Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not that I wish to defend China and its bears or traditional medicine but didn't we only just close spending NHS money on homeopathy only a year or two back. The there's the British mad cow disease the world thanked us for....

Yes unbelievable.

Some absolutely unbelievable videos on twitter of them cooking dogs alive. In a world of political correctness I can’t write on here what I think of them

• Like 1

In the daily brief one speaker said that there is some evidence that community infection rate is now below 1. 

Absolutely fantastic news if this is true.

Even if true nothing like the end of the story but it goes to show that a few weeks of sacrifice does make a difference 

36 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not that I wish to defend China and its bears or traditional medicine but didn't we only just close spending NHS money on homeopathy only a year or two back. The there's the British mad cow disease the world thanked us for....

Yes unbelievable.

There's homeopathy and then there is sticking a metal straw into a bear's gall bladder whilst it's still alive to drain the fluids from it, whilst it's in a cage that is way too small, where it has spent it's entire life.... I'm not going to defend homeopathy but I'm not convinced that there's any kind of true comparison to be made... that's without even mentioning rhino horn or tiger penis or any other ridiculous ****e they believe. Mad cow disease came from contaminated feeding of cows, not humans eating rodents and various endangered animals.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

In the daily brief one speaker said that there is some evidence that community infection rate is now below 1. 

Absolutely fantastic news if this is true.

Even if true nothing like the end of the story but it goes to show that a few weeks of sacrifice does make a difference 

I missed that - who was it?

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hope he's ok KG

Yes, I can see why you're concerned Grandadio, if his temperature  goes over 38c then he can be considered running a fever , but as your  girlfriend is a nurse you'll have better advice than I can offer. Wishing  you Good health in Kernow. 

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

There's homeopathy and then there is sticking a metal straw into a bear's gall bladder whilst it's still alive to drain the fluids from it, whilst it's in a cage that is way too small, where it has spent it's entire life.... I'm not going to defend homeopathy but I'm not convinced that there's any kind of true comparison to be made... that's without even mentioning rhino horn or tiger penis or any other ridiculous ****e they believe. Mad cow disease came from contaminated feeding of cows, not humans eating rodents and various endangered animals.

I’ve long been done with them as a nation. I hope this is the event that wakes the world up to them 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Worldometer has this information.  It seems to be as reliable.as the reporting.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Yup thats my "go to"...there are others just as good,,,BnO, John Hopkins etc but they are all pretty much  close to each other in general numbers. Ive been using Worldometer for 2 months so i stick with that one.

Turkey is shooting up the chart...10th highest nation for cases now...yet they only recorded their first case on March 18th...supposedly.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

There's homeopathy and then there is sticking a metal straw into a bear's gall bladder whilst it's still alive to drain the fluids from it, whilst it's in a cage that is way too small.... that's without even mentioning rhino horn or tiger penis or any other ridiculous ****e they believe. Mad cow disease came from contaminated feeding of cows, not humans eating rodents and various endangered animals.

Many of the fundamentals of chinese healthcare are very smart, for instance you pay your doctor  when you are well and they have an overview of health that holistic.  But there are some chinese that follow a totally irrational connection betweeen certain animals parts and different forms if potency improvement.... something that would have looked out of  date in the dark ages.  Just goes to show that in the most voracious technologically advanced nation there are still many dark corners of ignorance.  So glad I live in Europe , despite  its current travails.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Many of the fundamentals of chinese healthcare are very smart, for instance you pay your doctor  when you are well and they have an overview of health that holistic.  But there are some chinese that follow a totally irrational connection betweeen certain animals parts and different forms if potency improvement.... something that would have looked out of  date in the dark ages.  Just goes to show that in the most voracious technologically advanced nation there are still many dark corners of ignorance.  So glad I live in Europe , despite  its current travails.

The problem is that its the small, powerful Chinese elite that have these insatiable appetities for all manner of all parts of strange and alien creatures, then disguising their habits by tacking those habits onto traditional Chinese medicines, its why those disgusting food markets are allowed to exist, its the elite class that allow them to, for their own satisfactions. The entire population of China should not be tarred with the same brush, indeed the majority dont eat meat from wild animals as the elite do.

The entire world is now paying the price for that Chinese elite. Yes its currently bad in Europe, but potentially its going to be  much worse even in the 3rd world. Studying Worldometer, just 7-10 days ago, big populated nations like  Brazil, India, Philippines, Indonesia ,Pakistan, many others, had  new daily cases well under a hundred a day but now are having 100s a day...Brazil had over 1000 new cases today..i cant begin to imagine what such places will be like over the coming weeks.

Not even mentioned Africa either...goodness knows what to expect there..their health care systems are mostly archaic at best. I know of one nation...Central  African Republic...have a grand total of 3 ventilators for their 5 million population. As bad as its becoming here...i would not wish to be in these other places in the coming months.

• Like 1

A very worthy read

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nhs-coronavirus-tests-matt-hancock-equipment-doctors-nurses-a9444231.html

and no slippery spin on here or elsewhere will distract from where the blame lies

people who were deemed 'unskilled' a few months back are now 'heroes'

to paraphrase Kipling

“If any question why they died,

Tell them, because our politicians lied,

As we wanted them to,"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

A very worthy read

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nhs-coronavirus-tests-matt-hancock-equipment-doctors-nurses-a9444231.html

and no slippery spin on here or elsewhere will distract from where the blame lies

to paraphrase Kipling

As we wanted them to,"

Sometimes Billo, you do nail it. Not always,  but sometimes. 

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

@Aggy, As a PS. having the 3 people leading the strategy (4 if you include Cummings) out of action for catching the virus when their main thrust has been about protecting ourselves and others is incredible and diminishes trust. Yet, we just hear that it doesn't discriminate. Yes, of course it doesn't.

Quite an embarrassment really.

To be fair, the main idea behind protecting yourselves and others has mainly been ‘stay at home’, something I don’t think Boris et al could really have done. 

As for your first post, regarding trust, yes you’re probably right, but I think the economic package that has been provided (fairly quickly as well other than perhaps for the self employed) will also live long in the memory - especially as I fear we will be seeing absolute devastation for huge numbers of people in some countries where the economic package isn’t anywhere near as good as ours. 

The other point I made yesterday though is that how the government reacted to the outbreak is only one part of the story. The other is the long term lack of funding of the NHS. I’m sure there will be more than a few people considering how a decade of austerity under the Tories may or may not have impacted things.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bill said:

it has already eased as I see plenty of folks out and about - as ones or twos, ao it is a sort of halfway house

one of the reasons I suspect is that isn't too many places to go with so much closed

this is mostly going to be self determined as opposed to dictated - and I suspect the high number of deaths in recent days may well cause some to have second thoughts about going too far

and I would think 6 weeks is way beyond consideration, nevermind 6 months

I live fairly centrally in Manchester and the centre itself (as you’d expect as it’s largely offices and retail etc.) and the (more heavily residential) outskirts are still extremely quiet. 

I ventured out of town for a (non-corona related) hospital appointment this evening though and it was comparatively teeming! 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

A very worthy read

to paraphrase Kipling

As we wanted them to,"

Sorry for multiple posts in a row, replying to one at a time as I read through. It’s a good article Bill.

What I would say though is that to an extent doctors and nurses in certain departments do put their lives at risk every day of their careers. They deal with infectious diseases all the time. They haven’t had the right equipment for years. Again, it comes down to the point I have made a couple of times now. Regardless of what the government has or hasn’t done or how quickly it has done it in the last two months, my far bigger concern is the longer term funding.

I’ve said that I don’t think you can ever fully prepare for every possible pandemic that there ever might be. I think however well funded/prepared the NHS had been, we would have been scrapping around urgently trying to find more masks and ventilators when coronavirus hit. But take, for instance, hospital beds. Simple beds. That’s not specific to a certain pandemic. You don’t need a face mask to treat someone with cancer, but a hospital bed helps. In 2007, 88 per cent of acute trusts said one of the main reasons they failed to hit their a&e targets was a lack of beds. Thirteen years later and we’re scrapping around because we still don’t have enough beds.

The rhetoric the article criticises Hancock for using is not much different to the idea behind the public clapping for the NHS. It’s is a lovely thing, but it’s almost as if people think the NHS staff are stepping up for their country to deal with some sort of war time crisis. In fact, they’re just doing what they do every day, with a lack of funding they try to deal with every day as best they can, it’s just a different disease. Are those people who voted for austerity but are now out clapping the NHS staff any different to Hancock using his “war” rhetoric?

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

Face Masks.

Seems to be a push worldwide for wearing these mythical products now.

Ive been trying to get some since mid February, in shops they seem rarer than toilet rolls, online ive ordered packs of them from 3 different places, 2 in UK and one from abroad for more than a month.

Its been said most Brits dont wear face masks, maybe from above is the reason why.

Personally, as a Darwinist I'm not a fan of social isolation. People should be spreading the virus as much as possible. This way we will make sure that it is only the strongest that survive, which will form a stronger human race.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

Face Masks.

Seems to be a push worldwide for wearing these mythical products now.

Ive been trying to get some since mid February, in shops they seem rarer than toilet rolls, online ive ordered packs of them from 3 different places, 2 in UK and one from abroad for more than a month.

Its been said most Brits dont wear face masks, maybe from above is the reason why.

As a curiosity, everyone in Italy is wearing them but hardly anyone in the UK. I wear one here in Italy every time I leave the house: not because I think they actually achieve anything, but simply because I don't want to be the ignorant foreigner not following the local rules.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Yup thats my "go to"...there are others just as good,,,BnO, John Hopkins etc but they are all pretty much  close to each other in general numbers. Ive been using Worldometer for 2 months so i stick with that one.

Turkey is shooting up the chart...10th highest nation for cases now...yet they only recorded their first case on March 18th...supposedly.

Thats the site I use too.

I just couldn't see how you got to the conclusion that, per capita, the Netherlands was up there with Spain.

Spain is averaging over 800 deaths a day with just less than 3 times the population of the Netherlands so I would have thought that the Netherlands would have to see closer to 300 deaths per day (rather than 166) to be comparable - or have I stupidly missed something simple ?

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

Thats the site I use too.

I just couldn't see how you got to the conclusion that, per capita, the Netherlands was up there with Spain.

Spain is averaging over 800 deaths a day with just less than 3 times the population of the Netherlands so I would have thought that the Netherlands would have to see closer to 300 deaths per day (rather than 166) to be comparable - or have I stupidly missed something simple ?

Doesn't the final column show deaths per million of the population? Spain is over 200 whereas recently The Netherlands was 78.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Doesn't the final column show deaths per million of the population? Spain is over 200 whereas recently The Netherlands was 78.

Ah yes, thanks sonyc.

I didn't actually click on the link as I have several of the individual country pages open. So yes, the Netherlands is well below Spain at the moment although I guess we don't know what the future holds. 

Indeed Mark. Spain has the highest numbers of death absolutely too. As those other graphs show most countries follow quite a typical progression / trajectory. Death rates may be later explained by age profiles amongst other factors (smoking I've read is one).

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Indeed Mark. Spain has the highest numbers of death absolutely too. As those other graphs show most countries follow quite a typical progression / trajectory. Death rates may be later explained by age profiles amongst other factors (smoking I've read is one).

Yes, I agree. I've seen the charts which show most countries follow a 35% then 22% then 13% increase in cases before pretty much plateauing. We seem to be currently just below the 13%.

It is all going to be very confusing if they double the amount of testing though. Maybe a better indication then would be how many cases a day are admitted into hospital, if we had the historical data for that statistic it might be the easiest way to track when we are peaking.  

Agree. Also it's a pity we don't have a way to recognise that apparently 2m or maybe more (not everyone has contacted 111) have had CV. Secondly, I wish we would also record recoveries. I know of 3 myself. We must all know of someone. It would mean the media could also run a different narrative alongside!

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Agree. Also it's a pity we don't have a way to recognise that apparently 2m or maybe more (not everyone has contacted 111) have had CV. Secondly, I wish we would also record recoveries. I know of 3 myself. We must all know of someone. It would mean the media could also run a different narrative alongside!

Yes, I find it particularly incredible that we seem to be unable to produce numbers of recovered cases.

2 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yes, I find it particularly incredible that we seem to be unable to produce numbers of recovered cases.

Another obvious issue when looking at any of the sites, Worldometer, John Hopkins etc is that because the UK has not recorded recoveries since March 22nd it makes other numbers inaccurate to, such as Active Cases. For example Worldometer has UK having 33, 718  confirmed cases, of which 2.921 died and 135 recovered, they subtract that from confirmed  total and leave the rest as "Active cases" which in UK is shown as 30,662...so people recovered in UK since March 22nd, such as Prince Charles, are still included as an active case. This is another reason why a recovery list is needed.

One reason why sites like Worldometer should not have a % chart for closed cases (deaths and recoveries) is that its completely meaningless..the UK has 2921 deaths and 135 recoveries...so Worldometer has the death percentage for closed cases here at 96%.

Edited by Essjayess
added words

15 hours ago, Bill said:

A very worthy read

to paraphrase Kipling

As we wanted them to,"

They are still unskilled...but now they are heroes. Who knew events could change the nature of things, or that people could be both...I’d argue most reasonable people know.

God this thread is full of boring political grandstanding.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1