Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Sounds like jumping the queue. The NHS website specifically stated, wait until you are contacted for the booster. As for my GP surgery, they still havent contacted me about the flu jab. I contacted them in September and was told they didnt have any. I therefore booked at Boots Pharmacy and earliest appointment was over 4 weeks. We are booked in for Nov 3rd. GP surgery service not what it should be IMO.

As far as I as I can tell there is no queue - that seems to be part of the problem. Take up of the booster seems to be very patchy, presumably because so many have lapped up Johnson's nonsense that it is all over and don't see the need, or perhaps the urgency, to have one. Certainly of the people I know of locally (most of similar age) they've all either had the booster or are booked for the next few days.

Don't know why there are regional variations but it seems clear that there are - my sister is extremely vulnerable, lives in Norfolk and has been several weeks behind us at every stage of the vaccination programme this year.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

How dare these feckers walk into a hospital with no masks. How did they get past security? There is an injectio I would likw to give them.

I struggle to articulate how I feel about people like this. For some reason they think they know better than the massed ranks of tens if not hundreds of thousands of doctors and scientists who have studied in this area for what must cumulatively be millions of hours. They then think some bloke off the Internet is better qualified in constitutional law than people who do this as a job, day in, day out (and also seem to ignore that pretty much any website I’ve seen that promotes this nonsense is American-based, so any legal position is irrelevant). And on top of that they think serving “legal” papers to some administrative staff is best done in a green tracksuit. It’s a wonder they can get out of bed in the morning.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Unfortunately you can't make an appointment for a booster until you are told by the NHS that it is your turn.

You just go to a walk in, 6 months less 4 days after your 2nd dose, the government claim they have improved it by adding 11 days, they are clueless. 10 million called up, under 4 million have took up the opportunity. We are taking a van to an area on Sunday where we will jab over 100 with boosters that just pass who didn’t even know they could have a jab yet. 2 hubs just in one area closed down that were doing 1200 a day each, to save costs. You are supposed to get your booster and flu together, we’re you offered that ?. It’s the government telling you you can’t have a jab unless you are told, absolute tosh. Today’s date to be vaccinated at a walk in was 2nd dose 17/4/21 or before.

Before the last few days did you see the boosters being pushed 24 hours a day, nope because they messed up.

The government also announced 2 days ago that the 12 - 15 can book in on the national booking, they were in cloud cuckoo land. They had no idea that it would take days to make that possible, so now you have loads of parents who press the 12 - 15 button then it kicks you out. We can’t even advise parents when it will be live although we know it will be sometime over the next 3 days. They should have been vaccinated in the summer holidays in the hubs but they were to scared of public opinion.

• Like 1

From the national booking website which has now changed it was the same wording with 180 days instead.

If you haven't received an invite by 6 months and 1 week, you can try to book your appointment online without an invite.

Edited by Well b back

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

My wife was on the shielding list so had hers fairly early on and her six month anniversary only expired a couple of weeks ago. Having said that, she’s heard nothing about a booster, before or since. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Go to a walk in or if it is more than 6 months and 1 week you should be able to book on the national booking system, if you can’t for some reason ring 119 and they are obliged to sort you out.

Anyone that works in social care / NHS ect do not need any type of invite.

• Like 1

Sounds like jumping the queue. The NHS website specifically stated, wait until you are contacted for the booster. As for my GP surgery, they still havent contacted me about the flu jab. I contacted them in September and was told they didnt have any. I therefore booked at Boots Pharmacy and earliest appointment was over 4 weeks. We are booked in for Nov 3rd. GP surgery service not what it should be IMO.

Unfortunately it’s supply issues, getting vaccines in for the flu and then finding drivers to deliver it, not your GP’s fault.

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Covid myths

I will bite again, as I hope this person on some of his ‘ myths ‘ are not advising the government. As I have mentioned immunity starts to plummet at 20 weeks ( five months ) so despite his comments re Wales, the reason Wales are seeing more hospilisation, cases ect is that they were 3 - 4 weeks ahead of us with the majority of their initial vaccine roll out. He forgets to mention countries like Portugal who also have vaccine passports and masks, but based on Israel started their booster plan at 5 months. In 3 - 4 weeks time if our boosters don’t pick up we could be in the same situation or worse than Wales.

I suspect over the next days we will be hearing that our booster jabs will be administered in line with others at 5 months and not 6.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that when the case rate goes UP for a few days, the doom-mongering SAGE folk say “this is proof we’re heading to another crisis”?.

Then when the case rate goes DOWN for a few days, the same people say “these figures are only for a few days, we can’t trust them”?. SAGE, what a stupid name, I always thought it was a computer accounts application package or a herb.

The look on most journalists faces when the figures are falling is disturbing, especially Hugh Plym and Peston. It looks like they are actually unhappy that people arent dying or struggling on ventilators.

Next week is half term and I’m keeping an eye on them should this cause cases and testing to drop.

Edited by KernowCanary

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I will bite again, as I hope this person on some of his ‘ myths ‘ are not advising the government. As I have mentioned immunity starts to plummet at 20 weeks ( five months ) so despite his comments re Wales, the reason Wales are seeing more hospilisation, cases ect is that they were 3 - 4 weeks ahead of us with the majority of their initial vaccine roll out. He forgets to mention countries like Portugal who also have vaccine passports and masks, but based on Israel started their booster plan at 5 months. In 3 - 4 weeks time if our boosters don’t pick up we could be in the same situation or worse than Wales.

I suspect over the next days we will be hearing that our booster jabs will be administered in line with others at 5 months and not 6.

Do you have a reference for the rapid drop off after 5 months WBB, I am aware of fading immunity but not seen anything  quite as clear as that but have heard that some are considering it. Vice chair of JVCI was on Today this morning and he has a view that a booster at six months is a sweet spot, whatever he means by that. 

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

As far as I as I can tell there is no queue - that seems to be part of the problem. Take up of the booster seems to be very patchy, presumably because so many have lapped up Johnson's nonsense that it is all over and don't see the need, or perhaps the urgency, to have one. Certainly of the people I know of locally (most of similar age) they've all either had the booster or are booked for the next few days.

Don't know why there are regional variations but it seems clear that there are - my sister is extremely vulnerable, lives in Norfolk and has been several weeks behind us at every stage of the vaccination programme this year.

Its not a regional variation. The NHS site still says wait to be contacted. 

Except

If your second jab was more than 6 months and 1 week ago then you can try to book.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ricardo said:

Covid myths

Amused me a bit to read this - by the way he was on Sky News this morning much toned down - In reality he is already following plan B himself which is what those amongst us that are sensible are asking to be mandated now to slow things down and buy some time.

As to delaying the first and second lockdowns making no odds . One word 'Brazil'. I wonder if we'd all still be here if we had done little to nothing and delayed further? I suppose that may have saved on social care costs!

As to Wales being high, Scotland low despite masks he needs to take leaf from his own comments - masks are only one factor (and acknowledged as weak one) amongst many - why are some English regions good and others bad? We know poverty and poor living conditions is factor as well - but as the saying  goes 'Every Little Helps' and masks and a bit of self preservation social distancing are hardly onerous but clearly help.

International comparisons you need to be extremely careful with - again very different circumstances, mistakes and triumphs let alone data sets. People far more qualified than him made their conclusions on this. 

What we all agree with is the vaccine and boosters will for now be the fastest way to get on top of the virus again.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Its not a regional variation. The NHS site still says wait to be contacted. 

Except

If your second jab was more than 6 months and 1 week ago then you can try to book.

Well, there you go then. Must admit I hadn't looked at the NHS site but my understanding was that the rollout would be based on flu jab in one arm and Covid booster in the other which is exactly what happened when I took my Mum to her appointment three or so weeks ago. So it seemed an obvious question to ask when I got my text - and having now just checked when I had jab 2 it turns out that I was, through luck rather good judgement, bang on time.

However there clearly are regional variations - not in the rules but in the delivery. As I said my sister in Norfolk should have been ahead of me and my wife throughout the process but in practice has always been behind us, even though we all booked the first jab as soon as we received our offers. I suspect that going via the GP (certainly in our case) speeded things up as it was all very well organised - in the early days when the vaccine supply was rather hit and miss, they were completely on top of when they were getting vaccine and very quickly organised things to blitz as many as they could by pulling all the doctors in on a Saturday when they should have been having a day off. You may have noticed that I'm a tad cynical (about many things) nowadays, but I was genuinely impressed by what they set up and the numbers they got through - appointments to the minute and people going through at a rate of knots without ever going anywhere near anybody else other than the doctor or nurse that jabbed you.

Sadly, as I also pointed out with respect to the 'queue' - I read this morning that uptake of the booster offers is only around 50% of the double vaccinated people eligible. Doesn't make any sense to me but then that is true of so many aspects of this country nowadays 🙄

23 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

. You may have noticed that I'm a tad cynical (about many things) nowadays,

Surely not.

A testament to your powers of concealment.

I'm sure nobody would ever have guessed.

😉

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Sadly, as I also pointed out with respect to the 'queue' - I read this morning that uptake of the booster offers is only around 50% of the double vaccinated people eligible. Doesn't make any sense to me but then that is true of so many aspects of this country nowadays 🙄

There is a fair amount of complacency about now, going by my shopping trip this morning.

Much busier in the city than of late. M&S mask wearing about 80%. Those not wearing them were mostly young and mostly women. I can't think of an obvious explanation for this.

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Has anyone seen any analysis comparing the increase in Scotland in September to the current increase in England? Also any scientific thinking on why cases then fell sharply in Scotland?

Cases peak and fall in different areas at different times. This chart is a bit of a dogs breakfast but shows what is happening.

27 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Cases peak and fall in different areas at different times. This chart is a bit of a dogs breakfast but shows what is happening.

Fascinating chart Ricardo.

I remember reading somewhere that in reality its only a few 'super spreaders' people that are the problem. Many of us, even if infected don't go on to infect large numbers.

So I guess you've been to Corby, Kettering, Trafford and Wellingborough and home via Ipswich along the A14? Perhaps it wasn't you in Trafford - bit out of the way.😉

As to complacency that has been well noted/commented in several articles not helped by Johnson's previous attitude. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Fascinating chart Ricardo.

I remember reading somewhere that in reality its only a few 'super spreaders' people that are the problem. Many of us, even if infected don't go on to to infect large number.

So I guess you've been to Corby, Kettering, Trafford and Wellingborough and home via Ipswich along the A14? Perhaps it wasn't you in Trafford - bit out of the way.😉

As to complacency that has been well noted/commented in several articles not helped by Johnson's previous attitude. 

Perhaps 1p5wich supporters planning away trips in the lower leagues.

Just now, ricardo said:

Perhaps 1p5wich supporters planning away trips in the lower leagues.

Brilliant 🏐.  Clearly the correct explanation.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Well b back said:

It certainly is WBB. It has been like this for some time now. Cornwall may well have the oldest per capita population. We have GP services that just refer all the time because they are not allowing anyone into the surgeries. And the booking system is through Klinik which is online and unlikely to be used by a large proportion of the population.

The local news said 29 ambulances outside waiting to unload and in a day a waste of 800 hours by ambulance staff just sitting there and of course a worrying time for those waiting for an ambulance.

And Treliske, the main hospital in the county in Truro is regularly at the very bottom of the league table. I know that full well as the last time I was there, nobody knew of my appointment and nobody could find my notes. It may not be the medical side but the admin is not fit for purpose. A friend of ours died of sepsis having been sent home with just an iron deficiency.

In the west country we now have the highest case of covid in the country. This is due a lab in Wolverhampton that make the PCR Test have made a bad shipment so even if you had covid, it came up a negative. So everyone went out and about as normal and spread it to others  !

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

Do you have a reference for the rapid drop off after 5 months WBB, I am aware of fading immunity but not seen anything  quite as clear as that but have heard that some are considering it. Vice chair of JVCI was on Today this morning and he has a view that a booster at six months is a sweet spot, whatever he means by that. 

There was a report fairly recently VW (data actually derived from good sample size via Zoe).

'Drop off' is 4-5 months apparently (AZ), but similar to Pfizer.  Perhaps therefore this means perpetual boosters? Unless the booster gives an even longer lasting protection?

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/covid-jab-protection-wanes-within-six-months-uk-researchers-2021-08-25/

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

255k booster and third primary jabs done yesterday.👍

Finally cracking on.

Still says I have to wait on the NHS site. 6 months and one week. Why one week?

23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

There was a report fairly recently VW (data actually derived from good sample size via Zoe).

'Drop off' is 4-5 months apparently (AZ), but similar to Pfizer.  Perhaps therefore this means perpetual boosters? Unless the booster gives an even longer lasting protection?

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/covid-jab-protection-wanes-within-six-months-uk-researchers-2021-08-25/

Yes thanks, have seen the Spectre update, just wondering if WBB had picked up on any other research papers indicating significant drop off around 5 months. Yes no doubt perpetual boosters will become the norm but as you quite rightly say, we dont know how long  a reasonable level of immunity lasts after the booster, my suspician is that there will be be greater longevity but we'll have to see. Trip to the Principality coming up next weekend, infection rate in Wales is the highest it has been since the start of the pandemic 😷

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

National

49,298  - 180

rate of increase of 18.1% over 7 days,

Local

Norwich rate 490.9  up 40.8% (7 days) a big rise locally continies.

patients in N&N 

19-10-2021                                 31
18-10-2021 33
17-10-2021 28
16-10-2021 28
15-10-2021 29
14-10-2021 28
13-10-2021 27
12-10-2021 29

Vax      

1st Dose      48,732             86.3% done                               Norwich numbers   75% 

2nd Dose     28,628             79.1% done                                                                  68.5%

In Hospital (continuing to edge up)

21-10-2021                               8,238
20-10-2021 8,170
19-10-2021 7,924
18-10-2021 7,785
17-10-2021 7,420
16-10-2021 7,153
15-10-2021 7,130
14-10-2021 7,124
Edited by ricardo

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Trip to the Principality coming up next weekend, infection rate in Wales is the highest it has been since the start of the pandemic

Postponed mine but had 5 days in Norfolk instead. Visited lots of ancestral spots there at the same time. Such a concentration of many families all along the border going back to 1600s.

Missed going to Pembrokeshire and the Valleys but it won't be long I don't think. After us not going anywhere much in 2 years I'm at least more confident now that one can travel and mix a bit! 

Very strange times in a way. If it hadn't been for the pandemic I wouldn't be as much reading online! 

255k booster and third primary jabs done yesterday.👍

Finally cracking on.

Haven’t seen daily figures like that in a long time as far as the jabs are concerned.

Great stuff.

41 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Haven’t seen daily figures like that in a long time as far as the jabs are concerned.

Great stuff.

The boosters have been at around 200k a day for two weeks now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Postponed mine but had 5 days in Norfolk instead. Visited lots of ancestral spots there at the same time. Such a concentration of many families all along the border going back to 1600s.

Missed going to Pembrokeshire and the Valleys but it won't be long I don't think. After us not going anywhere much in 2 years I'm at least more confident now that one can travel and mix a bit! 

Very strange times in a way. If it hadn't been for the pandemic I wouldn't be as much reading online! 

I'm going to see the All Blacks give our boys a bit of a run around, looking at todays figures I'll potentially be in the stadium with at least 1000 infected people. Makes you think doesn't it. Still trying to rationalise how much reliance I can put on the restrictions currently in force, you need a cover passport or neg test to get in.

Edited by Van wink