Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

24 minutes ago, BigFish said:

This remains an England problem, but there are vast swathes of the country that could be made Covid free but only if protected from incoming infection from outside, 

I wonder how much this was discussed.  You could probably sanitize an area, say Cornwall, with a massive influx of resources and isolation until vaccine and then move outwards.

Question is would the regional economy survive and would the resources not be better spent elsewhere. 

Most European countries showing an increase in infections. Spain 3092, Germany 1012, France 1346.

UK latest 771.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I wonder how much this was discussed.  You could probably sanitize an area, say Cornwall, with a massive influx of resources and isolation until vaccine and then move outwards.

Question is would the regional economy survive and would the resources not be better spent elsewhere. 

Cornwall v Leicester?

Totally different in virtually every geographical and demographical area.

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cornwall v Leicester?

Totally different in virtually every geographical and demographical area.

Yes,   if we arwle going to implement big fish's plan we have at least some hope of doing it in Cornwall 

On 27/07/2020 at 17:43, PurpleCanary said:

VW, I see that in France from now on anyone can get a test for Covid-19 for free and without a prescription from their doctor. They don't even need to be displaying symptoms. Obviously another way to help reduce the risk of spreading the virus, and good news for the likes of Bagster, over there.

But what are the chances of this being adopted in the UK, given that it seems to have been behindhand so far in taking - or being able to take - action?

This may be starting to have an effect on the number of positive tests in France.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Testing the entire population every five days migbt be a bit difficult but I suspect that testing will be increased across the region.  In leicester as well as being able to get a test if you have symptoms or have been in contact there were/are places where testers are going door to door.

But really testing alone is not enough if asymptomatic spread is common, there must also be restrictions on gatherings.  Your message is a bit ambiguous as to your support for a local 'lockdown', interested to hear your thoughts

This was being proposed for Norwich a while back, didn’t come to anything though.

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Bottom line is the economy can only recover when we beat the virus.

23 hours ago, ricardo said:

Easy to see Local Authorities with a problem.

and those that don't.

Do they do this graph with cases per 100,000 population Ricardo? Can’t say it’s a shock that Manchester, Birmingham, Bradford and Sheffield are up at the top as they’re the four largest cities outside of London. The others around them are within the ‘greater’ areas of those metropolitan counties as well. 

Edited by Aggy

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Do they do this graph with cases per 100,000 population Ricardo? Can’t say it’s a shock that Manchester, Birmingham, Bradford and Sheffield are up at the top as they’re the four largest cities outside of London. The others around them are within the ‘greater’ areas of those metropolitan counties as well. 

Yes, they sometimes do, I will see if I can find a recent example.

• Like 1

This is scaled per 100k of population but is for each seperate day, not cumulative.

• Like 1

The order confuses me as some further down the list are higher than at the top. Looking at a few of those in the Manchester north west area, the numbers seem to be going down rather than up over the last few days?

ps thanks Ricardo 

Edited by Aggy

I think its because the numbers fluctuate considerably. It would be nice to have something like a 3 to 5 day cumulative average to show the direction of travel more clearly but this is the best I can find at the moment.

Nice to see the numbers here in Norwich and Norfolk so low. You would be very unlucky to bump into an infected person on these numbers.

Edited by ricardo

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think its because the numbers fluctuate considerably. It would be nice to have something like a 3 to 5 day cumulative average to show the direction of travel more clearly but this is the best I can find at the moment.

Nice to see the numbers here in Norwich and Norfolk so low. You would be very unlucky to bump into an infected person on these numbers.

Maybe so but the dark reds are all a fortnight ago and the numbers all seem to be going the right direction - just makes the timing of the announcement for the north west tightening of restrictions very strange to me... seems a bit late as the numbers are already going down.

The very worst one of the lot is 22.4 out of 100,000 so you’d be pretty unlucky even in Blackburn to meet someone who has it, which is good!

Edited by Aggy

On 31/07/2020 at 17:45, Aggy said:

Lol. Who said anything about a week’s debate? You should change your name to spin the boat. 

Sonyc, check his posts

16 minutes ago, Aggy said:

The very worst one of the lot is 22.4 out of 100,000 so you’d be pretty unlucky even in Blackburn to meet someone who has it, which is good!

Yes, but they are just the totals infected on that day, the accumulated totals will obviously be higher and people remain infectious for more than one day. Also if you look at Bradford over the last 7 days you will find 230 plus cases to Norwich' s 1.

Edited by ricardo

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, but they are just the totals infected on that day, the accumulated totals will obviously be higher and people remain infectious for more than one day.

True but there’ll be others recovering as well.

20 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sonyc, check his posts

Fair enough. Any luck on where I criticised the government for being too slow to introduce lockdown initially?

58 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Fair enough. Any luck on where I criticised the government for being too slow to introduce lockdown initially?

you might just have noticed that you have had the same arguments with BB,

whereby he claims something that you never said

then sets himself up, on that basis, as being correct

the penny will drop, eventually

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Seeing my name check, need to reply. At the moment there are articles about pubs maybe closing again (some Sage advisors) and linking this to the issue of schools re-opening later in terms of reducing the overall level of risk. This is being debated and it's out in the public arena. This is my whole point. If then a decision is made in a week or a few days time that pubs have to shut, people at least understand (though may not of course agree). 

The northern restrictions announced yesterday had no such lead in. Indeed Bradford yesterday reportedly had very few new infections. Ricardo's data above likewise shows the patterns. No wonder there is anger and frustration, NOT at the issue but just basic sensitivity about the latter (especially literally an hour or two ahead of Eid). There is a main article about it in the Independent today and it's on many other outlets. 

There are 6 other towns where there are numbers rising. I'm guessing these will be under scrutiny too.

As for Spain, France, Germany, clearly there are rising infection rates (which may or may not translate into rising death rates). You do just wonder then, as we were a week or two weeks behind their infection curves, whether in a week's time, we may see new infections at over 1000 or towards 2000? I imagine this was expected when lockdown was eased.

Johnson appears to now acting very suddenly as things occur (the Spain quarantine and now the 4.6m northern area restrictions). It doesn't feel like a 'strategy' that engenders public trust as such but you get the sense that it's more akin to the term you used Aggy ('whack a mole').

Edited by sonyc

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

Seeing my name check, need to reply. At the moment there are articles about pubs maybe closing again (some Sage advisors) and linking this to the issue of schools re-opening later in terms of reducing the overall level of risk. This is being debated and it's out in the public arena. This is my whole point. If then a decision is made in a week or a few days time that pubs have to shut, people at least understand (though may not of course agree). 

The northern restrictions announced yesterday had no such lead in. Indeed Bradford yesterday reportedly had very few new infections. Ricardo's data above likewise shows the patterns. No wonder there is anger and frustration, NOT at the issue but just basic sensitivity about the latter (especially literally an hour or two ahead of Eid). There is a main article about it in the Independent today and it's on many other outlets. 

There are 6 other towns where there are numbers rising. I'm guessing these will be under scrutiny too.

As for Spain, France, Germany, clearly there are rising infection rates (which may or may not translate into rising death rates). You do just wonder then, as we were a week or two weeks behind their infection curves, whether in a week's time, we may see new infections at over 1000 or towards 2000? I imagine this was expected when lockdown was eased.

Johnson appears to now acting very suddenly as things occur (the Spain quarantine and now the 4.6m northern area restrictions). It doesn't feel like a 'strategy' that engenders public trust as such but you get the sense that it's more akin to the term you used Aggy ('whack a mole').

Once the analysis is done there is a choice: act immediately at the expense of notice  and clarity or give notice and work at the finer detail at the expense of speed of action. 

The pattern had been set now though so hopefully everyone is reminded that this is still running.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Once the analysis is done there is a choice: act immediately at the expense of notice  and clarity or give notice and work at the finer detail at the expense of speed of action. 

The pattern had been set now though so hopefully everyone is reminded that this is still running.

‘Immediately’ here meaning over 28 hours later?

I'm curious, so I have to ask: Does anybody here at the Pink'Un know of anyone who has died from the virus or had the virus and survived?

19 minutes ago, Jools said:

I'm curious, so I have to ask: Does anybody here at the Pink'Un know of anyone who has died from the virus or had the virus and survived?

Two colleagues working at company in Essex. Spoke to one of them when they were first off. Both OK now but had no doubt at all it was bad.

3 people that I know have had it. None of them serious* because of their ages and health but one with ongoing health issues. The third one is from second hand information but as it came from a family member about another family member I tend to trust their word. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

*Serious as in hospitalised.

Edited by Herman

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

3 people that I know have had it. None of them serious* because of their ages and health but one with ongoing health issues. The third one is from second hand information but as it came from a family member about another family member I tend to trust their word. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

*Serious as in hospitalised.

I believe you.

I know a chap here in Cromer who was hospitalised at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital for a couple of weeks back in April --- He's a 60 years of age 60 fags per day smoker and he wasn't put on a ventilator -- He reckons it was no worse than the Winter flu he suffered several years ago and that he could've recuperated at home.

Edited by Jools

1 hour ago, Jools said:

You obviously did not read my post saying that Mrs Shrimps brother in law was one of the first three people to die in the QEH of covid 19.

Edited by SHRIMPER

A friends father died within two days of going into JPH. Another friend had all the symptoms, tested negative BUT is still not 100% after two months.

22 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, but they are just the totals infected on that day, the accumulated totals will obviously be higher and people remain infectious for more than one day. Also if you look at Bradford over the last 7 days you will find 230 plus cases to Norwich' s 1.

The figure for Norwich is wrong, which makes me wonder about the other data