Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I see J&J now under similar investigation - clots.

Also - 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/08/almost-all-dutch-made-astrazeneca-doses-will-stay-in-eu-says-brussels

As expected. At least it will help expedite most of the oldies in Europe vaccinated quicker.

Viral vector vaccine as with AZ, as said previously good track record of safety but maybe an extremely rare adverse reaction. 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Viral vector vaccine as with AZ, as said previously good track record of safety but maybe an extremely rare adverse reaction. 

I picked this up from Reuters and which is really what I was alluding too a few days ago. In any event I suspect its very very rare.

Adenovirus technologies such as that used by AstraZeneca and others have been associated with clotting in other settings, so if this is the reason for the rare side effects observed with the Astra vaccine, shots from J&J, Sputnik and Chinese drugmaker CanSino Biologics Inc. would also be at risk, said Sam Fazeli, an analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I picked this up from Reuters and which is really what I was alluding too a few days ago. In any event I suspect its very very rare.

Adenovirus technologies such as that used by AstraZeneca and others have been associated with clotting in other settings, so if this is the reason for the rare side effects observed with the Astra vaccine, shots from J&J, Sputnik and Chinese drugmaker CanSino Biologics Inc. would also be at risk, said Sam Fazeli, an analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence.

The press is not as slow in keeping up with the pink un as it used to be. On other issues they have been months behind.

This is new technology and  ad with all new tech there will be glitches. Let's hope these issues are ironed out as the world needs this.

That being said it's easy to underestimate what 1 in a million means. 1 million really is a very big number and the chances of a fatal clot for most of us are much less than that.

16 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The press is not as slow in keeping up with the pink un as it used to be. On other issues they have been months behind.

This is new technology and  ad with all new tech there will be glitches. Let's hope these issues are ironed out as the world needs this.

That being said it's easy to underestimate what 1 in a million means. 1 million really is a very big number and the chances of a fatal clot for most of us are much less than that.

Yes BB but people are notoriously bad at assessing personal risk especially ones that can't be easily seen. I have no worries about AZ or any of them but I do 'get' the slight concern of willingly rolling the dice and hope you're not the 1 in a million or whatever as opposed to pretending ostrich like you can avoid the virus when of course in reality you can't but even then it might not get you for another 6 months.

Do you have a link for this YF

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sorry what I was looking for was info about viral vector vaccine “being associated with clotting in other settings”, to the best of my knowledge this type of vaccine has been used extensively and I am not aware of these problems being reported and reviewed in any journal. From my understanding this type of vaccine has a very good safety record.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Sorry what I was looking for was info about viral vector vaccine “being associated with clotting in other settings”, to the best of my knowledge this type of vaccine has been used extensively and I am not aware of these problems being reported and reviewed in any journal. From my understanding this type of vaccine has a very good safety record.

Not sure it had VW.  There was an ebola vaccine built in a similar way but this is the first time the technology has been put into the field in numbers.

Not sure viral vectors have been put to mass use in any human setting to be honest

16 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes I agree, I think the point about aspirin is that we use lots of medication with side effects all the time without thinking about it.

But yes it does look like the blood clots may well be a genuine issue with younger women and certainly enough to make it worth giving them other vaccines at the moment.

Yes but we know the side effects before we take aspirin. It’s taken five months of administering hundreds or thousands of jabs a day in the UK alone for us to really get any suggestion that there might be a link with blood clots with the AZ vaccine. What else might we find in three months? Caution definitely the better option.

Yes BB but people are notoriously bad at assessing personal risk especially ones that can't be easily seen. I have no worries about AZ or any of them but I do 'get' the slight concern of willingly rolling the dice and hope you're not the 1 in a million or whatever as opposed to pretending ostrich like you can avoid the virus when of course in reality you can't but even then it might not get you for another 6 months.

The comparator for the 1 in a million stat would be death after catching covid, not just the risk of catching it in 6 months. 

But anyway, I’d argue that people actually are assessing the risk in this case and are slightly concerned that, in some age groups, the risk of dying might possibly (we don’t know yet) be higher if you have the AZ vaccine. 

Some reports suggest risk of death from blood clots in women under 30 is 1 in 750k. And we haven’t vaccinated many healthy women under 30, so it could transpire to be higher when we have better data. I posted some figures yesterday re risk of death from covid in that age group - some guesswork on my behalf there, but not unbelievable figures and I didn’t factor in seasonality (so risk even lower for half a year), or that millions are already vaccinated and presumably that helps reduce transmission to some extent too. I think it’s easy to forget just how low the risk from covid is for healthy young people.

We don’t know, and that’s really the issue at the moment. Given that the risks from covid are minimal in young people, and their being vaccinated is predominantly to help protect other more vulnerable people, far better not to use a vaccine that might be more deadly to those young people than the disease itself until we know otherwise.

6 hours ago, BigFish said:

Not really, or at least not for anyone who has been paying attention. Zero Covid was always about rapid, extreme but highly targeted restrictions. Sridhar has been consistent, way back to the time where the government was toying with herd immunity

Pretty much how Smallpox was eradicated

I get that but how is what US are doing in any way this? What should UK do from here then?

I posted a question a month or so ago about ivermectin. As I said at the time, I know nothing about this but have seen plenty of discussion on the net over it. It seems the evidence on its effectiveness is gathering momentum.

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone going to bother getting two lateral flow tests a week? No chance

Is it because we have too many or a genuine attempt at control?  Neither, it's a another meaningless and expensive gesture that the government hopes will generate a few good headlines for them.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone going to bother getting two lateral flow tests a week?

Is it because we have too many or a genuine attempt at control?

I got a few when they were surge testing in my area.  It's not pleasant but really easy to use. 

If you are thinking of mixing or going back to work etc it seems a no brainer to me. It is not infallible so perhaps best to think of it as a last check before doing what you are already largely committed to doing.

Hopefully though we'll have such low levels  soon that there really isn't much point in doing this!

Edited by Barbe bleu

I too JF asked a question about Ivermectin which for many months has been championed by leading scientists as a tried and tested, proven and cheap preventative and cure for Covid. You don't have to search the Internet very far to find all sorts of possible conspiracies as why the world might be hell bent on spending billions of pounds and dollars developing new products when Ivermectin is already here.

• Like 1

44 million doses given yesterday, our friends or enemies for some in the EU were a few thousand short of 2 million, so should crack it tomorrow.

And a stat for you, the wealthiest 27 countries in the world have 39.3 % of the vaccinations, but 11.1 % of the worlds population.

Another big one is with the help of Johnson and Johnson the US now has 68.2 million fully vaccinated.

The current average number of jabs given each day has now risen to 17.1 million, and obviously increasing every day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I got a few when they were surge testing in my area.  It's not pleasant but really easy to use. 

If you are thinking of mixing or going back to work etc it seems a no brainer to me. It is not infallible so perhaps best to think of it as a last check before doing what you are already largely committed to doing.

Hopefully though we'll have such low levels  soon that there really isn't much point in doing this!

what counts as low levels? We're pretty low now but I get we need it lower.

Nevertheless my town of 161k people has been single figure daily cases for over a week now with a couple of zero days thrown in. Problem is its surrounded by some of the highest prevelance areas in the country.

My wife does the tests for work since she is with vulnerable kids all day and has been doing them twice a week since Jan. Just seems like another expensive thing that probably won't actually hit the root of the problem but what do I know... This whole thing is a complete cluster **** and the "experts" on both sides of the spectrum have no better idea than your average bloke down the boozer it seems.

11 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

I too JF asked a question about Ivermectin which for many months has been championed by leading scientists as a tried and tested, proven and cheap preventative and cure for Covid. You don't have to search the Internet very far to find all sorts of possible conspiracies as why the world might be hell bent on spending billions of pounds and dollars developing new products when Ivermectin is already here.

It’s very concerning that they are turning a blind eye to a treatment that appears to work and is cheap. 

Edited by JF

13 hours ago, Well b back said:

44 million doses given yesterday, our friends or enemies for some in the EU were a few thousand short of 2 million, so should crack it tomorrow.

And a stat for you, the wealthiest 27 countries in the world have 39.3 % of the vaccinations, but 11.1 % of the worlds population.

Another big one is with the help of Johnson and Johnson the US now has 68.2 million fully vaccinated.

The current average number of jabs given each day has now risen to 17.1 million, and obviously increasing every day.

It's really great news to see that vaccine rollout is beginning to ramp up in countries beyond the vanguard and we all hope that this continues. I wouldn't be too alarmed that the wealthiest 27 countries have 39.3% of the vaccine because these were the countries that supplied the initial investment and human resources to develop the vaccine. Thank goodness we had countries wealthy enough to do this. It was the same countries who supplied  investment and resources for research into ebola and maleria eradication, even though those countries were not greatly affected by those diseases, so we should recognise the altruistic programs carried out by the wealthier countries. 

And perhaps the not so wealthy countries could do a bit of googling on the subject of Ivermectin if there is a cheap and readily available solution. 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm driving up to Norfolk to suck it out of your arm.🤬😀

It’s a bit red and swollen

19 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I already have them at home, supplied by my company. Am asked (though no evidence is required) to test regularly. Also temperature checked on the way in to work. I only do part-time now so isn't much of a problem to me to do them. Makes me feel more comfortable anyway.

19 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

“Tried and tested” would mean there are actual results of clinical trials , can you point us to them?

the EMA view is that clinical trials are now needed.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-advises-against-use-ivermectin-prevention-treatment-covid-19-outside-randomised-clinical-trials

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What? Norfolk?😁

Disappearing into the sea, bits dropping off all over the place😁