Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I doubt he’ll be prosecuted either, but I am interested in the morality of it when he is advising the PM.

Even he hasn’t tried to argue that he was just reasonably “moving house”, instead using some young child exemption which doesn’t appear to be anywhere expressly in writing.

Edit: also it hasn’t been qualified later or amended. The newer regs just brought in additional exemptions as part of the first stage of lifting of lockdown. Previously you could move house where reasonably necessary, now you can still do that, but also go to estate agents, house viewings etc.

As I said I'm not getting into a debate about the rights and wrongs. I'm just suggesting that he has three potential excuses open to him.   It doesnt really matter what I think. What matters is what the police, CPS and the bench think.

Surely the regulations were amended. that's why the new regulations have (amendment) in the title no?

They used to say:

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary

And now they say:

to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property—

this rather suggests you used to be able to move where the reason was unconnected with purchase, sale etc. 

No humility at all, all about him trying to squirm his way to not being fired! Not once has he actually apologised for breaking an instruction not an advisory........everyone else was told to stay at home!

16 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Tested his eyes by putting his child in a car, stopping at an isolated river bank, sitting around there for a bit until he got spotted, droving to a forest, playing there for a bit until he got spotted again and then went home. Don’t you test your eyes like that as well?

Should have gone to Specsavers - they're open for emergencies  🙂

16 minutes ago, BigFish said:

He's Johnson's SPAD, while Johnson thinks he needs him he will remain.Nope.

Nope.

It's a case of what Johnson is told to do, Johnson does.

As there is clearly no good reason for Cummings to stay so the decision is certainly out of his hands.

Which to me is off far greater concern than when, where, why he was at any place.

So who is Cummings really accountable to, and who is running the country as it is DEFINITELY not Johnson ?

Edited by Bill

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

He's just treating the population like idiots.

He is but what appalling journalists we have, no forensic questioning, half of them like kittens

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Pizza express, by several miles. Andrew would have had no probs taking his kids to Croyden P E , drop  them  home  , then a quick spin into central London in time for the nightclubs . Sorted. I have not heard that issue raised ref Randy Andy and that evening....he had plenty of time to do both. Yet as far as I know, no one challenged him over this topic. 

I believe he can’t sweat either

Also didn't mention the day trip to Barnard Castle was his wife's birthday

Anyone else find it Trump like government, that Durham police downplayed their official statement at 4:01, today, from questioning his farther about covid movements of his family to now a security issue! Cover up on a larger scale! Pressure put on them?

Edited by Indy

21 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

As I said I'm not getting into a debate about the rights and wrongs. I'm just suggesting that he has three potential excuses open to him.   It doesnt really matter what I think. What matters is what the police, CPS and the bench think.

Surely the regulations were amended. that's why the new regulations have (amendment) in the title no?

They used to say:

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary

And now they say:

to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property—

this rather suggests you used to be able to move where the reason was unconnected with purchase, sale etc. 

Well I think for a government advisor the morals matter as much as the letter of the law.

For completeness, the amendment still says “moving home” as below. The additional wording was added because you can now move home and do other things and also to make you can only do the additional things for a residential property (as opposed to going to an estate or letting agent for a commercial property). 
[edit: and check the date of the amendment - it was in order to bring in the relaxations of lockdown - far easier to amend this one than bring in whole swathes of new legislation repealing certain bits and adding new]

(i)visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes;

(ii)viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or rent;

(iii)preparing a residential property to move in;

(iv)moving home;

(v)visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that 

The far better defence (which is what Cummings effectively said in the press conference) would be to rely on 6(m) that he was seeking to avoid his child becoming ill or the risk of it. In any event, he won’t get prosecuted and I don’t think it’s the best use of police team to faff around looking at whether anybody was flouting lockdown rules a month ago. That’s probably all that needs to be said if you don’t want to get into a discussion about rights and wrongs. Personally though, I think rights and wrongs pretty important when we’re discussing actions of a government advisor.

Edited by Aggy

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He is but what appalling journalists we have, no forensic questioning, half of them like kittens

Nothing changed there then.

He's  been  caught out, simple as that. Whether anyone will have the gumption to  really go after him , not so sure. Because he's  a senior advisor,he'll have some kinda dirt on every member of the cabinet.......

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's  been  caught out, simple as that. Whether anyone will have the gumption to  really go after him , not so sure. Because he's  a senior advisor,he'll have some kinda dirt on every member of the cabinet.......

I got that the delay was the press were given that statement and their questions were scrutinised prior to the tv conference.......he might not fare so well tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Nothing changed there then.

True. We have the same problem in the US. The media need a complete overhaul unfortunately as the fact that date was his wife’s birthday was already known, and any journalist worth their salt would have asked about that - get him on the record. 

17 minutes ago, Aggy said:

The far better defence (which is what Cummings effectively said in the press conference) would be to rely on 6(m) that he was seeking to avoid his child becoming ill or the risk of it. In any event, he won’t get prosecuted and I don’t think it’s the best use of police team to faff around looking at whether anybody was flouting lockdown rules a month ago. That’s probably all that needs to be said if you don’t want to get into a discussion about rights and wrongs. Personally though, I think rights and wrongs pretty important when we’re discussing actions of a government advisor.

I did think about the avoiding illness thing but I'm not sure how moving from one house to another would help if you brought the patient(s) with you.  Perhaps the other house has a whole wing a child can isolate in!

Of course the rights and wrong of the actions are important.  I just dont want to be part of the discussion on here. 

Politics here is just two sides shouting at each other and when the housing stops no one is any thenwoser for the experience

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

He's just treating the population like idiots.

Him and Johnson both - unfortunately that has worked pretty well for them in the past so maybe it will this time as well.

But so far it seems to be going really well, the longer Johnson and Cummings can keep this up the more damage they are inflicting on the Government and the Tory party generally and eventually that is what will finish Cummings off.

But, as VW observed yesterday they appear to be joined at the hip which has to make you wonder whether the end is in sight for Johnson as well. One thing you can't fault the Tories for is their instinct for and ruthlessness about changing their leader if they become a potential liability (no matter how popular they've been). Johnson got elected as leader because they thought he could win an election (tick) and 'get Brexit done' (tick). Well done Boris 😀

But now as it becomes clearer almost on a daily basis that he is completely out of his depth, providing zero leadership and is an increasing liability what is the point of Johnson for the next 4 years?? None at all as far as I can see and although he is ridiculously inexperienced to be PM there is literally only one member of the cabinet to emerge from this crisis with any credit whatsoever and that is Rishi Sunak. With the next 4 years likely to consist overwhelmingly of trying to climb out of the first economic depression any of us (unless someone has a letter from the Queen) have experienced then if I were a Tory MP I'd feel a lot happier with Sunak in charge than the current buffoon.

On a side note, 121 deaths today, with about 1200 new cases today, positive as it’s still coming down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Leaving aside the question of going up north in general, the thing about that hilariously absurd Barnard Castle excuse is that it is a clear admission that with that excursion he he broke the lockdown rules. So if that was what he told Johnson before Johnson went on TV and said Cummings had acted entirely legally then Johnson was lying.

Surprised that I haven't yet seen 'A load of eyewash' as a tabloid headline, but it is bound to come...🤓

On 23/05/2020 at 10:02, T said:

If you tolerate Brexit then a mismanaged pandemic will be next. 

Is that the new single from the Manic Street Preachers?

Though I doubt anyone will get the reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I did think about the avoiding illness thing but I'm not sure how moving from one house to another would help if you brought the patient(s) with you.  Perhaps the other house has a whole wing a child can isolate in!

No it doesn’t work brilliantly but I suppose the argument could be that if he and his wife were completely incapacitated (as he said was his fear, despite his wife having no fever or cough and him showing no symptoms at all!) then I suppose a four year old would be at risk of harm. Loose at best I think.

Interested in the “young child exceptional circumstances” exemption he kept referring to. I don’t think there is one, unless it’s (again loosely) chucked under “vulnerable person” but for reasons above I don’t think that one really washes either.

The other thing is that the regs were brought in, in a rush, under emergency powers because of an epidemic. So they aren’t drafted brilliantly, as you’ve shown re moving house. But because of the circumstances in which they were brought in, there is an added element of good faith to complying with them - another reason that frankly him trying to weasel out of it based on poorly drafted and unclear legislation is not a good luck for the government. 

And fair enough re politics on here!

Not sure what the relevance is of picking over his 'story'

It is clear that this visit to his parents was planned in advance his mums b'day and then his wife's B'Day (Aggy). Lockdown then hits, and they decide to 'chance it'....whoopee do.

There then follows a cobbled together cover up, which is similarly torn apart. A child of three (or four in this case) could see through this - so why the fuss. He's been caught lying as have Np.10

So move on.

Why has he not been sacked ? Why is his whole demeanour one of knowing he won't, or more likely can't be sacked. Because that takes us to why he felt he could replace Javids staff. Why he attends meetings that he is not supposed to be at

Start to ask those questions and you might begin to recognise where the REAL problem lies.

Who is running the government ?

47 minutes ago, Van wink said:

And still people buy the newspapers and vote the dodgy politicians in. 

Personally I believe there is more important things to consider rather than Cummings wrong doings= like people who lost there jobs. care homes, etc . But the media which I got no word of praise for. Media hanging around his poor parents home is disgusting, wish some of the media would experience the same experiences that they dish out. 

Just now, Bill said:

Not sure what the relevance is of picking over his 'story'

It is clear that this visit to his parents was planned in advance his mums b'day and then his wife's B'Day (Aggy). Lockdown then hits, and they decide to 'chance it'....whoopee do.

There then follows a cobbled together cover up, which is similarly torn apart. A child of three (or four in this case) could see through this - so why the fuss. He's been caught lying as have Np.10

So move on.

Why has he not been sacked ? Why is his whole demeanour one of knowing he won't, or more likely can't be sacked. Because that takes us to why he felt he could replace Javids staff. Why he attends meetings that he is not supposed to be at

Start to ask those questions and you might begin to recognise where the REAL problem lies.

Who is running the government ?

What about Aggy? Think it was someone else who said it was his wife’s bday

47 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The media frenzy has nothing to do with rule breaking and it has little to do with the virus  -- It has everything to do with Brexit and Cummings being a brilliant political strategist and one who was director of the successful Vote Leave campaign -- He's also in the process of sorting out the useless civil service.

Well, looks like the Lefty Remainiacs that are the media establishment and the deep state who have made this an issue because they want Cummings gone as Boris's senior adviser lose again 👍

Barnard Castle's Trip Advisor is getting a bit of a hammering. I have the sneaky suspicion that they are not all genuine reviews.😀

• Haha 2

An unelected Civil Servant gets a TV platform to mug us off further and laughs as he leaves the table. 
Boris is waiting for his puppetmaster Cummings to tell him he can sack him. 
Meanwhile the Country stumbles to economic disaster as this arrogant untouchable to$$€r pulls the strings. 
Grow some Boris and get shot of Cummings, look at how other Countries who are “ahead of us” are doing and get this Country back on its feet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aggy said:

What about Aggy? Think it was someone else who said it was his wife’s bday

I was referencing you, as I was nit aware of that fact

one that now underlines point I made that it was a visit planned in advance - more, so we now know it was 2 B'days

so not questioning, more crediting you with source

Cummings when he drove up to Durham, should have told curious folk and the North East regional media he was 'Keith Daz'....and just a washing machine salesman.... 

Brendan O'Neill:

The media’s Dominic Cummings story has completely collapsed. He did NOT go to Durham a second time, which was reported on the front page of the Sunday Mirror and the Observer. He did NOT have any physical contact with family members. The police did NOT talk to the Cummings family about the Covid lockdown guidelines. Cummings did NOT carry on doing things that everyone else had stopped doing — he even missed the funeral of his uncle who died from Covid. He did NOT leave his London home for leisure reasons — he left it because he was receiving death threats as a result of media demonisation. He was very ill, his wife was ill, and at one point his child was taken to hospital in an ambulance in Durham.

His family has had a really rough time and the media have told lie after lie about him. The scandal is not Cummings’ behaviour — it is the collapse of ethics and objectivity in the British media.