Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

See the issue I have is that as some news outlets, drama of Coronavirus takes hold to make it sound dramatic. My question is valid, as how many were seriously ill with limited life expectations? It’s all well and good jumping on here saying four died of the Coronavirus without backing it up withal the facts, how old, what conditions were they already threatened with, we’re they already terminally ill etc.

Unfortunately death is inevitable,scaremongering is not acceptable, it’s sad that anyone has to face it, but you’re lack of compassion for those who are now faced with potentially losing their job, houses, livelihoods against your focus on Coronavirus deaths is frightening. The government and all of us are doing as we’re told, I’m out of work for possibly years as some others, working for myself in my industry along with millions of others, now facing massive stresses, please forgive me if I don’t share your narrow view.

What more facts do you need? I started the thread by saying my Grandson's Girlfriend has just finished her duty at the Hospital. Are you saying she is lying? What proof do you need? Shall I say you are a serial killer because you haven't proved to me your aren't.

You are obsessed about the financial side of this crisis. And to me you sound a bit frightened of the future. Believe me, I can't make it any better. Lots are going to die and the economy is going **** up.

Personally, my major concern is health.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

See the issue I have is that as some news outlets, drama of Coronavirus takes hold to make it sound dramatic. My question is valid, as how many were seriously ill with limited life expectations? It’s all well and good jumping on here saying four died of the Coronavirus without backing it up withal the facts, how old, what conditions were they already threatened with, we’re they already terminally ill etc.

Unfortunately death is inevitable,scaremongering is not acceptable, it’s sad that anyone has to face it, but you’re lack of compassion for those who are now faced with potentially losing their job, houses, livelihoods against your focus on Coronavirus deaths is frightening. The government and all of us are doing as we’re told, I’m out of work for possibly years as some others, working for myself in my industry along with millions of others, now facing massive stresses, please forgive me if I don’t share your narrow view.

What more facts do you need? I started the thread by saying my Grandson's Girlfriend has just finished her duty at the Hospital. Are you saying she is lying? What proof do you need? Shall I say you are a serial killer because you haven't proved to me your aren't.

You are obsessed about the financial side of this crisis. And to me you sound a bit frightened of the future. Believe me, I can't make it any better. Lots are going to die and the economy is going **** up.

Yes sounds like you might have misunderstood or yes lying! As above, or just like to be a scaremongerer.....

Edited by Indy

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Health before wealth. Every. Single. Time.

Local supermarkets down here can’t employ people quick enough, so if people get truly desperate... there is always a way.

Actually Keelan just looked it up, looks like bull****e as it’s said four die this week! Is this the hospital you’re on about?

The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust has issued a statement after the death of four patients.

The trust confirmed today that four patients died this week after testing positive for COVID-19 coronavirus

You mate are a fookin looney. Four have died. It was released today. Where have I bulled. Does it matter what day. My Grandson's girlfriend wasn't told until this evening. I suppose they have to make sure all relatives are told.

Cornwall is a small county let alone town or city. But it is full of more older people than other places. For us, you do believe I live in Cornwall don't you, it is a major step. If it can take a hold in a county that is far more remote than many others then we do have problems. That is why people are being urged to stay away.

You are bricking it aren't you. From the tone of your posts and the way you have stalked me on this subject, you are in panic mode.

Yes sounds like you might have misunderstood or yes lying! As above, or just like to be a scaremongerer.....

You are really pushing it. You are the frightened one. I have taken precautions. I am not worried. I have my pension and money in the bank. I can't help your circumstances and from your tone I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire.

Now we just need to ignore each other. 

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Actually Keelan just looked it up, looks like bull****e as it’s said four die this week! Is this the hospital you’re on about?

The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust has issued a statement after the death of four patients.

The trust confirmed today that four patients died this week after testing positive for COVID-19 coronavirus

You mate are a fookin looney. Four have died. It was released today. Where have I bulled. Does it matter what day. My Grandson's girlfriend wasn't told until this evening. I suppose they have to make sure all relatives are told.

Cornwall is a small county let alone town or city. But it is full of more older people than other places. For us, you do believe I live in Cornwall don't you, it is a major step. If it can take a hold in a county that is far more remote than many others then we do have problems. That is why people are being urged to stay away.

You are bricking it aren't you. From the tone of your posts and the way you have stalked me on this subject, you are in panic mode.

That’s not what you said you made it out as though four died today! I’ve worked you out for what you are a dangerous drama news spreader! I’m not stalking you but pointing out just how much negative damage you can have on people with bull****e! I expect you now to go back to yours original post and re-hash it!

Edited by Indy

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You do seem to be having a problem understanding my threads. I apologise if I have made them obscure. But to me you seem to be brushing off the health side matter of factly and concentrating on economic matters.

•  

I’ve got no idea how old Indy is or what his health is like, and don’t pretend to speak for him. I did though say on another thread a couple of days ago that it’s a tricky balancing act for the government - too long in “lockdown” and you’ll end up with tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands or even millions) of otherwise healthy people out of work and possibly out of a home. That leads to even more pressure on the NHS, more (younger and otherwise low/no risk as well as elderly “at risk”) people dying. 

The economic side of this shouldn’t be overlooked or belittled. The government’s wage subsidy lasts (at the moment) three months from the start of March I believe. Where does the money come from after that? If you’re a single mother in your twenties who has just been laid off because your employer can’t afford to keep you on, then the economic risk of an extended lockdown is significantly higher than the risk of any serious health issue if you catch Coronavirus.  I said it in a separate thread and have no scruples in repeating it - if it comes to a straight choice between (1) having twenty thousand deaths as a result of Coronavirus  or (2) millions unemployed and likely twenty thousand deaths as a result of the increased poverty and malnutrition anyway, then the government has to pick option 1.

Saying “health over wealth” is all well and good until the wealth has deteriorated to such an extent that people’s health is seriously impacted.

Anyone in a risk category discarding the economic concerns of younger “no risk” people is being equally as selfish as those “non risk” people stockpiling unnecessarily. Add in to the mix Brexit (where - generally speaking - the elder generation voted differently to the younger generation) and a general sense of imbalance in respect of things such as housing (where those of a certain age could buy a nice house for a few thousand thirty years ago while most people under thirty now can hardly afford rent never mind save up for a deposit) and you’ve got a bit of a generational stand off.

All would do well to consider what everyone else is going through.... Laughing at people because they are “bricking it” because their whole future and that of their family is at risk is equally as abhorrent as suggesting that old people should fend for themselves and everyone else should carry on as normal. I’m not sure anyone is coming out recent posts with much glory....

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I’ve got no idea how old Indy is or what his health is like, and don’t pretend to speak for him. I did though say on another thread a couple of days ago that it’s a tricky balancing act for the government - too long in “lockdown” and you’ll end up with tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands or even millions) of otherwise healthy people out of work and possibly out of a home. That leads to even more pressure on the NHS, more (younger and otherwise low/no risk as well as elderly “at risk”) people dying. 

The economic side of this shouldn’t be overlooked or belittled. The government’s wage subsidy lasts (at the moment) three months from the start of March I believe. Where does the money come from after that? If you’re a single mother in your twenties who has just been laid off because your employer can’t afford to keep you on, then the economic risk of an extended lockdown is significantly higher than the risk of any serious health issue if you catch Coronavirus.  I said it in a separate thread and have no scruples in repeating it - if it comes to a straight choice between (1) having twenty thousand deaths as a result of Coronavirus  or (2) millions unemployed and likely twenty thousand deaths as a result of the increased poverty and malnutrition anyway, then the government has to pick option 1.

Saying “health over wealth” is all well and good until the wealth has deteriorated to such an extent that people’s health is seriously impacted.

Anyone in a risk category discarding the economic concerns of younger “no risk” people is being equally as selfish as those “non risk” people stockpiling unnecessarily. Add in to the mix Brexit (where - generally speaking - the elder generation voted differently to the younger generation) and a general sense of imbalance in respect of things such as housing (where those of a certain age could buy a nice house for a few thousand thirty years ago while most people under thirty now can hardly afford rent never mind save up for a deposit) and you’ve got a bit of a generational stand off.

All would do well to consider what everyone else is going through.... Laughing at people because they are “bricking it” because their whole future and that of their family is at risk is equally as abhorrent as suggesting that old people should fend for themselves and everyone else should carry on as normal. I’m not sure anyone is coming out recent posts with much glory....

Aggy, I have a decent enough pension pot, shrinking every week, own my own house, have no immediate concerns but know a few who have major issues and are very stressed, big mortgages, young families and now unemployed as they were working on ir35 contracts in London.

My issue is his very dramatic portrayal of this when it’s clearly a lie!

Keelan original post:

Grandson's girlfriend has just finished her duty at Hospital and said four have died today. That is a big number for us and to some extent it is like having a terrorist attack in Redruth. It shouldn't happen. It will put the frighteners on so many down here. We aren't used to crises.

The reality, four died this week in that trust! All over 70 and all with serious underlying conditions.

He went on the attack when called out!

Edited by Indy

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Aggy, I have a decent enough pension, own my own house, have no immediate concerns but know a few who have major issues and are very stressed, big mortgages, young families and now unemployed as they were working on ir35 contracts in London.

His portrayal might not have been wholly accurate, but that doesn't mean it was low.

Of course the economics is important and a trashed economy might well prove to be a bigger killer in the long run. But better to my mind to prioritize the immediate health issue.  This crisis wont last but death is permanent and everyone that is now gone and will be gone  will have lost exactly  100% of their remaining life.

I nearly became a contractor and certainly the option to pay dividends as opposed to salary was certainly tempting from a tax perspective.   I'm glad I didn't.

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

His portrayal might not have been wholly accurate, but that doesn't mean it was low.

Of course the economics is important and a trashed economy might well prove to be a bigger killer in the long run. But better to my mind to prioritize the immediate health issue.  This crisis wont last but death is permanent and everyone that is now gone and will be gone  will have lost exactly  100% of their remaining life.

I nearly became a contractor and certainly the option to pay dividends as opposed to salary was certainly tempting from a tax perspective.   I'm glad I didn't.

Hey I’m all for the measures and said on the other thread how I’m pleased with this government’s handling of this, but I dislike this over reacting and reporting bull****e! This is what Keelan said....

Grandson's girlfriend has just finished her duty at Hospital and said four have died today. That is a big number for us and to some extent it is like having a terrorist attack in Redruth. It shouldn't happen. It will put the frighteners on so many down here. We aren't used to crises.

As I said the reality, four died this week in that trust! All over 70 and all with serious underlying conditions. Not nice but in perspective not like a terrorist attack in Redruth!

He went on the attack when called out!

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I believe the peak will now come towards the end of April and only then gradually improve. Our health and the economy are interlinked. A national crisis is about to unfold in the next 10 to 14 days.

Let's be kind to each other. It's worrying for everyone and in different ways and at different levels. No one person's pain is worse than another, we all have value.

• Like 2

You are dead lucky you aren't stood in front of me or you would be picking up your teeth with  broken arm. You do not live in Cornwall or work at the Hospital. And if you think my Grandson's girlfriend or me are liars then you want to be careful what you say. It has been apparent from your post that you are not calm and are frightened and have even called expert advice into question. JF found tha tout.

There was no lie. As of last night, no-one not involved in IC was told of the deaths. Today they were so today as far as the  majority of the staff were concerned, four people had died. That isn't scaremongering as the truth cannot scare you.

I can't help it if the news scares you.

Now leave my name out of any posts in future because you are being completely pathetic.

So hang on, we’re there 4 deaths in one hospital in Cornwall today (or yesterday) or have there been 4 in the last week in the whole trust? Staff Being About the 4 deaths on the same day doesn’t clarify this for me, could someone please say what the facts are? Cheers. 

Edited by Rivvo
Typo

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are dead lucky you aren't stood in front of me or you would be picking up your teeth with  broken arm. You do not live in Cornwall or work at the Hospital. And if you think my Grandson's girlfriend or me are liars then you want to be careful what you say. It has been apparent from your post that you are not calm and are frightened and have even called expert advice into question. JF found tha tout.

There was no lie. As of last night, no-one not involved in IC was told of the deaths. Today they were so today as far as the  majority of the staff were concerned, four people had died. That isn't scaremongering as the truth cannot scare you.

I can't help it if the news scares you.

Now leave my name out of any posts in future because you are being completely pathetic.

Sad little man aren’t you, can’t apologise for being wrong, posting a lie then liking it to a Terror attack!

As for being scared not at all been through far tougher situation my angry little lying friend....still here. Like you said we’ll bypass each other.

You posted! 

The reality, four died this week in that trust! All over 70 and all with serious underlying conditions. Is that not a lie?

35 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Let's be kind to each other. It's worrying for everyone and in different ways and at different levels. No one person's pain is worse than another, we all have value.

This, in spades. I'm fortunate in so much as I am pretty well protected from the economic hit of this anyway, but I'm going to have to continue to put my family at risk looking after the kids of other keyworkers - I don't begrudge it one bit (well apart from the raging atheist in me being frustrated that somehow staff of religious organisations have made it onto the keyworker list).

I don't feel I'm any more or less valuable than the guy delivering food, or the hotel receptionists put out of a job overnight - we all have our own part to play, and all you can do, is do your bit.

Be kind, stick together and do what you can, but for ****s sake stop the petty bickering over minutiae.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

So hang on, we’re there 4 deaths in one hospital in Cornwall today (or yesterday) or have there been 4 in the last week in the whole trust? Staff Being About the 4 deaths on the same day doesn’t clarify this for me, could someone please say what the facts are? Cheers. 

Dead simple - 4 deaths this week but kept under wraps by hospital chief's. KG's grandson's girlfriend works at hospital and was informed of the deaths today along with other staff - obviously not clearly communicated that the deaths had occurred through the week and people misunderstood and thought they'd all happened today. Not rocket science to work out how thats happened, and also not worth slinging mud and backbiting over.

Not sure people dying is minutaie KIO, but I’m sure you didn’t mean it like that. Trouble is people are posting all sorts of stuff and sharing it and if it’s inaccurate they really shouldn’t, the TV news is showing daily pictures of supermarkets with empty shelves when I’ve not seen any in that state for several days, it feeds the fear of ordinary people and that should be discouraged in my opinion.

Great artical on BBC website highlighting that if this is controlled correctly they expect 20,000 people to die from this virus in the UK.

The thing is that most of these people would have died anyway from virus' other than Corona. On top of that because we will he mainly house bound, murders will go down (not entirely sure that's correct as my other half is already doing my suede in!) and RTA's will be considerably lower.

All this results in the usual 500,000 people that die each year being maintained or even lowered. 

All iff's and buts I know but a good incite. 

10 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Not sure people dying is minutaie KIO, but I’m sure you didn’t mean it like that. Trouble is people are posting all sorts of stuff and sharing it and if it’s inaccurate they really shouldn’t, the TV news is showing daily pictures of supermarkets with empty shelves when I’ve not seen any in that state for several days, it feeds the fear of ordinary people and that should be discouraged in my opinion.

I didn't mean it like that - I just want people to stop the petty arguing.

I've been to two supermarkets today and roughly 60% of shelves were bare in one and 50% in the other, so there's definitely some semblance of truth. Have heard from others in the local area that certain supermarkets had completely stripped aisles on Thursday - there was literally no meat at all in one massive store.

I agree with your sentiment about media feeding the frenzy but people need some ****ing common sense too... the supermarkets have enough food to go around if they stopped being selfish ****.

Absolutely mate but the the frenzy is being fed by irresponsible reporting, fake news (not Trump definition) and people reporting stuff with good intentions but without checking the veracity. I went in Lidl this morning and the only shortage was tinned goods and toilet roll (none) Tesco was pretty much fully stocked again apart from toilet roll, WTF is it with toilet roll? Who uses that much... ever?

2 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Absolutely mate but the the frenzy is being fed by irresponsible reporting, fake news (not Trump definition) and people reporting stuff with good intentions but without checking the veracity. I went in Lidl this morning and the only shortage was tinned goods and toilet roll (none) Tesco was pretty much fully stocked again apart from toilet roll, WTF is it with toilet roll? Who uses that much... ever?

People are shi**ing themselves. 

• Haha 1

Hi Rivvo. here are the facts from somebody actually close to someone who works at the Hospital not someone maybe hundreds of miles away.

Last weekend, there were no cases of Covid 19 at Treliske Hospital in Truro. The eight who had tested positive had been sent home or certainly left the hospital.

By the beginning of the week, two more were admitted and had tested positive.

In Cornwall, an area of high density of elderly, things were calm although obviously the talk was of the increase throughout the country and the amount of people coming into the county.

My Grandson's Girlfriend had two days off work and went back Thursday and was not told of any cases or any deaths. She finished her shift tonight and came round to tell us that  four people had died. She found out today. Whether they had died today or not, the number was released to the staff today. I listen to Radio Cornwall throughout the week and the local BBC news and nothing was mentioned until today. maybe it was because relatives had to be contacted. I don't know.

I referred to a terrorist attack in a post. It was an illustration of the magnitude the news was. If we had been told someone had blown up the cinema it wouldn't have had any more effect. This is serious news for this area. And if the authorities had waited until today to tell us, then we are all disappointed not be told asap.

I object to Indy telling me, and others, what it means and what is happening. He has no knowledge and is only getting his news from the media. I had it from the horses mouth.

I don't like losing my temper and he has made me do it. I wouldn't dare accuse people of lying and scaremongering especially when I don't know anything about it. Most of his posts have been about the economy and how it is more important than people's health and castigated me for worrying about our staff's health. I let it go. But to call me a liar is beyond the pale. I have no wish to correspond with him anymore.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Things are now being ramped up further in Italy tonight, including no persons to be leaving their home for exercise, even in isolation...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51991972

Ultimately, I don't think that much has changed with this announcement. It's just an extension of the lockdown with a couple more reasons for going out taken away. I can't see my life being changed any more as I'm only leaving the house to go to the supermarket and the butcher's.

I think Italy's numbers have continued to rise over the past fortnight as a result of people not taking it that seriously up until then (like the UK now, basically) and because of the tens of thousands southerners living up north who returned home over the weekend of March 7-8 to beat the lockdown once it was announced. This caused a national lockdown on March 10 and a huge increase in cases in the south, with a large number of them being relatives of those ****** who came down from the north.

However, in the last week or so there seems to be much more acceptance. People are making fewer and fewer journeys outside the house and only going out for essential items. Hopefully this should lead to a reduction in cases over the next fortnight or so, but the Prime Minister has said tonight that he expects Lombardy's peak to be at the beginning of April and the rest of the country's in the middle. Using this logic, the UK's should be around the end of April as everything is about a fortnight behind.

I can't understand why the measures that Italy have put in place have had no positive reaction compared to China where the virus was supposed to originate. 

Italy has 1/80th the population of China and they have more deaths and almost as many cases. 

Something doesn't add up. 

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Hi Rivvo. here are the facts from somebody actually close to someone who works at the Hospital not someone maybe hundreds of miles away.

Last weekend, there were no cases of Covid 19 at Treliske Hospital in Truro. The eight who had tested positive had been sent home or certainly left the hospital.

In Cornwall, an area of high density of elderly, things were calm although obviously the talk was of the increase throughout the country and the amount of people coming into the county.

My Grandson's Girlfriend had two days off work and went back Thursday and was not told of any cases or any deaths. She finished her shift tonight and came round to tell us that  four people had died. She found out today. Whether they had died today or not, the number was released to the staff today. I listen to Radio Cornwall throughout the week and the local BBC news and nothing was mentioned until today. maybe it was because relatives had to be contacted. I don't know.

I referred to a terrorist attack in a post. It was an illustration of the magnitude the news was. If we had been told someone had blown up the cinema it wouldn't have had any more effect. This is serious news for this area. And if the authorities had waited until today to tell us, then we are all disappointed not be told asap.

I object to Indy telling me, and others, what it means and what is happening. He has no knowledge and is only getting his news from the media. I had it from the horses mouth.

I don't like losing my temper and he has made me do it. I wouldn't dare accuse people of lying and scaremongering especially when I don't know anything about it. Most of his posts have been about the economy and how it is more important than people's health and castigated me for worrying about our staff's health. I let it go. But to call me a liar is beyond the pale. I have no wish to correspond with him anymore.

Hi Keelan, I can totally understand your frustration and anger, this particularly case is very close to your heart, with family involved, I think most people would quite reasonably take this to heart given the circumstances. Regardless of when those poor souls passed away, I’m sure everybody on the Pink’un is very grateful indeed for the extremely hard work and dedication, which is taxing both physically and mentally, that your grandson’s girlfriend is unfortunately having to endure right now as we head into these unchartered waters. And thanks also to all the other posters on here whom are involved in the NHS and the emergency services as a whole. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for all concerned, and totally get why you’ve got annoyed over the finer details which, let’s face it, really doesn’t need to be argued about. Let’s all try and keep our respective chins up, we need total solidarity, and this message boards great community will help in its own little way over the coming weeks and months, I suspect more than we possibly realise right now 🙏

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Ultimately, I don't think that much has changed with this announcement. It's just an extension of the lockdown with a couple more reasons for going out taken away. I can't see my life being changed any more as I'm only leaving the house to go to the supermarket and the butcher's.

I think Italy's numbers have continued to rise over the past fortnight as a result of people not taking it that seriously up until then (like the UK now, basically) and because of the tens of thousands southerners living up north who returned home over the weekend of March 7-8 to beat the lockdown once it was announced. This caused a national lockdown on March 10 and a huge increase in cases in the south, with a large number of them being relatives of those ****** who came down from the north.

However, in the last week or so there seems to be much more acceptance. People are making fewer and fewer journeys outside the house and only going out for essential items. Hopefully this should lead to a reduction in cases over the next fortnight or so, but the Prime Minister has said tonight that he expects Lombardy's peak to be at the beginning of April and the rest of the country's in the middle. Using this logic, the UK's should be around the end of April as everything is about a fortnight behind.

Thanks for the info, Wacky 👍🏼. I have to say, I watched a live stream of Conte addressing the nation recently and he really impressed me, seems a very measured good guy from what I saw, somewhat different to the likes of Silvio Berlusconi etc. Stay safe man 🙏 🇮🇹 

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

My posts have been about focusing on a balanced approach as others haven’t, it’s vitally important to come out of this with an economy and as little impact to ensure we have the money to continue an NHS.

Lets call a truce, you’re original post sensationalised the real events, and I reacted as you likened it to a terror attack, well I’m sure those parents and kids from the Manchester attack might disagree with you! I did ask for the full facts a few times then pointed them out. 
We all want the same thing and we have different views on priorities, this is probably to do with age and how things are effecting our areas, here I have a lot of friends here and in my industry who are very concerned, I’m sure you have too.

You’re grandsons girlfriend must be and amazing girl to be working in such a challenging environment, full respect to her, wholeheartedly.

My apology for mentioning you as lying, just misunderstanding each other, let’s move on.

Edited by Indy

6 hours ago, Rivvo said:

An excellent reason to stay off social media at the moment. 

I'm sticking with the old saying - Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. 

• Like 1