Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Just now, Aggy said:

Doesn’t that happen every year around this time? 

No, nobody dies in October usually. Ol' Thatcher banned it.

4 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Interesting article in the Economist about “how India beat Covid” or, as the article then says, “rather, how Covid beat India”. Basically early this year before their vaccine programme got going properly, the Delta variant took hold and they had massive case numbers which peaked early May and then dropped equally fast - I’ll try to copy the graph from the article . They hadn’t vaccinated many by then and they didn’t lock down so it appears the decline was due to natural immunity being acquired. But the cost was awful at an estimated 2.3m excess deaths. I suspect a similar picture applies to many parts of the world which don’t have as good data reporting as India. Antibody levels are now over 90%.

Hopefully now their vaccine programme is now in high gear this will boost their natural immunity so that Covid will continue in an endemic state but not worse.

This confirms my view we have to accept Covid is never going away so we have to accept ongoing case levels and it’s about managing them to stop the NHS getting overloaded. If anything it’s better, it seems to me, to have an ongoing level of Covid cases when your population is freshly vaccinated, otherwise you’ll just have them later when the vaccine benefit is waning. So new infections can be “too low” as well as “too high”, we need to manage the level of the disease and what’s critical is the level of cases in hospitals.

Restrictions such as WFH and ultimately lockdowns simply delay the disease, they don’t stop it. So we must save them for when they’re really needed, not as a panicky response every time case numbers go up.

Interesting thoughts ICF. I have wondered too whether the fact that rates are so high means that the virus is so prevalent but also hopefully that the vaccine effect takes off a lot of the really dangerous effects.

I've been thinking about this and made a link to a story I've heard today....a friend this afternoon phoned (usually hear from him 2/3 times a year) and he told me he got Covid two weeks ago (both of his young children too). He was very worried at one point about problems breathing one night. Luckily he got through that. Yet it remains with him in terms of feeling wiped out and exhausted. He is doubly vaccinated. His wife didn't get it at all! Very scary when it gets so close up with people you know. Their children are still very peeky. The effects haven't left them either.

Anyway, I concluded it's a grey area thinking of the population becoming naturally immune (my friend thought he probably got it from his daughter's school) through higher rates.

There is a Twitter debate if you look for it about the JCVI minutes and  using children as a form of 'booster' effect for adults...plus comments that unofficial government policy is indeed to let things ripple through without too much care for the value of life. So, it's a complex area, one of ethics.

I'm also waiting to see if we get it. For the first time in two years last week we went to a gig (John Cooper Clarke)...indoors obviously, little social distancing, warm inside, no masks whilst performances taking place... and I was thinking all the time that it was enough time for any virus to spread. 3 full days have elapsed now so maybe if we are going to be okay might have to wait another few days. You did have to show your vaccination certificates before entering so that was one measure.

Anyway, worrying days but I believe people are becoming less scared. The rates are as high as ever. On Zoe our metropolitan numbers have never been higher in all the time I've monitored it. In fact almost double the highest number I've seen (over 20,000 today).

We haven't heard the last of it. Still a nervy winter I believe for the NHS. I've no idea what might happen but I'm clinging (a little) to those 7 day trend graphs and the downward trend being as sharp as modelled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Not with 1800/2000 new births every day in the UK

And there’s your climate crises in a nutshell, in 50 years we’ve doubled the global population and increased the pressure on natural resources way above maximum levels our planet can cope with! And it still climbing……

Edited by Indy

I have my booster booked for Thursday and did it through the website and waited until it said I was eligible.

Mrs KG took an old chap we do errands for to have his booster today and they said she could have hers without booking as they have the capacity for walk ins. 

Yet if you use the GOV or NHS sites, it is telling you to wait until 6 months and one week.

Chaos looming?

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have my booster booked for Thursday and did it through the website and waited until it said I was eligible.

Mrs KG took an old chap we do errands for to have his booster today and they said she could have hers without booking as they have the capacity for walk ins. 

Yet if you use the GOV or NHS sites, it is telling you to wait until 6 months and one week.

Chaos looming?

Hi KG

Thank you for bringing this up and showing what is happening in real life.

With respect I keep telling people lots of people are not being asked so you must go to a walk in. I beg people once more, don’t wait for a text or an email, you are not as some try to claim ‘ queue jumping ‘ at 6 months and with flexibility upto 4 days before that is when you are due, that is what you are entitled to. 
As you have seen the NHS are desperate to get the boosters in arms and until recently it was out of their hands. The guy from the first vaccines is now back in charge. I am having a day off today for the football, but you will find the vaccine task force in the main are working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week as there are so few of us now lots have returned back to their ‘ normal jobs ‘.

The guys and girls where I often work on a Sunday are set up for about 155 jabs, but because people need to go to walk ins to get what they are entitled to ( and need ) they will have up to 2 hour queues and administer about 400 jabs.

Keep up Javid, we have been doing this for 5 weeks. A government that has f***** up the beginning of the booster and schools roll out and is completely out of touch with what is happening. In reality we have 2 weeks of the programme left, and young people are booked in next week for jabs, which many have already had, not just a waste of vaccine that will be thrown away, while other countries have none, but highly dangerous, wait for the headline, child jabbed in 1/2 term gets jabbed again.

This is somebody that messed up taking credit for how the NHS have put it right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59107256

10 hours ago, Well b back said:

Keep up Javid, we have been doing this for 5 weeks. A government that has f***** up the beginning of the booster and schools roll out and is completely out of touch with what is happening. In reality we have 2 weeks of the programme left, and young people are booked in next week for jabs, which many have already had, not just a waste of vaccine that will be thrown away, while other countries have none, but highly dangerous, wait for the headline, child jabbed in 1/2 term gets jabbed again.

This is somebody that messed up taking credit for how the NHS have put it right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59107256

Quite, is Javid an upgrade or downgrade on Matt Hancock - that genuinely is quite a tricky one. Even though Matt was useless I think Javid is probably proving himself to be even worse.

Anyway the real question should be, why during a pandemic and the worse public health crisis this country has seen in any of our lifetimes does the idiot Johnson keep appointing Health Secretaries that are palpably unfit for the job. 

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

National

38,009 - 74

rate of decrease of 13.5% over 7 days,

decrease continues to speed up.

Local

Norwich rate 441.3  down 25.7% (7 days) now dropping sharply

Vax     

1st Dose      33,743             86.9% done                               Norwich numbers   75.4% 

2nd Dose     24,908             79.5% done                                                                  68.6%

Booster    361,428     total          7,925,851

In Hospital

28-10-2021                             8,983
27-10-2021 8,926
26-10-2021 8,829
25-10-2021 8,725
24-10-2021 8,411
23-10-2021 8,248
22-10-2021 8,268
  • Thanks 1

Now it’s Boris that needs to keep up FFS. I have been telling everyone most places allowing walk ins and at six months for four weeks. Johnson announces it begins today, completely out of touch. As I have said many times, please, please, please if your 6 months are up get to a walk in and get your booster, don’t wait for any texts, emails or other invites. We are currently an estimated 9 million behind. If you have elderly relatives that struggle with mobility, get them to a site, get it sorted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59116051

Edited by Well b back
  • Like 4

National

40,077 - 40

rate of decrease of 8.9% over 7 days,

Local

Norwich rate 406.7  down 22% (7 days) now dropping sharply

Vax     

1st Dose      27,402             86.9% done                               Norwich numbers   75.4% 

2nd Dose     13,449             79.5% done                                                                  68.6%

Booster    163,949     total          8,115,229

In Hospital

29-10-2021                             9,065
28-10-2021 8,999
27-10-2021 8,940
26-10-2021 8,842
25-10-2021 8,738
24-10-2021 8,421
23-10-2021 8,257

On 30/10/2021 at 20:17, ricardo said:

The dogs breakfast chart again but indicative of how quickly the spikes are collapsing.

I've just rewired my internet using this diagram. Brilliant. I can now get the Billy Cotton show on the wireless and Dixon of Dock Green on the telly.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I've just rewired my internet using this diagram. Brilliant. I can now get the Billy Cotton show on the wireless and Dixon of Dock Green on the telly.

Don't forget that green is the earth wire.

17 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The 'convivial and fraternal' defence against Covid as recommended by JRM seems to have not worked.

Surely not....

The same man who stated Grenfell victims had little common sense? The same person who stated that fish would be happier in UK waters (despite recently voting for water companies to dump raw sewage in our seas)? The same person now supporting Owen Patterson who has broken lobbying rules...but stayed mute when the investigations found the Leave campaign illegal? The same person who stated food would be cheaper post Brexit? 

Why...it's our convivial friend.

What's wrong with having a basic level of integrity in our politics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

National

33,865 - 293

rate of decrease of 10.4% over 7 days,

Local

Norwich rate 415.3  down 23.1% (7 days) now dropping sharply

Vax     

1st Dose      37,695             87% done                               Norwich numbers   75.4% 

2nd Dose     19,214             79.5% done                                                                  68.6%

Booster    240,943     total          8,356,172

In Hospital

01-11-2021                               9,538
31-10-2021 9,310
30-10-2021 9,157
29-10-2021 9,119
28-10-2021 9,035
27-10-2021 8,968
26-10-2021 8,870

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Interesting chart re excess deaths per country.

sqO6g92.jpeg

That is interesting, what I would love to see, though I doubt it would be available is this displayed by season. So we could have seen when these excess deaths have occured.

For example Italy, which has sustained a lot of excess deaths was so badly hit in the first few months. So was Spain, but Spain also was hit hard in a big second wave. 

Whereas the US crisis seems to have been far more drawn out. 

33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

33,865 - 293

rate of decrease of 10.4% over 7 days,

Local

Norwich rate 415.3  down 23.1% (7 days) now dropping sharply

Vax     

1st Dose      37,695             87% done                               Norwich numbers   75.4% 

2nd Dose     19,214             79.5% done                                                                  68.6%

Booster    240,943     total          8,356,172

In Hospital

01-11-2021                               9,538
31-10-2021 9,310
30-10-2021 9,157
29-10-2021 9,119
28-10-2021 9,035
27-10-2021 8,968
26-10-2021 8,870

Zoe dropping back thank goodness

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

That is interesting, what I would love to see, though I doubt it would be available is this displayed by season. So we could have seen when these excess deaths have occured.

For example Italy, which has sustained a lot of excess deaths was so badly hit in the first few months. So was Spain, but Spain also was hit hard in a big second wave. 

Whereas the US crisis seems to have been far more drawn out. 

It looks like S.America has been worst hit closely followed by Eastern Europe.

23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Absolutely, though that's not that surprising given the GDP per capita of those areas and rates of vaccine uptake in areas of Eastern Europe. Bulgaria was at roughly 17% vaccinated last time I checked.

59 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They followed the just let it spread version and you will only catch it once.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sage - Jeremy Farrar has resigned.

I wonder why 😉😎😉

That’s sad news, speaks a lot of common sense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Van wink said:

That’s sad news, speaks a lot of common sense. 

Yes a real loss. He told and continues to tell it as it is.

I've been waiting a month for my flu jab appointment to come round (10.30 am this morning)

Phone call at 9am, sorry no vaccine please re-book online.

Go online, first available appointment nearly 4 more weeks.

A waste of time.