Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

I have a suggestion to make. That all those who are still trying to construct some kind of defence of Cummings just stop. There is no valid defence. His own press conference was an admission that he deliberately broke his government's own rules without a valid reason, while hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions even, of ordinary people, with far greater cause to break the rules, were willing to suffer in order to obey them.

Just stop and then those posters who have to come on here and dismantle these absurd attempts at a defence will be able to stop also, and this thread can get back to what barbe bleu sensibly wants, which is a discussion about the virus and what can and should be done about it.

• Thanks 4

Anyone who has been out will know that Bertie the buffoon is merely trying to open the gate, long after the horse has wandered off. This weekend has seen things as good as back to normal.

Folk are not sticking fancy dress on their faces nor 'social distancing; - how much of the latter is down to Cummings is a moot point.

The only thing that looks certain to be closed is the PL resuming games

Thank god we had some wise heads on here telling us that the PL would not re-start 🤣

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

And hung drawn and quartered if they go to Burger King.

What about Wendy's? Not sure if they ever made it to Norwich but they were my favourite burger ever-even went to their restaurant in Venice on 2 separate trips-you could get a beer there too. They announced last October that they were going to return to the UK-not sure if that will happen now

🍔 🍔 🍔 

26 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

15 june non essential shops allowed to open.   What are peoples thoughts on this? (No one is allowed to bring the conversation back to Cummings by use of the word 'distraction)

If this does happen lockdown will effectively be over as that will leave just pubs, social gatherings and mass events on the naughty list. 

I have noticed that certain companies that had stopped taking online orders have started opening back up- that will make much more of a difference to me in the short term.

I can''t see many people fancying an afternoon shopping in the city center but I could be wrong. 

Fieldwork 22nd to 26th.

I would have expected it to be much closer.

EY88MFdWoAI5Q7k?format=png&name=small

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

What about Wendy's? Not sure if they ever made it to Norwich but they were my favourite burger ever-even went to their restaurant in Venice on 2 separate trips-you could get a beer there too. They announced last October that they were going to return to the UK-not sure if that will happen now

🍔 🍔 🍔 

In N Out were my favourites last time I was in the US.

and Texas Road House for steaks.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I have a suggestion to make. That all those who are still trying to construct some kind of defence of Cummings just stop. There is no valid defence. His own press conference was an admission that he deliberately broke his government's own rules without a valid reason, while hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions even, of ordinary people, with far greater cause to break the rules, were willing to suffer in order to obey them.

Just stop and then those posters who have to come on here and dismantle these absurd attempts at a defence will be able to stop also, and this thread can get back to what barbe bleu sensibly wants, which is a discussion about the virus and what can and should be done about it.

I have a suggestion. That you stop posting your opinions as fact.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I have noticed that certain companies that had stopped taking online orders have started opening back up- that will make much more of a difference to me in the short term.

I can''t see many people fancying an afternoon shopping in the city center but I could be wrong. 

Grosvenor Chipshop in the city are good and will deliver.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just stop and then those posters who have to come on here and dismantle these absurd attempts at a defence will be able to stop also, and this thread can get back to what barbe bleu sensibly wants, which is a discussion about the virus and what can and should be done about i

And you think those toadies are putting up their guff as part of reasoned thought about what happened ?

They are righties - just as in the US where pastors tell them they can blow the virus away, where their President tells them they should try injecting disinfectant and many still claim that it is all a Democrat hoax.

If it is not reasoned thought that led to them into their absurd nonsense, then it certainly won't be reasoned argument that gets them out.

Best just to enjoy reading the contradictory sh yte they post up

34 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yeh, fair point about the Euros  🙂

I think the quarantine will be rescinded by July 1st, stupid thing to do. Could understand if they had announced that anybody coming in from some countries (eg most of South America) would be subject to quarantine for the immediate future but to apply it to countries that are ahead of us in dealing with the virus is simply stupid.

Are we at level 3 yet in the government's plan? I'm assuming we are on 1st June. By July, we could see some outdoor events starting and even restaurants/cafes. 

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Are we at level 3 yet in the government's plan? I'm assuming we are on 1st June. By July, we could see some outdoor events starting and even restaurants/cafes. 

What about beer gardens with table service? 

For Ron

Cummings states he went to his parents farm so that his sister in law was available to shop for them but also who the child could go to if they had to self isolate.

When the child became ill, the Mother took him to the hospital and Cummings sat in the car. Why when someone knows they had Covid 19 do they willingly go into a hospital when they were only in that area so the sister in law could provide the care for the child.

So the Mother knowingly entered a Hospital with the virus. 

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is the public that is leading this, with Johnson trailing behind.

Informing the public what they can do in a few weeks time, when they are already doing it encapsulate  his almost complete emasculation as PM.

The police no longer have the authority (or interest I would venture) to enforce rules that are now held in contempt, It is fast becoming a case of '...if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I ?'

Likewise much of the goodwill also appears to be evaporating. The 'Pick for Britain' idea will no longer be seen as  an 'all in this together' necessity, but an imposition by those who were responsible for the labour shortage.

What happens from here on will not be a top down guidance, but a bottom up determining, And were there a need to impose further restrictions in the coming months there will be far greater resistance, and non compliance.

This is the weekend when Johnson lost the backing of the people - as those actually outside will attest

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

He is clearly in a privileged position, & I think that's where the anger is coming from (that was clearly so from the journalists interviewing him).

This ^^^

If anyone is surprised at a rich person taking advantage of their situation and looking after themselves first, then they haven't been paying attention to how privilege tends to work. The problem with Cummings is that although his family being well off with a cottage on a farm to be able to go to, there is evidence of extenuating circumstances too.  Many people do not have that outlet and have to make do and there are of course so many harrowing stories about that.  So what is compounding Cummings' problem is that he is in a position of advantage over many of us - and alot of the hype is because he is privileged, not because he broke some rules.  

Add to that he is not a well liked character anyway - mainly because he keeps such a low profile and people are suspicious of him  because of that and as Ron says, the media don't like him. To be fair he doesn't seek to be popular but then he is not a politician and is not there to court popularity. 

In the end, it doesn't matter, he thinks he did the right thing for his family and he will think "why should he apologise for that". He doesn't think he broke any rules because of the extenuating circumstances so he will think "why should I apologise for that", so there is nowhere to go. His bosses have accepted his explanations, so there is no more to say. 

People venting on social media are wasting their energy really. They have a right to do so, but take the emotion out of it and you all you have is a young family able to isolate and feel protected if the worst happened - and it was just for two weeks while people were ill and then return to work as soon as well again. If he has lied about the whole thing, then so be it, we can't do anything about it - he has given his version of events and that is that - and a witch hunt helps nobody.  Keep on about it by all means, if that is what you want to do, but really it's pretty pointless and whether he broke the rules in spirit or in word or in anything else, it's in the past, its old news.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For Ron

Cummings states he went to his parents farm so that his sister in law was available to shop for them but also who the child could go to if they had to self isolate.

When the child became ill, the Mother took him to the hospital and Cummings sat in the car. Why when someone knows they had Covid 19 do they willingly go into a hospital when they were only in that area so the sister in law could provide the care for the child.

They suspected the child had Covid too. What are the procedures in those circumstances? How do you get a child to hospital? I'd imagine the hospital would have procedures in place which would apply to the mother as well as the child. At that point getting the niece involved wouldn't have helped - she'd have had to self isolate as well.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Amen to that. Getting tired of people trying to make up excuses for someone clearly taking the **** out of the British public. 

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For Ron

Champion point to clarify other comments (that's why this fable will fail further and catastrophically apart under any 'forensic' questioning).

Apparently we are told the child has tested negtive but neither Mr or Mrs Cummig have been tested at all !

Given the total absurdity and unbelievable myths being spun one wonders now if they ever had Covid at all and it wasn't just a well planned jolly? 

Arh well - let them eat cake.

• Like 1

Schools are opening, Shops are opening, McDonalds are opening and there is a possibility that beer gardens might soon open

Might be a good thing, might be a bad thing, might be a deadly thing. 

Must confess I'm worn down by the DC issue. Over and out for me on this.

It will not blow away easily or perhaps ever, but I think everyone has had their views well and truly communicated.

Only so much I can take before needing some elixir (just seen your cartoon VW so at least a smile there).

Edited by sonyc

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

They suspected the child had Covid too. What are the procedures in those circumstances? How do you get a child to hospital? I'd imagine the hospital would have procedures in place which would apply to the mother as well as the child. At that point getting the niece involved wouldn't have helped - she'd have had to self isolate as well.

So they intentionally put strain on hospitals in the North West, whilst simultaneously also potentially bringing Covid into a hospital that may not have previously been exposed to the disease.  Clearly well within the lockdown rules and regs...

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Keep on about it by all means, if that is what you want to do, but really it's pretty pointless and whether he broke the rules in spirit or in word or in anything else, it's in the past, its old news.

Christ, you are half an idiot.

Him, his wife and No.10 have been caught out lying to cover this up. Only a deluded fool such as yourself imagine that others cannot see what Cummings has even admitted himself.

Those lies and that cover up have broken the trust in the government - but more importantly trust in Johnson

If Cummings had owned up, apologised and resigned it would have been 'tomorrow’s chip paper' - but his belief that he could lie his way out, and continues to do so, is where the real damage is being done.

And the very fact that Johnson seems unable to do anything, bar defending those lies merely compounds the damage. His authority is shot. Have a read of the world's press. They see it the same. A weak man, unable to control an advisor, who has lost the authority of which voter consent gives.

His pronouncements on what measures should be observed are now ignored as the public seems to have decided they will do what they want, not what he instructs. Wales Scotland and NU are already took a different path.

And you bleat 'it is old news' ........................ dear god. It's hard to imagine something more distant to reality than the witless guff you post

ps a suggestion for the clueless righties - have read of what the growing number of Tory MPs who are calling for Cummings to go, are saying. To a man and women they are now echoing my thoughts about this causing a loss of authority and a continual lessening of compliance -  certainly is a continuation of Saturday's supposed foot stamping 😊

Edited by Bill

This I have to share - the Gods have clearly decided to make merry ....

From the Guardian 'live'

"At this stage in the day, this has already been pointed out by many but I thought it should still make the blog.

The saying “Come, come! That’s Barney Castle!” is old Durham slang for “an expression often uttered when a person is heard making a bad excuse in a still worse cause”. In other words, a pathetic excuse for their actions. Do with that what you will."

In 19th century English, the expression ‘Come, come, that’s Barnard Castle!’ was used as a response to someone who had offered a flawed excuse for their actions.

(fr. English Proverbs & Proverbial Phrases: A Historical Dictionary, 1929)

View image on Twitter

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Champion point to clarify other comments (that's why this fable will fail further and catastrophically apart under any 'forensic' questioning).

Apparently we are told the child has tested negtive but neither Mr or Mrs Cummig have been tested at all !

Given the total absurdity and unbelievable myths being spun one wonders now if they ever had Covid at all and it wasn't just a well planned jolly? 

Arh well - let them eat cake.

The point I made earlier that the obvious thing for them to have done straight away, rather than decamping up north, was to stay at home and contact their GP,  or even a doctor connected to the government, and arrange to be tested. Given who he was I (and I am not making a point here) l don't doubt that could have been arranged immediately.

40 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, I think that will happen too sonyc. Terraces could be opened with socially distanced tables (as in Spain) and you could make a point for doing it inside too. No crowds at the bar, table service only and limit on amount of people at one table and the distance between the tables. Has seemed to work in other places.

Edited by Mark .Y.

8 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

So they intentionally put strain on hospitals in the North West, whilst simultaneously also potentially bringing Covid into a hospital that may not have previously been exposed to the disease.  Clearly well within the lockdown rules and regs...

One of the reasons for the lockdown was the looming possibility of a North London hospital (found it: Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow) being overwhelmed, as in Italy. I think the strain in Durham hospitals was at a much lower level.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:and alot of the hype is because he is privileged, not because he broke some rules.  

Good grief-he broke the rules that he set.

How do you not understand why people are giving him so much grief? It’s not because he’s privileged, it’s because he’s a feckin hypocrite.

• Like 2

The issue isn't Cummings, he's not an elected politician so he's not accountable to the public. He doesn't need to apologise. The police will investigate and will charge him if he has broken the law. Giving someone who is not media trained his own press conference was always likely to be a bad move; his arrogance and entitlement shone through.

The issue is the person he is answerable to - his boss, the PM. In backing him, Johnson has risked everything - time will tell if that was a wise move but it's not looking like it at the moment. Boris keeps talking about a united country whilst doing his utmost to divide it.

• Like 2