Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

This is your problem Bill you jump in with both feet without reading the post from KG that I was replying to and have made a complete ar$e of yourself. It is quite obvious what the minutiae I was referring to.

I expect your apology will be in the post

or not😂

On 23/05/2020 at 13:28, keelansgrandad said:

Trouble is Ricardo, people take pictures of and tell the world about what they had for breakfast. The so called leader of the free world tweets so many times a day that he will get caught out even if its just punctuation. When you and I were nippers, the Government was far more in the background. Supermac and Wilson kept out of the limelight. I struggle to understand why so many need the world to love them and congratulate them.

Indeed, amazing how people are interested in such minutiae. Politicians were no different back in the day its just that we didn't  hear of any misdemeanours  until they were long gone. John Major and Edwina Curry springs to mind and there was also much speculation about Wilson and Marcia Falkender.

Of the three who recently got caught out I had more sympathy with Ferguson missing out on his nuptials. I supose if you put yourself in the public eye you have to live with the consequences.

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Maybe Cummings will resign, then just continue to advise Boris in a much less public way...for a few months. Then get appointed back with a different title and do exactly the same as he has been doing up until now

🤫

🙃

16 minutes ago, T said:

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 

I'm not sure that is the real (or complete) answer - much as I loathe the guy there is no doubt that during the Brexit campaign that his campaign (disgusting though it was) was a brilliant manipulation of the public - his messaging and the targetting of the messages was very clever.

However since he's worked for the government that same campaigning style just hasn't worked at all, even prior to the virus, and its been very obvious and much commented on from the very start of this crisis just how poor the Government's messaging has been. So in many ways, even before his latest hypocritical piece of stupidity, I would suggest that he is more of a liability than an asset. Also the government are going to need quite a few scapegoats to cover the c*ck ups of the last three months and I think with his trips to Durham he may have jumped to the head of the queue ahead of Matt Hancock.

The initial attempt to protect him seems like almost a reflex action - we have a very inexperienced government built on lies and deception and we've already seen on multiple occassions that their immediate instinct at any suggestion of bad behaviour or mistakes is to completely deny it/lie about it. That is working less and less well, and as with a couple of other recent issues I think they will fairly soon work out that their initial reaction was entirely the wrong one (even from their own point of view) and do a complete u-turn.

Which is excellent, i.e. worse of all worlds from the government perspective. They could have done the right thing and got rid of him quickly and minimised the damage. Now they've circled the wagons, put all their ludicrous excuses for him on the record, accused the Durham police of lying and had it all blow up in their faces...........and they will lose him anyway. Far be it from me to suggest that this is any way reflects on the competence of the government  😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, amazing how people are interested in such minutiae.

or

"Anybody snitched on their neighbours this morning?"

''should have realised there is always someone watching''

''and from what Ive seen most have bent the rules to their own advantage regardless of what side of the political divide they are on''

''The foot stampers are out in force.''

Which clearly shows that your intent was to dismiss this as a minor misdemeanour - whereby the fault was actually with those raising this. This was about snitching, a child's temper tantrum - that's how you wanted it seen

Whereas this was a major breach of the rules Cummings was at the heart of drafting. It was obvious to those not relying upon their knee to jerk, that there was an attempt at a cover up going (possibly) right to the top.

By the time you were posting it was known that his wife had lied about this in the Spectator, and NO.10 had lied about the Cummings contact with the police. So why ? Would you have replied the same had it have been Dianne Abbott ?

We both know the answer to either question - and I suspect others on here do as well.

2 hours ago, T said:

One of the borders that needs most controlling is the one out of the UK as the UK is one of the countries that is seen as not having the virus under control. And it won’t be seen as having it under control until if and when it finally effectively implements test track and isolate months after other countries.

It seems more concerned though that Boris can’t function without his minder. He is bad enough with his minder in place so they must be really concerned about how he will perform without Cummings. 

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Virus free nations by July seems very optimistic to me.   I'm not sure that any nation has got particularly close to this status just yet and if they loosen restrictions ws they must the risk obviously increases

I don't expect anything like a normal holiday until 2021.

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Iceland is down to 3 active cases, and they are planning on easing restrictions in June. They are looking at testing visitors on arrival

Yes, sorry, when I said virus-free I should have said "well under control", I didn't mean zero cases.

I think the vast majority of Europe, particularly Greece, Spain and Italy (ie UK tourists=big business) will open up to us by mid-July (ie kids Summer holidays for those that went back, or continued to go, to school) in order to at least salvage something of the tourist season.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any of those three countries has an advanced test/track/isolate system in place and, if that is the case, they are hardly likely to demand it of us.

Desperate stuff Billy

Its quite obvious to anybody who cares to read the posts that I have said from the start that he has been caught red handed. You can't get away with that sort of thing in this country of curtain twitchers and only a fool would try.

Yes, there is always someone watching and yes, no matter what side of the political divide people bend the rules and often get caught. The list is endless.

Why on earth do you think I backed him to go.

53 minutes ago, T said:

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 

Unfortunately this is true of 99% of politicians of all persuasions and they have always been reliant on civil servants who are the real runners of the country.  Unfortunately the type of advisers you are getting who are coming in from commercial or private backgrounds don't want the civil service running things.  The types of bullying of civil servants we have heard about in recent months has been a symptom of that clash.

Briefing delayed until 5pm

Can't prise his hand off the door handles.

or perhaps he has taken Larry hostage😺

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Unfortunately this is true of 99% of politicians of all persuasions and they have always been reliant on civil servants who are the real runners of the country.  Unfortunately the type of advisers you are getting who are coming in from commercial or private backgrounds don't want the civil service running things.  The types of bullying of civil servants we have heard about in recent months has been a symptom of that clash.

Could be a scene from Yes Minister😉

We don't want oiks in the Civil Service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

That counts for diddley squat as the real point is both of you tried to dismiss this..... minutiae was the word you used, I believe.

More lies, find me the evidence where I supported Cummins in this.The real point is Cummins has very little support on here so to draw attention to yourself you had to make stuff up. Nothing new there though. I expect you to follow up with a strawman shortly. Has to be about Biljy👍

Well, Johnson is doing the press briefing today. Can assume therefore he will make a statement about DC and presumably he can take the opportunity to announce a resignation ....or will this continue to rumble.

Johnson must surely be announcing that he has gone. He wouldn't be able to stand up to journalist questions  about it.

Will he try and be the big man and say he sacked him?

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Cummings now 4-6 to Stay

11/10 to Go

Boo😨

Am I on a loser?

I think you are. Only because presumably there is little evidence that what is alleged to have happened has not happened, otherwise why would cabinet ministers come out SO strongly in support of him? If they know they are backing the wrong horse, just why would they provide such statements, statements that are essentially the opposite of their own government message? 

If he was going wouldn't they just bluff it out with vague statements?

I think if BJ backs him it won't go down well in his party and certainly not the country.

Edited by sonyc

He's been in No. 10 since about midday do presumably if he was going he would have left long before now. My guess is that him and Boris have been getting their stories straight ready for Boris to come out at 5.00 and tell the world what a great bloke Cummings is. 

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Have you had any more letters Ricardo? My Granddaughter, who is Diabetes 1 had one saying she can go out and about now.

No mate, not yet, perhaps there is something in the post. I worked out June 15th was the 12 week limit but it may have changed for some.

As you know I have admitted to being slightly naughty by going out a couple of times last week on my bike because I was getting a bit fed up with it. I have however been extremely careful and gone at very quiet times. No doubt the cutain twitchers spotted me so I may be in trouble😉

I think you had to Ricardo for your own mental wellbeing. It's a small but sensible risk in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any of those three countries has an advanced test/track/isolate system in place and, if that is the case, they are hardly likely to demand it of us.

Greece are controlling it at the airports - they don't need track and trace because they dealt with it swiftly and responsibly. Quarantine on arrival until a test has proven you're clear of Covid. I outlined their system a page or two back. That's why they had less cases and less deaths during the entire pandemic, than we had yesterday. They've had a decade of financial crisis and their healthcare system is very low capacity. An outbreak would be a disaster so doubt they'll take any risks with who they let in.

Not sure on Italy and Spain's track and trace, but Turkey have an incredibly well developed system from decades of doing it for measles outbreaks. They just had a clip about it on BBC news - they have 1200 teams (of 2) on the streets of Istanbul track and tracing daily. Residents call up if they have symptoms and they have track and trace team out to test them on the doorstep within 24 hours.

Edited by kick it off

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Cummings now 4-6 to Stay

11/10 to Go

Boo😨

Am I on a loser?

Looks likely by all accounts. Johnson can't manage without him

5 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Looks likely by all accounts. Johnson can't manage without him

Grrrrrrr 

Edited by ricardo

Can't win them all R.

Another nail I can't help thinking. This fella must be so important. 

Just now, sonyc said:

Can't win them all R.

Another nail I can't help thinking. This fella must be so important. 

Good news for Labour - the longer Cummings stays now he is toxic to the public, the better.