23065 - 280         7days ago 21242       14 days ago  18980

definite signs of a levelling off here

Inpatients  10308    up 780,   big rise since yesterday

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European. 

Italy           24991 - 205  highest yet     

France      36437 - 244

Spain        19765 - 168      

Germany  16202 - 91 highest in Germany so far?

• Thanks 1

Not been in a pub since March and very careful in socially distanced restuarants, outside if possible.

58 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Testing capacity appears to be rocketing, now 467k

308k  tests

23065 - 280         7days ago 21242       14 days ago  18980

definite signs of a levelling off here

Inpatients  10308    up 780,   big rise since yesterday

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European. 

Italy           24991 - 205  highest yet     

France      36437 - 244

Spain        19765 - 168      

Germany  16202 - 91 highest in Germany so far?

Yes thats a record  high for a daily positive count for Germany  Ricardo. I know you stick to the nearest  and mostly biggest nations close to us to keep  it simple  for daily comparison, but some big  positive numbers coming thru elsewhere in Europe, Poland today  having 20k new cases , 1st time theyve hit 20k  maybe?...and Belgium...once again shocking  and in a league of their own sadly, over 21k  new cases today, for a nation with 11 mill population...a  comparison figure for UK would be about 130k  cases a day reported.

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not been in a pub since March and very careful in socially distanced restuarants, outside if possible.

Keep away from the shouty person in the restaurant, you know who he is 😉

52 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Wow !  I must admit I and my family went to a nice restaurant on the NN coast a couple of weeks back and although the tables were reasonably well spaced apart, there were serving staff and other customers walking between them and we felt a bit uncomfortable so asked if they could move us somewhere quieter.  After a bit of discussion they laid a table for us in a separate room which was empty otherwise, so we were kept totally away from the other guests and just had the serving staff bringing our food (all wearing masks).  That felt much more comfortable and we were able to relax and completely enjoy the meal.  Having read this article I'm really glad we did !!

No more dinner outings planned at the moment, the earliest will be January now I think.

5 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

However, to say that local authorities have extremely successful contact tracing  systems in place for this context is stretching it.  Local authorities do great work on some pathogens (and a key role on food poisoning etc) and NHS sti contact tracing is a mature system but are you really saying that any local authority had an airborne pandemic solution kit ready to take off the shelf if only they were asked?

No I didn't say any of that, I said we had very successful pre-existing systems in place for contact tracing, which we had, and the Directors of Public Health had realistic plans and offered to scale them up to handle the contact tracing in their area. It was the approach recommended by virtually all the public health experts and the government ignored it - even now months after they've finally acknowledged the national system is failing and accepting that it must be done locally (or so they say) the government is still denying the cash to local government to do the job properly whilst continuing to shower Serco et al with ridiculous amounts of public money.

I'm not saying that it would have been 100% successful but it would have undoubtedly been light years ahead of the government's shambles. The sad thing is that IMO had we had a competent contact tracing system in place 3 or 4 months ago, which was entirely possible, then it may be that the policy of local lockdowns would have had a chance of succeeding.

But that ship has now sailed and whether it is the de facto version currently rolling across the country or another full blown u-turn by Johnson with a comprehensive version, national lockdown appears to be on the way.

37 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Not wishing to be party pooper - but presently the schools have been on half-term for a week (or more).

In Europe at least the schools returning has been considered one of the big reasons CV came back with such a rush.

Hence all things considered we should expect a slow down at least in cases as at present - that and more and more people in T2 and T3 as well (We will ignore that this would of been a excellent time for the circuit break).

What happens next week (and the week after) when the schools are back? Will they be able to stay open with increasing cases and hence staff / pupil / bubble quanantines ? I'm not so sure. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not wishing to be party pooper - but presently the schools have been on half-term for a week (or more).

In Europe at least the schools returning has been considered one of the big reasons CV came back with such a rush.

Hence all things considered we should expect a slow down at least in cases as at present - that and more and more people in T2 and T3 as well (We will ignore that this would of been a excellent time for the circuit break).

What happens next week (and the week after) when the schools are back? Will they be able to stay open with increasing cases and hence staff / pupil / bubble quanantines ? I'm not so sure. 

Well you know what I would say to that.

From the link I posted, which is being shared widely within the NHS and hopefully education communities, it’s the teachers that appear to be presenting the greatest risk.

43 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Wow !  I must admit I and my family went to a nice restaurant on the NN coast a couple of weeks back and although the tables were reasonably well spaced apart, there were serving staff and other customers walking between them and we felt a bit uncomfortable so asked if they could move us somewhere quieter.  After a bit of discussion they laid a table for us in a separate room which was empty otherwise, so we were kept totally away from the other guests and just had the serving staff bringing our food (all wearing masks).  That felt much more comfortable and we were able to relax and completely enjoy the meal.  Having read this article I'm really glad we did !!

No more dinner outings planned at the moment, the earliest will be January now I think.

As Ricardo has said, we all need to do our own risk assessment, don’t rely on proprietors doing that for you, I would very much doubt that there will be anywhere open in January.

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

Perhaps now a look at islamophohia that was promised during the Tory leadership debate? Or will this issue manage to stay in the background?

They're looking closely at Islamaphobia in france today. Three more dead. One lady decapitated.

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

As Ricardo has said, we all need to do our own risk assessment, don’t rely on proprietors doing that for you, I would very much doubt that there will be anywhere open in January.

Tier 3 for us from Monday. Announced half an hour ago. Not surprised whatsoever.

25 in mid-September, 150 a week ago and 268 now in Leeds hospitals with Covid.

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Indeed, those of us who know we are at greater risk need to take greater care. I would love to be able to go to my local pub but it just isn't  worth the risk at the moment.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Tier 3 for us from Monday. Announced half an hour ago. Not surprised whatsoever.

Sorry to hear that SONYC. Better times will return, stay safe👍

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Hope he's  o.k. long silence seems strange.

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Worrying times, keep your head down!

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sorry to hear that SONYC. Better times will return, stay safe👍

Cheers Ricardo. Fully expected though.

Wife has not seen her mum since July (late 80s) and that was in her garden (we cut a hedge down for her).

Can't see anything open now even by Xmas.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

We have just been told our neighbours Birmingham to expect tier 3 next Wednesday.

Just now, ricardo said:

Hope he's  o.k. long silence seems strange.

I know there were some arguments but I hope he is okay.

I worry about him I must admit. And I don't think he has returned in another guise because you get to know someone's style.

• Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

I worry about him I must admit. And I don't think he has returned in another guise because you get to know someone's style.

Has he buzzed off?

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Worrying times, keep your head down!

Cheers VW. 

We have been fairly locked anyway for a long, long time. Get food delivered whenever possible.

Masterly English understatement there @sonyc 😀and I also have a soft spot for a certain poster after he correctly predicted we'd go top with a victory at a game I was attending, almost exactly 2 years ago. 

These are worrying times for all of us.

Cheers Ricardo. Fully expected though.

Wife has not seen her mum since July (late 80s) and that was in her garden (we cut a hedge down for her).

Can't see anything open now even by Xmas.

We live under a WS postcode and we formed a bubble, but basically you can’t see anyone. 
I will say to you all again in Norfolk until you see it for real, you can’t really see what it does you can’t comprehend it. I absolutely agree with Ricardo to keep your own risks down, but your risks in Norfolk are so far less than the Midlands ( not sure where you are Sonyc ). Keep it that way.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Masterly English understatement there @sonyc 😀and I also have a soft spot for a certain poster after he correctly predicted we'd go top with a victory at a game I was attending, almost exactly 2 years ago. 

These are worrying times for all of us.

Indeed. I actually care for everyone on here even though some I don't agree with. I suppose it's easier when you know you're almost certainly never likely to actually meet in person!

Hell, I even made a silent prayer for Johnson when he was in ICU (and I'm no Tory nor religious!) but a death would have been terrible.

Maybe B will return soon.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

We live under a WS postcode and we formed a bubble, but basically you can’t see anyone. 
I will say to you all again in Norfolk until you see it for real, you can’t really see what it does you can’t comprehend it. I absolutely agree with Ricardo to keep your own risks down, but your risks in Norfolk are so far less than the Midlands ( not sure where you are Sonyc ). Keep it that way.

Cheers WBB.

No change though really I don't think. I worry about my son's jobs most of all. They've only just started careers.

10 minutes ago, sonyc said:

#confused.

If you are talking about Bill, is he not posting as Horsefly?