Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Agree, but I wasn’t comparing the two, I was making the point we don’t even flinch at the flu, what point do we do the same with Covid? The numbers of hospitalisation and deaths at the current levels is very much less than some were forecasting, we have a number of viral treatments in conjunction with vaccines and let’s not beat round the bush it’s predominantly those with other life threatening issues who are susceptible from both. Everyone know Covid is far more of a threat, but I think there’s going to be a point where it’s go as we are and there will be deaths, that’s the way of the world. 

Fair comment but the answer is really just an extension or corollary of the one before. When Covid is stable,  largely predictable and  no more of an issue than a typical seasonal flu year. I suspect we are still some way off that as Omicron looks very infectious, far more than flu, and unless it then behaves as a common cold.

If say half of us got proper flu then the NHS would easily collapse. 

32 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Fair comment but the answer is really just an extension or corollary of the one before. When Covid is stable,  largely predictable and  no more of an issue than a typical seasonal flu year. I suspect we are still some way off that as Omicron looks very infectious, far more than flu, and unless it then behaves as a common cold.

If say half of us got proper flu then the NHS would easily collapse. 

Well true, but as you say initial reports look like it’s fairly mild in its symptoms so fingers crossed we get a good result.

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well true, but as you say initial reports look like it’s fairly mild in its symptoms so fingers crossed we get a good result.

it's the unpredictability for sure. at current levels it's a bit of a nuisance but not a big problem. We've seen what can happen if our vaccine wall fails though so I guess the key is gaining trust in that. For me, I'm still confident it will but I appreciate others are more apprehensive.

I'm waiting for my go at the sniffles later this week after being sat watching the panto surrounded by snotty kids this afternoon anyway! Gotta give Dr Pfizer a bit of a test at some point!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

it's the unpredictability for sure. at current levels it's a bit of a nuisance but not a big problem. We've seen what can happen if our vaccine wall fails though so I guess the key is gaining trust in that. For me, I'm still confident it will but I appreciate others are more apprehensive.

I'm waiting for my go at the sniffles later this week after being sat watching the panto surrounded by snotty kids this afternoon anyway! Gotta give Dr Pfizer a bit of a test at some point!

Everyone is going to get it at sometime, hopefully with the vax prog and new medication it will be a mild illness for most of us. The odds are much more in our favour than twelve months ago.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 20:12, Well b back said:

Those with Pfizer 2 doses all seem ok, but it got me wondering. As I was so exposed did my body have to have a fight to kill off any Delta that made its way into me ? Am I know filled with immunity to Delta as well, is being exposed to it to that extreme the same as actually testing positive. Would love to know.

Yes and no.

The vaccine improves your immune's system ability to fight the corona virus. Immunity is not 100% hence you can still find covid-19 in your system and test positive. If you have been exposed to the Delta variant then it could possibly boost your immunity to it further. It depends upon how heavy a dose and how long you were exposed to it. Also, our immune systems are all different. 

National

43,992 - 54

rate of increase of  5.4%     

Local

Norwich   West rate             259.6      Local   R  estimated 0.9 - 1.1

N&N Patients  (falling)

30-11-2021                                   20
29-11-2021 23
28-11-2021 24
27-11-2021 26
26-11-2021 27

Vax     

1st Dose      25,679              88.8% done                               Norwich numbers   77.6% 

2nd Dose     35,719              80.9% done                                                                  70.9%

Booster     448,975     total          20,258,417                35.2%

In Hospital  

02-12-2021                                   7,373
01-12-2021 7,321
30-11-2021 7,652
29-11-2021 7,645
28-11-2021 7,420
27-11-2021 7,395
26-11-2021 7,550

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59542211#comments

seems most of the premise of this is to request treating pandemic preparedness the same way we'd have a defence budget and an army even when we aren't at war.

Its a pretty good point and just like the army, I doesn't mean we'd have a bunch of scientists sat around twiddling their thumbs in times where there is no pandemic etc.

Interesting hearing her comments on Omicron, starting to look like we could have astronomical cases but still keep the vast majority people from hospitalisation if the vaccines still prevent serious illness and death.

I wonder if we'd accept 500k cases a day but no risk from current hospitalisation and death levels?

48 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

seems most of the premise of this is to request treating pandemic preparedness the same way we'd have a defence budget and an army even when we aren't at war.

Its a pretty good point and just like the army, I doesn't mean we'd have a bunch of scientists sat around twiddling their thumbs in times where there is no pandemic etc.

Interesting hearing her comments on Omicron, starting to look like we could have astronomical cases but still keep the vast majority people from hospitalisation if the vaccines still prevent serious illness and death.

I wonder if we'd accept 500k cases a day but no risk from current hospitalisation and death levels?

Wouldn’t 500k per day build up herd immunity in 120 days?

Edited by Indy

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Wouldn’t 500k per day build up herd immunity in 120 days?

I guess in theory it would take 70m people 120 days to get infected at a rate of 500k a day.

Alternatively, if the Omicron rate doubled every day to a peak then halved every day to the end we'd peak at 16m infections on day 24 and infect 48m in 47 days 😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Haven’t read the article but it’s not just about scientists. The government has underfunded the nhs for decades and then seemed surprised when it didn’t have enough beds, masks or protective equipment. As we’ve been saying, hospitals are almost overwhelmed virtually every year, the waiting lists were a joke before covid etc etc. That’s not just because we haven’t got an army of scientists waiting for a pandemic, it’s because the funding has been a shambles for ages.

As to the last question, why would we not? If you could guarantee hospitals wouldn’t be overwhelmed, you surely wouldn’t care less how many cases there are - same way we don’t care how much common cold there is.

National

51,459 - 45

rate of increase of  9.1%     Omicron is here.

Local

Norwich   West rate             285.5      Local   R  estimated 0.9 - 1.1

N&N Patients  (falling)

30-11-2021                                20
29-11-2021 23
28-11-2021 24
27-11-2021 26

Vax     

1st Dose      21,995              88.9% done                               Norwich numbers   77.6% 

2nd Dose     27,166              81% done                                                                  70.9%

Booster     290,165     total          20,580,644                35.8%

In Hospital  

03-12-2021                                 7,268
02-12-2021 7,383
01-12-2021 7,327
30-11-2021 7,658
29-11-2021 7,652
28-11-2021 7,426

43 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Haven’t read the article but it’s not just about scientists. The government has underfunded the nhs for decades and then seemed surprised when it didn’t have enough beds, masks or protective equipment. As we’ve been saying, hospitals are almost overwhelmed virtually every year, the waiting lists were a joke before covid etc etc. That’s not just because we haven’t got an army of scientists waiting for a pandemic, it’s because the funding has been a shambles for ages.

As to the last question, why would we not? If you could guarantee hospitals wouldn’t be overwhelmed, you surely wouldn’t care less how many cases there are - same way we don’t care how much common cold there is.

Hospitalisation and deaths still decreasing.

If Omicron is indeed less dangerous then rising cases may be irrelevant.

Time will tell.

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Time will tell.

If it’s as mild as first indications this could be the strain which dominates with no real illness which is what was forecast in the mutations. Indeed Time will tell.

Edited by Indy

21 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Time will tell.

The mutations making it more transmissible but less virulent 🤞

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

The mutations making it more transmissible but less virulent 🤞

Early indications suggest this will be how it plays out.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

National

51,459 - 45

rate of increase of  9.1%     Omicron is here.

Omicron is indeed here but formally we only have 336 cases so far - the upsurge here is likely still mainly Delta.

Regarding the reports in last 24 hours or so about the Booster program slowing down or stalling despite the Government wanting it sped up, in my case it feels so. Im in my mid 60s and my Booster request was received nearly 2 weeks ago in City centre, same for my son in his 40s and with Special Needs and we are still waiting for a confirmation date of any kind. It of course has now clashed with the "All adults can now receive the Booster".

While really wanting to get our boosters, especially as Omicron  has now started to spread itself widely,  as with my double jabs earlier in the year patience is required i guess.

Just an observation on Omicron doubling speed.

If, as is suggested, it is doubling every few days unconstrained that would to me seem to suggest that its either found an otherwise undiscovered unvaccinated tribe (perhaps children?)  - or as now seems far more likely - vaccines themselves are not 'slowing' it much effectively (but lets hope in severity). Clearly there is no 'herd' or population immunity saturation effect visible at present.

Edited by Yellow Fever

26 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Regarding the reports in last 24 hours or so about the Booster program slowing down or stalling despite the Government wanting it sped up, in my case it feels so. Im in my mid 60s and my Booster request was received nearly 2 weeks ago in City centre, same for my son in his 40s and with Special Needs and we are still waiting for a confirmation date of any kind. It of course has now clashed with the "All adults can now receive the Booster".

While really wanting to get our boosters, especially as Omicron  has now started to spread itself widely,  as with my double jabs earlier in the year patience is required i guess.

Was and partly is not good. Messed up by 1. Not being taken seriously in September 2. Cancelling the leases on the hubs 3. I know at which point you can go and get your booster, I wonder if any of you know wether it’s 3, 5 or 6 months currently 4. The leases on the big hubs cannot be renewed until mid January 5. Weren’t getting the important people there ie the more mature so invited over 40’s.

Johnson has told you what you want to hear. As I have said many times forget texts, emails, booking, get to a walk in where you can get your jab straight away ( answer to 3. is 5 months at a walk in 6 on a booking ). Don’t delay please get it now. 

26 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just an observation on Omicron doubling speed.

If, as is suggested, it is doubling every few days unconstrained that would to me seem to suggest that its either found an otherwise undiscovered unvaccinated tribe (perhaps children?)  - or as now seems far more likely - vaccines themselves are not 'slowing' it much effectively (but lets hope in severity). Clearly there is no 'herd' or population immunity saturation effect visible at present.

Indeed, there’s an anomaly there, if it is that transmission is high because of single vaccines and reduced effectiveness, then it’s worth keeping an eye on the groups who’s actually testing positive on this variant. The numbers are still not a worry if hospitalisation and deaths stay at around the rate we’re currently seeing and first info on the severity of this strain is very encouraging.

National

45,691 - 180

rate of increase of  12.1%     slow rise

Local

Norwich   West rate             294.2      Local   R  estimated 0.9 - 1.1

N&N Patients  (falling)

30-11-2021                                20
29-11-2021 23
28-11-2021 24
27-11-2021 26

Vax     

1st Dose      19,979              88.9% done                               Norwich numbers   77.7% 

2nd Dose     25,012              81% done                                                                  70.9%

Booster     329,165     total          20,909,809                36.4%

In Hospital 

06-12-2021                                       7,317
05-12-2021 7,223
04-12-2021 7,128
03-12-2021 7,288
02-12-2021 7,390
01-12-2021 7,330
30-11-2021 7,661

Omicron.....anagram of Moronic.....Omicron B.....anagram of No crimbo.....

Edited by Mello Yello

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

“ Plan B “ on the horizon, vaccine passports on the agenda for attending CR

this should be fun... New rules for the plebs to follow. This from someone boosted and already WFH anyway...

Edited by Tetteys Jig