Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

If the latter, if I were an unvaccinated 30 year old (I’m double jabbed just for the record) I’d be querying why the best choice for saving hospitals is locking me down because I haven’t been vaccinated against a virus that is likely to give me little more than a bad cough.

Feel free to come and visit a COVID ward.

Putting aside the rather large assumption that I haven’t been to a covid ward, you’ve rather missed the point.

Alcohol and tobacco cause huge problems for the nhs. There are risks to the individual associated with their usage both in the short term and the long term. They are a burden on the nhs in the short and the long term. 

Government policy in Austria is currently that a vaccinated person can choose to put a burden on their health systems by drinking and smoking, but an unvaccinated person can’t choose to put a burden on their health system by not having a vaccine.

Let me put it another way, if I was a 20 or 30 year old who doesn’t smoke and doesn’t drink, I’d be wondering why we don’t also ban alcohol and tobacco outright given that both have no advantage to me whatsoever and both risk hospitals being too busy to care for me in an emergency (both now and in the long run). My risk from covid is minimal, but I might get lung cancer from passive smoke, hit by a drunk driver or just not get treatment because hospitals are too busy with people who have developed lung cancer from smoking.

Banning people from smoking and drinking is far less of an ‘imposition’ than banning unvaccinated people from leaving their home.

The current Austrian lockdown might only be short term, but we all know the NHS was virtually overwhelmed most winters even before covid. Why should people not get treatment or have to suffer huge delays, just so someone can have a glass of wine with their dinner and a smoke after?

If you’re happy to ban unvaccinated people from leaving their home, how can you not support banning alcohol and cigarettes?

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes WBB - Speaking (somewhat breathy still) to one of my younger UK colleagues in sales - was out for 10 days with his wife both double vaxed with Covid. It was not a simple bad cough!!! 

Well if we’re swapping “follow the science” for “my mate at work says…”, I’m in my early 30s have had covid and know lots of other people my age who have. One lost his sense of smell for a week (but was otherwise fine), and nobody else had anything more than a day in bed feeling a bit washed out. Not really relevant to anything though is it. 

Edited by Aggy

Austria and The Netherlands now posting 80k UK equivalent numbers while Hungary looks completely out of control with around 150k equivalent. Belgium, Germany numbers not fully in yet.

France, Spain and Italy still holding quite low.

Also noted that Finland has posted record numbers today.

49 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Austria and The Netherlands now posting 80k UK equivalent numbers while Hungary looks completely out of control with around 150k equivalent. Belgium, Germany numbers not fully in yet.

France, Spain and Italy still holding quite low.

Also noted that Finland has posted record numbers today.

Vaccine passports and % of population vaccinated Spring to mind.

Edited by Well b back

Are letters sent out for boosters when it’s your turn, or will you have to book it yourself online?.

Edited by KernowCanary

image.thumb.png.f467d851f44d2b3f3f80307016d176bf.png

Bbc - 18 jan 21 vs a fortnight ago.

Also some fairly anecdotal (albeit from people working in hospitals rather than random people down the pub) comments in the article about wider effects of lockdowns on health. Mental health, alcohol abuse, inactivity worsening health.

Alongside Covid cases, they are seeing more frail elderly people being admitted as well as significant numbers of people with alcohol and mental health-related problems.”

”With support and care disrupted and Covid making people more isolated and less active, their health has suffered.”

The service was struggling before the pandemic hit, with targets routinely missed in all parts of the UK. The NHS was being run "at its limit", Chris Hopson, of NHS Providers, which represents hospital trusts, says.”

Edited by Aggy

11 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Are letters sent out for boosters when it’s your turn, or will you have to book it yourself online?.

You don’t need to book, if your time is up get to a walk in straight away, alternatively book on the system for the day it is due.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

I got a letter due to being on the extremely vulnerable list. Mrs R got hers by text message. We then just booked on line for a walk in.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

I'm in my 50s, 6 months from my 2nd jab is 25 November.  I've not been contacted yet (I've booked my booster for this Sunday online).

It's dead easy to book online as long as you use the address which is registered with your GP, it takes about 2 minutes, and this is always quicker than waiting for them to contact you, so don't hang around !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

I'm in my 50s, 6 months from my 2nd jab is 25 November.  I've not been contacted yet (I've booked my booster for this Sunday online).

It's dead easy to book online as long as you use the address which is registered with your GP, it takes about 2 minutes, and this is always quicker than waiting for them to contact you, so don't hang around !

You must never hang around, please I beg again don’t wait for any letters or texts you are not jumping any queues. Get it the second you are allowed, it is far more vital than even BJ is making out even now, latest U.K. figure for AZ shows 44% at 5 months, even worse than the official lancet paper of 47%.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You must never hang around, please I beg again don’t wait for any letters or texts you are not jumping any queues. Get it the second you are allowed, it is far more vital than even BJ is making out even now, latest U.K. figure for AZ shows 44% at 5 months, even worse than the official lancet paper of 47%.

Would agree with you WBB. Too many people sleep walking or waiting for a call that may never come.

Get boosted asap!

The writing for this winter is already 'on the wall'.

National

37,243 - 214

rate of increase of 14.4% over 7 days, 4th day of rises after 3 weeks of falls.

Local

Norwich rate 285.5                ( Norwich rate has risen slightly  1.2%  7 days  )    

N&N Patients

09-11-2021                        30
       not updated since last Tuesday

Vax     

1st Dose      32,046              88% done                               Norwich numbers   77.2% 

2nd Dose     18,055              80.1% done                                                                  70.1%

Still an awful lot of people not had one dose yet. What is wrong with them?

Booster     286,582     total          13,147,333

In Hospital (a steady drop this week should continue for a few more days) Not updated since last Thursday

11-11-2021                        8,678
10-11-2021 8,832
09-11-2021 8,913
08-11-2021 8,975
07-11-2021 8,831
06-11-2021 8,811
05-11-2021 9,059

20 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

I and my other half got text messages.

• Like 1

Most people I follow seem to be utterly confounded on trends ICF but hint that school return may be leaching into the current increases we are witnessing (leaching seems descriptive as a word to indicate the process but maybe not quite right in view of the infection). Some tentatively see a plateau soon because of the booster effect.

On the latter point, I have seen this today. Really encouraging in terms of how long the booster effect could last. 9 months seems a really long period of time given what we have been going through in this pandemic.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Most people I follow seem to be utterly confounded on trends ICF but hint that school return may be leaching into the current increases we are witnessing (leaching seems descriptive as a word to indicate the process but maybe not quite right in view of the infection). Some tentatively see a plateau soon because of the booster effect.

On the latter point, I have seen this today. Really encouraging in terms of how long the booster effect could last. 9 months seems a really long period of time given what we have been going through in this pandemic.

Thanks as always, this is really useful and hopeful. My booster is Sunday and I’ll be much happier then!

11 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks as always, this is really useful and hopeful. My booster is Sunday and I’ll be much happier then!

If it’s a walk in centre ICF take a friend, large % of those eligible who really need it especially the older groups still not had it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

How do we get a certificate for having the booster, none given when jabbed, or do we even need one ?

I was given a card, same as previous two jabs, with date and vaccine type etc.

9 hours ago, ricardo said:

I was given a card, same as previous two jabs, with date and vaccine type etc.

Ooops, I was told the cards were only for the original jabs and weren't being used for boosters, as were the rest of the family - more confusion it seems.

Hi @Creative Midfielder

You should have been given a blue card as per your 1st jab, which should show the batch number. It would be put onto our system and therefore show on your medical records. We are not sure it shows on the NHS app which if you have not got you really should download as this is your vaccine passport.

Not sure what you would need to show anything for the booster at present, but if you need it for something try ringing 119 for advice.

• Like 1

Bit of advance warning but only minutes or hours before official one, the amount of time from having COVID to having a vaccination is about to increase from 28 days to 12 weeks

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Bit of advance warning but only minutes or hours before official one, the amount of time from having COVID to having a vaccination is about to increase from 28 days to 12 weeks

Looks like this may just apply to under 18’s but not sure

National

38,263 - 201

rate of increase of 15.1% over 7 days, 5th day of rises after 3 weeks of falls.

Local

Norwich rate  311.5           rate only for City centre west up on yesterday

All of Norwich down 5.3%

N&N Patients

09-11-2021                        30
       still not updated since last Tuesday

Vax     

1st Dose      31,431              88.1% done                               Norwich numbers   77.3% 

2nd Dose     19,874              80.1% done                                                                  70.2%

Booster     347,557     total          13,494,890

In Hospital

11-11-2021                                           8,705
10-11-2021 8,860
09-11-2021 8,936
08-11-2021 8,994
07-11-2021 8,849
06-11-2021 8,829
05-11-2021 9,077

23 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

I and my other half got text messages.

Will keep a look out just in case. Last time work told us and we booked on a link sent to us.

Eastern Europe moving beyong the 100k UK  daily equivalent now.

In Western Europe Netherlands and Belgium not far behind.

France, Italy and Germany accelerating. Very low testing regime in Germany could be hiding bigger numbers.

We have generally done a lot of testing, with over 1% of the population testing every day. If you think that is a lot then right now in Austria they are testing almost 5% of the population daily which must be a major factor in the number of cases they have. In Denmark it is over 2% of the population.

They are the outliers though, other selected countries test this % of the population daily:
- Spain: 0.15%
- Germany: 0.2%
- France: 0.4%

22 hours ago, sonyc said:

I think diffusion into other age groups is a better scientific description than 'leaching' . Diffusion is driven by density (from high to low) - the bigger the 'gap' the faster the rate. So yes the more the kids have it the more their parents (and then other groups) will also get it.

Separately I think we are simply returning to trend at present with the kids back. The virus will as before reach some sort of balance (plateau) ultimately set by balancing off its infectiveness against the human factors such as social distancing and vaccine numbers (and their effectiveness - never 100%, waning and reinfection rates etc.) At the moment the balance is shifting toward higher numbers as we huddle indoors and the virus rolls the dice on the unvaccinated and vaccinated alike.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Eastern Europe moving beyong the 100k UK  daily equivalent now.

In Western Europe Netherlands and Belgium not far behind.

France, Italy and Germany accelerating. Very low testing regime in Germany could be hiding bigger numbers.

We have generally done a lot of testing, with over 1% of the population testing every day. If you think that is a lot then right now in Austria they are testing almost 5% of the population daily which must be a major factor in the number of cases they have. In Denmark it is over 2% of the population.

They are the outliers though, other selected countries test this % of the population daily:
- Spain: 0.15%
- Germany: 0.2%
- France: 0.4%

Germany is in the grip of a "dramatic" fourth Covid wave, Chancellor Angela Merkel has said on the eve of a crisis meeting with regional leaders.

Daily infections hit a new German record of 52,826 on Wednesday as European governments responded to a surge on much of the continent.

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Germany is in the grip of a "dramatic" fourth Covid wave, Chancellor Angela Merkel has said on the eve of a crisis meeting with regional leaders.

Daily infections hit a new German record of 52,826 on Wednesday as European governments responded to a surge on much of the continent.

Over 60k tonight.

They did well for a long while but it gets everywhere eventually.

Bringing the peak forward out of the winter period beginning to look the right call now.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Over 60k tonight.

They did well for a long while but it gets everywhere eventually.

Bringing the peak forward out of the winter period beginning to look the right call now.

Still plenty of time to pass before the end of the coming winter.   Rises in Germany, the Netherlands etc as they begin to enter winter were inevitable and entirely foreseeable  but sustained rises in Portugal, Spain and Italy, with high vaccination rates and high levels of prior infection might still indicate trouble for us on the horizon. Problem is they get winter proper later so we night already be there by then...