Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

So isn't it bonkers to think the Govt could be doing this deliberately ?

We can debate the decisions that have been made - timings on lockdowns, setup of tract & trace over the summer etc.  But I don't think you can seriously suggest the Govt has been doing anything except trying to do its best to navigate an unprecedented crisis.

We've already had over 60,000 deaths despite huge efforts to contain the virus, and even with a vaccine finally in the offing there will still be many more until the disease is truly under control.  The original prediction of 500,000 deaths if nothing was done looks to me pretty realistic as a there or thereabouts number.. 

Who thinks the government is doing it deliberately?

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

35 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

So isn't it bonkers to think the Govt could be doing this deliberately ?

We can debate the decisions that have been made - timings on lockdowns, setup of tract & trace over the summer etc.  But I don't think you can seriously suggest the Govt has been doing anything except trying to do its best to navigate an unprecedented crisis.

We've already had over 60,000 deaths despite huge efforts to contain the virus, and even with a vaccine finally in the offing there will still be many more until the disease is truly under control.  The original prediction of 500,000 deaths if nothing was done looks to me pretty realistic as a there or thereabouts number.. 

We've had 60,000 deaths where covid has been on the death certificate, with an average age of 81 years per mortality. I wonder how many of those 60k would not have made it to the end of year had there been no covid. It's an important consideration when you start to tot up the financial cost of covid.

35 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Who thinks the government is doing it deliberately?

I don't think the government are deliberately trying to to destroy the economy or create the conditions for a great reset but i think they have been badly misled by their experts and haven't asked them enough difficult questions. For example, a couple of weeks ago the predictions for the second wave were put up on display based on out-of-date data, that was quickly picked up by commentators. You have to ask yourself why didn't someone in government pick up on this and stop those slides being presented to the public. It seems out of control behind the scenes.

8 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I don't think the government are deliberately trying to to destroy the economy or create the conditions for a great reset but i think they have been badly misled by their experts and haven't asked them enough difficult questions. For example, a couple of weeks ago the predictions for the second wave were put up on display based on out-of-date data, that was quickly picked up by commentators. You have to ask yourself why didn't someone in government pick up on this and stop those slides being presented to the public. It seems out of control behind the scenes.

No neither do I which is why I asked the question who does? All I’ve said is there is an idea  by the wef and backed by several high profile people including Prince Charles to use this as an opportunity for a reset

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

23 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

We've had 60,000 deaths where covid has been on the death certificate, with an average age of 81 years per mortality. I wonder how many of those 60k would not have made it to the end of year had there been no covid. It's an important consideration when you start to tot up the financial cost of covid.

Isn’t that why people use the excess death statistic?

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Isn’t that why people use the excess death statistic?

Yes it is. Though the total excess deaths figure needs some further exploration because it varies greatly across the UK (Covid and non-Covid). I read this earlier this week from the BMJ and it gives quite a good (very summarised) account of the differences. In London for example there is no XS but in northern England it's pronounced.

I'm guessing it all relates to health inequalities in the country and life expectancy varies greatly even by postcode. Live in parts of northern England in a council owned property and you'll live 7.5 years less on average. Covid will have made that figure lower but it's too early to say yet how much. Inner city mortality rates are also a shock to read. 

It shows too why the government is talking up all the 'level up' agenda. Differences and variations have been growing between parts of the north for decades.

Article for interest:

Covid-19: Excess deaths vary widely across England and Wales, show data | The BMJ https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4500

2 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

No neither do I which is why I asked the question who does? All I’ve said is there is an idea  by the wef and backed by several high profile people including Prince Charles to use this as an opportunity for a reset

What is the reset idea that you’re worried about?

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Because today's are usually not updated until much later, especially Germany.

It was the UK's figures I was referring to Ricardo

11 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

What is the reset idea that you’re worried about?

That isn’t saying the governments are doing it deliberately. It’s an idea by the world economic forum to use this as an opportunity for a reset

43 minutes ago, Bagster said:

Sweden, no masks , no lockdown, no excess deaths.

The last three days 0 covid deaths

This is quite simply a false statement. Stop it. 

Can someone explain the “ substantial meal” rule. You can go in a pub, sit at a table, have a drink with chicken and chips. But you can’t sit at the same table with a drink and a packet of crisps . Just doesn’t make any sense.

1 hour ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

That isn’t saying the governments are doing it deliberately. It’s an idea by the world economic forum to use this as an opportunity for a reset

So I'm interested to know what the reset is that's being proposed ? 

31 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Can someone explain the “ substantial meal” rule. You can go in a pub, sit at a table, have a drink with chicken and chips. But you can’t sit at the same table with a drink and a packet of crisps . Just doesn’t make any sense.

I think the idea is to stop people going down the pub and just mingling.  If you're sitting and eating a proper meal then you'll be more spaced apart.  At the same time it allows the pubs/restaurants to get some customers in and hopefully keep their heads above water.

It's like many Covid measures, they're about reducing the level of personal interaction which reduces the spread of the virus. 

2 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

It was the UK's figures I was referring to Ricardo

The UK's figures are the total deaths reported that day ( many occurred in previous days and even weeks ago), not the actual day of death.

You need to look at the graph for the actual date of death.

Tier 3 for us.

No surprise just resigned to it. Feels like a long race, a marathon indeed.

Ps. I am guessing Ipswich is also going to be Tier 3.

Probably for the next decade🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, ricardo said:

Looking at the latest figures and the feeling that the new Tiers will be more strict, I am now of the firm opinion that Norwich will be TIER 2.

Hope I'm wrong.

I wasn't wrong.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Tier 3 for us.

No surprise just resigned to it. Feels like a long race, a marathon indeed.

Tier 2 for us as expected

1 hour ago, Bagster said:

Sweden, no masks , no lockdown, no excess deaths.

The last three days 0 covid deaths

Untrue and dangerous

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Tier 3 for us same as you Sonyc 

Yes, I've been reading about the Birmingham area (and Kent oddly). Perhaps it will mean rates will fall further. The last few days of Zoe indicate a slight increase again in new cases.

As for the levelling up agenda there will be an ever widening gap because I'm hearing locally a few businesses are going under. Anecdotal I realise.

Those of you that think that this is about a terrible pandemic will have to eventually face the reality that it is not, to be fair you already know it's not.

This is an opportunity, that is all.

Vaccinations, biometric digital ID's, the end of the fiat currency, central bank digital currency, UBI and the dawning of new digital economy.

We are becoming China 2.0 

You can fret all you like about cases and deaths that have been exaggerated.

These are just old people with underlying conditions that are dying, that's tragic but normal.

Imperial college London, the BBC, the WHO , the guardian and many many more , all get funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, a philanthropist with a unique ability of giving away things that give benefits to........oh yes the Bill and Melinda gates Foundation. Doubled their wealth since creation...wow!

Meet Bill Gates, watch it , you might learn something.

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, I've been reading about the Birmingham area (and Kent oddly). Perhaps it will mean rates will fall further. The last few days of Zoe indicate a slight increase again in new cases.

As for the levelling up agenda there will be an ever widening gap because I'm hearing locally a few businesses are going under. Anecdotal I realise.

At least we have testing in tier 3, which clearly worked better than they hoped in Liverpool.

Strangely that may help me and you with our difficult Christmas decision as we will be able to test around the date and not such a risk for the one day if we decide to meet.