Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

3 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Virus free nations by July seems very optimistic to me.   I'm not sure that any nation has got particularly close to this status just yet and if they loosen restrictions ws they must the risk obviously increases

I don't expect anything like a normal holiday until 2021.

Iceland is down to 3 active cases, and they are planning on easing restrictions in June. They are looking at testing visitors on arrival

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its the Gupta theory.

If true then track and trace won't make a blind bit of difference if it naturally dies away.

Can't say I'm convinced yet though.

Did the antibody survey from which we got the 17 % and 5% figures from ever get published?

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Iceland is down to 3 active cases, and they are planning on easing restrictions in June. They are looking at testing visitors on arrival

Yes fair enough.  I had meant to qualify it as 'major nation'.

Either way I'm not sure that we can all fit into hotels in iceland and the channel islands!

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Did the antibody survey from which we got the 17 % and 5% figures from ever get published?

If Gupta's position is  correct and there is already a large residual immunity because of similar coronavirus's then those figures are less relevant. The next couple of months should reveal the answer.

20 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Greece immediately implemented mandatory quarantine for 24 hours for all visitors/residents on incoming flights - 24 hours were whilst test results were processed, and the government organised the hotels for that quarantine to take place en masse I believe. £5000 fine for breaking that quarantine period - If you had the virus I think they imposed further quarantine (but not sure on that). 

The result is that in a population of around 11 million (of which large proportions are elderley - around 25% are pensionable age), they've had 170 deaths (16 deaths per million compared to 551 in the UK) and less than 3000 cases. We had more deaths yesterday than they have in the entire pandemic. We had more cases yesterday than they've had in the entire pandemic. 

Lots of factors go into that, lifestyle, density of population etc, but it makes a mockery of those who think Boris and co are doing a good job.

They're open for summer tourist season but not to countries where the virus is still not under control so suspect UK tourists won't be welcome.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

Been a few false dawns. I would love to think, apart from social distancing, we would  recover some of summer. And get back to something akin to real life. 

Cummings has been summoned to Downing Street - Seen entering in the last few minutes. Writing appears to be on the wall.... but that might just be where Bojo has been drawing on them in crayon again.

No excuse for passive rather than active approach not least to rebuild confidence in UK. The track trace isolate isn’t important comment shows s total disregard for people’s lives  Even if there is high immunity not everyone has it so track trace and isolate is vital to protect those who don’t have immunity    A shocking attempt to deflect from the failure of government policy like venilators don’t matter  ICUs do matter though  Like Cummings anything to deflect from the truth    No morals whatsoever  

Meanwhile Peston saying ministers don’t believe Cummings will last. Problem is Boris Gove Hancock Patel and Sunak have pinned their colours to the one rule for us and another for the rest of population mast. 

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Greece immediately implemented mandatory quarantine for 24 hours whilst test results were processed, and the government organised the hotels for that quarantine to take place en masse I believe. £5000 fine for breaking that quarantine period - If you had the virus I think they imposed further quarantine (but not sure on that). 

The result is that in a population of around 11 million (of which large proportions are elderley - around 25% are pensionable age), they've had 170 deaths (16 deaths per million compared to 551 in the UK) and less than 3000 cases. We had more deaths yesterday than they have in the entire pandemic. We had more cases yesterday than they've had in the entire pandemic. 

Lots of factors go into that, lifestyle, density of population etc, but it makes a mockery of those who think Boris and co are doing a good job.

They're open for summer tourist season but not to countries where the virus is still not under control so suspect UK tourists won't be welcome.

Indeed U.K.reported  with US  and Russia as one of the countries who don’t currently have the virus under control criteria. 

Maybe Cummings will resign, then just continue to advise Boris in a much less public way...for a few months. Then get appointed back with a different title and do exactly the same as he has been doing up until now

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Gupta's position is  correct and there is already a large residual immunity because of similar coronavirus's then those figures are less relevant. The next couple of months should reveal the answer.

Quite possibly we are best critical level but dont even realise it.

I wanted to read the study though so shame if it is not published

13 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Maybe Cummings will resign, then just continue to advise Boris in a much less public way...for a few months. Then get appointed back with a different title and do exactly the same as he has been doing up until now

That's a terribly cynical view. Probably correct though.😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

1 press briefing, 1 (and only) Commons statement and 3 PMQs have worn him out.

You didn’t include the time taken to towel him down and reassure him that his performance was far better than Starmer’s. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The point I made yesterday in that regard was why was Cummings being kept on, as electronic communication would allow what you state.

That is where the real concern should be

Why is it so important that those running Johnson want him in the 'thick of things'. Because as the above he would have not ability to attend meetings and so put over their view - which is pretty much what the number crunchers tell him. Just as with Johnson

Advocate a policy on the basis that a greater percentage will support than oppose. Cummings is there to ensure those numbers are used. Johnson has not the ability, as like Trump, he wilts at the first sig of a reasoned question.

So I expect it maybe  case of 'lets' see how thus is playing'.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Looks like you are quids in Ricardo(o).

Very much hope so.

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

How much did you put on?

Other people's money? Sounds like a job for Nuttyo.

Edited by wcorkcanary

14 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

The pull of this guy on the left is incredible.

Whether or not a guy had good reason to drive a car should not be as big a story of the fact that we have over taken italy in terms of deaths per head. The horrid symbolism of this is what should matter.

Perhaps outside of the activist bubbles it is what matters.

Those 'activists' being all the major media outlets, all the major political parties and more specifically Tory MPs

Those similarly as active as Cummings but have been fined, unlike him

I expect it also matters to that group of non activists.... those who have stayed at home and observed the lock down

And the idea this will soon be forgotten is just more idiotic wishful thinking - just as the furore over the Libdems failed promise to remove student fees. 'Forgotten' until the next election where they were hammered.

And the real question remains - what is so important that clinging on to Cummings is so vital ? Why does he have to be working INSIDE No 10 ?

• Like 1

Conservative MP Robert Halfon has apologised for tweeting his support of Dominic Cummings on Saturday and said the PM’s aide should “face the consequences of breaking the law”.

In a statement on his Facebook page, the MP for Harlow said

:I would first like to make it clear to residents that I regret writing the tweet yesterday in the way I did about the Number 10 political adviser and his movements.

I am really sorry for it. I do not support or condone anyone who has broken the law or regulations. Anyone who has done so should face the consequences."

I expect Ricardo and hand crank will be adding their agreement to that thought

The real question is why is Cummings so important to the hard right. Reality is that they don’t have ability or reality on their side so they are reliant on his ability to manipulate the public. Only problem is the public have recoiled when they have seen the full reality of Cummings exposed in public. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:
Conservative MP Robert Halfon has apologised for tweeting his support of Dominic Cummings on Saturday and said the PM’s aide should “face the consequences of breaking the law”.

In a statement on his Facebook page, the MP for Harlow said

:I would first like to make it clear to residents that I regret writing the tweet yesterday in the way I did about the Number 10 political adviser and his movements.

I am really sorry for it. I do not support or condone anyone who has broken the law or regulations. Anyone who has done so should face the consequences."

I expect Ricardo and hand crank will be adding their agreement to that thought

I've done more than that and backed it up with my own money 😉

Just announced that Dominic Cummings will be taking the 4pm briefing today.

He will be announcing further lifting of the travel restrictions and also making them retrospective.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just announced that Dominic Cummings will be taking the 4pm briefing today.

He will be announcing further lifting of the travel restrictions and also making them retrospective.

Does it include bike riders and dog walkers?

Edited by ricardo

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I've done more than that and backed it up with my own money 😉

That counts for diddley squat as the real point is both of you tried to dismiss this..... minutiae was the word you used, I believe.

And other might wonder if this now is a resignable offence, then why not when the press challenged him about this weeks ago ?

Could it be that Johnson knew, or should have known what Cummings was doing ?

Remember that shortly after Johnson was in hospital with there being talk of his possible demise. Surely it would have been an absolute necessity for someone at No. 10 to know where Cummings was at that time ?

Because there is the real concern.

Who have been involved in the attempted cover up ....and therefore who is protecting Cummings ?

I think we know why, but maybe it would help voters to have a clearer idea of who is running the country - and that certainly is not Johnson.