Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

50 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Either will be unenforceable. Pubs can either open to all (with social distancing) or they can not.

Difficult to enforce no doubt, and potentially hugely devisive.

47 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Either will be unenforceable. Pubs can either open to all (with social distancing) or they can not.

completely ludicrous idea. Tests cost money which people don't have and not everyone has even had a chance at a jab yet.

Gonna be great come may when I can go to the pub but none of my mates can apart from those in the NHS and those lucky to get their jab already...

Just keep to the restrictions we had last summer until June 21st at which point it has to be advisory things only and we learn to live with the virus.

I'll still wash my hands as I always did and be careful around old and vulnerable people and I'll be more conscious to stay home when ill.

Continuing to enforce social distancing and mask wearing isn't "learning to live with" the virus.

When the rules on household gatherings are lifted, are people really going to be okay with some half baked pub visit where they are monitored and being made to follow strict rules?

We have vaccines that are incredibly effective now even against the variants and they can be quickly adapted so once everyone has had their chance at one (perhaps even before) it's time to get back to normal.

I dispise how "just social distance and wear masks forever" is thrown around like it's nothing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Idea of a Pub Passport seems a bit daft to me. Those more likely to frequent pubs and bars and with more disposable income are likely to be those who haven't been vaccinated.

That's a massive assumption and probably wrong imo.   Retired people who are the demographic that will have received the vaccine tend to have grown-up families,  be mortgage free, and have state and work pensions plus other investments, potentially also equity release funding or downsized funding, all adding up to a healthy disposable income.  In addition, they have not been spending much due to incessant lockdown restrictions, and will also have the extra time to spend in pubs as they are not tied to jobs.   -

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Difficult to enforce no doubt, and potentially hugely devisive.

We were always told that Brexiteers are the older generation, so it may not be so devisive if it keeps remoaners out of the bars. 🤣

On 24/03/2021 at 15:26, Van wink said:

I’m afraid we are seeing misinformation spreading on a grand scale here and level heads need to prevail. AZ is selling this stuff on a not for profit basis, most other  big Pharma are rubbing their hands together anticipating their profits on the back of the pandemic, yet AZ is getting all the flack, it’s absurd.

What a sad state of affairs, not surprising AZ are getting a bit fed up:
“EU attacks on AstraZeneca may prompt it to raise prices and abandon its decision not to profit from its coronavirus vaccine, according to a leading member of the team of scientists that delivered the breakthrough.
Sir John Bell, the Oxford University professor who helped mastermind the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine, warned that the company's morale is being damaged by unwarranted criticism of its safety and efficacy. 
He said AstraZeneca had "never had credit" for its early decision not to profit from the vaccine and that repeated attacks from the EU and figures including Emmanuel Macron have called it into question.
Sir John said: "There's a point at which AstraZeneca could just say, 'you've got to be joking, we're going to stop [charging cost price] now because we're not getting any credit for what we're doing.”

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, paul moy said:

We were always told that Brexiteers are the older generation, so it may not be so devisive if it keeps remoaners out of the bars. 🤣

The younger Remainiacs will be too busy in colleges doing slam poetry and/or attending fat pride rallies to be in the pubski 😄

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

What a sad state of affairs, not surprising AZ are getting a bit fed up:
“EU attacks on AstraZeneca may prompt it to raise prices and abandon its decision not to profit from its coronavirus vaccine, according to a leading member of the team of scientists that delivered the breakthrough.
Sir John Bell, the Oxford University professor who helped mastermind the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine, warned that the company's morale is being damaged by unwarranted criticism of its safety and efficacy. 
He said AstraZeneca had "never had credit" for its early decision not to profit from the vaccine and that repeated attacks from the EU and figures including Emmanuel Macron have called it into question.
Sir John said: "There's a point at which AstraZeneca could just say, 'you've got to be joking, we're going to stop [charging cost price] now because we're not getting any credit for what we're doing.”

It's a fair point.  Although the cost of dealing with the EU for AZ will clearly have gone through the roof so you'd suspect they'll be able to justify a hefty price increase going forward while still doing it on a non-profit basis !

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not a surprise considering.

image.png.c978e6ba24856133621c0cdb214f3e4f.png

Not surprising really.

Also I seem to remember they were targeting the Novavax plant in the North East coming on-stream for the UK during April, anyone seen any updates ?

18 hours ago, kick it off said:

I get what you're saying, but how the hell are teachers supposed to cater for those in school, and those out of school simultaneously? It's pretty much impossible. I can do a decent job of teaching kids in school. I can do a decent job of teaching kids online. They require entirely different lessons and totally different logistics to teach the same content. I do not have enough hours in the day to do a decent job of both. In practice it means I have to prioritise those in school, so those who are isolating are not getting anywhere near the same quality of teaching as those in school, nor anything like the same quality as if I was preparing online lessons for all..... Not all schools are being hit equally by this - I already stated we have 10% of the school out, which by default means that 4 other schools must have close to 0% out to balance out at an average of 2%.

Twice this week I've had a member of pastoral staff come into the classroom and read a list of names - any names on the list have to get their stuff and exit the lesson immediately and go home to isolate. Today one of my classes was meant to have 19 kids in it. I had 4 of them. The other 15 were at home isolating. 

The point isn't that it's 2% now. Think we all agree 2% is acceptable collateral in the circumstances.... The point is that it was 1% a week ago. Should it keep doubling every week, then pretty soon we'll be in utter carnage territory.... The Easter holidays might provide some kind of a firebreak for that but I'm not convinced that schools will make it through this school year without having to shut en masse again if the rate of transmission continues at this level. 

On the plus side on a personal note, I have only got to make it through 6 more school days without catching it and me and my family will be pretty much safe for now - baby is likely to be born over Easter so if I can make it through to then without catching it, then we should be home and dry in terms of the increased risk during pregnancy etc.

The breakdown of the numbers is below. Roughly 75% of those isolating due to potential contact, have had that potential contact in school.

image.png.dc51b6469e709dedff3ed3ea034d52b3.png

Positives nationally creeping up, over 6000 today

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

Surely they won't be allowed in your Club, what what?

Fascinating - 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/25/eu-leaders-told-bloc-has-sent-21m-covid-vaccine-doses-to-the-uk

Of the 31M doses given here 21M come from Europe (including 1M AZ).

And the worrying bit - 

Meanwhile, the EU’s internal market commissioner, Thierry Breton, is understood to have advised EU ambassadors that the UK’s interest in the jabs in the Netherlands is particularly acute as the government had not stockpiled vaccine for second doses, leaving them in need of production from Europe to fully vaccinate those administered with a first jab.

Edited by Yellow Fever

We were always going to see an increase as schools opened, now we have to decide is this school related or are we seeing the begining of the wave thats spreading across Europe.

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We were always going to see an increase as schools opened, now we have to decide is this school related or are we seeing the begining of the wave thats spreading across Europe.

We have already had ours in January.

This is just the new variants sweeping Europe. France has just cruised past us on number of infections and all of Europe now getting a real gallop on.

Strange that they saw what was happening here and didn't take appropriate action.

Who would have guessed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We have already had ours in January.

This is just the new variants sweeping Europe. France has just cruised past us on number of infections and all of Europe now getting a real gallop on.

Strange that they saw what was happening here and didn't take appropriate action.

Who would have guessed.

I believe you are right and on this wave we had it first, we need to be absolutely sure though. 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Been getting numerous false positives for months in my homes -- Mainly staff.

14 minutes ago, Jools said:

Been getting numerous false positives for months in my homes -- Mainly staff.

How many residents did you lose during the pandemic 

39 minutes ago, Jools said:

Been getting numerous false positives for months.

That just about sums up Brexit!

Great to see the key figures coming down, hospitalisation and deaths! We’re testing a larger part of the population so I’d expect a rise in the odd week. Still looks like the vaccine effect is really taking hold given that schools have been back three weeks now!

Edited by Indy

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Fascinating - 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/25/eu-leaders-told-bloc-has-sent-21m-covid-vaccine-doses-to-the-uk

Of the 31M doses given here 21M come from Europe (including 1M AZ).

Given the same paper was reporting a figure of 9 million doses exported to the UK as of 9 march we can conclude either that this is all a load of nonsense or that we have built up a massive stockpile for second doses over the last fortnight 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/britain-has-no-ban-on-covid-vaccine-exports-eu-concedes

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

There was over 6000 cases last Thursday to VW, and that day saw  the smallest  7 day rolling decreae in weeks of just 1.2%, i had expected the first increase the next day, but strangely that was saved a lower than normal Friday  daily of just 4800. The decrease  today is again  just at 2% so if tomorrows cases are above 6000 again then itll be the first increase in quite a long time.

Even so, 6000 daily  new cases  has to weighed up against the daily testings of over 1.8 million so new infections are now truly a very  small percentage indeed.

4 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

There was over 6000 cases last Thursday to VW, and that day saw  the smallest  7 day rolling decreae in weeks of just 1.2%, i had expected the first increase the next day, but strangely that was saved a lower than normal Friday  daily of just 4800. The decrease  today is again  just at 2% so if tomorrows cases are above 6000 again then itll be the first increase in quite a long time.

Even so, 6000 daily  new cases  has to weighed up against the daily testings of over 1.8 million so new infections are now truly a very  small percentage indeed.

Absolutely EJ and thanks,  guess I’m just a bit twitchy watching what’s going on across the channel, we need to be super vigilant 👍

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Fortunately schools are about to close for Easter next week, I think most are getting a 2-week break.  So time to evaluate how it has gone so far.

And there is the conundrum. Easter weekend. How many will look at the low death rate, say increased cases are testing and visit family and friends?