Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Where, anywhere in the world is this second wave. Everywhere appears to be having a long slow tail but no appreciable second wave.

Maybe the two Italian doctors who wrote about the large drop in viral loading they were seeing in later positive tested cases were correct and the virus simply loses it's effectiveness over time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

nah, word from Lords is that Charles will only come in as a nightwatchman

with Phil on 99 and Liz on 94, they'll both want to bat on for their centuries before any declaration is made

Andrew is already back in the pavilion and Edward is rumoured to bat for the other side

so how long before the King Carlos of Spain look alike steps up to the crease ?

SEX HOLLANDS: JUAN CARLOS, PRINCE WILLIAM, KING BHUMIBOL

I thought that he bowled from the Pavilion End.

3 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I thought that he bowled from the Pavilion End.

quite a bit of spin but only ever the one 'maiden' over

and spot the couple (father) here - Charles is on the end of the sofa

Did Spain's King Don Juan Carlos have an affair with Diana | Daily ...

53 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Maybe the two Italian doctors who wrote about the large drop in viral loading they were seeing in later positive tested cases were correct and the virus simply loses it's effectiveness over time.

Or its summer and if a second wave is due it'll come in the autumn.

And to answer an earlier question I'm sure Iran is having a second go at this...

• Like 1

Test and Trace. Nearly a third not contacted or traced and Handoncock and Di(l)do see it as a success.

40 thousand deaths a success according to Boris.

Tim Montgomery, Tory speechwriter, says its already time for Boris to go.

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Test and Trace. Nearly a third not contacted or traced and Handoncock and Di(l)do see it as a success.

40 thousand deaths a success according to Boris.

Tim Montgomery, Tory speechwriter, says its already time for Boris to go.

fatboy - get him gone................now where have I heard that before ?

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Or its summer and if a second wave is due it'll come in the autumn.

And to answer an earlier question I'm sure Iran is having a second go at this...

Climate appears to make no difference according to the WHO.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

fatboy - get him gone................now where have I heard that before ?

Probably an echo.

Get on Biden - I picked him up at 11/8, best you can get now is 5/6

Trump is now trailing 14 points, and his popularity is falling steadily

get back what you lost on Cummings

So no 'fancy dress' for PL games - which rather reflects what is happening elsewhere.

No ballboys, sanitised replacement balls and segregated areas where possibly - but no fancy dress

And I would have thought, reading some of the guff on here, that there should be a massive increase in infection and death given that virtually no one is sporting this idiocies.

But no, and given how it appears to be back to 'normal' everywhere I have been someone seems to got it wrong .... yet again

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

Climate appears to make no difference according to the WHO.

Virus seems to be surging in southern and western USA (hence the sell off off on stocks), Brazil, India etc.

Give it an inch and it will take a mile.

• Like 1

This is concerning with regards to the debate about a second spike:-

(Are these the states that resisted and ignored lockdown from the beginning? I cannot recall. The last paragraph needs noting as well.)

(Reuters) - About half a dozen states including Texas and Arizona are grappling with a rising number of coronavirus patients filling hospital beds, fanning concerns that the reopening of the U.S. economy may spark a second wave of infections.

A recent spike in cases in about a dozen states partially reflects increased testing. But many of those states are also seeing rising hospitalizations and some are beginning to run short on intensive care unit (ICU) beds.

Texas has seen record hospitalizations for three days in a row, and in North Carolina only 13% of the state's ICU beds are available due to severe COVID-19 cases. Houston's mayor said the city was ready to turn its NFL stadium into a make-shift hospital if necessary.

Arizona has seen a record number of hospitalizations at 1,291. The state health director told hospitals this week to activate emergency plans and increase ICU capacity. About three-quarters of the state's ICU beds are filled, according to the state website.

Health experts worry there could be a further rise in infections from nationwide protests over racial injustice and police brutality that packed people together starting two weeks ago."

Let's hope this last paragraph will not apply to the UK.

If so a misquote of Lady Bracknell might well be appropriate:

"To have one spike may be regarded as unfortunate, to have two could look like carelessness."

Edited by BroadstairsR

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

This is concerning with regards to the debate about a second spike:-

(Are these the states that resisted and ignored lockdown from the beginning? I cannot recall. The last paragraph needs noting as well.)

(Reuters) - About half a dozen states including Texas and Arizona are grappling with a rising number of coronavirus patients filling hospital beds, fanning concerns that the reopening of the U.S. economy may spark a second wave of infections.

A recent spike in cases in about a dozen states partially reflects increased testing. But many of those states are also seeing rising hospitalizations and some are beginning to run short on intensive care unit (ICU) beds.

Texas has seen record hospitalizations for three days in a row, and in North Carolina only 13% of the state's ICU beds are available due to severe COVID-19 cases. Houston's mayor said the city was ready to turn its NFL stadium into a make-shift hospital if necessary.

Arizona has seen a record number of hospitalizations at 1,291. The state health director told hospitals this week to activate emergency plans and increase ICU capacity. About three-quarters of the state's ICU beds are filled, according to the state website.

Health experts worry there could be a further rise in infections from nationwide protests over racial injustice and police brutality that packed people together starting two weeks ago."

I think that because of the autonomy of the States, the reaction and lockdown timing was pretty varied. Had a very quick Google and Florida looks to be a bit of an outlier with later lockdown than others, even keeping the beaches open for quite a while. Of course, there was plenty of news footage of Americans gathering and protesting against the restrictions but whether they were in these States I simply can't remember. And yes, the protests obviously won't help in reducing cases.   

Such a confusing crisis. One minute the R rate is everything. Then its testing. Then its the health service being overwhelmed. Obviously testing being offered to so many will reveal many more cases. But the seriousness of these cases means the health service may struggle again.

A second wave in the UK in the near future looks evens at moment. As has been said October may well be a pinch point. I do ebvisage masks being compulsory then if the antibody tests don't reveal anything about immunity.

@Mark Y

Yes comparisons between what happens in different countries is proving to be impossible, and  ditto Stateside between different states.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

I think that because of the autonomy of the States, the reaction and lockdown timing was pretty varied. Had a very quick Google and Florida looks to be a bit of an outlier with later lockdown than others, even keeping the beaches open for quite a while. Of course, there was plenty of news footage of Americans gathering and protesting against the restrictions but whether they were in these States I simply can't remember. And yes, the protests obviously won't help in reducing cases.   

I think the point is that a so called 'second' wave will almost certainly happen if we let it. The virus hasn't really changed its spots (cf. the 'Italian doctors) else we'd see mortality/morbidity changes elsewhere as in these areas where it's still increasing - it's just waiting to pounce here again too. Sure it's already 'had' sadly the low hanging fruit but we must keep our guard up. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

The most deprived parts of England and Wales have been hit twice as hard by coronavirus as wealthier areas, the Office for National Statistics said.

Shock news that will have Number 10 wondering how. Probably wondering how it isn't ten times.

So, this is confusing. Am I reading this correctly? We've been wasting our time when this 'tunnel' is available and it "zaps Covid-19 away in seconds".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8414325/Premier-League-bosses-talks-install-sterilisation-tunnel-claims-KILL-coronavirus.html#comments

Chairman David Roberts, who has been in talks with a number of major venues, told The Sun: 'You walk through the tunnel and at the end you know you are 100 per cent sanitised.

'The spray is neutral and kills coronavirus dead. It means everyone who enters a stadium knows that they don't have coronavirus on them and nor does anyone else.

'If everyone is wearing a mask too it means the few that might have the virus aren't going to spread it either.'

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

So, this is confusing. Am I reading this correctly? We've been wasting our time when this 'tunnel' is available and it "zaps Covid-19 away in seconds".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8414325/Premier-League-bosses-talks-install-sterilisation-tunnel-claims-KILL-coronavirus.html#comments

Chairman David Roberts, who has been in talks with a number of major venues, told The Sun: 'You walk through the tunnel and at the end you know you are 100 per cent sanitised.

'The spray is neutral and kills coronavirus dead. It means everyone who enters a stadium knows that they don't have coronavirus on them and nor does anyone else.

'If everyone is wearing a mask too it means the few that might have the virus aren't going to spread it either.'

Sounds like a load of squit to me.

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Sounds like something from Captain Scarlet!

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think the point is that a so called 'second' wave will almost certainly happen if we let it. The virus hasn't really changed its spots (cf. the 'Italian doctors) else we'd see mortality/morbidity changes elsewhere as in these areas where it's still increasing - it's just waiting to pounce here again too. Sure it's already 'had' sadly the low hanging fruit but we must keep our guard up. 

I think, assuming these Italian Doctors are correct (and they ought to know !!), that there maybe something around the virus losing it's potency in each country/area in turn. I'm trying to explain what I mean, but it's like at full strength when it first takes hold in a country, then it does it's "thing" before losing it's potency.

I can't think of another reason why this "viral loading" should have changed so much ??

Anyway, I have added the link below in case you wanted to have a nose at it yourself.

Italian Doctors

3 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

I think, assuming these Italian Doctors are correct (and they ought to know !!), that there maybe something around the virus losing it's potency in each country/area in turn. I'm trying to explain what I mean, but it's like at full strength when it first takes hold in a country, then it does it's "thing" before losing it's potency.

I can't think of another reason why this "viral loading" should have changed so much ??

Anyway, I have added the link below in case you wanted to have a nose at it yourself.

Italian Doctors

Thanks Mark - yes I saw that a few weeks back and although I've always said that it should evolve to be more infectious but less 'potent'  (just natural selection)  still think there is a huge heap of wishful thinking in that Italian observation - It was also dismissed as premature by WHO - but hey - if its true more data will prove and that will be good. I'm not holding my breath though. There are several simpler explanations - earlier diagnosis, better treatments, the most susceptible already 'passed' etc.

• Like 1

More Cummings related shame on the governments handling of the virus. Seems like the Chief Nurse was dropped  from the daily briefings for refusing to spout what the government wanted her to say on Cummings. Really brings into question the integrity of those who have appeared. Well done her, shameful business.

• Like 4

Has anybody been asked to join a Government Task Force for Something? I must be the only person not on one. Jet Zero is the latest one or is it a new spokesman for the PM?

I wonder if the slight increase in positive numbers has anything to do with the protests which should be seriously considered before attending during this serious time.

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

More Cummings related shame on the governments handling of the virus. Seems like the Chief Nurse was dropped  from the daily briefings for refusing to spout what the government wanted her to say on Cummings. Really brings into question the integrity of those who have appeared. Well done her, shameful business.

Evidence?