Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Living abroad, it's hard for me to empathize with people in the UK. I have no real understanding of what is like for you guys. I  almost feel like a cheat, as my lifestyle has not changed to such an extent as it has for you. Hopefully, it will be possible to get back to  a more normal situation asap, but I fear that it is going to take some time 😔

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

.... I did note that amongst all the coronavirus news and distractions the government has conceded to the internal UK NI physical border customs and phytosanitary checks/controls on goods across the Irish Sea

First step to a (re)United Irish Republic. Probably way overdue in historical terms, but a bit of a blow to The Conservative and Unionist Party's pride eh? On the positive side, it'll add some value to existing UK maps as they become historical artifacts. I'll give it a Biblical 7 years to happen.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Living abroad, it's hard for me to empathize with people in the UK. I have no real understanding of what is like for you guys. I  almost feel like a cheat, as my lifestyle has not changed to such an extent as it has for you. Hopefully, it will be possible to get back to  a more normal situation asap, but I fear that it is going to take some time 😔

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/13/brexit-will-mean-checks-on-goods-crossing-irish-sea-government-admits

Another one.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Should have been for Surfer!

Oh my goodness. That will signal reunification.

Then, his stance from the off was just ridiculous.

What's the betting that within just 5 years, (maybe less?), Wales will be the only one left in the union.

25 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I think your post exudes empathy . 
Yes we’re all in for the long haul I believe. 

• Like 2

SKS has written to Johnson requesting he goes back to parliament to correct what he said about the Care Home scandel at PMQs. Whether he didn't know what he was saying or he just straight out lied neither is a good look.

Looks like someone is on the naughty step.

About time too. I see the Speaker has also nixed the idea of a full recall of Parliament, so Boris won't have the vocal backing of his "baaaaa baaaaa boys" to deflect attention from his public filleting. 

Meanwhile, how's the plan going for getting people back to work safely while we protect the vulnerable? 

p.s. latest on UK v Italy, we continue to track their experience almost perfectly - except our numbers are slightly worse ... 

Chart Italy v UK May 13.jpg

Edited by Surfer

7 minutes ago, Surfer said:

p.s. latest on UK v Italy, we continue to track their experience almost perfectly - except our numbers are slightly worse ... 

Chart Italy v UK May 13.jpg

Considering that the two countries have similar-sized populations and UK followed Italy by a fortnight on every measure (lockdown, business closures etc.), who could've seen that coming!?

Meanwhile on Covid  19, a good news story

“(Reuters) - Public Health England (PHE) has given approval to Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding AG's coronavirus antibody test kit, The Telegraph reported late on Wednesday, making it the first such kit approved by Britain's public health agency.

The accuracy of the test was given approval by experts at PHE's Porton Down facility last Thursday, the newspaper said 

The newspaper added it understands that UK's Department of Health and Social Care is in negotiations with Roche to buy millions of the kits.”

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Meanwhile on Covid  19, a good news story

“(Reuters) - Public Health England (PHE) has given approval to Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding AG's coronavirus antibody test kit, The Telegraph reported late on Wednesday, making it the first such kit approved by Britain's public health agency.

The accuracy of the test was given approval by experts at PHE's Porton Down facility last Thursday, the newspaper said 

The newspaper added it understands that UK's Department of Health and Social Care is in negotiations with Roche to buy millions of the kits.”

You mean like what Germany did  sometime ago with millions ordered and production put in place. Why does it always take the UK so much longer to get anything done costing lives and the economy? Serious question. The UK seems to have a systemic problem getting anything done. I’m not saying they  are not genuinely trying to do the right things but the UK really is a shambles when comparing the news in a daily basis. 

Just now, T said:

You mean like what Germany did  sometime ago with millions ordered and production put in place. Why does it always take the UK so much longer to get anything done costing lives and the economy? Serious question. The UK seems to have a systemic problem getting anything done. I’m not saying they  are not genuinely trying to do the right things but the UK really is a shambles when comparing the news in a daily basis. 

Absolute shambles........but good news nevertheless 😉

Meanwhile, based on anti-body tests, it's been estimated that only 5% of the Spanish population has been exposed to CoronaVirus, and this is 10x the number of positive test confirmed cases. I'm not sure if that is good, or bad, news. But it presumably puts to bed any idea of obtaining herd immunity any time soon. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-idUSKBN22P1IK?taid=5ebc6de16e6c390001c578f1&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

p.s. Spanish borders will stay closed until July but when they reopen it will only be for Schengen Area countries, which excludes the UK, so anyone planning on having a holiday in Spain this year - tough luck. 

Edited by Surfer

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Meanwhile, based on anti-body tests, it's been estimated that only 5% of the Spanish population has been exposed to CoronaVirus, and this is 10x the number of positive test confirmed cases. I'm not sure if that is good, or bad, news. But it presumably puts to bed any idea of obtaining herd immunity any time soon. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-idUSKBN22P1IK?taid=5ebc6de16e6c390001c578f1&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Yes. Seems like 15% max in worst affected areas.

I think herd immunity nobody is anywhere near.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

That tallies with results from New York and California too. New York City was as high as 20% and California's Bay Area was 5% 

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It was always a fantasy for those whose political beliefs could see it as an option

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

p.s. Spanish borders will stay closed until July but when they reopen it will only be for Schengen Area countries, which excludes the UK, so anyone planning on having a holiday in Spain this year - tough luck. 

Yes and only those countries with similar low case rates so Austria opening border to Germany but not Italy. So borders to U.K. won’t happen unless get it under control which with 20000 cases a day and no sign of tracing in place isn’t U.K.  Should please the little islander Brexiteers I guess

8 hours ago, Van wink said:

Absolute shambles........but good news nevertheless 😉

Yes but it is positive like saying that there will be some investment in U.K. following Brexit just not as much as their would have been. Sub optimal. Germany has not only approved but purchased and set up a production agreement sometime ago. It would be nice to head the UK was on the ball for once rather than constantly behind the curve. Still at least 2 months behind on tracing and not even got recruitment in place. The UK government is grossly negligent and incompetent. Nationalistic exceptionism we will do things our way is keeping the UK behind. UK needs less jingoism, blue passports and Union Jacks which i understand appeal to the nationalists and more organised action.  They really need to get their act together and it is not going to happen with ideological Incompetent Brexiteers in charge

When did Germany approve this test , my understanding is it was 10 days ago?

When did Germany and when did the U.K. first start clinical trials for a vaccine?

Is it possible that our scientists at Portman Down wanted to be absolutely sure that the test is effective? 

What evidence do you have that recruitment isn’t taking place for track and trace?

Edited by Van wink

RKI reporting R of 0.8.  The number is volatile given the low number of cases and individual outbreaks but allowing for fact this is a lagging indicator does suggest initial release of restrictions is not having a dramatic negative effect currently. 

German authority responsible for vaccine approval reporting that vaccine results in Autumn and approval by end of year is realistic timetable. 

13 hours ago, BigFish said:

On that we must disagree.

For example it is becomming increasingly clear the older people have been sacrificed in order to protect the NHS. Why? Because the government couldn't be seen to have reduced the NHS to a degree it couldn't cope with the crisis. In effect the discharging of the elderly into care homes seeded the virus in that sector. This was a political decision by the Brexit Band. In effect we have a higher death rate than was necessary so we can have empty beds in hospitals.

I will never forgive the Tories for this.

• Like 2

I've had the roads to myself for weeks so have got very complacent, hence a near incident this morning. 😲

New evidence on the effect of vitamin D on covid 19

Sounds like going outside and getting some exercise is good for you 🙂

anyway worth a watch

4 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I will never forgive the Tories for this.

"Ministers faced fresh allegations on Wednesday of failing to prepare care homes for a pandemic, as it emerged that Covid-19 may have killed 22,000 residents in England and Wales – more than twice the official toll.

Council social care directors in England warned the government two years ago, in a series of detailed reports, about care homes’ exposure to a pandemic, the Guardian has learned."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/13/ministers-were-warned-two-years-ago-of-care-homes-exposure-to-pandemics

Thankfully Starmer is taking the right approach. Never mind silly R numbers or other absurd guesswork - lets look at what recommendations the government were following when they did not lock down sooner And importantly are they following the same 'science' now ? A 'science' that appears to differ from elsewhere around the globe and which has caused such a greater number of deaths.

We know that it was the Tory governments' constant cost cutting that left such shortages of PPE, and staff. And it was the very same mindset that caused warnings to be ignored.

Therefore, what is needed is for the advice/reports given by Sage to be publicised as soon as possible to ensure we are not continuing in the same way - and that relaxing restrictions has an economic reason, not a medical one.

So just reminding myself on anti body tests   They are 99.8pc reliable   Developed and produced in Germany by a Swiss company. Germany is getting 3m delivered in May and 5m a month thereafter. Available to all front line staff and will be available to Rat of population for cost of few hundred Euro. Insurance cost coverage still to be agreed. German are looking into immunity passports but while obviously very high probability of immunity extent and duration to be determined. 

Why U.K. still hasn’t got extensive tracing in place which was there from start in Germany is difficult to comprehend 

it looks like the vulnerable will be under effective house arrest indefinitely until U.K. finally gets to grips with this. Not a lot of individual sovereignty there. Be careful what you vote for. 

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've had the roads to myself for weeks so have got very complacent, hence a near incident this morning. 😲

Take care Hermy, can I recommend a penny farthing, much better visibility.

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is the close proximity over a longer period (15 mins) that is where the danger lies - and fancy dress can do little bar re-assure those involved that they are 'doing something'.

The danger there is that such 'Harry Potter invisible to viruses' cloaks will lead to folk lowering precautionary actions.