exhausted people are leaving (400 a day did I read?). I guess we may need to keep an eye on those levels. The usual Twitter number crunchers have been flagging a potential problem for the last month. 

I have included a table below: 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

The trend is worrying. 

It's taken a pandemic to cover up Brexit in a big way, then the Ukraine war has provided cover for Sue Gray (disappeared!...and everyone couldn't wait for her report) and cover of course for Johnson. Covid has been largely hidden. Weird - as @Capt. Pants says above - but our existential concerns and worries are somewhat put into a sharp perspective.

I think it is worrying. 

Whereas some complained we overreacted we are now in danger of under reacting. Half that problem is that the government for purely political reasons wants everybody to believe its gone away. 

Its creeping back up on us again, like a tiger stalking a deer.

I had an appointment at my local cottage Hospital yesterday but because cases in Cornwall are the highest per capita, we were informed we had to check if if was OK to attend. Luckily, it was.

I tested +ve on Wednesday, daughter tested +ve on Monday, 2 sons +ve yesterday, that's 4 out of 5 with it.

Surprisingly wife is still -ve, even though she works in school with the little ones.

We all feel shoite, but nothing serious atm.

• Like 1

"Covid admissions to hospitals across England were up by 26 per cent in the week leading up to 16 March compared to the seven days prior, according to the latest data. 

Admissions to the north east and Yorkshire have risen rapidly by more than 52 per cent in just seven days while the south east and south west increased by 24 and 25 per cent."

Over 75’s can in theory now receive fourth from Monday, however this will vary from area to area so some areas maybe a couple of weeks yet. 
I believe on mass up here we will be 2 weeks yet. It will be 6 months from 3rd ( booster ) dose.

Hope that keeps you all updated.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

Over 75’s can in theory now receive fourth from Monday, however this will vary from area to area so some areas maybe a couple of weeks yet. 
I believe on mass up here we will be 2 weeks yet. It will be 6 months from 3rd ( booster ) dose.

Hope that keeps you all updated.

Thanks WBB. Our neighbour, who we look after in terms of errands, washing etc is 84 and pretty immobile so we will make enquiries about him at the Surgery.

There appears to be a real problem developing in the social care sector, particularly residential care. So many staff testing positive and unable to work, I fear for the quality of care being delivered atm, yet those who will suffer will probably remain unheard.

I know (personally) more people with Covid or who've had Covid in the last month (including me and my family) than at any other time during the Pandemic.  We're now pretty much back to living as normal and it's being allowed to run free like flu, coughs, colds and any other respiratory disease normally do (for the first time since the start of the pandemic).

Hospital numbers peaked at 20,000 in January and have been creeping up again, last time I checked they were going towards that level (we have the same issue of how many are in hospital because of Covid and how many "with" Covid, my suspicion is that it's an increasing number where Covid is not the cause.

I suspect we've probably already passed the peak of the latest wave, but I appreciate as VW has pointed out, there's probably a problem with so many people being off in some sectors.  And by the time the next wave comes around, we probably won't actually notice it.

But as a pandemic affecting our health at the national level, it's already over IMO and has been for a while. You can't impose restrictions on 65m people for this.

It's only places like China that are still struggling with it.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 14:55, ricardo said:

Models v Reality update.

If there's an enquiry into Covid and how it's been dealt with, I really hope it looks at the modelling and projections, especially towards the end they seem consistently to have been way over in what they've been projecting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I know (personally) more people with Covid or who've had Covid in the last month (including me and my family) than at any other time during the Pandemic.  We're now pretty much back to living as normal and it's being allowed to run free like flu, coughs, colds and any other respiratory disease normally do (for the first time since the start of the pandemic).

Hospital numbers peaked at 20,000 in January and have been creeping up again, last time I checked they were going towards that level (we have the same issue of how many are in hospital because of Covid and how many "with" Covid, my suspicion is that it's an increasing number where Covid is not the cause.

I suspect we've probably already passed the peak of the latest wave, but I appreciate as VW has pointed out, there's probably a problem with so many people being off in some sectors.  And by the time the next wave comes around, we probably won't actually notice it.

But as a pandemic affecting our health at the national level, it's already over IMO and has been for a while. You can't impose restrictions on 65m people for this.

It's only places like China that are still struggling with it.

At a retirement party last Saturday and lots have since caught it. Mrs KG and I keep taking LFTs and posting negative.

But we do tell people we mix with if we have come into contact with positives and leave it to them to make their own judgement.

Latest ONS numbers have 5m current infections.  As always the ONS numbers are some way behind and my guess is that we've now passed the peak of the current wave.  Hospital numbers back to January level, but the number being mainly treated for Covid is down, as opposed to those with Covid but mainly being treated for something else.

So Covid is now IMO definitely into the endemic stage and I expect we'll see numbers drop sharply from here on.

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Latest ONS numbers have 5m current infections.  As always the ONS numbers are some way behind and my guess is that we've now passed the peak of the current wave.  Hospital numbers back to January level, but the number being mainly treated for Covid is down, as opposed to those with Covid but mainly being treated for something else.

So Covid is now IMO definitely into the endemic stage and I expect we'll see numbers drop sharply from here on.

Sorry but this is way off.

It is now well into the over 75’s and to this end the spring booster has now been reduced from 6 months to 91 days. Did you know that ? I guess not as it’s not been publicised. Those that caught Omicron 1 are also going down with Omicron 2. Hospital numbers are once again effecting other surgery.

We are now at a seven day average death number of 220 per day ( seven day average )

As I did with the boosters I beg anyone eligible for booster 4 ( or 5 for immuno suppressed ) to get it straight away, don’t wait to be called forward.

• Like 1

Virtually everyone I know has either got it or has had it. Mrs KG and I seem impervious. Maybe we should volunteer for the blood trials.

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Sorry but this is way off.

It is now well into the over 75’s and to this end the spring booster has now been reduced from 6 months to 91 days. Did you know that ? I guess not as it’s not been publicised. Those that caught Omicron 1 are also going down with Omicron 2. Hospital numbers are once again effecting other surgery.

We are now at a seven day average death number of 220 per day ( seven day average )

As I did with the boosters I beg anyone eligible for booster 4 ( or 5 for immuno suppressed ) to get it straight away, don’t wait to be called forward.

We are beginning to see a return to crisis in the social care sector, the elderly residents yet again, nobody listening to their voices. Large numbers of staff off with Covid, homes in lockdown, beds blocked in hospitals as patients unable to return to care, the elderly yet again forgotten.

49 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We are beginning to see a return to crisis in the social care sector, the elderly residents yet again, nobody listening to their voices. Large numbers of staff off with Covid, homes in lockdown, beds blocked in hospitals as patients unable to return to care, the elderly yet again forgotten.

And I doubt many will pay for a PCR test if they have a positive LFT so they won't be recorded.

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

And so rife people going in hospital for anything also catching it.

Our area has 1500 staff off. At least care homes and home bound vaccinations ( 4th ) start on Wednesday but won’t be finished till the end of June. I genuinely hope this is not to late.

The daily figures are currently at levels many on here said could never happen and laughed at the modellers.

Lets hope that immunity against serious illness does not wane ( and I am not saying it will ) after 12 months as, as a % the uptake of boosters was low. 

15 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Virtually everyone I know has either got it or has had it. Mrs KG and I seem impervious. Maybe we should volunteer for the blood trials.

How regularly (if at all) have you been testing? You may have had it already and just not known.

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

How regularly (if at all) have you been testing? You may have had it already and just not known.

Every time I mix with a group of people. I play golf three times a week. So three times a week I take a lateral flow test as does Mrs KG.

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

In fact, I have just taken a test because my golf buddy has just text that he has tested positive. We all sat together at a table after the golf on Wednesday and had drinks. No masks and no social distancing. Shaking hands, swapping cards, picking up glasses and cups etc. In fact, in the belief that we, until any dramatic change or variant, just have to get on with it. My inlaws in NZ are under strict conditions and yet at the beginning we thought they had done a wonderful job. Now we see that isolation itself isn't the answer.

And the test is negative.

By the way if you wonder where I am getting all the kits from, I asked all the people I know who didn't want theirs anymore to let me have them. I have seven boxes.

Unless they have a shelf life of course.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Every time I mix with a group of people. I play golf three times a week. So three times a week I take a lateral flow test as does Mrs KG.

More than most then. I had one person in the office yesterday saying out loud on the phone that her adult son has tested positive, she had seen him yesterday. Stayed in the office…..

I went to see the 80’s show two weeks ago in Cromer, stayed the night, was really careful, wore a mask, cleansed my hands yet Monday evening had sniffles and tested positive……it appears this variant is really easy to catch and spread, from what I’ve read you can test negative for up to two days after catching it!

Now two days clear, but really didn’t know I had it, the sniffles went in a couple days and nothing else in symptoms!