Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

14 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Can't see a difference myself............. consistently wrong and thinks the rules don't apply to him........ who does that remind you of ?

Indeed, he stood down from Sage after he let his other half visit him twice during the first lockdown.

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

Is Omicron starting to take off in Europe now or is this still Delta?  Spain 60k, France 84k

Hard lockdown in Holland appears to have checked the rise in numbers.

Cases in the Netherlands have been falling since just before mid-December, this latest lockdown hasn't had time to take effect yet but will accelerate the drop I assume  

13 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Never going to end this isn’t it?. It’s restrictions, new variants, lockdown threats, boosters, restrictions, new variants, lockdown threats, boosters again….. repeat until the day you die.

I just cannot see any way the world’s governments will put an end to it all.

Some of the World's Governments are quite happy and even gloating about the way it has all turned out for Western Democracies.......

39 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Some of the World's Governments are quite happy and even gloating about the way it has all turned out for Western Democracies.......

Lets face it. Its only Nuclear weapons that make many of us powers anyway.

54 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Absolutely disgusting attitude. It’s a world fight against an invisible enemy.

Question for @Well b back really (or anyone else who will know) as I've not found anything to explain. Do you know if you've had a booster and then get a positive Covid test a day later whether the booster will help? Or is it too late effectively? I'm assuming it must have some effect in terms of marshalling your antibodies though of course a positive LFT indicates you probably had Covid before your booster?

My youngest is now self-isolating after two positive LFTs and now hear his girlfriend is too. She had been boosted well before too because of the needs of her job. Both are mainly okay (sore throats, aching limbs) at the moment. Of course that is our Xmas plans over, though health comes first naturally.

Appreciate any knowledge in the community.

2 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

It’s those who are gloating who are treating their populations like dirt and always locking down over single cases, while their mental health goes left, right and centre.

50 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Question for @Well b back really (or anyone else who will know) as I've not found anything to explain. Do you know if you've had a booster and then get a positive Covid test a day later whether the booster will help? Or is it too late effectively? I'm assuming it must have some effect in terms of marshalling your antibodies though of course a positive LFT indicates you probably had Covid before your booster?

My youngest is now self-isolating after two positive LFTs and now hear his girlfriend is too. She had been boosted well before too because of the needs of her job. Both are mainly okay (sore throats, aching limbs) at the moment. Of course that is our Xmas plans over, though health comes first naturally.

Appreciate any knowledge in the community.

My understanding is 5 - 14 days for the booster to kick in, looks like you ( or whoever ) was COVID positive at the time of your booster as the vaccine itself will not show a positive test as it does not give you COVID. A speedy recovery to whoever it was, and at least they will have good immunity for the next 4 or 5 months. After saying all that their second dose should give them some fight against the virus sill.

• Thanks 1

BBC:

Current Covid situation does not justify more restrictions - scientist

The current coronavirus situation in the UK does not justify the imposition of more restrictions, an infectious disease expert has said. 

Prof Francois Balloux, from University College London, tells BBC Radio 4's World at One programme: "It's important to be very reactive. At the moment things don't look horrible, but it wouldn't be the first time there had been underestimates or overestimates of the severity of the situation. 

"But I would think right now I don't think it's a situation that would justify stronger restrictions."

Prof Balloux added that people were behaving "quite carefully" - such as by limiting social contacts - without restrictions being imposed.

And here's more from Prof Balloux - he says London has probably reached the peak of Omicron infections, and other parts of the UK may soon reach it too.

Prof Balloux, from University College London, tells the BBC Radio 4's World at One: "I think in London it has peaked, and in other parts of the country it is kind of peaking or peaking soon. 

"There's a bit of a lag between infections and the cases - it takes a little while for people to test positive. I would say probably infections have peaked and cases probably not yet."

On Wednesday, the UK again recorded its highest ever daily number of coronavirus cases - 106,122 - the first time the number has reached six figures.

Asked if these high number of cases were likely to translate into large numbers of hospital admissions and deaths, Balloux says the UK is in a "more comfortable" situation than in previous waves. 

This is because of increased amounts of immunity in the population through vaccination and previous infections. 

"Yes, I think hospitalisations will go up but not necessarily to a level like we saw in the past," he says.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

840,038 Boosters yesterday.

Boris keeps smashing his hammer down but he can't get it to ring the bell. He wants that million.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

My understanding is 5 - 14 days for the booster to kick in, looks like you ( or whoever ) was COVID positive at the time of your booster as the vaccine itself will not show a positive test as it does not give you COVID. A speedy recovery to whoever it was, and at least they will have good immunity for the next 4 or 5 months. After saying all that their second dose should give them some fight against the virus sill.

Another question WBB.

Do people who do not want to have the jab but end up in hospital or even ICU, get given it anyway? Or is it too late anyway or just against their right?

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Another question WBB.

Do people who do not want to have the jab but end up in hospital or even ICU, get given it anyway? Or is it too late anyway or just against their right?

It’s to late then.

The nurses tell stories of people admitted who ask for the vaccine and crack when they are told it’s to late.

We have a limited supply of anti viral treatments at the moment ( lots on order ) but not sure how they are allocated. When we get the Pfizer pill ( USA have hogged the first 10 million ) that will be a game changer.

On a slightly different subject my best guess is the Israel 4th dose shortly to be announced, will be Pfizer redesigned to fight Omicron. I had my booster end of September so I am expecting dose 4 ( hopefully the adapted Pfizer ) end of January / February, but maybe completely wrong.

National

119,785 - 147          Scotland numbers under reported yesterday, corrected today.

rate of increase of  53.3%            rate of increase down again     1.6 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             1021      Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.2

N&N Patients 

21-12-2021                                     19
20-12-2021 22
19-12-2021 23
18-12-2021 25
17-12-2021 23

Vax     

1st Dose      39,309              89.8% done                               Norwich numbers   78.2%        Booster rate 43.7%     

2nd Dose     53,154              82.1% done                                                                  71.8%

Booster     840,038     total          31,8684,926                55.1%          

In Hospital

22-12-2021                                             8,216
21-12-2021 8,019
20-12-2021 7,819
19-12-2021 7,584
18-12-2021 7,430
17-12-2021 7,501
Edited by ricardo

On 22/12/2021 at 10:03, ricardo said:

My PCR test kit arrived this morning.

How disappointing. This is why I have a Royal Mail red card and not some exciting Christmas present.🤬

18 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Can't see a difference myself............. consistently wrong and thinks the rules don't apply to him........ who does that remind you of ?

Strange, I can see a huge difference - Neil Ferguson broke the rules once and resigned from Sage almost immediately when that became public.

Contrast that with Johnson who has repeatedly broken the rules, defended his mates who broke the rules, and permitted unbridled corruption, all without ever a hint of an apology never mind a resignation. And that is before we get started on the multiple broken promises, the huge mistakes, idiotic decisions and general shambles that he has presided over, indeed largely created himself.

44 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

119,785 - 147          Scotland numbers under reported yesterday, corrected today.

rate of increase of  53.3%            rate of increase down again     1.6 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             1021      Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.2

N&N Patients 

21-12-2021                                     19
20-12-2021 22
19-12-2021 23
18-12-2021 25
17-12-2021 23

Vax     

1st Dose      39,309              89.8% done                               Norwich numbers   78.2%        Booster rate 43.7%     

2nd Dose     53,154              82.1% done                                                                  71.8%

Booster     840,038     total          31,8684,926                55.1%          

In Hospital

22-12-2021                                             8,216
21-12-2021 8,019
20-12-2021 7,819
19-12-2021 7,584
18-12-2021 7,430
17-12-2021 7,501

surprised hospital numbers still low in Norwich since its been raining cases there for a couple of weeks now.

Some amazing extreme differences in Europe right now...maybe the most extreme between UK and Poland...119,000 new cases and 147 deaths here...in Poland 17,000 new cases and over 600 deaths...would like anyone to accurately explain why the difference in the stats...seems  incredible.

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

Some amazing extreme differences in Europe right now...maybe the most extreme between UK and Poland...119,000 new cases and 147 deaths here...in Poland 17,000 new cases and over 600 deaths...would like anyone to accurately explain why the difference in the stats...seems  incredible.

Possibly a % testing but also the lack of vaccinations ie 55%. Have a glance at Portugal ( the other extreme ) with 89% vaccinated. 

18 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

I've seen this is in several countries, I think there are two reasons - firstly number of cases and number of deaths may be properly collated on different days. And secondly, a simple lack of a strict testing regime ie case numbers are far higher than being detected.

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Strange, I can see a huge difference - Neil Ferguson broke the rules once and resigned from Sage almost immediately when that became public.

Contrast that with Johnson who has repeatedly broken the rules, defended his mates who broke the rules, and permitted unbridled corruption, all without ever a hint of an apology never mind a resignation. And that is before we get started on the multiple broken promises, the huge mistakes, idiotic decisions and general shambles that he has presided over, indeed largely created himself.

That's not to say Ferguson wouldn't have done if he had the chance 🤣

32 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

They are in the middle of their Delta wave whereas we are well past peak thanks to opening up in July.  In Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc deaths have deen 4 times ours for several weeks. France Spain and Italy have still not hit peak.

• Like 1

Yep Ricardo, they are in the midst of Delta, so if omicron comes behind it, there should be a level or natural immunity in Europe.

On 19/12/2021 at 21:54, Virtual reality said:

There is a lot of misleading information being widely reported on places such a GMB that have been making these claims but it’s not true 

Your figures are for all admissions ie go in with a broken leg test positive, whereas those needing severe treatments ( icu ) are 90% unvaccinated.

A quote from Javid.

He said 10% of the eligible population – more than five million people – still had not received their jabs, and around nine out of 10 of those needing the most care in hospital were unvaccinated.

Edited by Well b back

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yep Ricardo, they are in the midst of Delta, so if omicron comes behind it, there should be a level or natural immunity in Europe.

91,608 in France tonight. It may be that Omicron turns out to be a saver if it is very mild.

I also notice that London appears to be past peak. It may well be a case of rapid rise and rapid fall as seems to be the case in S.Africa.

Time will tell.

• Like 1