Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

The BBC News website and their obsession with the phrase “It comes after”, really is starting to grate now.

All through this they have been nothing but scabs. Their “Big Night In” special made me want to have a big night out.

you know what I've found helps... switch it off. Same with social media sites (mainly twitter). Doesn't have to be permanent, but you can take time off from it.

Leave it to the people that want to stay bothered by it all, perhaps it helps them?

Just like Mrs Brown's boys, I don't get it, to me it looks utter turd but some people love it so let them enjoy it and I'll go watch/do something else.

Keep it simple and crack on with your life. All about informed choice now.

Edited by Tetteys Jig
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Well b back said:

It’s 6 calendar months less 4 days then the system allows you to book.

If you book a hospital setting you maybe able to get flu and booster at same time 1 in each arm, but it maybe different in Norfolk and the hubs do flu as well.

So to clarify if you were jabbed 5/4/21 you can book booster 1/10/21.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that. My 6 months is due on 21 October, and I am flying to Cape Town on 26th, so would ideally like it done before I go. Does anyone have any thoughts if the vaccine would have any effect on the test to fly results. I appreciate this is not a medical forum, but I have gleaned more useful information from here, than anywhere else. 

Zoe app today is still at just over 70,000, seems to have been static at the 70k level  since it jumped up when they recalibrated about a week back.  I'm still entering my data every few days but I don't have much confidence in it as a data source at the moment.  I am keeping an eye on the PCR daily cases and numbers in hospital because it's easy to see them thanks to @ricardo 🙂 and I check the ONS numbers when I remember or when someone mentions them.

Anyone seen any commentary on what's behind the modest current increases in cases ?  Things returning more BTN, students back at Uni, spread from schools to parents ?  Or any signs of reduced vaccine efficacy ?  These are the easy guesses but it would be good to know if there's anything more scientific out there.

45 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Anyone seen any commentary on what's behind the modest current increases in cases ?  Things returning more BTN, students back at Uni, spread from schools to parents ?  Or any signs of reduced vaccine efficacy ?  These are the easy guesses but it would be good to know if there's anything more scientific out there.

All of those you mention are doubtless part of it but I think you'll find the root cause of the 'modest' increase is our utterly incompetent government and their reckless approach to unlocking from the most recent lockdown, though in truth reckless and incompetent applies to almost everything this government has done for the last two years. This little chart gives some perspective on how some of our near neighbours (plus one other island nation, just to irritate those who don't like to presented with inconvenient facts 😀) have fared since the end of May to yesterday:

image.png.8ef8a6efe612966c8e172fb22af8ea50.png

Not very surprisingly all the Europeans had a spike of infections as they were unlocking which peaked pretty quickly with the UK peak being very substantially higher. Johnson kept repeating throughout this year's lockdown that he would use 'data not dates' to drive the unlock but as usual he was lying.

We completely unlocked when our infection rate was still at the peak or above the peaks of the other countries who lifted their restrictions more intelligently and in line with their data to ensure cases continued to fall whilst the UK continues onwards to a third peak - Germany seems to have had a slight hiccup recently but still small by UK standards.

image.png

at this point though when we "live with covid". Is it really a competition any longer? Surely as long as we can cope with the levels then short term comparisons and restrictions aren't really where we need to base discussion and it needs to move on to more long term, socioeconomic issues more in line with "living with covid" as one of many long term public health issues.

@Creative Midfielder what is it exactly you want? Another lockdown? Masks mandated everywhere? Vaccine passports?

For me I think we need to look more long term at the more insidious damage the tories have done to our society, driving inequality for at least the last decade. Rather than just cracking the whip and getting joe public to behave better and do more, how about our government actually works for us for a change?

I don't think doing any of those short term things like lockdowns/passports are really going to get to the bottom of this countries woes and long term will just make things worse.

All you need to see is who is already paying the price for all these lockdowns etc. economically and socially... its the working class, youngsters and middle class paying more taxes/NI while dealing with price rises and service cuts whilst the billionaires, boomers and upper classes get richer and richer.

For measures to work, people need to be empowered to make the correct choice and encouraged to play their role in creating a better society. At the moment it's very much, every man for themselves and feeding off scraps. Until that changes then we're stuffed. If only we had a credible opposition that wasn't getting tangled up in stupid debates over who has a cervix and the rest of it... If I was 10 years younger and without wife/mortgage/secure career I'd be running a mile to somewhere better.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

at this point though when we "live with covid". Is it really a competition any longer? Surely as long as we can cope with the levels then short term comparisons and restrictions aren't really where we need to base discussion and it needs to move on to more long term, socioeconomic issues more in line with "living with covid" as one of many long term public health issues.

@Creative Midfielder what is it exactly you want? Another lockdown? Masks mandated everywhere? Vaccine passports?

For me I think we need to look more long term at the more insidious damage the tories have done to our society, driving inequality for at least the last decade. Rather than just cracking the whip and getting joe public to behave better and do more, how about our government actually works for us for a change?

I don't think doing any of those short term things like lockdowns/passports are really going to get to the bottom of this countries woes and long term will just make things worse.

All you need to see is who is already paying the price for all these lockdowns etc. economically and socially... its the working class, youngsters and middle class paying more taxes/NI while dealing with price rises and service cuts whilst the billionaires, boomers and upper classes get richer and richer.

For measures to work, people need to be empowered to make the correct choice and encouraged to play their role in creating a better society. At the moment it's very much, every man for themselves and feeding off scraps. Until that changes then we're stuffed. If only we had a credible opposition that wasn't getting tangled up in stupid debates over who has a cervix and the rest of it... If I was 10 years younger and without wife/mortgage/secure career I'd be running a mile to somewhere better.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that it is a competition, but there are some very direct consequences that flow from the cases numbers, and they are all bad.

It’s clear that the Tories are completely unconcerned with the ongoing toll of unnecessary deaths, still running at 100+ per day to add to many thousands caused by their earlier mistakes. They don't seem particularly concerned that the NHS is totally overwhelmed by a combination of current Covid cases, the massive backlog of 'normal' stuff created by the last 18 months, plus the millions of people suffering from Long Covid - a tally is still rising by hundreds per day as well - although they are obviously worried enough to try and shift the blame, quite astonishingly, onto GPs.

What is genuinely surprising though is that they appear totally unconcerned about the huge drag on our economy that these case numbers represent. I realise that there are any number crises you could point to as to why our economic growth is at a standstill, and very likely to turn negative in the near future. But, actually, growth had virtually fizzled out altogether before the petrol nonsense and all the other supply issues really kicked in and the energy price rises - and the level of virus  was the main cause initially and those additional issues are going to hurt the economy even more.

The notion that it was simply necessary to lift the restrictions to return the economy to normal was always patently nonsense and has been proved to be so - you can take a horse to water and so on............ Unlocking whilst we still had a huge number of cases has meant that many (a majority of?) consumers have remained cautious (to a greater of lesser) extent - this great surge to spend all this cash that we've apparently saved whilst being locked down that was confidently predicted has failed to materialise, and of course there has been a massive absences in the workforce due to the ongoing cases.

For the record I'm not suggesting another lockdown (although we could still be forced into one) but we could have been far more intelligent about how we lifted the restriction which is essentially the point I was trying to make with the chart. The exact detail should rightly vary according to different countries needs but in the case of the UK I would suggest that lifting the requirements on masks when we did was especially stupid and as motivated entirely by Johnson's wish to appease the ideological RWNJs in his own party. From a rational perspective, mask wearing was one of the most effective ways of reducing the spread and something we've all got used to over the last 18 months - sheer common sense, never mind the data, said keep it until we really had got the numbers done. Likewise working from home, seems to have worked really well for a huge number of people - you (by you I obviously mean Johnson not you) surely have to be brain dead to then urge everybody to stop doing that and go back to the office. In the case of my son's company, for example, they were working fine from home, and then had the disruption of being dragged back to the office for 3, or possibly 4 days before positive cases appeared, so some were off sick and everybody else was sent home to set up there again - imagine what did to their productivity.

Finally, it is not all about restrictions, there are other very important elements in the countries' pandemic responses. For example, I believe most other European countries have effective track and trace systems, whereas we, despite the many billions we've spent, do not. That is another significant factor in being able to restrict the spread of the virus and therefore I would imagine another factor which makes the UK's performance so poor relative to our neighbours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dj11 said:

Thanks for that. My 6 months is due on 21 October, and I am flying to Cape Town on 26th, so would ideally like it done before I go. Does anyone have any thoughts if the vaccine would have any effect on the test to fly results. I appreciate this is not a medical forum, but I have gleaned more useful information from here, than anywhere else. 

Don’t take my word 100% but as I understand it you are not injected with any part of the COVID virus so therefore if you test positive it is because you are positive. Feel free to 100% check that. You may remember when you are told side effects you are told anything should last no longer than 48 hours as you cannot catch COVID from the vaccine. If they last longer than 48 hours you are advised to get a pcr test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Especially agree with this section TJ. It's where I am. Likewise, agree about the long term damage being done to our society. I also believe CM makes valid points about decision making at various stages but also his point about the messaging and narrative. It really feels like the government has all but given up with messaging. You'd struggle to realise we remain very much in the middle of a pandemic (someone I read stated that if this were a computer game with 10 levels we may be at level 5 or 6 now). Watching Welsh TV from time to time and it's stark just how different the messaging is ....serious and cautious. However, whilst I like this adult way of communicating I'm unsure whether Covid figures are much less as a result in Wales.

I think we will only see the final figures in years time. Time then to compare countries.

Plus, there will be an enquiry. Hunt and Clark have given us their view. I think their view actually chimes with public opinion. But if you happen to be a Tory then I can't see you would change your view based purely on Covid management and vote for another party. People just tend not to. Just like I've never voted Tory and never will do (nor did I like Blair because I felt he was a kind of Tory). I doubt the Tory Party could ever align with my values. (I must add though at a local level I've worked with many in my various jobs so not every Conservative is a nasty person!). Anyway, my point is that I'm moving away too from Covid management and this government to a wider view of what kind of society we want. Being away for a few days break has given me some ideas but I will reflect longer before risking posting (or simply not at all).

For now, we just have to hope Covid 19 dies away like the 1918 Flu epidemic did (mostly) and the latter was probably because of herd immunity being reached and those weaker died. Now we have better treatments and vaccines. 

I have even wondered whether Brexit will be as damaging over the longer term than Covid ...quite a thought. But...if this sounds fanciful the effect of economic policy has been highlighted today in a study of the Tory Party's  austerity programme over the years 2010 to 2015. There have been tens of thousands of deaths linked to it. I've witnessed many people suffer terribly as a result of Osborne and Cameron's cuts and therefore @Tetteys Jig I believe the drift of your main points are not far from a real truth. A complicated area but it so often is.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Latest ONS - 

England now 1in 60  from 1 in 70 last week.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/15october2021

1.Main points

• In England, the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) continued to increase in the week ending 9 October 2021; we estimate that 890,000 people in England had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 839,700 to 941,300), equating to around 1 in 60 people.

• In Wales, the percentage of people testing positive for COVID-19 increased in the week ending 9 October 2021; we estimate that 66,200 people in Wales had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 54,400 to 79,300), equating to around 1 in 45 people.

• In Northern Ireland, the percentage of people testing positive for COVID-19 decreased in the two weeks up to 9 October 2021, but the trend was uncertain in the week ending 9 October 2021; we estimate that 15,100 people in Northern Ireland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 9,700 to 21,700), equating to around 1 in 120 people.

• In Scotland, the percentage of people testing positive for COVID-19 continued to decrease in the week ending 9 October 2021; we estimate that 66,600 people in Scotland had COVID-19, (95% credible interval: 53,900 to 80,900) equating to around 1 in 80 people.

National

44,932  - 145

rate of increase of 11.5% over 7 days, 

Local

Norwich positive rate             308.1     

patients in N&N 

12-10-2021                 29
11-10-2021 31
10-10-2021 22
09-10-2021 19
08-10-2021 17

Vax ( vax percentages have been recalibrated to include 12-16 yr olds)

1st Dose      43,489             85.8% done                            Norwich numbers   74.7% 

2nd Dose     27,991             78.8% done                                                               68.2%

In Hospital

14-10-2021                  7,086
13-10-2021 7,042
12-10-2021 7,041
11-10-2021 7,029
10-10-2021 6,880
09-10-2021 6,710
08-10-2021 6,772

4 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

and I check the ONS numbers when I remember or when someone mentions them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

I saw something  similar in another ONS reports.

Looks like 2021 has been about neutral for deaths but slightly growing, which is a worry given the commentary about this being a winter of multiple threats.

It also seems to show how badly we did with care homes.   Deaths suddenly exploded in mid march having been average for the time of year until then. This seems consistent with hospitals emptying patients and putting responsibility elsewhere.  Lessons appear to have been learnt for wave two but a bit late for the unfortunates.

Screenshot_20211015-132837_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ed0367c0be79e3ded91612890dc3e315.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Finally, it is not all about restrictions, there are other very important elements in the countries' pandemic responses. For example, I believe most other European countries have effective track and trace systems, whereas we, despite the many billions we've spent, do not. That is another significant factor in being able to restrict the spread of the virus and therefore I would imagine another factor which makes the UK's performance so poor relative to our neighbours.

Thanks for the considered response @Creative Midfielder, for what it's worth, I wasn't having a go, more questioning where we need to focus things now on a global scale with this whole pandemic. Taken as is, "cases don't matter" is completely true... why should it matter if you don't get sick? We both know there is nuance to that statement that needs to be considered.

Drop down into the next level of stats and thats where things do matter. While we need to avoid getting into a paranoid psychosis about "cases" we all know that there is direct correlation to the parts that do matter, hospitalisations and death (and long covid but that's a whole other debate entirely!).

Any graph you look at based on serious cases and we are miles better off than we were in January even with this mass load of cases mainly stemming from schools/Unis that is currently going. It would be some going to get back there in a vaccinated world.

I must admit that having been to Madiera (Portugal) life seemed to be running as normal but people generally more calm and respectful of mask use in supermarkets etc. which wasn't strictly enforced as such and didn't really interfere that much with life over there. Any talk of lockdowns was met with a "oh yeah, that palava from over a year ago... dark days but we've moved on somewhat". My mum reported reasonably similar from her trip to semi rural France recently.

That to me confirms my suspicions that our problems are more deeply rooted than simply not having enough restrictions. People in those places are generally looked after and respected better whereas we seem to be turning more into mini USA by the day but without most of the good bits.

I genuinely don't think another lockdown of any sorts would be politically feasible in this country no matter what happens as I get the feeling many feel they've done their share of extreme restrictions only for many to just abuse their place in society and do as they please.

Sure, shut the clubs/restaurants/arenas but try stop the more sentimental aspects of life like funerals, private gatherings and the like and people will riot/not comply. Their only tools left are mandates and domestic passports which will prove incredibly unpopular which presents the tories with a tricky path to navigate. Can they weather the storm of more disruption of freedoms or should they just gamble on "taking the hit" economically of another wave.

There is a 3rd option as I explained above but this is clearly too kind and socialist for them to consider so it won't happen. Short of that, all it will be is some **** "you can go to work Monday to Friday but don't you dare think of doing anything other than that" control on the population.

Personally I don't think it will come to that but it will still be a pretty depressing, long winter of hardship, hate and political division further compounded by a continuing public health crisis.

Sadly, I don't really have the answer so I'll probably just mainly switch off from it all and concentrate on my own little family/friendship bubble and head to the Winchester while it all blows over. My only realistic alternative is to **** and moan about it on Twitter so what's the point... leave that to the fools caught up in party politics propaganda that has poisoned our society especially so over the last decade.

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Thanks for the considered response @Creative Midfielder, for what it's worth, I wasn't having a go, more questioning where we need to focus things now on a global scale with this whole pandemic. Taken as is, "cases don't matter" is completely true... why should it matter if you don't get sick? We both know there is nuance to that statement that needs to be considered.

Drop down into the next level of stats and thats where things do matter. While we need to avoid getting into a paranoid psychosis about "cases" we all know that there is direct correlation to the parts that do matter, hospitalisations and death (and long covid but that's a whole other debate entirely!).

Any graph you look at based on serious cases and we are miles better off than we were in January even with this mass load of cases mainly stemming from schools/Unis that is currently going. It would be some going to get back there in a vaccinated world.

I must admit that having been to Madiera (Portugal) life seemed to be running as normal but people generally more calm and respectful of mask use in supermarkets etc. which wasn't strictly enforced as such and didn't really interfere that much with life over there. Any talk of lockdowns was met with a "oh yeah, that palava from over a year ago... dark days but we've moved on somewhat". My mum reported reasonably similar from her trip to semi rural France recently.

That to me confirms my suspicions that our problems are more deeply rooted than simply not having enough restrictions. People in those places are generally looked after and respected better whereas we seem to be turning more into mini USA by the day but without most of the good bits.

I genuinely don't think another lockdown of any sorts would be politically feasible in this country no matter what happens as I get the feeling many feel they've done their share of extreme restrictions only for many to just abuse their place in society and do as they please.

Sure, shut the clubs/restaurants/arenas but try stop the more sentimental aspects of life like funerals, private gatherings and the like and people will riot/not comply. Their only tools left are mandates and domestic passports which will prove incredibly unpopular which presents the tories with a tricky path to navigate. Can they weather the storm of more disruption of freedoms or should they just gamble on "taking the hit" economically of another wave.

There is a 3rd option as I explained above but this is clearly too kind and socialist for them to consider so it won't happen. Short of that, all it will be is some **** "you can go to work Monday to Friday but don't you dare think of doing anything other than that" control on the population.

Personally I don't think it will come to that but it will still be a pretty depressing, long winter of hardship, hate and political division further compounded by a continuing public health crisis.

Sadly, I don't really have the answer so I'll probably just mainly switch off from it all and concentrate on my own little family/friendship bubble and head to the Winchester while it all blows over. My only realistic alternative is to **** and moan about it on Twitter so what's the point... leave that to the fools caught up in party politics propaganda that has poisoned our society especially so over the last decade.

Nicely written and considered piece TJ, your point about respect rings true with me, the divisions we see in the UK, breakdown of Civic society which can be traced back to Thatchers days, the appalling level of public discourse we see compounded by social media and politicians, anti social behaviours we all see day to day which generally goes unchallenged and appears to be celebrated by many,  the level of entitlement that pervades many areas of society, the poor quality of leadership we witness and the distain with which our leaders are viewed..........what a feckin mess, I'll join you in the Winchester 😉

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 00:16, Tetteys Jig said:

I agree with all of that and of course you are right that we are far better off than in January this year, even though case numbers are now the same.

Nevertheless, I think if you look down the other end of the telescope - say the last 18 months hadn't happened and the pandemic was in its early days and daily cases were now hitting 40,000+ and daily deaths 'only' 150 (and both rising) we would probably be thinking that we had a pretty serious problem that needed some action, certainly I think we would be much more concerned than we actually are at the moment.

I was reading something recently which pointed out that we (governments, doctors, scientists and the rest of us) accept that an annual average of 10,000 deaths from flu is 'normal' in the UK even though many of these deaths are actually preventable. At the moment we also seem to be accepting the likelihood of 40,000+ deaths per year from Covid becoming the norm in future. That appears to be the Government thinking and of course they may well be right that people will come to regard that as normal - but, if so, I'm pretty sure that the UK will be an outlier again, I can't imagine many other western countries would find that level acceptable.

But as you said in your earlier post, which I also agree with, the virus is now just sitting alongside a wide range of other problems. Eleven years (and counting) of Tory rule has inflicted huge damage on our society and our economy and whilst for several years Brexit & then the pandemic have kept other issues largely out of the headlines, perhaps an unintended consequence of Johnson's attempt to persuade us that everything is back to normal, is that more and more people are starting to remember that in many ways normal was actually pretty grim, and the inequalities that you referred to have most definitely been made even worse by both Brexit and the pandemic.

So, I'd agree with you that our problems are deeply rooted, widely ranging and IMO there is, so far, no sign of any solutions at all. So yes, the future looks pretty depressing already...............then there is the climate emergency............

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

National

45,140  - 57

rate of increase of 15.1% over 7 days,  slowly climbing again

Local

Norwich rate 338.3  up 28% (7 days)

patients in N&N 

12-10-2021                 29
11-10-2021 31
10-10-2021 22
09-10-2021 19
08-10-2021 17

Vax ( vax percentages have been recalibrated to include 12-16 yr olds)

1st Dose      23,706             85.9% done                            Norwich numbers   74.8% 

2nd Dose     32,983             78.9% done                                                               68.2%

In Hospital

14-10-2021                  7,086
13-10-2021 7,042
12-10-2021 7,041
11-10-2021 7,029
10-10-2021 6,880
09-10-2021 6,710
08-10-2021 6,772

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I’ve got to look, but was told last night that the monthly average death rate in below the 5 year levels. I’ll have to look it up!

My son has a contact at the N and N hospital who says that almost all those in hospital are unvaccinated.

No surprise really

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’ve got to look, but was told last night that the monthly average death rate in below the 5 year levels. I’ll have to look it up!

Unfortunately not, or at least not on the last figures.  ONS publish this data week by week.   Excess deaths are up across the range of diseases though so difficult to know what the dorect cause of the overall excess is.Screenshot_20211017-172725_Chrome.jpg.a4e1db3f75973593e1d25d2748f7f4d5.jpg

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

My son has a contact at the N and N hospital who says that almost all those in hospital are unvaccinated.

No surprise really

According to the Economist 80-90% of this in hospital are unvaccinated. 

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

No surprise really

As you say, unsurprising. I know of three people within a hundred yards of my house who got it, but although poorly for a fortnight, never came close to being hospitalised.

Mind you, its easier to go to A&E at the moment than your own surgery. I cannot even get my regular blood test at the moment. Too busy apparently.

Hmm - If only we could also show such humanity...

EU has exported over 1bn vaccine doses worldwide – von der Leyen

The head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has issued a statement this morning about the EU reaching a vaccine milestone. She says the bloc has exported over 1bn vaccine doses worldwide. She says:

We have reached an important milestone in the delivery of Covid-19 vaccines to the world. The European Union has exported over 1bn vaccine doses worldwide, over the past ten months. Vaccines produced in the EU have been shipped to more than 150 countries. We delivered around 87m doses to low- and middle-income countries through Covax. Very clearly, the European Union is the largest exporter of Covid-19 vaccines.

In parallel, the EU has enabled the vaccination of our citizens. And more than 75% of adults in the EU are now fully vaccinated. Together with President Biden, we aim for a global vaccination rate of 70% by next year. The EU-US Agenda for Beating the Global Pandemic will help us achieve that. On top of our exports, the EU will donate in the next months at least 500 million doses to the most vulnerable countries. But other countries need to step up, too.

Von der Leyen goes on to say that she will be pressing world leaders at the G20 summit in Rome next week on the issue.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The European Union has exported over 1bn vaccine doses worldwide, over the past ten months. Vaccines produced in the EU have been shipped to more than 150 countries. We delivered around 87m doses to low- and middle-income countries through Covax. 

Of the 1 billion doses 913 million went to the richest few countries then?  I wonder why that is....

1 hour ago, Herman said:

To upset you? 

I was tempted by the 'you're not very good at humour' line. But I resisted it!

To the subject matter I dont know if this was a release directed mainly at the US in an attempt to shame them into exporting more vaccine; an attempt by the EU to make up for the reputational damage they suffered in the early days of the vaccine or; the EU trying to position itself in the world.   Regardless of the messaging though, to suggest that the exports have been motivated by 'humanity' as opposed to profit (appreciating that the two are not always decoupled) seems to me to be stretching it a bit.

I'm glad that vaccines have been manufactured, but let's not try to suggest that anyone involved in production and distribution (except maybe AZ) has been particularly altruistic.   

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I was tempted by the 'you're not very good at humour' line. But I resisted it!

To the subject matter I dont know if this was a release directed mainly at the US in an attempt to shame them into exporting more vaccine; an attempt by the EU to make up for the reputational damage they suffered in the early days of the vaccine or; the EU trying to position itself in the world.   Regardless of the messaging though, to suggest that the exports have been motivated by 'humanity' as opposed to profit (appreciating that the two are not always decoupled) seems to me to be stretching it a bit.

I'm glad that vaccines have been manufactured, but let's not try to suggest that anyone involved in production and distribution (except maybe AZ) has been particularly altruistic.   

Its just a humbling fact BB. They have long sailed past us in all ways that matter vs the vaccines.

By the way - I guess you're one of the lucky recipients of EU vaccines too - if not already you will be for the booster. As I said a year or two ago you'll have to stand and sing Ode to Joy as you receive it (it's those microchips 😉 )

von der Leyen's statement.

We have reached an important milestone in the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines to the world. The European Union has exported over 1 billion vaccine doses worldwide, over the past ten months. Vaccines produced in the EU have been shipped to more than 150 countries on all continents – from Japan to Turkey, from the UK to New Zealand, from South Africa to Brazil. We delivered around 87 million doses to low- and middle-income countries through COVAX. Very clearly, the European Union is the largest exporter of COVID-19 vaccines. We have always shared our vaccines fairly with the rest of the world. We have exported as much as we delivered to EU citizens. Indeed, at least every second vaccine produced in Europe is exported.

In parallel, the EU has enabled the vaccination of our citizens. And more than 75% of adults in the EU are now fully vaccinated. But we remained open to the world from the start and continued to export, even when vaccines were scarce at home. Because we knew that we will only beat COVID-19 if we fight it everywhere. And we will do more. Together with President Biden, we aim for a global vaccination rate of 70% by next year. The EU-US Agenda for Beating the Global Pandemic will help us achieve that. The European Union is doing its part.

On top of our exports, the EU will donate in the next months at least 500 million doses to the most vulnerable countries. But other countries need to step up, too. I work closely with Prime Minister Draghi and President Biden to rally G20 leaders at the Rome Summit next week behind this ambitious goal: beating the global pandemic.

Thank you.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Of the 1 billion doses 913 million went to the richest few countries then?  I wonder why that is....

I expect they paid for them up front.

Who'd a guessed😉

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Its just a humbling fact BB. They have long sailed past us in all ways that matter vs the vaccines.

By the way - I guess you're one of the lucky recipients of EU vaccines too - if not already you will be for the booster. As I said a year or two ago you'll have to stand and sing Ode to Joy

I'm the lucky recipient of a French car too.  Does that mean I have to make a pilgrimage to strasbourg to give thanks and praises to the EU for its munificence in allowing car plants to operate ? I had thought my purchase was on the basis of fair exchange but I see now that the dodgy air con was a little reminder of my need to stay humble.

I'm going going to feel pretty conflicted when I have to go to Beijing to thank president Xi for personally designing my latest keyring

Edited by Barbe bleu