Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

So “the science” today showing one vaccine decreases chances of hospitalisation by 75 per cent, regardless of variant.

Running out of things to keep waiting three weeks for (every three weeks) aren’t we? 

I did the figures in detail the other day, worked out at very much 96%+ for two shot vaccinations, but this is brilliant news. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Excellent news

AstraZeneca has claimed victory in its legal case against the EU after a court in Brussels found that the bloc should not be given priority over other countries for jabs.
The judge at the Brussels court ordered that AstraZeneca deliver 80 million doses of its vaccine by the end of September, well below the 300 million that the European Commission had been seeking.
It dismissed EU claims that it should have exclusivity or right of priority over all other countries that AstraZeneca had struck deals with.
AstraZeneca said it had already delivered 70 million doses of its jabs and was set to "substantially exceed" the 80.2 million doses it was being ordered to.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-astrazeneca-and-eu-both-claim-win-as-court-rules-on-vaccine-supply-row-12335852

AstraZeneca and the EU have both claimed victory in a court ruling over the supply of COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/18/astrazeneca-ordered-to-deliver-millions-of-covid-19-vaccine-doses-to-eu-by-june

The Commission said in a statement on Friday that the Court of First Instance of Brussels has ordered "AstraZeneca to urgently deliver 50 million doses of vaccine by 27 September 2021" according to a binding schedule and that failure to do so would result in the Anglo-Swedish company paying "a penalty of €10 per dose not delivered."

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-astrazeneca-and-eu-both-claim-win-as-court-rules-on-vaccine-supply-row-12335852

AstraZeneca and the EU have both claimed victory in a court ruling over the supply of COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/18/astrazeneca-ordered-to-deliver-millions-of-covid-19-vaccine-doses-to-eu-by-june

The Commission said in a statement on Friday that the Court of First Instance of Brussels has ordered "AstraZeneca to urgently deliver 50 million doses of vaccine by 27 September 2021" according to a binding schedule and that failure to do so would result in the Anglo-Swedish company paying "a penalty of €10 per dose not delivered."

Both sides claim victory, will have to see the judgement and reasons

I’m a little lost by this, I didn’t think AZ was being used that much in the EU?

There’s no winners really, both need to work together to get things done for the good of the people.

AZ share price rock steady.

A good indicator.

(Analysis from someone who can read French)

A very quick read seems to indicate that AZN won the big victory (re best reasonable efforts) and the EU won a consolation prize (re court-ordered deliveries from now to September).

Edited by ricardo

26 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Pitiful really, Big Pharma fighting Rich Countries whilst the poorest of the world getting overlooked. 

As a species, we are not good at ensuring mutual survival.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Both sides claim victory, will have to see the judgement and reasons

Hi VW

Those will be going to ‘ less rich nations ‘. The EU have purchased and will help manufacture 1.8 billion Pfizer doses and currently administer 4.5 million doses a day. The US have also agreed to immediately release 80 million Oxford and 20 million Pfizer to similar nations by June 30th. Below is an extract from the agreement 20/5/2021.

Today, the European Commission signed a third contract with the pharmaceutical companies BioNTech and Pfizer. It reserves an additional 1.8 billion doses on behalf of all EU Member States, between end 2021 to 2023. It will allow for the purchase of 900 million doses of the current vaccine and of a vaccine adapted to variants, with the option to purchase an additional 900 million doses.

The contract requires that the vaccine production is based in the EU and that essential components are sourced from the EU. It also stipulates that, from the start of the supply in 2022, the delivery to the EU is guaranteed. Thanks to the well-established cooperation with the companies under the current contracts and arrangements put in place, timely deliveries of the doses are ensured. The possibility for Member States to resell or donate doses to countries in need outside the EU or through the COVAX Facility has been reinforced, contributing to a global and fair access to the vaccine across the world. This new contract will strengthen the EU vaccine production capacity thus allowing to serve other markets across the world.

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Pitiful really, Big Pharma fighting Rich Countries whilst the poorest of the world getting overlooked. 

As a species, we are not good at ensuring mutual survival.

Indeed the US could be manufacturing 100 million doses per month of Oxford, but until this week wouldn’t start getting it into the phials. Had the US, U.K., India and to a lesser degree EU, kept to their June 2020 statements then an estimated 1.2 billion additional people would have been vaccinated throughout the world by now. In the US case they were never even likely to to approve AZ but would not allow manufactured vaccine to be exported.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Hi VW

Those will be going to ‘ less rich nations ‘. The EU have purchased and will help manufacture 1.8 billion Pfizer doses and currently administer 4.5 million doses a day. The US have also agreed to immediately release 80 million Oxford and 20 million Pfizer to similar nations by June 30th. Below is an extract from the agreement 20/5/2021.

Today, the European Commission signed a third contract with the pharmaceutical companies BioNTech and Pfizer. It reserves an additional 1.8 billion doses on behalf of all EU Member States, between end 2021 to 2023. It will allow for the purchase of 900 million doses of the current vaccine and of a vaccine adapted to variants, with the option to purchase an additional 900 million doses.

The contract requires that the vaccine production is based in the EU and that essential components are sourced from the EU. It also stipulates that, from the start of the supply in 2022, the delivery to the EU is guaranteed. Thanks to the well-established cooperation with the companies under the current contracts and arrangements put in place, timely deliveries of the doses are ensured. The possibility for Member States to resell or donate doses to countries in need outside the EU or through the COVAX Facility has been reinforced, contributing to a global and fair access to the vaccine across the world. This new contract will strengthen the EU vaccine production capacity thus allowing to serve other markets across the world.

Good intentions, but it is now 6 months since the first vaccine in the world was administered and the vaccination rate in poorer countries is almost non existent. 

I am quoting the following line from ourworldindata.org

Only 0.8% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose.

We really ought to be concentrating as hard on rectifying this as we have on the home roll out.

Not a dig at you WBB, it's just that we have proved we can move mountains when necessary, it would be great to the same urgency applied to the rest of world.

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Good intentions, but it is now 6 months since the first vaccine in the world was administered and the vaccination rate in poorer countries is almost non existent. 

I am quoting the following line from ourworldindata.org

Only 0.8% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose.

We really ought to be concentrating as hard on rectifying this as we have on the home roll out.

Not a dig at you WBB, it's just that we have proved we can move mountains when necessary, it would be great to the same urgency applied to the rest of world.

Hi Daz

I am agreeing, see my response to your post. All the nationalism just means 1.2 billion doses that could have been manufactured and distributed haven’t been. That particular post was meant to indicate just like the US the EU will have Oxford doses that they are very unlikely to use. Hopefully however they will immediately offer those to Countries who do need them, at least we live in hope.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hopefully however they will immediately offer those to Countries who do need them, at least we live in hope

Indeed, until we learn to work together and for the greater good, we are decreasing our chances of controlling the virus and by definition controlling mutations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

My post was about failure to progress since the mid C 19, not like you to turn it into a rant against the current Tory Government, a view which actually I have sympathy with, but for your postings it’s like a record stuck in a single groove.

The issue is about successive governments of all political persuasions failing to deal with health inequalities, a much bigger issue than partisan political point scoring.

Very true but my 'rant', which seems to me a complete misrespresentation of what I actually said, wasn't even a response to your post so I wasn't trying to 'turn' it anything per se - although now you mention it I would certainly dispute the notion that we've failed to progress since the mid C 19.

I'm sure there was a good reason why we spent such an inordinate proportion of our A level history periods studying English 19 C social history instead of something interesting (well that's how it seemed to me at the time anyway). Add to that actually experiencing a fair chunk of 20th century English social history and there is little doubt in my mind that we have made progress albeit progress that has been largely stalled for many years and for the last 10 years has gone into reverse. A reverse which has been picking up speed with a series of failed Tory govts/PMs and has now gone into overdrive with the toxic combination of the pandemic response and Brexit.

So sorry if my posts appear to be stuck in a single groove but if we talking about about current affairs (I have managed the odd upbeat post about football 😀) then that might perhaps be because we as country are stuck in a single groove, and not in a remotely good or accidental way.

Which actually seems to be what you saying as well but you don't like me complaining about it or blaming the people who are currently responsible for our current problems. Of course we've had governments before that have failed badly, and in fact I've posted several times about how I think our dysfunctional electoral system has been responsible for a very long-standing record of generally poor governance in the UK but no British government has ever failed so badly as the series of Tory governments we've endured since 2010, and specifically and worst of all the one we have right now.

So I'm afraid you are not going get any apology from me for constantly criticising this bunch of corrupt incompetents unless\until you can show me where my criticisms are unfounded, and since you say you have some sympathy for my view I'm intrigued to know what your approach would be to restoring some sanity and decency to this country and how we are ever going to make any progress without first removing Johnson and his whole unsavoury crew?

Edited by Creative Midfielder

18 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very true but my 'rant', which seems to me a complete misrespresentation of what I actually said, wasn't even a response to your post so I wasn't trying to 'turn' it anything per se - although now you mention it I would certainly dispute the notion that we've failed to progress since the mid C 19.

I'm sure there was a good reason why we spent such an inordinate proportion of our A level history periods studying English 19 C social history instead of something interesting (well that's how it seemed to me at the time anyway). Add to that actually experiencing a fair chunk of 20th century English social history and there is little doubt in my mind that we have made progress albeit progress that has been largely stalled for many years and for the last 10 years has gone into reverse. A reverse which has been picking up speed with a series of failed Tory govts/PMs and has now gone into overdrive with the toxic combination of the pandemic response and Brexit.

So sorry if my posts appear to be stuck in a single groove but if we talking about about current affairs (I have managed the odd upbeat post about football 😀) then that might perhaps be because we as country are stuck in a single groove, and not in a remotely good or accidental way.

Which actually seems to be what you saying as well but you don't like me complaining about it or blaming the people who are currently responsible for our current problems. Of course we've had governments before that have failed badly, and in fact I've posted several times about how I think our dysfunctional electoral system has been responsible for a very long-standing record of generally poor governance in the UK but no British government has ever failed so badly as the series of Tory governments we've endured since 2010, and specifically and worst of all the one we have right now.

So I'm afraid you are not going get any apology from me for constantly criticising this bunch of corrupt incompetents unless\until you can show me where my criticisms are unfounded, and since you say you have some sympathy for my view I'm intrigued to know what your approach would be to restoring some sanity and decency to this country and how we are ever going to make any progress without first removing Johnson and his whole unsavoury crew?

Trouble is, the majority of voters in this country don't seem to want change. When they are offered a group of politicians who want to alter things, such as Corbyn, they don't vote for them.

They would rather it seems, want to return to waving the damn flag and pretending the UK is still as important as it ever was. So lets spend a fortune on nuclear weapons, frivolous capital expenditure such as Cross Rail and HS2 ( for the home counties).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I hope that the UK government stick to their guns when it comes to not letting in a load of UEFA officials without quarantine 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9699193/Uefa-threatens-strip-Wembley-Euro-2020-final-unless-VIPs-allowed-WITHOUT-quarantining.html

or they could just allow double vaccinated people to travel without quarantine...

My Grandson had to isolate as his mate's girlfriend tested positive. But now he has been sent a new testing kit. If he tests negative, he does not have to self isolate for 24 hours until he takes the next test.

Perhaps these officials could arrive after two jabs, a negative PCR and then take these new tests.

Scientists say third wave now here, Johnson strikes again, wonder how he will trigger fourth, fifth etc etc.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Scientists say third wave now here, Johnson strikes again, wonder how he will trigger fourth, fifth etc etc.

Another new variant would be my guess, he doesn't seem to have learnt anything from his many previous mistakes so I can't see that changing anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Another new variant would be my guess, he doesn't seem to have learnt anything from his many previous mistakes so I can't see that changing anytime soon.

The wags on social media have dubbed this the Johnson Variant. I wonder what the next will be called, Hancock's Malady?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Very nice of the scientists to notice the 3rd wave, considering it started 3 or 4 weeks ago. Johnson strikes again?..im sorry i was under the illusion that it was Covid and its variants causing these waves. Around 230 nations on this planet, vast majority of whom are getting these waves of Covid..so you are expecting Boris to have some magical wand to himself trigger these waves all by himself?...and i guess you  blame his triggering by delaying Indian  people coming in to the UK by a few days to late?..be real..these variants will get into most nations sooner or later..im sure Boris has made mistakes...he's human...as has every single leader and government in the world.

Anyways, yes, hospital admissions have increased from very slight to slow to medium now and deaths are just starting to see  very slight rises so..no doubt that this 3rd wave has different circumstances to the first two..we are riding it with much less lockdown than before, with vaccination program protecting hundreds of thousands more each day and with the majority of infections being with the younger generation. The pro active start that the government had on vaccination right from the early days has  helped immensely of course but most praise to the NHS and all the volunteers associated with making it happen.

UK continues to drop down the table of the worst hit countries in deaths per million of the population ( now 19th). Argentina and Columbia have just sailed past.

European cases have finally dropped below ours but their deaths have continued to be ten to twenty times higher for past 3 months. A sign of our higher vax'd numbers presumably. I also expect the Delta variant to hit there shortly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by ricardo

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

10321 - 14

Local

image.png.1de577b84a35fdb85a9f020166a7647c.png

image.thumb.png.173d81b4757305a4862395c420de42af.png

image.thumb.png.ac31676fff0000ccda723486d2d57a9a.png

Vax still a bit below par.

image.thumb.png.58b523b368a4cf27f15150a8a31d2152.png

Stable figures, notice hospitalisation not moving either, looks like this so called third wave is in the Young which  basically means no real impact to the important two measures, carry on like this and we’ll move into the next phase next month.

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

UK continues to drop down the table of the worst hit countries in deaths per million of the population ( now 19th). Argentina and Columbia have just sailed past.

European cases have finally dropped below ours but their deaths have continued to be ten to twenty times higher for past 3 months. A sign of our higher vax'd numbers presumably. I also expect the Delta variant to hit there shortly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yep, its already being reported on the continent and they will be following our curve on this occasion, with probably more serious consequences due to the lower number of vaccinated individuals. I would expect Italy France and the UK all to end up with very similar outcomes on deaths.

On 18/06/2021 at 12:31, horsefly said:

You never contribute anything but your disgusting prejudices and your hideous apologising for a convicted paedophile. If you think I'm going to let you get away with that think again. The fact you have never apologised for your degenerate comments says everything anyone needs to know about what sort of morally depraved individual you are.

Another thread but not this one. You're derailing it with non Corona virus stuff