Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Just now, paul moy said:

As you well know at the time many were against the idea and many still are so the government has been biding its time in order to go with the majority public opinion at the right time.  Political commonsense imo.     

Your nose is growing again.

Up until 5 days ago the government were denying this would ever happen. Common sense yep, the pink un posters started campaigning for it in September.

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

There's four in the upper Barclay. How many more do you want?😉

Lol

2 minutes at half time queuing for the urinal, 20 minutes for the wash basin to wash your hands.

Edited by Well b back

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lol

2 minutes at half time queuing for the urinal, 20 minutes for the sink.

Wash hand basin please😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Your nose is growing again.

Up until 5 days ago the government were denying this would ever happen. Common sense yep, the pink un posters started campaigning for it in September.

Well, I've been for it as I am a world traveller and it makes sense in order to get the world economies going again, but it is not just the UK's decision.   The fact that Sweden and Denmark are developing a system meant that others would follow,  and so the UK will.

It is also to our benefit politically as the UK will be seen to be leading the way yet again out of this crisis,  just as it has done on vaccine investment, development and rollout.  Our vaccinated people will be some of the first to start the revival of tourism in countries which have suffered disproportionately during the crisis due to their heavy reliance on tourism to raise them out of poverty.

Edited by paul moy

Once they get instant testing/results right then mass gatherings for sporting events will happen.

At the moment instant testing has its obvious uses, but is rather  hit and miss.

It will come.

Why?

Because they are working on it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

most of us already have a passport, why be complicated and design, pay for the design and wait for printing another document, when all it takes to design and cut a stamp, to be delivered to every vaccination center so they stamp your passport after completion of the second part of the vaccination?

why be bureaucratic and wastefully expensive when you can utilise whats already in existence?

6 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

why be bureaucratic and wastefully expensive when you can utilise whats already in existence?

Because that's what Bureaucrats do.😀😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

Well, I've been for it as I am a world traveller and it makes sense in order to get the world economies going

And travel broadens the mind.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And travel broadens the mind.

Well, I've been for it as I am a world traveller

Unless you go into space you can't be anything but a world traveller.

As you well know at the time many were against the idea and many still are so the government has been biding its time in order to go with the majority public opinion at the right time.  Political commonsense imo.     

😂🤣😂 I assume you really are joking.

Mind you it would explain a lot, especially the total absence of any leadership from the idiot Johnson - so in your opinion our dithering, stupid and incompetent Prime Minister has never been following  the scientific advice, or the advice of other experts or even plain common sense, he has just been waiting for public opinion to tell him when to take action!

Well for once in your life I think you might have called it right - well done! 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Unless you go into space you can't be anything but a world traveller.

Would that make him a Space Cadet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

They will need some more sinks in the toilets in football grounds that’s for certain lol.

You think you’re getting a sink ?

886AE720-A15E-4A66-95CF-BDE94AB72AE0.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You think you’re getting a sink ?

886AE720-A15E-4A66-95CF-BDE94AB72AE0.jpeg

Portaloo? Binners state of the art ground!

Edited by Indy

I've nothing against a vaccine passport (or indeed a yellow fever one)  - its just that I don't think this is going to get you anywhere - or if you do a 10 day quarantine at your expense on the way back - until the prevalence here is very low and equally where you intend to go to. Nobody wants typhoid Mary's.

I also think for purely political reasons we can't allow us oldies to travel but not the youngsters unless they too can get vaccinated for free virtually 'on demand' as well. Else terrible terrible political optics.

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

most of us already have a passport, why be complicated and design, pay for the design and wait for printing another document, when all it takes to design and cut a stamp, to be delivered to every vaccination center so they stamp your passport after completion of the second part of the vaccination?

It's not a document but an APP

41 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I've nothing against a vaccine passport (or indeed a yellow fever one)  - its just that I don't think this is going to get you anywhere - or if you do a 10 day quarantine at your expense on the way back - until the prevalence here is very low and equally where you intend to go to. Nobody wants typhoid Mary's.

I also think for purely political reasons we can't allow us oldies to travel but not the youngsters unless they too can get vaccinated for free virtually 'on demand' as well. Else terrible terrible political optics.

We have to start somewhere and at the outset the more mature and responsible oldies will have had the necessary vaccinations and will be welcomed abroad.   😎    Others will get their jabs and possible access to international travel in due course....  

We have to start somewhere and at the outset the more mature and responsible oldies will have had the necessary vaccinations and will be welcomed abroad.   😎    Others will get their jabs and possible access to international travel in due course....  

no scientific reason to prioritise 'oldies' anymore. To call them mature, like in cheese, might be right, but responsibility is taking it a little far. Choosing the older voters, more likely to vote for the Tories, still so it seems, is their real reason for this pathetic move.

Since last September when the Kent variant started sweeping the world, all ages are affected by this virus, so why should 'oldies' be prioritised.

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

So glad the government have finally relented and admitted we won’t be the only country in the world not to have a passport.

If you remember TJ we were saying this should happen way back in September when we realised others were doing it. They should have listened to the pink un posters again would have saved a lot of time.

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Good. Its already been a thing anyway. I had to prove I'd had the yellow fever jab before being allowed into Bolivia. (sure it's a bit more significant now though).

Thing is if you need a jab to go to Bolivia, you book in and get one. You need to get a covid vaccine and they’re only being given to over 60s. 

Of course you’re going to basically need one anyway because it’s more about the country at the other end than us anyway. But as I’ve said before, as soon as elderly people start going off on holiday when youngsters can’t get a vaccine then that’s the end of social distancing. And next time youngsters are asked to do anything to protect the elderly, I’m guessing they won’t pay much attention.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Thing is if you need a jab to go to Bolivia, you book in and get one. You need to get a covid vaccine and they’re only being given to over 60s. 

Of course you’re going to basically need one anyway because it’s more about the country at the other end than us anyway. But as I’ve said before, as soon as elderly people start going off on holiday when youngsters can’t get a vaccine then that’s the end of social distancing. And next time youngsters are asked to do anything to protect the elderly, I’m guessing they won’t pay much attention.

Totally agree Aggy and this is why it won't happen this way.

8 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Hi Aggy

Dont take that as I agreed with it being used soon, just that they finally stopped denying there would be one. It would be crazy to open our borders or allow travel anytime soon, we could just finish up back to square one.

6 hours ago, Aggy said:

I doubt there'll be much tourism abroad until summer anyway at which point everyone will be going for vaccination.

Honestly think most social distancing measures will go before tourism anyway. Hospitalisation rates will be vanishingly small on current logic by summer time.

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I doubt there'll be much tourism abroad until summer anyway at which point everyone will be going for vaccination.

Honestly think most social distancing measures will go before tourism anyway. Hospitalisation rates will be vanishingly small on current logic by summer time.

Agree won’t be much until summer but I’m not convinced about the general availability of this vaccine. 2.5 months since we started and apparently 15m most vulnerable will have had at least one dose by tomorrow. We still need to give many of those a second jab. Then we’ll work our way down the tiers. By the time we get down to the least vulnerable, it’s going to be at least six months since the most vulnerable had their jabs and we’ll need to be doing them again.

And what about kids?

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Agree won’t be much until summer but I’m not convinced about the general availability of this vaccine. 2.5 months since we started and apparently 15m most vulnerable will have had at least one dose by tomorrow. We still need to give many of those a second jab. Then we’ll work our way down the tiers. By the time we get down to the least vulnerable, it’s going to be at least six months since the most vulnerable had their jabs and we’ll need to be doing them again.

And what about kids?

it clearly depends on supply. Us younger, more mobile lot will be quicker through the process and we'll soon have even more vaccines available to us. We do have the 2nd doses to start up next month though so we could do with a real jump in available capacity.

Kids have a vaccine being trialled for use from autumn I believe

44 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

it clearly depends on supply. Us younger, more mobile lot will be quicker through the process and we'll soon have even more vaccines available to us. We do have the 2nd doses to start up next month though so we could do with a real jump in available capacity.

Kids have a vaccine being trialled for use from autumn I believe

Supply being the issue yes and also then how it is made more widely available in the future - I couldn’t get a flu jab currently if I tried. We’ve heard we will get used to living with covid and it will become like the flu in terms of how we deal with it - will it be guaranteed 25 year olds can get a covid jab on a couple of months’ notice so they can go away in winter in the future, for instance?

And if we don’t get a jab for kids that’s safe anytime soon that’s c.12m kids, plus presumably around the same number of parents (assuming some kids will have siblings?). That’s a third of the UK population being limited, the vast majority of whom would have little more than the equivalent of a bout of flu but who have had a year of being forced out of jobs, out of education, to protect other people who possibly can go abroad/do things that they still can’t..

It is what it is, but it risks creating divides imo if not handled carefully.

Edited by Aggy

Caution on opening up please.

Clear targets to be achieved as go/nogo gates for each step of any relaxation.

Schools  - if it is March 8 then wait a month / 6 weeks. Are the numbers still falling? If not then pause until they are , else can proceed to next step.

Non-essential retail - meeting the park etc - same as above - relax, wait and see for a month.

Finally pubs (and restaurants outdoors)

Lastly - near normality.

Step by step and a cautious approach - else I fear we will soon repeat our experiences as before. Lemmings.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Schools  - if it is March 8 then wait a month / 6 weeks. Are the numbers still falling? If not then pause until they are , else can proceed to next step.

Non-essential retail - meeting the park etc - same as above - relax, wait and see for a month.

Lastly - near normality.

Step by step and a cautious approach - else I fear we will soon repeat our experiences as before. Lemmings.

Obviously has do be cautious, planned and phased referencing the effect on infection rates and hospitalisations. The most important message, and the most difficult it seems for this government, it to instil the need for continued vigilance in the population as we move forward with any form of release.

Edited by Van wink

What we really need is data on vaccine efficacy in the field.  If it is really at rhw high end of predictions i suspect that we will have a very quick opening up from mid/late march.

By this point we'll hopefully have addressed more than 90% of serious disease and we will be bearing down on spread; seasonality will start being our friend, vaccines will be quite deep into the spreader groups and in some places natural immunity will be high.

At this stage there could even be an advantage in swift spread of variants we know we can deal with.

I wouldnt book a foreign holiday aaor buy ryan air shares though.  With variants being the absolute critical factor and a need to rebuild domestically this will/should be  heavily restricted.

Edited by Barbe bleu

37 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Lastly - near normality.

This.

Too many noises coming from the usual suspects trying to hurry up unlocking. It would be unforgivable to rush back to normality which could potentially lead us back to square one. None of us like being locked down and we all want this to be the last one so we should time it right and not just to appease some noisy back benchers.

• Like 1