Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

The (deflection) force is strong with this one.  Still it's the standard MO anytime bad news comes along....

Jools - watch up - this is a very polite, but brutal takedown. Of course the Government will try the initial come on of "he was actually acting within the rules" but he very clearly wasn't. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The (deflection) force is strong with this one.  

Still it's the standard MO anytime bad news comes along....

Its pure desperation. Sad really.

7 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The (deflection) force is strong with this one.  

Still it's the standard MO anytime bad news comes along....

Let’s hope that, for all our sakes, Johnson does not attempt another 'clarification', as with the previous Sunday night's ramble 🙄

Edited by Bill

20 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The (deflection) force is strong with this one.  Still it's the standard MO anytime bad news comes along....

Jools - watch up - this is a very polite, but brutal takedown. Of course the Government will try the initial come on of "he was actually acting within the rules" but he very clearly wasn't. 

Christ alive, Serfdom! I'm a straight up, common sense Right-winger --- As if I'm ever going to be compatible with the Marxist BBC!

Cummings can remain, resign, get fired or get hanged in Felbrigg woods...

I'll still be a straight up, common sense Right-winger.

13 minutes ago, Jools said:

Cummings can remain, resign, get fired or get hanged in Felbrigg woods...I'll still be a straight up, common sense Right-winger.

OK, in that case we'll just carry on alone with our unelected hypocrite hunt. 

Remember there have already been other senior figures involved in tackling the pandemic who have had to resign for breaching lockdown restrictions - Scotland's Former Chief Medical Officer Catherine Calderwood and a leading scientist Professor Neil Ferguson, who was advising the government.

A source close to Dominic Cummings is insistent that he didn't break the rules.

But for those at the top to be perceived to even be stretching the rules is damaging. Along with triggering accusations of hypocrisy, it risks prompting people to question why they should be following the rules, if those involved in imposing them are not.

If Johnson comes out and defends Cummings you can bet that he will change his mind the next day.- or in reality, be told to

So to see in advance what Johnson (Clunk) will say

1 minute ago, Bill said:

If Johnson comes out and defends Cummings you can bet that he will change his mind the next day.- or in reality, be told to

It may depend on how the Sunday papers treat this excuse ---

A source close to Dominic Cummings is insistent that he didn't break the rules.

"My husband did rush home to look after me. He’s an extremely kind man, whatever people assume to the contrary. But 24 hours later, he said ‘I feel weird’ and collapsed. I felt breathless, sometimes achy, but Dom couldn’t get out of bed. Day in, day out for ten days he lay doggo with a high fever and spasms that made the muscles lump and twitch in his legs. He could breathe, but only in a limited, shallow way."

Whereas we now know that it was a blatant lie - unless he has a car with a bed in it 😂

"The article goes on: “Just as Dom was beginning to feel better ... Boris was heading in the other direction, into hospital.” This was the evening when Cummings was first seen near Durham with the child. On the same evening, Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, was forced to resign after she was photographed visiting her second home in Fife."

Both Calderwood and Ferguson resigned when it was revealed that they had broken lock down rules. Neither were infected with the virus. Both Cummings and his wife were.

And there is the above matter of his wife lying to supposedly cover up where they had been. Not some one off reply to a question, but written words in a magazine that both knew would be published in the public eye.

Where then any trust or integrity in either ?

• Like 1

Unless Cummings does the honorable thing, or is fired in the morning, Starmer is going to have an absolute field day with this one... deliberate flouting of rules he participated in creating, deceiving national media and ministers via deliberate lying to cover it up, it's this kind of scandal that brings down entire governments. Boris's precious Brexit will be on the line if they don't dump Cummings - why would anyone - the public, businesses, courts, trading partners - believe anything ministers say again if they let this go? 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Let’s hope that, for all our sakes, Johnson does not attempt another 'clarification', as with the previous Sunday night's ramble 🙄

This one ? 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2020 at 21:23, Barbe bleu said:

If PMQs really is the best scrutiny of a highly technical matter where there can be no argumemt as to the desired end state (no disease, minimum deaths) then god help us.

I'm not quite arguing against PMQs in general but if it involves equations it probably isnt best dealt with by Buttons and Widow Twanky (or worse or by wily coyote and road runner spending all their time setting and avoiding traps), no matter how much law or latin they were taught at school.

Well earlier you made the rather sweeping assertion that 'If a policy is bad it can be shown to be bad under any form of scrutiny' and yet you continue to argue against the one form of scrutiny that has demonstrably been effective whilst not offering a single suggestion as to any other form of scrutiny available in our Parliamentary tool kit that would be more effective.

Which rather tends to the conclusion that you're simply not much in favour of Parliament scrutinising and holding the government of the day to account - which is quite a big issue at any time and whoever is in government but at the moment.......😲

8 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

You said "the priority was not save lives but to avoid the embarassment of the NHS being overwhelmed."

I said that I see no evidence that they prioritized saving embarrassment over saving lives.  

You say that I have given no reason for my belief but I I need not reach for elaborate tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theories to support my belief as I am quite prepared to believe that the  government's real reason for "protecting the NHS" is the one they have published in the strategy.

the fact is we can both wrote all the essays we like but neither of us know.

I dont have blind faith in this government and have given criticism where i think it is due. Have you provided any praise yet?

This is where we came in then - when BigFish pointed out that you hadn't been paying attention, which clearly you haven't.

As to the question about praise given the answer is yes, I have where I thought it was due, i.e. in some of the economic measures taken to protect jobs and businesses. Presumably you weren't paying attention then either.

A rare visit to this thread for me but I couldn't resist it having just spoken to a fellow dog walker about the Cummings issue. He is of the view that it should be illegal to challenge anything that the Government does in the present circumstances. He thinks it's unbritish. It truly felt like I was talking to a member of a cult. 

What really frightened me was his assertion that Keir Starmer is 'a bit too clever for his own good'. Apparently having a clever person in charge of the country wouldn't do at all...... 

How on earth did it come to this? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well that's a bit depressing. And I can tell you he is not alone in his mentality. A scary outlook on life.

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Anybody snitched on their neighbours this morning?😁

Not yet mate. Number 13 has been to Coop once already this morning. I don't recognise that girl that's just visited 19.And 3, 7 and 9's bins are nearing over capacity. And with three more days to collection......

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Anybody snitched on their neighbours this morning?😁

I did, my wife thought it was a bit harsh as my neighbour only came round to drop off some homemade tiramisu, but she did overstep my painted 2.2  metre lines( extra 10% for extra safety). I said " I'd do the same again even if it wasnt my daughter next time".....some people eh? Rules is rules, family or not.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not yet mate. Number 13 has been to Coop once already this morning. I don't recognise that girl that's just visited 19.And 3, 7 and 9's bins are nearing over capacity. And with three more days to collection......

A timely reminder that we live in a country of twitching curtains.

If you tolerate Brexit then a mismanaged pandemic will be next. 

As many people can jump to the defence of Boris or Cummings as they like but the facts are facts. And to make points to the extent that SKS should not be questioning anything that happens seems to indicate that some would be happy with a one party nation, as long as it was the Tories.

"As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please"

(Chomsky)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Shame for what started out as a good thread.

I wish I could go through life when everyone I met would say to me what I wanted to hear VW. Yet, they don't. C19 is linked to what is important to our lives, our existence so it's bound to become political at times. Then, I do agree (if this is your point) that if this thread becomes a slanging match like the B one then I'm heading away. There is still good debate though lots of the time.

The Cummings issue however IS part of C19. It's about how as a country we are trying to observe the rules to save lives. Hence, it would be odd (to my mind) to ignore comment or opinion.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Yep, both linked. If the government is telling us to do one thing the government can't do another. They are supposed to be setting an example. This is all part of Covid and the handling of this disaster.

• Like 2

People have been separated from a loved one who has died. No visits allowed. Others have not been able to attend a funeral.

It's absolutely incredible reading what the likes of Redwood and Gove are saying. Haven't they understood the whole government message they themselves have been urging, whilst the country has observed mostly with obedience and with grace for the greater good? 

What is it with the standards of public office in this age.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

..You have your opinion, I have mine. Please do not get angry that not everyone agrees with you all the time.

And let's not spoil it for everyone else by making  this thread about one minor issue.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I wish I could go through life when everyone I met would say to me what I wanted to hear VW. Yet, they don't. C19 is linked to what is important to our lives, our existence so it's bound to become political at times. Then, I do agree (if this is your point) that if this thread becomes a slanging match like the B one then I'm heading away. There is still good debate though lots of the time.

The Cummings issue however IS part of C19. It's about how as a country we are trying to observe the rules to save lives. Hence, it would be odd (to my mind) to ignore comment or opinion.

I wish I could go through life when everyone I met would say to me what I wanted to hear VW. ..............  😀

Then, I do agree (if this is your point) that if this thread becomes a slanging match like the B ................it already has.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Shame for what started out as a good thread.

but had umpteen attacks on Diane Abbott

whereas now it has the usual righties (you and Ricardo) trying to defend one of yours

you made the rules, so stick to them

and stop your whining

• Like 1