Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not social distancing is like eating chocolate or eating fast food......you can be told its bad for you but you carry on doing it anyway. The trouble is if you don't make an attempt to social distance, it is risking the health of others.

It is more like drink driving - you not only put yourself at risk but others as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

55 UK deaths today

Nothing to do with me. I was at work all day. And I have witnesses. 

• Haha 1

Speaking to Brother in Law in Spain this morning andhe there had been no deaths yesterday. Although I do believe they don't count every day.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anybody who wants to erase history is stupid. It happened. Judging it is fine but denying it makes you no different than David Irving.

I would have put up another statue next to existing one. The second statue telling the other half of the story and inviting all viewers to challenge their own preconceptions and draw their own conclusions.

We are all prone, unwittingly or otherwise, to divide into tribes and see facts only through our own prism and a reminder that bias can quickly turn into prejudice is always timely...

57 minutes ago, Badger said:

It is more like drink driving - you not only put yourself at risk but others as well.

The same could be said for going to any football match ever. (Or any other social gathering.)

Edited by Aggy

When this is all over I believe many who have benefitted from he furlough and thus still have employment will remember it was the government’s response to the economic aspect of the pandemic that saved them. The development of a vaccine, successful or not, benefitted from early government funding. That the NHS wasn’t swamped was thanks to the government‘s determination to flatten the curve. So while the government and PHE have been at fault especially in looking after care homes, testing and PPE they have also performed well in other areas and most of the public will see that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Herman said:

Nothing to do with me. I was at work all day. And I have witnesses. 

excellent news all round

45 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Boris isn't even popular at his alma mater anymore.

If the video is current then I assume he thinks he is immune as well. No mask and not 2 metres from his driver/bodyguard.

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, I don't think that is at odds with my post. Much of what I was talking about was pre-Cummings, with the tone already set that the rules were too vague, which encouraged and facilitated selfish stupidity. Now, as you say, he is a convenient excuse, but the overall problem of vagueness remains.

I've said it many times Boris and Co were t8o iffy about the rules in UK . Reasonable distance Ha!! What's wrong with 2km then 5 km then county  wide as we were TOLD over here. WTF does " people can now travel to .. ummm .... other places' actually mean to someone who is hard of thinking and determined not to do what is right by others. Very poor, gutless in fact, leadership. Then again anyone with half a brain could see that before he was elected. Best of luck UK. You are gonna need it with that Turkey at the helm. 

You still owe me an apology  Billo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

When this is all over I believe many who have benefitted from he furlough and thus still have employment will remember it was the government’s response to the economic aspect of the pandemic that saved them. The development of a vaccine, successful or not, benefitted from early government funding. That the NHS wasn’t swamped was thanks to the government‘s determination to flatten the curve. So while the government and PHE have been at fault especially in looking after care homes, testing and PPE they have also performed well in other areas and most of the public will see that.

One in every ten deaths globally has been in the UK

Less than one in every hundred globally lives in the UK

There can be no gratitude to those who caused that grotesque number of deaths - only gratitude to those who fought and worked hard to save so many

And an eternal debt to those who lost their lives doing it - so you can shove your weasel words

Fatboy - get him gone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kick it off said:

Boris isn't even popular at his alma mater anymore.

This is not going to die away.

The fat fraud will be held responsible, and the levels of unemployment coming have not been experienced by most under 50.

And those over 50 are in for a wake up call as well, as the lies over brexit are becoming clearer by the day

ps I wonder if the gormless gutbucket dined on chlorinated chicken, or was the meal provided by those having to feed millions of those too poor to  be able feed themselves ?

far cough fatty

A quick prompt, more users are needed in the East of England for this app to help get more accurate data for our region. i know many posters already report. If you download the app and start reporting everyday you are helping to provide good up to date data which is always important and may become more so as the future spread of Covid is tracked. You also get free access to really good research papers and webinars from Kings College London who are analysing the data 

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Speaking to Brother in Law in Spain this morning andhe there had been no deaths yesterday. Although I do believe they don't count every day.

Spain has handled the lockdown properly, unlike the UK. Below is a message from some friends of mine,  explaining how strong leadership has controlled the pandemic, with no flip-flopping, no deceit, and no spin. They laugh about Cummings and his lies. My friends are scared to return to the UK, which is so sad.

'We’ve had a very strict lockdown. Couldn’t go out at all for the first 7 weeks apart from 1 weekly visit to the nearest shop. Only 1 in a car. After 7 weeks we were allowed 1 walk a day for 1 hour between 7/8 pm only. Police checking. Army on all main exits. Now on day 84 of special measures we are much more free. Can now go to the beach & the time slots have been removed. Restaurant can now serve outside at 50% capacity. However although sad there were only been 37 deaths in the whole of Spain last week & only 409 new infections. So the lockdown has worked really well. We normally spend 6 months here over the winter but at the moment seeing the horrible deaths still & people on the beaches plus these protests sadly we are not rushing back. Our family feels we are much safer here. Sorry about the rant. However I really don’t think the lockdown in the Uk has been taken seriously enough. I know you wished you hadn’t asked.'

• Thanks 2

It's a similar story we've heard from a relation in New Zealand where the lockdown was immediate, specific and tough. It was really hard for a 71 year-old cousin for six weeks. However, New Zealand is now virus-free and life has pretty much returned to normal. Population of 5 million. Deaths 22. You do the math. 

• Thanks 1

It makes these new ridiculous quarantine rules redundant. Who would risk coming here at the moment?! 

It is not a shambles - the government knows what it is doing 🤪

"Plans for all primary schools children to return to school in England before the summer holidays are set to be abandoned by the government due to concerns over social distancing."

Clear instructions for schools, and quarantine have been issued insist the government

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIuC--xXMXI

and the UK's current death total is higher than that all other European countries combined

5 hours ago, Pugin said:

Spain has handled the lockdown properly, unlike the UK. Below is a message from some friends of mine,  explaining how strong leadership has controlled the pandemic, with no flip-flopping, no deceit, and no spin. They laugh about Cummings and his lies. My friends are scared to return to the UK, which is so sad.

'We’ve had a very strict lockdown. Couldn’t go out at all for the first 7 weeks apart from 1 weekly visit to the nearest shop. Only 1 in a car. After 7 weeks we were allowed 1 walk a day for 1 hour between 7/8 pm only. Police checking. Army on all main exits. Now on day 84 of special measures we are much more free. Can now go to the beach & the time slots have been removed. Restaurant can now serve outside at 50% capacity. However although sad there were only been 37 deaths in the whole of Spain last week & only 409 new infections. So the lockdown has worked really well. We normally spend 6 months here over the winter but at the moment seeing the horrible deaths still & people on the beaches plus these protests sadly we are not rushing back. Our family feels we are much safer here. Sorry about the rant. However I really don’t think the lockdown in the Uk has been taken seriously enough. I know you wished you hadn’t asked.'

Similar to the comparison I was making yesterday between France and the UK. The lockdown rules in France seem to have been a bit more severe than in the UK but the crucial point, as obviously with Spain, was that they were clearly set out, rather than vague, as in the UK. So people knew what was permissable and also knew, because of their clarity and the police presence, that if they broke the rules they would not be able to argue their way out of it. A recipe for the rules being followed.

But at least the government has sorted out the quarantine at the airports 🙄

"Some passengers were surprised by the lack of physical screening for the virus.  Fiona Gathright, 59, travelled from Washington DC and will be living in Bristol with her fiance, who had flown in from Hong Kong. 

“They didn’t even do a temperature check at either end, not in Washington before we got on the flight and not in London when we got off the flight,” she said.  “Somebody could have been on the flight with a 100-plus temperature and gotten off and gone on their merry way.”"

Get rid of Fatboy

3 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

It's a similar story we've heard from a relation in New Zealand where the lockdown was immediate, specific and tough. It was really hard for a 71 year-old cousin for six weeks. However, New Zealand is now virus-free and life has pretty much returned to normal. Population of 5 million. Deaths 22. You do the math. 

Not knocking it, but NZ is a big country with a small population, self sufficient in food supplies so no need for imports, so much easier to lock down, but they did take the kind of steps I wish our government had.  We could have had an instant lockdown, but then to a certain extent the damage was done with people flying back from short hop skiing trips - there are no short hop flights in NZ, except from Oz.  Much congratulations to them though, they have nipped it in the bud, but much as I think our government has been all at seas with this, to think we could have had the same success as NZ, is just wishful thinking.  

• Like 1

I fully accept that we couldn't replicate the success they've had in NZ Lakey but there's one heck of a difference between their death rate and ours. My cousin made the point several times that the vast majority of the population in NZ trust the PM and when she said, in very clear terms, this is what we must do, the people did it, with few exceptions. And the penalties for non-compliance made people think twice before breaking the rules. 

5 hours ago, Pugin said:

'

Is this the same Spain where the number of deaths per thousand population is virtually the same as the Uk? 

Edit: not making any excuses for our government but not convinced Spain is the best example of somewhere doing things significantly better than us!

Edited by Aggy

I think the difference is that Spain didn't realise how big a problem they had until too late. We could see it coming and still did little. 

13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Is this the same Spain where the number of deaths per thousand population is virtually the same as the Uk? 

Edit: not making any excuses for our government but not convinced Spain is the best example of somewhere doing things significantly better than us!

The Spanish death figures are very odd.  Lower death rate than any other large European nation despite being the worst hit at one point and having a similar strategy to france and italy.

Could be that the virus was in a few hotspots and not able to permeate out in the way it did in the UK from London (possibly due to Spains geography and population distribution?) Or maybe there is another explanation for the figures?

6 hours ago, Pugin said:

The Spanish people are not of the same view, they are generally highly critical of Sanchez.