Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No mention of Pinkun Posters in there then?

Not sure if you've read R but main focus is on affects of working in ICUs and how nurses especially have struggled with sleep etc.

I'm wondering though if your comment was about several actual posters on this thread? I think we can all get upset reading stuff or annoyed (Cummings) but the article was relating to stress relating to their clinical practice, similar I guess to armed forces personnel 

11 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Dominic Cummings did break lockdown rules when he made a 50-mile journey to Barnard Castle, an investigation by Durham Police has concluded.

The Prime Minister’s most senior aide claimed he made the trip on Easter Sunday, with his wife and four-year-old son, to check he was fit to drive after suffering coronavirus-related eyesight problems.

Mr Cummings insisted he had acted “lawfully and reasonably” at all times when he made the 260-mile journey from London to Durham to self-isolate at his parents’ farm at the end of March.

But The Telegraph has learned that an investigation by Durham Police has concluded he did commit a "minor breach" of the guidelines when he drove to Barnard Castle on April 12.

However the force, which according to the most recent data, has issued 137 fines for lockdown breaches, said it would not be taking any further action against Mr Cummings.

Two people were fined in early April travelling up to Durham from London though!

1 hour ago, SteveN8458 said:

Just a quick Question:

How many of you who are unhappy about the governments handling of the Cummings situation have taken the time to email your MP to voice your thoughts/concerns?

And yes I have.

Unfortunately my local MP was doing the rounds at the weekend and is now neck deep in it. Would it be worth my time? 

4 hours ago, Van wink said:

Anybody seen Emily Maitlis?

Allegedly getting her hair done including a manicure/pedicure all paid for by the Newsnight producer and its team as a token of their high esteem..... 

I kind of agree with Lakey that Cummings might we'll have believed his circumstsnces were exceptional making them mitigating. But that's where the vicars excellent question about fairness comes into play. Unless the only mitigating circumstances are an exact replica of Cummings' other people may well have broken the rules through circumstances that they believed were exceptional.

Now that it appears the rules are in context of what an individual believes is exceptional circumstances then other cases deserve to be reviewed under that pretext.

It's not about 'getting Cummings' it's about fairness for all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Send it to VAR.

Of course people are now saying we are being pedantic and calling it a witch hunt.

Well being pedantic, its a warlock hunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three quarters of the population and people from all aspects of the political spectrum think he did wrong and should go. It's not to 'get' him from any particular angle

• Haha 1

Palpable smell of panic coming out of the government now, but why does it matter?

It matters because they are making Covid lockdown decisions for reasons of political advantage rather than to control the pandemic.

Any capable government would be planning to loosen the lockdown based on the science and what is practical. Instead lockdown is collapsing around our ears. There is no date for the app, which has fundamental design flaws. Track & Trace is launched today, but won't be fully operational until the end of June yet the schools are supposed to ramp up on Monday.

Much better to plan for a wider opening at the beginning of July when the R number is lower and everything is in place.

Chaos

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I kind of agree with Lakey that Cummings might we'll have believed his circumstsnces were exceptional making them mitigating. But that's where the vicars excellent question about fairness comes into play. Unless the only mitigating circumstances are an exact replica of Cummings' other people may well have broken the rules through circumstances that they believed were exceptional.

Now that it appears the rules are in context of what an individual believes is exceptional circumstances then other cases deserve to be reviewed under that pretext.

I believe that it’s his and the bumbling buffoons lack of humility for doing the wrong thing, has Cummings come out and apologised for making the wrong choices then this would have blown over, but to be so flippant with the British public and then the 90 minutes of top story telling never once saying he was sorry just killed this government in my book. The polls show the result of this ****e.

Now things like the food standards changed to suit the US trade deals won’t be overlooked either. Dead men walking, in my book. 

Keir Starmer has played a blinder by not jumping all over this, he’s a very astute politician, distanced himself and let everyone else get on with it....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Unfortunately my local MP was doing the rounds at the weekend and is now neck deep in it. Would it be worth my time? 

you can have a copy of my reply, I suspect they are all much the same

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52835982

Is it a breach? If it is, it doesn't matter if it is minor or major

Also I would have thought there was a motoring offence or two they could have stuck him with as well - surely if you are unsure whether you eyesight is good enough for driving then absolutely the last thing you do is drive your bl**dy car on public roads with your wife and child as passengers!!!!

I don't normally like to quote the Daily Mail but for once they were spot on - what planet do these people think they are on?

51 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You would expect that to be the case PC.

DAG is now working this up into a wider piece that examines how the Cummings/Wakefield explanation evolved over the six weeks between when the Guardian first contacted them for clarification and the release of the story. Seems like they fed a variety of different variations into the press, some alledgedly via Laura Keunssberg. Not clear why although two leading explanations are they were seeing how each played out and/or it then allowed them to claim the press had misreported the story (even though they were the source of the misinformation). Looking forward to that.

Personally I think Johnson has invested too much in this to let Cummings go but this is not going away. Suits too many people, the drip drip drip of Johnson losing support. By the end of June what price on Labout polling ahead of the Tories?

Thanks BF. Just had a quick scroll through DAG's twitter account. It depends on the chronology of this, but it could be that The Spectator articles start to appear even more of a mistake than they do now. As an FT subscriber I will look forward to to the finished article. As an aside I think we can add Suella Braverman as a serious contender for Stupidest Member of the Johnson Government award.

I go backwards and forwards on whether Johnson will sack Cummings. If it turned out Cummings' statement was false in some way that would be the final straw. Thinking back, I cannot recall a political problem quite like this. Ministers get sacked for implementing dumb policies, but then the solution is also to change the policy, or at least sugarcoat it. Or sacked for opposing a key government policy.

But Cummings is in danger because his continued presence in government threatens to undermine the only government policy/issue/crisis that matters at the moment, and a policy/issue/crisis that in very broad terms has united the government and the country, with Cummings all the while, like it or not, a crucial player in dealing with the policy/issue/crisis.

The key statement is this.

"Durham Constabulary does not consider that by locating himself at his father's premises, Mr Cummings committed an offence."

Ive torn up my betting slip.

People beginning to question the lockdown everywhere.

If you don't make stuff

There is no stuff

Well I'm off around Emily's house with a huge TV screen and all my mates to shout at her to resign!

Our turn for two minutes of hate!!!

You lost Brexit, you lost the election, you will lose Emily

But we're winners so we'll keep Dominic, even if he resigns 😉

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Three quarters of the population and people from all aspects of the political spectrum think he did wrong and should go. It's not to 'get' him from any particular angle

Hahaha, that sums it up for me. Captures very funnily and angrily  what people I speak to think anyway.

Thanks for brightening up this thread.

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

you can have a copy of my reply, I suspect they are all much the same

Check the Telegraph and Argus for mine (and he is an objectionable MP on many levels but at least he has caught the mood with his letter)

At the start of the pandemic , the NHS hotline was overwhelmed

You only knew that if you knew people who were sick, my brother was very sick. Thank you for your famous lefty empathy.

Bill , apparently I'm now RTB. You need help , did you forget already, maybe you have dementia.

For those that wonder why I described the reaction as outrage!

Wall to wall coverage by MSM , 360 k signatures on a petition to get a man sacked in 3 days.

People in DC's Street shouting abuse, a toxic media scrum all breaking social distancing.

So let's compare this to say, the grooming gangs report.

120k signatures over 2 to 3 months

One little article in the independent

Read this , sign this and share this, it's time for some perspective

http://chng.it/ThfDgtBZRC

56 minutes ago, Herman said:

In my opinion, YES it is worth your time to remind your MP that they rely on the vote of their constituents of which you are 1:)

I got a standard reply From Chloe Smith:

"it may take me up to two weeks to reply to your email fully."

@nutty nigel Nothing to do with agreement or disagreement, he accused me of having two accounts and not for the first time.

Maybe I shouldn't of used dementia as a reason of why he has such a short memory.

Not meant as an insult to people who suffer with it so sorry for that

Edited by Bagster
Add tag
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bagster said:

At the start of the pandemic , the NHS hotline was overwhelmed

You only knew that if you knew people who were sick, my brother was very sick. Thank you for your famous lefty empathy.

Bill , apparently I'm now RTB. You need help , did you forget already, maybe you have dementia.

For those that wonder why I described the reaction as outrage!

Wall to wall coverage by MSM , 360 k signatures on a petition to get a man sacked in 3 days.

People in DC's Street shouting abuse, a toxic media scrum all breaking social distancing.

So let's compare this to say, the grooming gangs report.

120k signatures over 2 to 3 months

One little article in the independent

Read this , sign this and share this, it's time for some perspective

http://chng.it/ThfDgtBZRC

You clearly aren't that outraged at the lack of attention that child abuse is facing. You haven't used a single exclamation mark!

In all seriousness, I find it very distasteful to draw child abuse into any sort of comparison, not least from someone so happy to trivialise dementia.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You clearly aren't that outraged at the lack of attention that child abuse is facing. You haven't used a single exclamation mark!

In all seriousness, I find it very distasteful to draw child abuse into any sort of comparison, not least from someone so happy to trivialise dementia.

So no MSM coverage v wall to wall coverage

I think it's a very apt example of the OTT reaction

I apologise if your offended

7 minutes ago, Bagster said:

@nutty nigel Nothing to do with agreement or disagreement, he accused me of having two accounts and not for the first time.

Maybe I shouldn't of used dementia as a reason of why he has such a short memory.

Not meant as an insult to people who suffer with it so sorry for that

I'm a bit touchy about it Bagster. Probably shouldn't have posted, wasnt meant as an attack on you. It just gave me the opportunity to fight their corner I guess. I've learned so much about it in the last few years and wish the education I've had went to a wider audience.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm a bit touchy about it Bagster. Probably shouldn't have posted, wasnt meant as an attack on you. It just gave me the opportunity to fight their corner I guess. I've learned so much about it in the last few years and wish the education I've had went to a wider audience.

Me too NN. Lots of good training. 

No harm in posting such stuff.

Here's the rub.

Law Makers can't be Law Breakers.

Yet that's what Cummings and by the PMs and Cabinet defence of such are. The rules and laws that they worded. Let alone the pathetic cover-up.

I regard myself as law abiding yet I will not now accept any edict, unless I deem it sensible from such low life. I have standards of behaviour to uphold even if they clearly don't.

That's the size of the damage they have done to their credibility in anything!

Edited by Yellow Fever

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You were right to pull me up, my grandad suffered from it so I should know better.