Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

These things are normally for the Come On Sarah Thread but here is breaking news via Midlands News a bit like your Look East.

West Midlands news have just reported breaking news that the vaccine ( apparently there are 2 ) will commence in October in The West Midlands. More to follow, but apparently being distributed as we speak.

Very worrying. It can work out if everyone remains committed to the process - especially masks. Here in California we don't have offices open yet, but shops, restaurants and cinemas just allowed a limited number of people inside after several months of pick up or outdoor service only. We are still testing testing, testing, despite recent reagent shortages and lab capacity issues ... so case numbers are falling and rather quickly. On the other hand another State that also has a Disney park looks like it also has good new cases news, but maybe it's "we can't find cases if we stop testing for them", and their death rate may be trending up again. 

(Dashed line US 7 day avg;  CA 4% , FL 16% +ve test) 

TWo States.jpg

Edited by Surfer

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Full lockdown is just around the corner, I can see a 10pm curfew soon plus over 50’s asked to stay at home and self isolate. Care homes will be locked down with no visitors, it’s going to be a tough winter. Only hope is a vaccine

I'd put the chance of another full lockdown as near to nil as makes no difference.

Full lockdown will not happen. Christmas is a time when many companies, especially the retail trade, make up to 50% of their money and sales.

This Government have been awful during the crisis but a full lockdown will send too many to the wall.

Many will lose their jobs when furlough ends as it is.

Morally it stinks, but even a leftie like me can see that its six or two threes in this situation.

There will be localised restrictions but lockdowns of the nature we saw in March, April etc are a thing of the past. Looking at the results of various forms of lockdown seem to indicate that they are of limited use in any event.

Here is an extremely thought provoking video which promotes the alternative view on lockdowns and a second wave. Bound to raise a few hackles I'm sure😉

All very much like yesterday

Latest UK Numbers  3497 - 6

Inpatients  884 up from 863

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

France overtakes UK on total infections

Edited by ricardo

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

To clarify, that’s 884 total in hospital, with 21 admissions today, (not 884 daily admissions today up from 863 daily admissions yesterday)? 

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

To clarify, that’s 884 total in hospital, with 21 admissions today, (not 884 daily admissions today up from 863 daily admissions yesterday)? 

Correct

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Do you think the reason  for more positives is more testing ?

Its obviously part of it. Fatalities have not picked up yet and even France and Spain, supposedly a couple of weeks ahead are still not showing anything like the March / April level of acceleration. The video I posted earlier may well be proved correct. As always time will tell.

26 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Yes, it is --- The majority of those testing positive are also showing no symptoms and the virus will remain out there until we've garnered herd immunity -- That has always been the case.

Edited by Jools

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Yes, it is --- The majority of those testing positive are also showing no symptoms and the virus will remain out there until we've garnered herd immunity -- That has always been the case.

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Edited by Aggy

1 hour ago, Jools said:

he case.

Edited by Aggy

4 hours ago, Aggy said:

Net admissions of 21 I would guess.  I imagine some people got to leave hospital in the preferred manner.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

Hi Ricardo

Obviously these figures are from the ONS. On the Midlands news last night one hospital the QE in Birmingham was saying they now have 80 admissions, with 9 already in ICU. They were clearly concerned and went as far as saying 2 of those in icu were in their 20s with no underlying conditions. They were also deeply concerned about the number of people walking into A & E with coronavirus symptoms. They also mentioned they expected deaths to start occurring in 2 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi Ricardo

Obviously these figures are from the ONS. On the Midlands news last night one hospital the QE in Birmingham was saying they now have 80 admissions, with 9 already in ICU. They were clearly concerned and went as far as saying 2 of those in icu were in their 20s with no underlying conditions. They were also deeply concerned about the number of people walking into A & E with coronavirus symptoms. They also mentioned they expected deaths to start occurring in 2 weeks.

As I remarked earlier, time will tell.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi Ricardo

Didnt watch the midlands news, but everything i can see in writing online says all in icu at QE aged between 40 and 75, and i can’t see if they had pre-existing conditions or not - nobody in their 20s in icu. Articles also says only 32 have been admitted in the last fortnight, the remainder have been in longer (it doesn’t say how long but I’m aware of at least two people in another hospital in the north east who have been in for over 4 months by way of example...).

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Net admissions of 21 I would guess.  I imagine some people got to leave hospital in the preferred manner.

presumably it would count people who "leave" hospital out of both doors...

Very much on a plateau for last several days

Latest UK Numbers  3330 - 5

Inpatients  884  same as yesterday

Yesterdays European. (incomplete)

Italy   1501 - 6

France 10562 - 17

Spain   ?

Germany  821  - 4

Lots more positives in France in recent days, now ahead of UK in 13th place

A major uptick in fatalities ought to be noticeable by now if the second wavers are correct.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Italy   1501 - 6

France 10562 - 17

Spain   ?

Germany  821  - 4

A major uptick in fatalities ought to be noticeable by now if the second wavers are correct.

Not got Spain’s figures there, but good to see France’s deaths figures decreasing. Seem to jump about a bit (presume you’re doing daily rather than seven day rolling in these?) but certainly not exploding as you’d expect to see based on the increase in positive tests (which has been going on in France and Spain for ages now).

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Italy   1501 - 6

France 10562 - 17

Spain   ?

Germany  821  - 4

I don't believe there will be deaths like before unless this thing morphs. And it doesn't appear to have done so to any great degree.

But until the real deal vaccine, people like yourself and many others will have to be wary.

My Grandson who lives with us had a test, negative, but while he was waiting, we cut right back on mixing with people etc. We don't want to be responsible for passing it on.

Every new day, people are diagnosed with cancer, heart disease etc and the vulnerable in that group are at risk. But I don't believe care homes will see anywhere near the mortality rates like before.

34 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't believe there will be deaths like before unless this thing morphs. And it doesn't appear to have done so to any great degree.

But until the real deal vaccine, people like yourself and many others will have to be wary.

My Grandson who lives with us had a test, negative, but while he was waiting, we cut right back on mixing with people etc. We don't want to be responsible for passing it on.

Every new day, people are diagnosed with cancer, heart disease etc and the vulnerable in that group are at risk. But I don't believe care homes will see anywhere near the mortality rates like before.

Yes I tend to agree. 

I went to our local on Friday lunchtime for the first time since March. Only two allowed inside to order, socially distanced tables outside. Drinks served in bottles or disposable containers. All food served with wooden plates and cutlery. I think if you are sensible you can still live your life and be safe.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

Here's a handy tip. If you want to have a big party with lots of relatives and friends just tell them to bring their shotguns.
😀

NEW: Boris Johnson's Rule Of 6 has a controversial exemption - for grouse shooting and similar field sports. Upto 30 people can gather to hunt with guns cos classed as a licensed outdoor sport.

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Here's a handy tip. If you want to have a big party with lots of relatives and friends just tell them to bring their shotguns.
😀

NEW: Boris Johnson's Rule Of 6 has a controversial exemption - for grouse shooting and similar field sports. Upto 30 people can gather to hunt with guns cos classed as a licensed outdoor sport.

Yep. All the hunt folk on this forum can fill their boots....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/5-bits-rule-six-small-22679161?

Nice to keep the social classes quite separate. Equality in Britain and all that. Levelling up.

• Haha 1