Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

39 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yes noticed that decline in testing too. Would be good to know why that is? A reagent shortage? Other countries scarfing up a finite global resources? A politically driven decision? 

We have similar situation in US - In some states testing levels are rapidly declining, while others are able to maintain a high test level - why?  

I can't speak for Scotland, but here in Cornwall, we have lost some of our testing capacity. Its been moved to areas with higher cases. So our figures will look different from a month ago when there were more tests with a relative calm before the storm.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can't speak for Scotland, but here in Cornwall, we have lost some of our testing capacity. Its been moved to areas with higher cases. So our figures will look different from a month ago when there were more tests with a relative calm before the storm.

Yes I guess that is bound to happen. The regional variation in depth of community  spread is far more significant now than overall figures.

15 hours ago, Surfer said:

Oh look - London. Rather blows up your BS argument doesn’t it? 

Or maybe.... London has achieved Herd Immunity 👍

It often pays to look at the bigger picture. 

very much as yesterday (232k tests  a touch over 3.0% positives) .

7108 - 71

Inpatients  2252 up 203 since yesterday

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1648 - 24

France 8051 - 85

Spain  9906 - 203

Germany  1848 - 11

Edited by ricardo

Does anyone think following the newly reformed press conference (with a statement that they may be continuing), that we are being prepared or groomed for some lockdowns? Or, are there other reasons?

Just now, sonyc said:

Does anyone think following the newly reformed press conference (with a statement that they may be continuing), that we are being prepared or groomed for some lockdowns? Or, are there other reasons?

They like being on the telly😉

It certainly is. The problem with the orange being it can so quickly ramp up out of control you want to suppress it to near zero to avoid that risk. Meanwhile many more people are dying of influenza. Also interesting is the Covid suppression efforts should have reduced influenza spread too. 

Testing has uncovered 170 cases of Covid-19 among workers at a pork meat processing plant in Cornwall.
Five hundred staff at Pilgrim's Pride in Pool, near Camborne, were tested in a contact tracing exercise by the NHS.
Most of those who tested positive were unaware they had Covid-19 and were not displaying symptoms.
They and those they have been in close contact with are isolating in line with government guidelines, said Cornwall Council.
Cases of Covid-19 in the South West are still below the national average, latest figures show.
Cornwall remains the area in the region with the highest number of cases.
In the week to Sunday, numbers rose from 115 to 180. The infection rate is 31.5 per 100,000.
"In total, almost 500 employees at the factory have been tested and the vast majority of the cases who tested positive were not displaying symptoms," said Cornwall Council.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

It certainly is. The problem with the orange being it can so quickly ramp up out of control you want to suppress it to near zero to avoid that risk. Meanwhile many more people are dying of influenza. Also interesting is the Covid suppression efforts should have reduced influenza spread too. 

I had that exact same thought.  I just dont get why lockdown didn't squash flu and pneumonia, or why there wasn't a rebound as we unlocked . Be interesting to see this for previous years

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its going to be OK. Steve Baker is going to tell us what we can and can't do.

I'll take no advice from a man with no chin. 

As predicted by the other data we are seeing a bit of levelling off.

2.7% positives on just over a quarter of a million tests.

6914 - 59

Inpatients  2276 up  only 24 since yesterday

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1851 - 19

France 12845 - 63

Spain  11016 - 177

Germany  2445 - 15

France and Spain still way out on their own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A very positive input from somebody who should know.

Main point: positive tests up a lot.

deaths not the same.

he questions the validity of positive results amongst other things.

It gave me some cheer at least.

https://hubpages.com/politics/Pfizer-Chief-Science-Officer-Second-Wave-Based-on-Fake-Data-of-False-Positives-for-New-Cases-Pandemic-is-Over

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

Have all the leftie Cummings bashers become apoplectic over the SNP MP travelling by train to the HoC and back with coronavirus? 

Edited by Crafty Canary

3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Have all the leftie Cummings bashers become apoplectic over the SNP MP travelling by train to the HoC and back with coronavirus? 

Yes.

• Like 2

Everyone, including her friend and leader, has said she shoud resign. She should resign as she completely broke the rules, only slighly worse than driving around while half blind and full of covid.

21 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

This is called leadership. You may not recognise it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

You ask a question you already know the answer to.  

This is probably the worst example by a public figure yet.  As far as I understand she used public transport thinking she might have it and then again knowing she did.  But I am not sure that she should resign now as I am not sure how practical a by-election would be. Maybe she can resign with long notice period?

She doesn't hold a government office or have special responsibility for covid reaponse so I am not sure that an immediate resignation would achieve except disenfranchisement of her constituents

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

You ask a question you already know the answer to.  

This is probably the worst example by a public figure yet.  As far as I understand she used public transport thinking she might have it and then again knowing she did.  But I am not sure that she should resign now as I am not sure how practical a by-election would be. Maybe she can resign with long notice period?

She doesn't hold a government office or have special responsibility for covid reaponse so I am not sure that an immediate resignation would achieve except disenfranchisement of her constituents

What does "I am not sure how practical a by-election would be" mean, why would it not be practical.

Her constituents should start a petition to re-call.

Hi guys

Just thought I would throw you a quick bit of news from the Come On Sarah thread. You may remember ( I posted it on here as well ) about 3 weeks ago I posted a link for Midlands Today where they said health authorities in a couple of areas in The West Midlands had been asked to prepare to administer a vaccine in October. The next day this mysteriously disappeared from the BBC and was never mentioned nationally ( or internationally ). 
Todays lunchtime Midlands Today news has just announced ( not even as their headlines ) that 2 vaccines will commence for Herefordshire and Staffordshire this month. They both have names ( can’t remember what they were ) and will be administered from mobile units. As soon as the link comes up on iplayer I will post it for you.

This is probably why BBC, SKY, ITV and several papers yesterday were reporting that even if a vaccine was released this month it won’t make to much difference until the middle of the year with manufacture, distribution and the fact 2 injections are needed 2 - 3 weeks apart.

57 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What does "I am not sure how practical a by-election would be" mean, why would it not be practical.

Sure it could be done but its not ideal. 

Door to door canvassing, in person voting, hustings, all bad for transmission but a part of our election culture.

53 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi guys

Just thought I would throw you a quick bit of news from the Come On Sarah thread. You may remember ( I posted it on here as well ) about 3 weeks ago I posted a link for Midlands Today where they said health authorities in a couple of areas in The West Midlands had been asked to prepare to administer a vaccine in October. The next day this mysteriously disappeared from the BBC and was never mentioned nationally ( or internationally ). 
Todays lunchtime Midlands Today news has just announced ( not even as their headlines ) that 2 vaccines will commence for Herefordshire and Staffordshire this month. They both have names ( can’t remember what they were ) and will be administered from mobile units. As soon as the link comes up on iplayer I will post it for you.

This is probably why BBC, SKY, ITV and several papers yesterday were reporting that even if a vaccine was released this month it won’t make to much difference until the middle of the year with manufacture, distribution and the fact 2 injections are needed 2 - 3 weeks apart.

Details of the story are now on the BBC website. Ambush and triumph are the code words used, with triumph understood to be oxford/astra zeneca 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Absolutely agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Well Cummings was the trail blazer for breaking the rules and since then he has been followed by several Tory MPs none of whom resigned (or even apologised so far as I'm aware) and of course since the shambolic unlock a significant proportion of the general population have also followed suit.

Not that any of that justifies the foolishness of this MP's action but it doesn't really have have the novelty or shock value that Cummings generated by trashing the rules at a time when the vast majority of the country was taking the much stricter lockdown rules very seriously indeed. Add to that this lady is simply an MP in the Scottish Parliament unlike Cummings who sits at the heart (or head might be more accurate) of the UK government and was very directly involved in putting in place the rules which he subsequently trashed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Well Cummings was the trail blazer for breaking the rules and since then he has been followed by several Tory MPs none of whom resigned (or even apologised so far as I'm aware) and of course since the shambolic unlock a significant proportion of the general population have also followed suit.

Not that any of that justifies the foolishness of this MP's action but it doesn't really have have the novelty or shock value that Cummings generated by trashing the rules at a time when the vast majority of the country was taking the much stricter lockdown rules very seriously indeed. Add to that this lady is simply an MP in the Scottish Parliament unlike Cummings who sits at the heart (or head might be more accurate) of the UK government and was very directly involved in putting in place the rules which he subsequently trashed.

She is an MP at Westminster so arguably should be more accountable than an advisor.  But I have already stated that I feel that although this is the most serious breach this far the bloodletting can wait.