Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

The Scottish plan is reopen schools on the 11th August, eminently sensible as gives time to prepare. This is not the same as England at all and to  claim it is is ridiculous. Currently it appears England doesn't have a plan at all, since the last one collapsed. Just a dream to open schools in September.

Yes, but my understanding is that the Scottish summer holidays are earlier than in england so whilst they plan to return in august this is after the holidays, the same as England.  

I think starting the 20/21 academic year in august was discussed but rejected,but if the holidays were the same I doubt there would be a difference between the two countries.

59 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Poor old Ricardo won't be allowed an Aero or a Bubble Bath.🛀

I socially isolated with my fish and chips from Roughton Chip Shop today.

Then a nice Kelly's ice cream at Sherringham. Barely a soul about. Mind you it was a bit chilly and damp but the sea was quite calm.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Then a nice Kelly's ice cream at Sherringham. Barely a soul about. Mind you it was a bit chilly and damp but the sea was quite calm.

You old Gadabout!!  I'm gonna have fish and chips out for the fist time in months on Friday.  I'm going to  drive about 12 miles , passing two other chippers to get the good one. If I can persuade her to drive I'm gonna take an ice cold staropramen  with me and cut the grease with that. Very much looking forward to this.  Just realised timing coincides with low tide so am gonna dig a few lugworm....as a starter😇

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

You old Gadabout!!  I'm gonna have fish and chips out for the fist time in months on Friday.  I'm going to  drive about 12 miles , passing two other chippers to get the good one. If I can persuade her to drive I'm gonna take an ice cold staropramen  with me and cut the grease with that. Very much looking forward to this.  

The beer is known as Strapon at the Rugby club.

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You old Gadabout!!  I'm gonna have fish and chips out for the fist time in months on Friday.  I'm going to  drive about 12 miles , passing two other chippers to get the good one. If I can persuade her to drive I'm gonna take an ice cold staropramen  with me and cut the grease with that. Very much looking forward to this.  Just realised timing coincides with low tide so am gonna dig a few lugworm....as a starter😇

Fist time?

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No one about because they were pulling down the statue of Thomas Browne because he believed in witchcraft and gave evidence that saw some executed.

Kellys Ice Cream advertises itself as Cornish but was started by two Italians.

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Got a bit sick of the bad weather and being indoors so thought we'd have a bit of a change.

The seas was very calm this afternoon Corky,  a couple of crab boats in the distance and a lone Comorant attempting to dry off at the end if the Groynes. I socially distanced while Mrs R was getting the ice creams but I doubt if I saw more than a dozen people in half an hour. Businesses are obviously struggling and the bloke in the cafe was well togged up with a plastic visor. Trade was obviously extremely slow.

In other good news, the toilets were open.😄

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

No one about because they were pulling down the statue of Thomas Browne because he believed in witchcraft and gave evidence that saw some executed.

Kellys Ice Cream advertises itself as Cornish but was started by two Italians.

Good job we never put up a statue to Big Bob then?

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You sure know how to give a girl a good time...😀

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Got a bit sick of the bad weather and being indoors so thought we'd have a bit of a change.

The seas was very calm this afternoon Corky,  a couple of crab boats in the distance and a lone Comorant attempting to dry off at the end if the Groynes. I socially distanced while Mrs R was getting the ice creams but I doubt if I saw more than a dozen people in half an hour. Businesses are obviously struggling and the bloke in the cafe was well togged up with a plastic visor. Trade was obviously extremely slow.

In other good news, the toilets were open.😄

Little cafe at West Runton  beach doing take aways now, and the little cabin along the promenade at Sherringham

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Little cafe at West Runton  beach doing take aways now, and the little cabin along the promenade at Sherringham

👍

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

You sure know how to give a girl a good time...😀

That's why she loves me, I'm  all glamour and razzamataz. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

The beer is known as Strapon at the Rugby club.

It would be though   wouldn't  it? Do they get naked and 'wrestle' a lot there too.  If not its not a proper rugby  club. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

It would be though   wouldn't  it? Do they get naked and 'wrestle' a lot there too.  If not its not a proper rugby  club. 

I think with todays player's diets, psychological evaluations and play books to learn, I think the most riotous act is beer pong.

As a recognition both the government's and fatboys popularity continue to plummet the apptovsl rate has gone from

52% approval to 32% approval

and

25% disapproval to 49% disapproval

that means a 24% plus in favour has gone to a 17% minus approval in around 5 weeks................. .(lower than even Trump)

Meanwhile fanboys ratings have similarly plunged with just over have saying he is doing a bad job - with Starmer almost the opposite with a 48 % approval rating -to qualify a third of the others are don't knows with Starmer

And while individual incidents can temporarily move the polls either way, the direction is pretty steady downward for fatboy and his government. For righties who find facts and figures a bit too hard to comprehend here is a summary

It seems to me that a total lockdown can never work in the UK at least, and perhaps also in many other countries as well. Vital workers apart, the recent demonstrations have been totally at odds with the 80 days of self-confinement that most of us have had to contend with, as has everything else from beach gatherings on hot days to the antics of the likes of Cummings and various MPs and medics.

The damage to the economy is staggering and everything from the massive national debt to bankruptcies and the closure of businesses that have formed the fabric of society as we have come to know it. I read somewhere that 50% of pubs may never reopen, perhaps more.This will be reflected throughout the small business world and in the high street.Three hundred thousand seamen are stuck at sea. Airlines are going bust. Unemployed people need social security benefits and cannot pay taxes.

Then there is the neglect, or rather deferment, of treatment for people with other serious conditions, particularly cancer patients. The NHS is building up an 8 million strong waiting list apparently

An increase of the rates of suicide, depression, loneliness and domestic violence and crime have resulted from confinement.

Education has virtually come to a stand still in many cases.

We are warned of a second wave of this plague, but we cannot afford another  lockdown such as the one we have just experienced for all the above reasons and many more.

Whilst we wait for that all-conquering anti-viral jab which we hope is nearer to be found than we are often led to believe we have to rely on the various theories about coronavirus, and there are many, such as the fact that it has a shelf life of three months to the fact that it is weakening in strength (according to Italian studies) and the fact that people who show no symptoms may not be as infectious as once thought. Herd immunity might actually exist.

Social distancing whenever possible and the wearing of face masks and perhaps other protection equipment will need become the norm for some time to come, but should we get another wave then all efforts must be concentrated upon protecting the most vulnerable whilst the rest of society carries on as normal as is possible.

It seems to me that there will be no alternative as the collateral damage of a repeat of the last 80 days will be too destructive to contemplate.

Hopefully our slow-witted government will have learnt many lessons by then as well and things will be handled better.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

It seems to me that a total lockdown can never work in the UK at least, and perhaps also in many other countries as well. Vital workers apart, the recent demonstrations have been totally at odds with the 80 days of self-confinement that most of us have had to contend with, as has everything else from beach gatherings on hot days to the antics of the likes of Cummings and various MPs and medics.

The damage to the economy is staggering and everything from the massive national debt to bankruptcies and the closure of businesses that have formed the fabric of society as we have come to know it. I read somewhere that 50% of pubs may never reopen, perhaps more.This will be reflected throughout the small business world and in the high street.Three hundred thousand seamen are stuck at sea. Airlines are going bust. Unemployed people need social security benefits and cannot pay taxes.

Then there is the neglect, or rather deferment, of treatment for people with other serious conditions, particularly cancer patients. The NHS is building up an 8 million strong waiting list apparently

An increase of the rates of suicide, depression, loneliness and domestic violence and crime have resulted from confinement.

Education has virtually come to a stand still in many cases.

We are warned of a second wave of this plague, but we cannot afford another  lockdown such as the one we have just experienced for all the above reasons and many more.

Whilst we wait for that all-conquering anti-viral jab which we hope is nearer to be found than we are often led to believe we have to rely on the various theories about coronavirus, and there are many, such as the fact that it has a shelf life of three months to the fact that it is weakening in strength (according to Italian studies) and the fact that people who show no symptoms may not be as infectious as once thought. Herd immunity might actually exist.

Social distancing whenever possible and the wearing of face masks and perhaps other protection equipment will need become the norm for some time to come, but should we get another wave then all efforts must be concentrated upon protecting the most vulnerable whilst the rest of society carries on as normal as is possible.

It seems to me that there will be no alternative as the collateral damage of a repeat of the last 80 days will be too destructive to contemplate.

Hopefully our slow-witted government will have learnt many lessons by then as well and things will be handled better.

A thoughtful post B that covers lots of angles. I'm sure too it's why there is a lot of pressure on the 2 metre guideline because the government knows it isn't compatible with restarting economic life. France has introduced 1m. The OECD has yesterday given a gloomy prospect for the UK.

There is a decent article by Sridhar in the online Guardian about handling any second wave.

The one hope is that test, track and trace really becomes excellent. I remain to be convinced, yet hope remains eternal.

You'd hope too we learn ahead. To really learn though (as in any walk of life) you have to gain some self-awareness and perspective. With this comes acceptance (and humility) then you build on this. I'm not of the view that we have that kind of society, let alone this particular government. If we did, you could start to respect such leadership, whatever your political colour.

Edited by sonyc

Thanks.

It's an enormous dilemna (sorry dilemma.)

A balancing act between the damage to the economy, society and the health service and the health of the vulnerable.

Worst of all we now have this:

Queen's reign is 'effectively over' due to Covid-19 because it's 'too risky' for her to resume her job - and the virus has 'practically put Charles on the throne', royal biographer Andrew Morton claims.

Edited by BroadstairsR

A study from a Professor of Statistical Science at Bristol University suggesting that we shouldn't have locked down at all.

The infection rate had already peaked and was heading down before we locked down.............. make of it what you will  🙂

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.02090.pdf

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

A thoughtful post B that covers lots of angles. I'm sure too it's why there is a lot of pressure on the 2 metre guideline because the government knows it isn't compatible with restarting economic life. France has introduced 1m. The OECD has yesterday given a gloomy prospect for the UK.

There is a decent article by Sridhar in the online Guardian about handling any second wave.

The one hope is that test, track and trace really becomes excellent. I remain to be convinced, yet hope remains eternal.

You'd hope too we learn ahead. To really learn though (as in any walk of life) you have to gain some self-awareness and perspective. With this comes acceptance (and humility) then you build on this. I'm not of the view that we have that kind of society, let alone this particular government. If we did, you could start to respect such leadership, whatever your political colour.

Where, anywhere in the world is this second wave. Everywhere appears to be having a long slow tail but no appreciable second wave.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Where, anywhere in the world is this second wave. Everywhere appears to be having a long slow tail but no appreciable second wave.

That will be a response to people being in greater risk ie closer contact.

And given that many are still staying a 'safe' distance it may take a while - but come the autumn when far more will be indoors for longer, there is every thought that we will see an increase* in deaths..........be patient.

* increase...surely you mean spike, do keep up with the hip new jive Daddio

Edited by Bill

30 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Let's just hope the UK doesn't buck the trend then.

If we do have one Sridhar believes we can handle it.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Thanks.

It's an enormous dilemna (sorry dilemma.)

A balancing act between the damage to the economy, society and the health service and the health of the vulnerable.

Worst of all we now have this:

Queen's reign is 'effectively over' due to Covid-19 because it's 'too risky' for her to resume her job - and the virus has 'practically put Charles on the throne', royal biographer Andrew Morton claims.

I guess she has 'done okay' even remotely given her few statements (and zoom today)!

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

That will be a response to people being in greater risk ie closer contact.

And given that many are still staying a 'safe' distance it may take a while - but come the autumn when far more will be indoors for longer, there is every thought that we will see an increase* in deaths..........be patient.

* increase...surely you mean spike, do keep up with the hip new jive Daddio

Increase in infections, probably yes.

Anyway, just in case you get lucky Billy-

4:05pm

New Yorkers encouraged to wear masks while having **** to stop spread of the coronavirus

The New York City Health Department has encouraged people to wear masks while having **** to stop the spread of Covid-19, Nick Allen reports from Washington.

Edited by Van wink

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Let's just hope the UK doesn't buck the trend then.

If we do have one Sridhar believes we can handle it.

Spent most of today contact tracing, or should I say banging my head against a brick wall!!

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Yes, it is a good post. Without trying to make an anti-UK/government point, it does seem some countries/societies do have more of a collective spirit and/or faith in their leaders. The danger is this becomes unquestioning of authority.

One of the comments a while back that struck me (and this may be relevant to whether there is or is not a second wave)  was some expert saying no two pandemics are alike. And the current head of the Swedish response was criticised by his predecessor for basing their plan on previous pandemics.

But if no two are alike that is no help in making any kind of plan. Probably the best option is to assume the latest will be like the last, but be prepared for it not to be. If that is possible.

Re a second wave, I see Fauci in the US, who apparently hasn't been consulted by Trump in weeks, certainly expects a second wave, probably triggered by Trump restarting those rallies of his.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, it is a good post. Without trying to make an anti-UK/government point, it does seem some countries/societies do have more of a collective spirit and/or faith in their leaders. The danger is this becomes unquestioning of authority.

One of the comments a while back that struck me (and this may be relevant to whether there is or is not a second wave)  was some expert saying no two pandemics are alike. And the current head of the Swedish response was criticised by his predecessor for basing their plan on previous pandemics.

But if no two are alike that is no help in making any kind of plan. Probably the best option is to assume the latest will be like the last, but be prepared for it not to be. If that is possible.

Re a second wave, I see Fauci in the US, who apparently hasn't been consulted by Trump in weeks, certainly expects a second wave, probably triggered by Trump restarting those rallies of his.

I keep reading about how strange C19 is in its varying after effects ...  reports cover a range of the possible long term health problems of having had it. A second 'wave' might well be experienced in the health service through related C19 complications. As you've intimated so much is unknown.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

nah, word from Lords is that Charles will only come in as a nightwatchman

with Phil on 99 and Liz on 94, they'll both want to bat on for their centuries before any declaration is made

Andrew is already back in the pavilion and Edward is rumoured to bat for the other side

so how long before the King Carlos of Spain look alike steps up to the crease ?

SEX HOLLANDS: JUAN CARLOS, PRINCE WILLIAM, KING BHUMIBOL

Edited by Bill