Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

23 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Scandalous behaviour from the EU

F329E499-75DC-4622-8C57-F4DA1A6AE7F8.jpeg

This is surely a German problem not an EU one Buh.

Does you no credit to confuse simpletons.

Infection numbers shooting up in Europe. France, Germany and Italy recorded highest numbers yesterday for some weeks.

Merkel and Macron will regret fanning the flames of vaccine hesitancy.

Edited by ricardo

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Infection numbers shooting up in Europe. France, Germany and Italy recorded highest numbers yesterday for some weeks.

Absolutely, the whole thing has been managed appallingly, and the comments by the likes of Macron really are beyond belief.

39 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is surely a German problem not an EU one Buh.

Does you no credit to confuse simpletons.

Vaccine issue is an EU one not specifically German. Although they are all doing unique things as member states to **** it up

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Vaccine issue is an EU one not specifically German. Although they are all doing unique things as member states to **** it up

image.png.3bf5c565dccecf47a7329a7bd63a984e.png

Two truths.

They are making a mess of the vaccine supply. It's not good.

We have ****ed up everything bar the vaccine. It's not good.

• Haha 1

Just now, Herman said:

Two truths.

Nobody’s done a perfect job, never claimed we or anyone else had.

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Two truths.

I saw this on the other thread too Herman, believe me - I know our Government have f***ed up so much but I really do find it hard to believe we are that much worse than France. They seem to have got at least as much wrong as us but amazingly are coping even better than Germany over the last few weeks...............and I am prone to believing German statistics  🙂

1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

I saw this on the other thread too Herman, believe me - I know our Government have f***ed up so much but I really do find it hard to believe we are that much worse than France. They seem to have got at least as much wrong as us but amazingly are coping even better than Germany over the last few weeks...............and I am prone to believing German statistics  🙂

I think it has always been said wait till the end before making judgements, we have made huge mistakes and so have others, 

19 hours ago, kick it off said:

Surprised this one hasn't made it in here yet - brilliant news, particularly for the developing world and poorer countries. Johnson and Johnson vaccine is safe and effective - 500million units were ordered as part of the Covax project. Cheap and only needs standard refrigeration. Effective against the variants. Sounds like it's not great at stopping moderate symptoms but if it stops hospitalisation and death then it does everything it needs to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56186965

Also for those following my rage earlier in the week - Firstly, thank you for the support - when teachers are getting a kicking every day in the press, it's reassuring to know not everybody is against us!! The rage has subsided now. I am still bloody angry because this is all so stupid, pointless and avoidable but I have accepted it for what it is. SAGE say 50-70% increase in R-rate and tens of thousands of deaths if schools reopen in the big bang rather than staggered opening. Literally state sponsored murder.

I decided if the government won't protect me, then I will have to protect myself so have just spent £100 of my own money on a HEPA air purification system for my classroom. Outrageous that I have to spend sums like that to be safe at work but I was left with little alternative. It's about the best I can do to protect myself in current circumstances. Catches 99.97% of particulate matter including Covid - should entirely cleanse the air in my classroom 5 x per hour. It's essentially the same air filtration systems they run in hospital operating theatres. Between that and having every window open all day every day (regardless of temperature! sorry kids!) I feel like I should be reasonably protected.

I still think it should be a staggered return and mandatory testing of kids before they step in a classroom (current guidance is voluntary testing, if they refuse they can come in regardless which is wrong in my opinion - they have right to refuse but no test, then stay at home and carry on online would be my solution). I do however feel like with the air filtration, the level of risk is now at an acceptable threshold. Shame that our government are too incompetent and feckless to put it in themselves (USA are putting them in at Biden's behest) but what can you do.

I'm not sure why you think that KIO........... the vast majority of people I know fully back teachers. Not just in these strange times but also when things were "normal". Of course there are the odd bad eggs......... but that is true of every profession, the overwhelming thing that I have come across is that teachers are generally very well supported by the public.  

1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

I actually think its a pretty confused picture with the various variants.

Yes we messed up badly in December and the Christmas relaxation with the UK variant making hay - in effect let it rip.  Our recent hard lockdown has clearly won out and the vaccines will hopefully see it get to really low levels possibly with a bump or two in the road.

In Germany and France - the UK variant was less prevalent and they managed to keep it at bay for longer - Germany certainly and as per us now they are getting the vaccines out.  

I think we'll all have to see what happens next!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

I'm not sure why you think that KIO........... the vast majority of people I know fully back teachers. Not just in these strange times but also when things were "normal". Of course there are the odd bad eggs......... but that is true of every profession, the overwhelming thing that I have come across is that teachers are generally very well supported by the public.  

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

Most of us support teachers and the work they do, we have all been to school and most have sent our kids through the state system, it does though give us all an “expert” opinion based on our own experience, some of which may have been in a different time zone.

What I will tell you is I have huge admiration for teachers, I was vice chair of governors at our local “ middle school” as it was then and also a governor at our local high school. I had the “privelage” of sitting in on a few French lessons at our High school and to be honest was shocked at the behaviour of the pupils. I don’t know what has happened with society but at my school when I was a kid some of the behaviours I witnessed would have been met with a close encounter with a flexible cane.  Makes me sound really old, but it’s not that long ago really. Anyway society has to account for the way society behaves but as for the role of teachers I applaud you in a very challenging environment.👍

• Like 2

I still can’t get my head round not getting teachers vaccinated before the 8th!

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

it's basically just the new working class populist movement that have this ignorant attitude. No surprises there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Looks like Mrs Merkel has been asked if she would take the AZ vaccine but has said she would refuse, what a mess, I guess the press were pushing her on this to get a headline but its not a good look in a country becoming more sceptical about the AZ vaccine.

Of course she is 66 and in Germany the vaccine has been authorised only for under 65 year olds, sadly it just gets worse, wish they would stop digging, lots of AZ vaccine availabe in Germany and not being used.

Edited by Van wink

22 hours ago, kick it off said:

Surprised this one hasn't made it in here yet - brilliant news, particularly for the developing world and poorer countries. Johnson and Johnson vaccine is safe and effective - 500million units were ordered as part of the Covax project. Cheap and only needs standard refrigeration. Effective against the variants. Sounds like it's not great at stopping moderate symptoms but if it stops hospitalisation and death then it does everything it needs to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56186965

Also for those following my rage earlier in the week - Firstly, thank you for the support - when teachers are getting a kicking every day in the press, it's reassuring to know not everybody is against us!! The rage has subsided now. I am still bloody angry because this is all so stupid, pointless and avoidable but I have accepted it for what it is. SAGE say 50-70% increase in R-rate and tens of thousands of deaths if schools reopen in the big bang rather than staggered opening. Literally state sponsored murder.

I decided if the government won't protect me, then I will have to protect myself so have just spent £100 of my own money on a HEPA air purification system for my classroom. Outrageous that I have to spend sums like that to be safe at work but I was left with little alternative. It's about the best I can do to protect myself in current circumstances. Catches 99.97% of particulate matter including Covid - should entirely cleanse the air in my classroom 5 x per hour. It's essentially the same air filtration systems they run in hospital operating theatres. Between that and having every window open all day every day (regardless of temperature! sorry kids!) I feel like I should be reasonably protected.

I still think it should be a staggered return and mandatory testing of kids before they step in a classroom (current guidance is voluntary testing, if they refuse they can come in regardless which is wrong in my opinion - they have right to refuse but no test, then stay at home and carry on online would be my solution). I do however feel like with the air filtration, the level of risk is now at an acceptable threshold. Shame that our government are too incompetent and feckless to put it in themselves (USA are putting them in at Biden's behest) but what can you do.

KIO, have you thought about doing a gofundme page for your filter? I''m sure the good folk of the Pinkun would chip in for you

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Looks like Mrs Merkel has been asked if she would take the AZ vaccine but has said she would refuse, what a mess, I guess the press were pushing her on this to get a headline but its not a good look in a country becoming more sceptical about the AZ vaccine.

Of course she is 66 and in Germany the vaccine has been authorised only for under 65 year olds, sadly it just gets worse, wish they would stop digging, lots of AZ vaccine availabe in Germany and not being used.

send it over here and we can start the 24 hour centres 😀

10 hours ago, kick it off said:

You can read  ???  😂

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

KIO, have you thought about doing a gofundme page for your filter? I''m sure the good folk of the Pinkun would chip in for you

Thanks RTB, but not my style - There's plenty of more worthy and deserving causes out there.

Things not looking good in France atm

"Nice was put under a two-weekend lockdown last week and Dunkirk will require all-day confinement for two weekends from today.

After two weeks of a slight but sustained fall in infections, cases are rising again nationally. On Wednesday there were 31,519 new cases, the highest daily figure since mid-November just before a month-long second lockdown was imposed. “We have erased in one week the two weeks of consecutive drops,” Olivier Véran, the health minister, said on a visit to Dunkirk. “The situation is deteriorating.”

Just had my jab, Pfizer for me! 👍

There were loads in the 50 category and a few younger I’d imagine with conditions, but certainly all ages being vaccinated in the centre here at Kirkley. 
Really well organised and a big thank you from me for all those involved.

• Like 7

More good news on Pfizer

"A single dose of the Pfizer vaccine appears to cut the risk of covid transmission by three quarters, research by Cambridge University suggests. 

Scientists said the findings were “dramatic” and showed that vaccines offered a way out of lockdown and “a much brighter future”.

The study involved almost 9,000 hospital workers who were screened for coronavirus in January, meaning that cases could be detected whether or not symptoms were showing.

It found that 0.8 per cent of tests from unvaccinated workers were positive, compared with just 0.2 per cent of those who had been vaccinated at least 12 days before. A similar reduction was seen among those with symptoms of the virus, when those given the jab were compared with those who had yet to receive it. 

But the impact shown on asymptomatic cases is particularly significant, because it suggests the vaccines are blocking transmission of the virus."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

There were loads in the 50 category and a few younger I’d imagine with conditions, but certainly all ages being vaccinated in the centre here at Kirkley. 

Good on you. Us 40 somethings are up next. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Me too Indy. AZ for me. Very professional, lots of people volunteering at a special hub. Nurses clearly very happy and in good spirits because they know they are making a difference. Lots of thank you's echoed through the rooms.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

More good news on Pfizer

"A single dose of the Pfizer vaccine appears to cut the risk of covid transmission by three quarters, research by Cambridge University suggests. 

Scientists said the findings were “dramatic” and showed that vaccines offered a way out of lockdown and “a much brighter future”.

The study involved almost 9,000 hospital workers who were screened for coronavirus in January, meaning that cases could be detected whether or not symptoms were showing.

It found that 0.8 per cent of tests from unvaccinated workers were positive, compared with just 0.2 per cent of those who had been vaccinated at least 12 days before. A similar reduction was seen among those with symptoms of the virus, when those given the jab were compared with those who had yet to receive it. 

But the impact shown on asymptomatic cases is particularly significant, because it suggests the vaccines are blocking transmission of the virus."

It’s all looking very positive, with the science behind any new variant now confident of tweaking any vaccines, it certainly is superb future. Just hope that governments around the world now stick by and help other nations with vaccinations.

Wouldn’t it be nice for this pandemic to show the world how small this globe actually is and we need to work together in the same manner on other massive issues facing us in the near future!