Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, Herman said:

She just told committee that the rise in people wanting tests wasn't expected!? 🤨

I bet she didn't either. She was due for the Chris Grayling Ports consultancy but said she was tee total.

26 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You just get the sense that we are at a pivot point. Like a wave about to crash.  Local news tonight in my part of the world has talked up a coming emergency in North Yorkshire where rates have quadrupled.

Whitty stated only a few weeks ago that he sensed we would have a very difficult winter.

Yep. We had the whole summer to sort out TTand T, as for trace we got rid of 6000 tracers who were tier 3 non NHS appointments, not professionally trained and I didn’t see that as a backward step. There was more work at a local level, again good. BUT... the failure to anticipate the increase in demand for testing and the commensurate loss of staff at lighthouse labs is an absolute failure of government, again , ....which imo is appalling. I have been an NHS contact tracer for months but the communication from the centre has be zilch, there has been no personnel management and to be honest I haven’t done a shift for several weeks. The whole thing is shoddy, we had a great chance to get this right over the summer which we appear to have squandered...that’s it!!

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You just get the sense that we are at a pivot point. Like a wave about to crash.  Local news tonight in my part of the world has talked up a coming emergency in North Yorkshire where rates have quadrupled.

Whitty stated only a few weeks ago that he sensed we would have a very difficult winter.

Where I live, Winter looks like it's starting  next week 

Big spike here the last 2 days, and talk of the  pubs being closed this weekend....that didn't even happen (fully) back in March 

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yep. We had the whole summer to sort out TTand T, as for trace we got rid of 6000 tracers who were tier 3 non NHS appointments, not professionally trained and I didn’t see that as a backward step. There was moremwork at a local level, again good. BUT... the failure to anticipate the increase in demand for testing and the commensurate loss of staff at lighthouse labs is an absolute failure of government, again .....which imo is appalling. I have have been an NHS contact tracer for months but the communication from the centre has be zilch, there has been no personnel management and to be honest I haven’t done a shift for several weeks. The whole thing is shoddy and we had a great chance to get this right over the summer...that’s it!!

The Tories don't trust local administrations though hence such a focus on the likes of Serco, G4S etc. The result is something far more remote and less engaged.  And that's not me playing politics just to make a point, it's a truth.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yep. We had the whole summer to sort out TTand T, as for trace we got rid of 6000 tracers who were tier 3 non NHS appointments, not professionally trained and I didn’t see that as a backward step. There was more work at a local level, again good. BUT... the failure to anticipate the increase in demand for testing and the commensurate loss of staff at lighthouse labs is an absolute failure of government, again , ....which imo is appalling. I have been an NHS contact tracer for months but the communication from the centre has be zilch, there has been no personnel management and to be honest I haven’t done a shift for several weeks. The whole thing is shoddy, we had a great chance to get this right over the summer which we appear to have squandered...that’s it!!

Aye. The whole point of lockdown. The whole point of the quiet summer. It was all to make sure that the country was ready for schools reopening, a potential second wave and oncoming winter. 

They better get their act together because it's not just anti government people like me getting the hump. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Aye. The whole point of lockdown. The whole point of the quiet summer. It was all to make sure that the country was ready for schools reopening, a potential second wave and oncoming winter. 

They better get their act together because it's not just anti government people like me getting the hump. 

Not a political point from me, purely an observation from a small part of a huge wheel, I’ve no idea if any other administration would have done it better, but have to say you would be hard pushed to do it any worse😳

• Like 1

Not one of them has said they got it wrong in any way. I could givethem leeway if they said they were totally overwhelmed by a virus that seems unique. And that even the science is still divided. But for the PM to say "I think we got it just about right" and using the Nightingale as the only example shows how even viruses that cause worldwide death and economic mayhem are just political.

I think something that needs to be considered is the fact that a huge section of the population is now scared stiff, Some to the point of disability, probably permanently, because of all of this.

I can’t help but keep thinking about the true cost of this.

Far too pessimistic. Lets go by the facts and not jump to speculative conclusions. Looking at the progression of the numbers I don't  think this is anything like it was in March but time will tell.

Four cases in Redruth yesterday but as a cluster. No details given which is stupid as a small town like ours means so many come into contact with each other and use the same shops, pubs etc. Why not tell us who they are? We probably know them.

Great point today. Chap said why is the Government blaming the lack of social distancing when they keep throwing slogans like oven ready, world beating and moonshot at us to convince us they are in control. 99% of people of 70M observe rules. 1% don't and the country has a problem.

• Like 1

Just has my 'Ipsos MORI' random (the 150K) test delivered. Came in the post.

Given the shortages I would of thought Sericor would of been more appropriate 😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

a friend from Norfolk is having a nice day out trashing the environment to find out whether he's healthy or not, all the way to Lancashire for a covid test. Marvelous policy, what a bunch of amateurs.

Angela Rayner's joke of everyone having to drive to Durham for a test wasn't far from the truth then. 

2 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

a friend from Norfolk is having a nice day out trashing the environment to find out whether he's healthy or not, all the way to Lancashire for a covid test. Marvelous policy, what a bunch of amateurs.

Does he need to know for work/childcare?  If not, is it possible he could sit at home until symptoms subside?

46 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just has my 'Ipsos MORI' random (the 150K) test delivered. Came in the post.

Given the shortages I would of thought Sericor would of been more appropriate 😱

apparently if it is not unpleasant you havent done it right and it won't work!

• Haha 1

@Yellow Fever

Here's an example of "sleepwalking" you commented on a week or so ago.... 

"The Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford, has strongly criticised Boris Johnson for not discussing the Covid crisis with the leaders of the devolved nations.

Speaking at a press conference in Cardiff, Drakeford said there was a “vacancy at the heart” of the UK.

He said he had had one brief conversation with Johnson since 28 May.

He said:

This is simply unacceptable to anyone who believes that we ought to be facing the coronavirus crisis together.

We need a regular, reliable rhythm of engagement: a reliable meeting even once a week would be a start.

I make this argument not because we should all do the same things, but because being round the same table allows each of us to make the best decisions for the nations we represent.

There is a vacancy at the heart of the United Kingdom, and it needs urgently to be filled, so we can talk to each other, share information, pool ideas and demonstrate a determination that the whole of the country can face these challenges together at this most difficult time"

Very little attention to the detail, the trends occuring across Europe ....yet again we appear behind the curve. Harding yesterday stated she was surprised at the upturn in numbers...even though in this little messageboard in the sleepy depths of Norfolk....we've been discussing whether rates would rise for at least a month. She has blamed modellers of course.

Who would have thought with offices getting back to work, schools re-opening and the hospitality industry re-establishing that this would create just the conditions for the virus? Yet....as Aggy has pointed out, hospitalisation figures (and deaths) have not followed (yet). And Ricardo is bullish about being over pessimistic.

I am still of the belief that the government's messaging has been less than adequate over these summer months. The quote above hints at the sheer frustration from Wales (& reading Scotland too). 

Writing this as large parts of the north going back into lockdown / curfews  and I read that Norwich is now an area of concern.

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Writing this as large parts of the north going back into lockdown / curfews  and I read that Norwich is now an area of concern.

Norwich has been on the watch list since the Banham outbreak I believe.

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/norfolk-off-government-coronavirus-watchlist-1-6845036

norfolk

taken off the watchlist. Problem is our population is so low just a few cases looks bad. I think in general Norfolk should be very proud of how we’ve reacted to this. In general I think the population has done very well in trying to keep infection low in the community. 

positives  back up but still below 2% of tests

Latest UK Numbers  4322 - 27

Inpatients  1020 up by 32

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1585 - 13

France 10593 - 50

Spain   11291 - 162

Germany  2177 - 8

massive numbers of positives, France and Spain but fatalities not taking off as they did in March.

Edited by ricardo

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

@Yellow Fever

Here's an example of "sleepwalking" you commented on a week or so ago.... 

"The Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford, has strongly criticised Boris Johnson for not discussing the Covid crisis with the leaders of the devolved nations.

Speaking at a press conference in Cardiff, Drakeford said there was a “vacancy at the heart” of the UK.

He said he had had one brief conversation with Johnson since 28 May.

He said:

This is simply unacceptable to anyone who believes that we ought to be facing the coronavirus crisis together.

We need a regular, reliable rhythm of engagement: a reliable meeting even once a week would be a start.

I make this argument not because we should all do the same things, but because being round the same table allows each of us to make the best decisions for the nations we represent.

There is a vacancy at the heart of the United Kingdom, and it needs urgently to be filled, so we can talk to each other, share information, pool ideas and demonstrate a determination that the whole of the country can face these challenges together at this most difficult time"

Very little attention to the detail, the trends occuring across Europe ....yet again we appear behind the curve. Harding yesterday stated she was surprised at the upturn in numbers...even though in this little messageboard in the sleepy depths of Norfolk....we've been discussing whether rates would rise for at least a month. She has blamed modellers of course.

Who would have thought with offices getting back to work, schools re-opening and the hospitality industry re-establishing that this would create just the conditions for the virus? Yet....as Aggy has pointed out, hospitalisation figures (and deaths) have not followed (yet). And Ricardo is bullish about being over pessimistic.

I am still of the belief that the government's messaging has been less than adequate over these summer months. The quote above hints at the sheer frustration from Wales (& reading Scotland too). 

No argument from me there SonyC.

However - the Professionals are getting rather more than concerned hence the discussions on the 'circuit breaker'. 

That is what I would do - and possibly more for 2 or 3 weeks. Get ahead of the curve. Instead the government (or more likely Johnson / Cummings)  will daly around afraid of the economic impact as per last March and then have an even bigger impact to deal with both in terms of  health and economics. It what seems to happen with amateurs and chancers in charge.  Always gambling and hoping for the best.

They can redeem themselves a little (actually that's impossible - damage done)  if they act ruthlessly next week at the latest.

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

No argument from me there SonyC.

However - the Professionals are getting rather more than concerned hence the discussions on the 'circuit breaker'. 

That is what I would do - and possibly more for 2 or 3 weeks. Get ahead of the curve. Instead the government (or more likely Johnson / Cummings)  will daly around afraid of the economic impact as per last March and then have an even bigger impact to deal with both in terms of  health and economics. It what seems to happen with amateurs and chancers in charge.  Always gambling and hoping for the best.

They can redeem themselves a little (actually that's impossible - damage done)  if they act ruthlessly next week at the latest.

We need a national lock down now to get things under control, the problem is that only buys time and if the time is wasted, as it was over the summer, then we gain no advantage in the long term

16 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We need a national lock down now to get things under control, the problem is that only buys time and if the time is wasted, as it was over the summer, then we gain no advantage in the long term

That's two for lockdown now.  Its creeping back up the agenda.

I suspect that the Sweden and, increasingly, Italy experiences  together with the obvious downsides will stop lockdown happening but there does seem to be a slow shift this way.

I've just heard Johnson on the radio now speaking. He stated there would be no full lockdown.

So that's been put to bed then.

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

I've just heard Johnson on the radio now speaking. He stated there would be no full lockdown.

They'll be enough 'local' lockdowns for most of the country to be in lockdown.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

Something will happen around half term.