Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

45 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

29 per 100k in Cornwall. And all the hotels and many holiday homes are fully booked.

Get those pasties in the oven.

Fairly quiet round here. Hospitals nowhere near full but you wouldn't know it from the media.

An encouraging sign.

image.png.524544285f97cf432d51c987e4431327.png

image.thumb.png.d2b20e8b7c7c5e1b0ba09c4a09c5787e.png

Peak day still 2nd Nov with over 31k

image.thumb.png.7499e935d116e7aab9006a3eb1c19c3f.png

A lot of backdating going on. Peak day still Nov 9th 481

Yesterdays European.

Italy         19350 - 785

France    8083 - 466

Spain   8257 - 442

Germany  15898 - 497

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Edited by ricardo

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Get those pasties in the oven.

Fairly quiet round here. Hospitals nowhere near full but you wouldn't know it from the media.

An encouraging sign.

image.png.524544285f97cf432d51c987e4431327.png

Our hospital has tumbleweed rolling down the corridors. Grandson's girlfriend is now doing a health and safety course at home because she isn't needed at the hospital.

We are Tier 1 and Devon is Tier 2.

Its because they put cream first and jam on top on scones. Phillistines.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Our hospital has tumbleweed rolling down the corridors. Grandson's girlfriend is now doing a health and safety course at home because she isn't needed at the hospital.

We are Tier 1 and Devon is Tier 2.

Its because they put cream first and jam on top on scones. Phillistines.

I hear on the grapevine that hospital staff have been warned not to talk about the real situation under threat of dismissal. It's only hearsay but it makes you question the truthfulness of what we are being told in the media.

It looks like hospital patients are down by a third over the last month and ZOE App down by 50%.

image.png.d3bee4b4efcadf4b389f805cb3188cc1.png

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

ZOE app numbers in virtual freefall now.

Then I can also confirm its official 🙂as our rate has dropped (halved overnight c.5100 to about 2600)!

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Then I can also confirm its official 🙂as our rate has dropped (halved overnight c.5100 to about 2600)!

Good news indeed.👍

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I hear on the grapevine that hospital staff have been warned not to talk about the real situation under threat of dismissal. It's only hearsay but it makes you question the truthfulness of what we are being told in the media.

I was in ours a week and a half ago and I asked the staff, how it was with Covid and it was um, agh, well, er, not too bad. Then he shoved the camera firmly and I stopped asking questions.

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

Broadland figures dropping 

image.thumb.png.0a399160d0f49b675a160bc73c933cf7.png

On 02/12/2020 at 02:22, Rock The Boat said:

We have been truly duped. Not just in the UK, but around the globe countries have fallen for the biggest con job in history.

and why would they do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

and why would they do that?

The best one I heard the other day is that Gates and the credit card companies want to turn us into a cashless society?! I'm not sure how people get themselves into this state, and although amusing at the time, it is worrying that it is rife. 

UK is the only country in the world to have approved a covid vaccine.  The FDA in the States and the EMA in the EU have both defended their position in the face of government and media pressure to bypass standard procedures regarding safety and effectiveness, while the UK government has used its emergency powers to do exactly that.

Boris Johnson has a well deserved reputation as a chancer who rides roughshod over detail.  He's the very last person who should be trusted to make a decision like this.  Fingers crossed everyone.

53 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

UK is the only country in the world to have approved a covid vaccine.  The FDA in the States and the EMA in the EU have both defended their position in the face of government and media pressure to bypass standard procedures regarding safety and effectiveness, while the UK government has used its emergency powers to do exactly that.

Boris Johnson has a well deserved reputation as a chancer who rides roughshod over detail.  He's the very last person who should be trusted to make a decision like this.  Fingers crossed everyone.

Does the government have the power to issue its own licence?

If not then are you not accusing the licencing authority, over which the PM has no control, of being incredibly unprofessional. I have no reaon to think this is the case and therefore no reason to doubt the decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

This is something they needed to get the messaging spot on due to mistrust, scepticism and the anti vaxxer movement. Instead they indulged in crass nationalism and brexitty culture war nonsense. They need to sort themselves out or we're in deeper trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Does the government have the power to issue its own licence?

If not then are you not accusing the licencing authority, over which the PM has no control, of being incredibly unprofessional. I have no reaon to think this is the case and therefore no reason to doubt the decision.

Absolutely this

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

Total incorrect and misleading information. When do you think we started to assess Pfizer, Oxford and Moderna ? A few days ago ?. The request in the last few days was for authorisation based on the information submitted daily since June.

I noticed on another thread you put some information about the virus and the vaccine and stated it as fact when unless Dr Who has returned and updated the world nobody could yet know as the virus is not yet old enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

If we were last in the queue you would be moaning that we were too slow off the mark. The truth is that the government acted swiftly by pre ordering vaccines that have been first in development. 

Edited by ricardo

2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

You are completely wrong.  The UK government has used emergency powers to allow the decision on vaccine approval to be made by the UK regulator, the MHRA when it's ready.  This has nothing to do with Brexit as it's happening before we leave.

The MHRA have been working on these vaccines since June, they said yesterday, i.e. they've been reviewing the information as the drugs companies have been working through it.  They've now decided to approve the Pfizer one, but not yet the Astra/Oxford one - that is their role as an independent regulator and I'm happy they've dealt with it quickly.  This is not a decision made by Boris Johnson so he's not the person being trusted to make the decision.

Misinformation like your post on such an important matter is totally out of order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.90ed3bcc22629508a4e944f40902df37.png

A strong decline becoming evident now.

image.thumb.png.d81b339f34a34f6540577b8ee87fc207.png

November 9th is still the peak.

Yesterdays European.

Italy         20709 - 684

France    14064 - 310

Spain   9331 - 273

Germany  20171 - 453   Germany having bad days now. Worse than first wave.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

image.thumb.png.90ed3bcc22629508a4e944f40902df37.png

A strong decline becoming evident now.

image.thumb.png.d81b339f34a34f6540577b8ee87fc207.png

November 9th is still the peak.

Yesterdays European.

Italy         20709 - 684

France    14064 - 310

Spain   9331 - 273

Germany  20171 - 453   Germany having bad days now. Worse than first wave.

So UK first Euro nation to hit 60k deaths from Covid, but within 7-10 days Italy is highly likely to pass UK death totals. Another Daily record high for Global Covid deaths on Dec. 2nd, so as yet, without mass worldwide vaccines, the virus continues to increase its woes upon human kind.

On 01/12/2020 at 17:03, ricardo said:

Governments have invested far too much in the Lockdown theory to accept this data. I fully expect this to be rubbished or hushed up but in years to come the truth will come out in time, it always does.

I looked at the video. From a statistical point of view my main objection would be the heavy reliance they place upon the google mobility data as a source of information about behaviour change (and the fact that they have adjusted it).

For my sins, I once sat on a committee that use to try to find proxy data for things that we were seeking to examine to establish relationships (but i only did statistics for Economists at Uni, so am not an expert): it is amazingly difficult and most proxy data sets contain flaws which would require you to cross reference them with others. From a scientific point of view they are making big assertions on a relatively "thin data" (re behaviour) which may not measure the variables accurately. That is not to say that they are definitely wrong, but to have confidence in their hypothesis you would require more robust data.

I am also drawn to the question that I asked RTB - why? What does the govt gain from this - I can't see that it has helped them at all - unless it is to give them an excuse when/if  Brexit goes t1ts up. Frankly, I find this explanation of govt actions to be highly implausible!

The other thing into the academic background of Joel Smalley had his Covid work published in a "fringe journal" that also published articles denying climate change (Principia Scientific). Again this does not mean that he is wrong per se, but a healthy degree of scepticism would be sensible.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I am also drawn to the question that I asked RTB - why? What does the govt gain from this - I can't see that it has helped them at all - unless it is to give them an excuse when/if  Brexit goes t1ts up. Frankly, I find this explanation of govt actions to be highly implausible!

I think its because they have invested so much in one course of action that it cannot be allowed to be seen to have been wrong. In my opinion it is telling how those doomsday graphs quickly disappeared and never resurfaced when they rapidly diverged from the ensuing reality.

In years to come the data will all have been analysed and a conclusion drawn but those on the wrong side will no longer be in a position of power.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think its because they have invested so much in one course of action that it cannot be allowed to be seen to have been wrong. In my opinion it is telling how those doomsday graphs quickly disappeared and never resurfaced when they rapidly diverged from the ensuing reality.

In years to come the data will all have been analysed and a conclusion drawn but those on the wrong side will no longer be in a position of power.

This could be the case but I'm pretty sure that they could have done a vault face pretty easily over time and put it down to their success and take credit for it. They know that they would get slavish support from much of the media for any adaption of the policy. So whilst it could possibly explain the first lockdown (which I doubt), I find difficult to believe that they would make the same "mistake" twice - particularly when a lot of their fellow travellers were going off the idea.

The other thing is, that they will have had access to all sorts of independent data and policy wonks outside of SAGE BEFORE they took the decision to lock down - I'm sure this sort of idea was presented to them at the start - indeed there was early talk of herd immunity (which wasn't coming from SAGE, I don't think) but they moved away from this.

By the time a conclusion is drawn, none of the current actors will be about - whether in power or not. There will be all sorts of spinning about the inevitable report published in about 2025 and even then it will contain enough quotable text to give the spin machine plenty of cover! Remember the Franks report😃