Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You've got to take away all the hype and frenzy that has built up around this story and see the human element.  So much of what we have been told by the media was wrong.  

One of the misconceptions there has plainly been on social media is that Barnard Castle is a castle...it is not, it is a town which happens to have a castle. He only drove as far as the outskirts of the town and turned back - he did not go into the town - and even if he had have gone into it, there is nothing to do there as it is shut, including the castle.  

My main sympathies are with those people who have found themselves in dire situations and just have to ride out the storm where they are, but I also have a little bit of sympathy with anyone who does what they do for the sake of looking after their family when all those around them are falling ill and with a good chance of themselves falling ill too - and with a young child to look after.  The guidelines were clear of course - you stay home - but there was always the caveat that there could be extenuating circumstances - and given the factual information we now have, it looks as if there were extenuating circumstances in this case.

Time to let this rest and move on imo....unless people are just relishing the tory bashing aspect of all this and just want to perpetuate it for that reason.....the media too have been parasitic in pursuing this, repeating rumour and stuff that has appeared on social media as if it was the truth. Plenty of it has just been a witch hunt which has got out of proportion to the reality - a man looking after his family to the best of his ability and resources.  

No.

• Haha 1

There weren't any extenuating circumstances. They're scamming you and you are falling for it. Stop falling for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A final point (at least for tonight) which I have’t seen made in the wake of Cummings explanation. If this was all above board and entirely in line with the rules, and not at all illegal, and Cummings thought so at the time, why didn’t his wife detail it all in her Specsavers, er sorry, Spectator article, rather than writing it in such a way that everyone was left with the strong impression they had stayed in London the whole time?

As ever  , it's  what they dont say that gets em.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You've got to take away all the hype and frenzy that has built up around this story and see the human element.  So much of what we have been told by the media was wrong.  

One of the misconceptions there has plainly been on social media is that Barnard Castle is a castle...it is not, it is a town which happens to have a castle. He only drove as far as the outskirts of the town and turned back - he did not go into the town - and even if he had have gone into it, there is nothing to do there as it is shut, including the castle.  

My main sympathies are with those people who have found themselves in dire situations and just have to ride out the storm where they are, but I also have a little bit of sympathy with anyone who does what they do for the sake of looking after their family when all those around them are falling ill and with a good chance of themselves falling ill too - and with a young child to look after.  The guidelines were clear of course - you stay home - but there was always the caveat that there could be extenuating circumstances - and given the factual information we now have, it looks as if there were extenuating circumstances in this case.

Time to let this rest and move on imo....unless people are just relishing the tory bashing aspect of all this and just want to perpetuate it for that reason.....the media too have been parasitic in pursuing this, repeating rumour and stuff that has appeared on social media as if it was the truth. Plenty of it has just been a witch hunt which has got out of proportion to the reality - a man looking after his family to the best of his ability and resources.  

An unpopular view on here LDC, I did post earlier that the press frenzy to see Cummings shafted may backfire outside of the bubble, I’m not saying it has but what appear to have been erroneous claims in the Mirror and particularly the Observer will detract from the other more legitimate accusations and risk beginning to weaken the strength of the prosecution. The guy should do the honourable  thing but that won’t be In the vocabulary. In those circumstances dubious reporting doesn’t help.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

You don’t need any credibility to govern Surfer, just a majority in parliament.

You do actually. MP’s are still sensitive to their constituent’s concerns and when you lose the confidence of the population there are all sorts of things that can a happen that - yes you can force people to do with the police - would go a lot more smoothly if you had retained it. So for example ministerial assertions about protecting food standards or the NHS, or immigration are all going to fall under the “so are you lying to me again” skepticism. It true the Tories have an 80 seat majority, but it won’t take too much to see a backbench rebellion break out, and the new northern Tories are not going to be concerned with having the whip withdrawn if they feel they will lose their seat anyway if they back up this nonesense. The “one nation” and “government of the people” facade has been shattered now. 

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They just continue to lie and the gullible lap it up.

Dynamite if true Squito!!!!!, not doubting you but theres been so much BS flying in all directions that I'm gonna wait until I get my hand on my  still wet from the press copy of The Sun in the morning then I'll learn the facts. Or I could wait until tomorrows briefing to get the truth. This Cummins guy is literally unbelievable.....and I dont often get the chance to use ' literally ' correctly. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

There weren't any extenuating circumstances. They're scamming you and you are falling for it. Stop falling for it.

All I'm doing is trying to see the reality behind the hype - and there has been too much hype and parasitic reporting about this.  In the spirit of the lockdown he is in the wrong, but there were extenuating circumstances and that is beyond doubt - and the rules said people had to stay home "unless there were extenuating circumstances". 

Now I'm as anti-tory and what this government is all about as anyone, but somewhere along the line, fair reporting and a balanced view has to take precedent otherwise all it does is perpetuate anger which does no one any good. 

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The guidelines were clear of course - you stay home - but there was always the caveat that there could be extenuating circumstances - and given the factual information we now have, it looks as if there were extenuating circumstances in this case.

I thought the wording was 'exceptional circumstances' rather than extenuating, not that it really matters either way.

What are these exceptional circumstances??? There must have been tens of thousands of families in the same or very similar circumstances to the Cummings where one parent catches the virus, and I think its a pretty fair assumption that the Cummings are better able to get assistance with childcare if they needed it than most.

The instructions are absolutely clear cut and they are instructions from the Government not advice. Cummings completely flouted them and I haven't heard a single word to justify that there being anything 'exceptional' or 'extenuating' in his circumstances, just the arrogant assumption that he didn't have to follow the same rules as the all the plebs.

So far he seems to have assumed correctly, which is good news as he is dragging Johnson down with him and PMQs this week is going to be an absolute treat 😀

• Like 1

I've got some bad news CM. PMQs isn't on this week as they are having a break.

Edited by Herman

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

All I'm doing is trying to see the reality behind the hype - and there has been too much hype and parasitic reporting about this.  In the spirit of the lockdown he is in the wrong, but there were extenuating circumstances and that is beyond doubt - and the rules said people had to stay home "unless there were extenuating circumstances". 

Now I'm as anti-tory and what this government is all about as anyone, but somewhere along the line, fair reporting and a balanced view has to take precedent otherwise all it does is perpetuate anger which does no one any good. 

The reality is that an unelected government advisor drove 260 miles because he said that as he and his partner may have the coronavirus, he might need a relative to look after his 4 year old. He then visited a castle in order to test his eyesight.

The Durham police called his decision making "unwise". I'm surprised anyone can take anything Cummings says seriously.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

So far he seems to have assumed correctly, which is good news as he is dragging Johnson down with him and PMQs this week is going to be an absolute treat 😀

You may be unlucky.

5 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

The reality is that an unelected government advisor drove 260 miles because he said that as he and his partner may have the coronavirus, he might need a relative to look after his 4 year old. He then visited a castle in order to test his eyesight.

The Durham police called his decision making "unwise". I'm surprised anyone can take anything Cummings says seriously.

Yes with those appalling decisions he should be sacked for incompetence anyway.

The whole purpose of the lockdown was to STOP especially those with covid symptoms from travelling around the country spreading it further.

He is without a doubt guilty as charged along with his wife.

52 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Time to let this rest and move on imo...

Good luck with that on here!

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So what are they then????

Its a fairy tale, just like the even more ludicrous fairy tale about the trip to Barnard Castle - so ludicrous in fact that even that ardent Brexiteer and Cummings supporter Andrew Bridgen managed to waffle around it for about 5 minutes about it but couldn't actually bring himself to say that he believed that the Cummings' version was the truth. So if even he doesn't believe it.......................🙄

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've got some bad news CM. PMQs isn't on this week as they are having a break.

Doh 😧

How long does that mean we have to wait for the next dismantling of Johnson (assuming he doesn't dismantle himself before then)?

4 hours ago, Indy said:

On a side note, 121 deaths today, with about 1200 new cases today, positive as it’s still coming down.

Well done Indy, also totally correct,  fact that 121 deaths from Coronavirus today, positive that its coming down for sure, sad that its still 121 deaths to many and sad that as you say, its just a side note in this topic now. Hundreds die, yet pages and pages of Cummings Goings...

Alright,  let the waffle continue and Coronavirus tragedies  stay as a sideshow, its only a football forum after all.

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Doh 😧

How long does that mean we have to wait for the next dismantling of Johnson (assuming he doesn't dismantle himself before then)?

Two weeks I think. 

19 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Time to let this rest and move on imo...

Good luck with that on here!

To tell the truth I'm fed up with hearing about it. He misjudged the situation, he should have stayed at home, but he might have been genuinely scared about what would happen to his family and that led him to making the decison he did, however flawed.  That alone is enough to have at least SOME sympathy for a parent in a situation he was in, faced with an ill wife and almost certainty that he would get the virus like his close colleagues.  The alternative is to carry on ranting and railing about it, which only perpetuates anger and keep the level of hype up, which is not good for anyone - except his political opponents who will want to keep this going as long as they can - and that is not something to be proud of.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

To tell the truth I'm fed up with hearing about it.

Then stop posting on a thread about it

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

To tell the truth I'm fed up with hearing about it. He misjudged the situation, he should have stayed at home, but he might have been genuinely scared about what would happen to his family and that led him to making the decison he did, however flawed.  That alone is enough to have at least SOME sympathy for a parent in a situation he was in, faced with an ill wife and almost certainty that he would get the virus like his close colleagues.  The alternative is to carry on ranting and railing about it, which only perpetuates anger and keep the level of hype up, which is not good for anyone - except his political opponents who will want to keep this going as long as they can - and that is not something to be proud of.

The majority of the country followed the lockdown rules, with many of us having vulnerable family members, struggling mental health and the feeling of being trapped.

A senior member of the government arrogantly thought he could ignore the rules, and yet some are trying to defend it. Quite odd really.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Sorry that does not fly. He is the special advisor to the P.M. If there is anyone who has access to some help it would be him. A private nurse or nanny for example, so DC's family could stay in London and he could continue to advise the Cabinet during Boris's illness. So the PR team can spin it anyway they want but it is clear he deliberately ignored the instructions the UK Government issued and now they are trying to cover all of that up. It's not like this happened last week, the papers have had several weeks to do their research on this, and his wife also fabricated that story for the Spectator which was at minimum "economical with the truth."

So the issue is - they have very publicly shown that you can't trust DC, and you can't trust the P.M or Cabinet either, they have shown that whatever rule they create for the British public they are free to ignore themselves, and this will have big implications moving forward. In the short term many people may consider the lockdown instructions to be dead in the water - which in turn may lead the government to compensate by rushing to open the country back up before the science says they should. 

All to protect an advisor. Something stinks here. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

You do actually. MP’s are still sensitive to their constituent’s concerns and when you lose the confidence of the population there are all sorts of things that can a happen that - yes you can force people to do with the police - would go a lot more smoothly if you had retained it. So for example ministerial assertions about protecting food standards or the NHS, or immigration are all going to fall under the “so are you lying to me again” skepticism. It true the Tories have an 80 seat majority, but it won’t take too much to see a backbench rebellion break out, and the new northern Tories are not going to be concerned with having the whip withdrawn if they feel they will lose their seat anyway if they back up this nonesense. The “one nation” and “government of the people” facade has been shattered now. 

But that’s my point, 80 is a whopping majority. You don’t need credibility, all you have to do is hold that majority in Parliament. That’s a hell of a rebellion before you need before anything changes.

Would you say Donald Trump has credibility as President? Yet he’s going to survive everything thrown at him and finish his term.

And Johnson has an absolute stranglehold on the workings of the UK government in comparison. Johnson and this Government isnt going anywhere until at least the next GE, people need to get used to that.

48 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Well done Indy, also totally correct,  fact that 121 deaths from Coronavirus today, positive that its coming down for sure, sad that its still 121 deaths to many and sad that as you say, its just a side note in this topic now. Hundreds die, yet pages and pages of Cummings Goings...

Alright,  let the waffle continue and Coronavirus tragedies  stay as a sideshow, its only a football forum after all.

What more is there to say? Many more than 121 people died of all sorts of things today. Yes it’s terrible that people die of anything, but we are well past the “panic” stage now and other than a reviewing to ensure they haven’t shot back up again, I’m not sure what anybody really gets from focussing on the exact number of deaths each day.

For context, in the week ending 8 May (last weekly stats available on gov ONS site), there were 12,657 deaths and 3,930 related to coronavirus. That means there were 1,250 people a day who died from things other than coronavirus. Coronavirus numbers have reduced since then but I see no reason why other deaths would have significantly decreased since. So chances are that approximately 1350 people died today and only 121 were to do with coronavirus. 

21 minutes ago, Aggy said:

What more is there to say? Many more than 121 people died of all sorts of things today. Yes it’s terrible that people die of anything, but we are well past the “panic” stage now and other than a reviewing to ensure they haven’t shot back up again, I’m not sure what anybody really gets from focussing on the exact number of deaths each day.

For context, in the week ending 8 May (last weekly stats available on gov ONS site), there were 12,657 deaths and 3,930 related to coronavirus. That means there were 1,250 people a day who died from things other than coronavirus. Coronavirus numbers have reduced since then but I see no reason why other deaths would have significantly decreased since. So chances are that approximately 1350 people died today and only 121 were to do with coronavirus. 

Does seem a bit odd describing 121 deaths as a 'side note' though doesn't it.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

But that’s my point, 80 is a whopping majority. You don’t need credibility, all you have to do is hold that majority in Parliament. That’s a hell of a rebellion before you need before anything changes.

Would you say Donald Trump has credibility as President? Yet he’s going to survive everything thrown at him and finish his term.

And Johnson has an absolute stranglehold on the workings of the UK government in comparison. Johnson and this Government isnt going anywhere until at least the next GE, people need to get used to that.

If you don't have credibility you finish up getting nothing done. Yes Donald Trump will stumble into the election, but the practical matter is the country is paralyzed. If he had any ability to lead, to be trusted, so much could be done, but he can't and isn't. 

I appreciate the UK is rather different, but public opinion and the press still make a huge difference to what a government can get done - unless it wants to go full authoritarian and lose all legitimacy that is. We must all hope that is not the UK's fate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

The Sunday figures are always lower due to the way hospitals report. Expect higher figures for Tuesday and Wednesday.