Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Hope this helps regards the vaccine. Those that follow it may have wondered why the 2 doses are no longer 3 weeks apart but 4 - 12 weeks apart but recommended at 8 - 12 weeks apart. The Serum Institute have just released a statement that says this is how AstraZeneca have got the efficacy from 70 % to 95 %. This is great news from 2 angles 1. Obviously the efficacy is up there with everybody else 2. Because we no longer need to save the second dose as the Serum Institute are manufacturing so much we can now vaccinate at twice the rate ie 2 million and not 1 million a week.

https://www.livemint.com/science/health/efficacy-of-oxford-jabs-at-95-if-given-3-months-apart-sii-11609181643451.html

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

How did Norfolk do?

Cornwall has moved to Tier 3.

West Yorks seemingly remains in tier 3 despite our numbers doubling.

30 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hope this helps regards the vaccine. Those that follow it may have wondered why the 2 doses are no longer 3 weeks apart but 4 - 12 weeks apart but recommended at 8 - 12 weeks apart. The Serum Institute have just released a statement that says this is how AstraZeneca have got the efficacy from 70 % to 95 %. This is great news from 2 angles 1. Obviously the efficacy is up there with everybody else 2. Because we no longer need to save the second dose as the Serum Institute are manufacturing so much we can now vaccinate at twice the rate ie 2 million and not 1 million a week.

https://www.livemint.com/science/health/efficacy-of-oxford-jabs-at-95-if-given-3-months-apart-sii-11609181643451.html

Thats very interesting Wbb, I was wondering what was going on here, cheers👍

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

1244 fatalities in Germany yesterday.☠👎

They did well early on, so many still vulnerable.

Indeed, as i said a day or two ago though, stats tell us things and dont tell us things. Also in the early days if we recall,  in those first 2 or 3 months of the Virus outbreak, much, possibly to much, emphasis was put on the almighty  and awe inspiring German health system and Germany's readiness in being able to control such a virus compared to a place like the UK. Yet at the time, most of Germany's eastern neighbours such as Poland and the smaller former Soviet  colonies also had similar Covid rates to Germany to., but they to, like Germany, have been having a much tougher time these past 2 or 3 months.

Many more factors likely were involved as to why those first few months the virus was mostly worst in a southern and western ring, from Italy thru France and Spain up to the UK, something that time and historians will attempt to figure out no doubt. But for certain, time is proving one definite thing, Covid is no respecter of stats or of  health systems, good or bad, its battle plan is simple,  find humans close together that have not taken enough precautions and move on in.

Our deaths increase dramatically as well

UK records 981 deaths and another 50,023 cases

We'll bring you more from the Commons shortly. But first, we have the daily coronavirus figures.

They show a further 981 people have died in the UK within 28 days of testing positive.

It brings the total number of deaths by this measure to 72,548.

There has also been a further 50,023 lab-confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,432,888.

It is 842 per 100k in my London borough, and it is not the worst by a long way. Bike rides and Tesco deliveries until the vaccine arrives.

Schools - A Prediction.

Secondary schools to return 11th or 18th with mass testing. They will no doubt discover a significant number of asymptomatic cases and have to immediately isolate or close year groups. Durhhh.....

Far better to VACCINATE the secondary school kids as they return as opposed to just test. They are and their education, if I beleive what the government says the priority!

U turn ahead. Fair warning given.

Edited by Yellow Fever

A good chart to show the peaks occurring at different times in different countries, similar to first wave.

Italy, France and Spain starting to decline, UK and Germany peaking.

image.png.d978372edcc2f3c8e96c10748d81bfc0.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Schools - A Prediction.

Secondary schools to return 11th or 18th with mass testing. They will no doubt discover a significant number of asymptomatic cases and have to immediately isolate or close year groups. Durhhh.....

Far better to VACCINATE the secondary school kids as they return as opposed to just test. They are and their education, if I beleive what the government says the priority!

Unfortunately there is no vaccine approved to vaccinate anybody under 18 and won’t be for some time unless there will be something in the human challenge trial, but I can’t see that happening.

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Schools - A Prediction.

Sorry meant to add, however if my calculations are correct anyone wanting the vaccine over 18, would have their first dose by the end of March giving an estimated 70% efficacy two weeks after. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cornwall has moved to Tier 3.

That's because all the pirates have returned to Penzance where the 'aaaarh' rate has gone through the roof.... 🙃

I am not at ease with the vaccine timetable. I bow to the experts but think it is being given to the wrong part of society first.

They talk of not overwhelming the NHS but are doing just that by not vaccinating those who are at work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Unfortunately there is no vaccine approved to vaccinate anybody under 18 and won’t be for some time unless there will be something in the human challenge trial, but I can’t see that happening.

Fair comment but a dreadful oversight. I guess thst because to sign up for a trial you had to be over 18.

However, as with all vaccines a call will have to be on this.... say 15 plus else we will selectively encourage the virus to be even more transmissive in children.

3 minutes ago, Jools said:

That's because all the pirates have returned to Penzance where the 'aaaarh' rate has gone through the roof.... 🙃

Pugwash!!

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am not at ease with the vaccine timetable. I bow to the experts but think it is being given to the wrong part of society first.

They talk of not overwhelming the NHS but are doing just that by not vaccinating those who are at work.

Agree with you there KG. Its the same argument I make about the kids at school! Us oldies may be more vulnerable but having an overwhelmed NHS is no good to us at all !

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

As you say KG, we bow to the experts, but I did listen to a Government scientist explain today that by vaccinating the vulnerable it would help to reduce hospital admissions.

Most of the scientists (and medical people) we have seen in this pandemic speak far more clearly and convincingly than the likes of Johnson, Gove, Patel, Raab, Hancock to name a few

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I tell you what I was absolutely confident until 10 minutes ago of my timetable ie according to what had been said we would have 50 million doses ( including Pfizer ) minus the under 18’s and 1 initial dose needed anybody wanting the vaccine would have their first dose by the end of March. That was based on what we had been told about the doses here and 40 million being here during the period to the end of March.

I pray I have not just misheard him. He threw in in a sentence that deliveries are not going to be coming in great quantities. I hope I misheard or misinterpreted what he said.

10 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Most of the scientists (and medical people) we have seen in this pandemic speak far more clearly and convincingly than the likes of Johnson, Gove, Patel, Raab, Hancock to name a few

Indeed.

He just made out that the 12 weeks were done to allow more vaccinations, unless the Serum Institute have lied it’s because of the efficacy. 
I am more worried however about how many doses we have actually got.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Our deaths increase dramatically as well

UK records 981 deaths and another 50,023 cases

We'll bring you more from the Commons shortly. But first, we have the daily coronavirus figures.

They show a further 981 people have died in the UK within 28 days of testing positive.

It brings the total number of deaths by this measure to 72,548.

There has also been a further 50,023 lab-confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,432,888.

Just wonder if the 981 deaths in UK and 1244 in Germany are a result of xmas catch ups, UK has been averaging around 500 deaths a day and Germany around 600-800 a day for the past week or two. If its not xmas catch up stats then both  nations are really into new territory for deaths, especially Germany, as we did have a few days last April when daily deaths reached over 1k.

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He would make a better PM👩‍🎓

Anyone but Forest Johnson and his gang of incompetents.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

A bad one today all round.

Locally we have moved above average.

image.png.fde122728e6db5a210d5edadba238636.png

Im in same area as you Ricardo. Seems the worst area in Norfolk is Hellesdon South East at 547.1. Highest i have found in England is Chigwell in Essex at 1,716.6 but there may a higher one that, i cant go thru every area. Stats huh, got to love em or hate em.

6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Anyone but Forest Johnson and his gang of incompetents.

I have just heard Sarah Gilbert and Pascal ( AstraZeneca ) speak. Clear and precise they answered all the questions making perfect sense. Why they weren’t in the press conference I have no idea as the info given by Johnson was very misleading.

In one of his many TV appearances today Hancock quite clearly stated that we presently have 500,000 doses available and that another 2,000,000 doses will be delivered in February. Add that to Johnson's blatant refusal to discuss vaccine rollout timescales in his interview with Peston and things might not be quite as rosy as I for one certainly hoped.

Edited by Barry Brockes
Spelling correction

I am hearing that the second Pfizer jab has been put back to allow a bigger gap between dose 1 and dose 2.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am hearing that the second Pfizer jab has been put back to allow a bigger gap between dose 1 and dose 2.

Who would have thought that anyone would listen to Tony Bellair

Edited by Van wink