Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

I wonder why they don't visit Germany? It's astonishing that they have such a low death rate c.f. known cases - less than 5% that of Italy. It might be instructive to try & find out why.

19 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I've never watched TV news in the same way since it emerged that they sometimes pay poor people to cry for the cameras in war or famine zones.  It may not happen often (I certainly hope not) but you never really know exactly what you're watching.

Nothing new,

The outside reporter in the fictional TV seriesn Drop the Dead Donkey carried a teddy bear with him so as to make for a more tragic scene when covering a bad accident etc

The WW2 photo of the milman walking across a bomb site was staged using a model

And try checking the footage used in 1984 at Orgreave which supposedly showed the miners attacking the police. Channel 4 used footage from a German TV crew which showed it was the othekr way round, that the head copper;s claims of the sequence of events was a lie and later newspaper reports used made up quotes.

Sky new has always been unreliable as not being a public broadcaster it's allegiance is to the bottom line - profit. Sensationalism sells.

Remember how long the press carried the lie that City fans chanted 'you black bassted' at Goodison Park

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Remember how long the press carried the lie that City fans chanted 'you black bassted' at Goodison Park

I certainly do, I was there.  Someone apparently misheard "You fat - " aimed at chubby Master Rooney (what a long time ago it was!) for "You black - " aimed at Joseph Yobo and reported it.  Can''t help thinking there was a touch of rural stereotyping on their part - ignorant rednecks and all that.  Everton never did accept they were wrong.

12 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I wonder why they don't visit Germany? It's astonishing that they have such a low death rate c.f. known cases - less than 5% that of Italy. It might be instructive to try & find out why.

Ron, I have family in Nuremberg, they all live app art, friends in Northern Italy who have four generations living in the same house, it’s a large house but all together. In times like this it’s noticeable those societies who like us have independent homes can self isolate better.

Germans in general are very compliant and will do what’s necessary, other nations don’t. But the figures are baffling really.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Nothing new,

The outside reporter in the fictional TV seriesn Drop the Dead Donkey carried a teddy bear with him so as to make for a more tragic scene when covering a bad accident etc

Damien Day! Whilst that was done for obvious comedy effect, it wouldn't surprise me if the scriptwriters (Andy Hamilton was one) got the idea from real life 

Drop the dead donkey was a fantastic program 😄

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/03/08/trump-says-he-will-travel-to-coronavius-soon-to-help-out-with-crisis-there/

Some good'uns on that site. The ozzies produce some good stuff. I was trying to find a notice (allegedly) placed in an Australian supermarket which was pretty blunt about panic buyers. There was a lot of swearing.

Edited by ron obvious

1 hour ago, Molly Windley said:

Is this table correct?

Only 111 new cases in the UK is very good news

It gets updated periodically throughout the day, there's been a further update for the UK

image.png.0462d0a7c5d7e8130cbb6ed2c5532910.png

What strikes me about the latest figures is the low number of cases described as critical (20). 

More testing is bound to reveal more cases overall, but on the face of it looks as though the great majority are minor.  Which is good if it stays that way, because when those people recover they will be immune.

By the way, does anyone else think it a bit odd that despite all the other restrictions, it's business as usual for dentists and opticians?

1 minute ago, benchwarmer said:

What strikes me about the latest figures is the low number of cases described as critical (20). 

More testing is bound to reveal more cases overall, but on the face of it looks as though the great majority are minor.  Which is good if it stays that way, because when those people recover they will be immune.

By the way, does anyone else think it a bit odd that despite all the other restrictions, it's business as usual for dentists and opticians?

Yes, its been at 20 for quite a while, surely that can't  be right when you compare the numbers with France.

Just now, ricardo said:

Yes, its been at 20 for quite a while, surely that can't  be right when you compare the numbers with France.

I think we need to look at how we all live in different countries Ricardo, it’s easier to self isolate her in the uk as we live in our own houses......away from our older relatives.

7 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I'm not sure where they're getting those figures from. The other figures can be corroborated from the UK Government website. There's some additional data from Public Health England on the site, but I didn't download it to see what was in it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

image.png.2358091e614ca5aecb44da0988e32713.png

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think we need to look at how we all live in different countries Ricardo, it’s easier to self isolate her in the uk as we live in our own houses......away from our older relatives.

This is true. I have also read that most of the Germans who were first infected were young people at a festival. These were detected quickly so were able to isolate from older relatives. It is tragic if the Italian family lifestyle has contributed to the higher numbers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

This is true. I have also read that most of the Germans who were first infected were young people at a festival. These were detected quickly so were able to isolate from older relatives. It is tragic if the Italian family lifestyle has contributed to the higher numbers.

It is indeed, the stricter regime there has meant that shops have full supplies but the way the restrictions are policed have been draconian. Our friends said it’s pretty frightening the way it’s been policed at times.

Edited by Indy

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

but the way the restrictions are policed have been draconian. Our friends said it’s pretty frightening the way it’s been policed at times.

The way many are behaving here, I wouldn't be saddened to see some of the same Indy.

• Like 1

cant verify the source but good advice in any event

"A message from one of our drs at N&N... 

Assistant Director of Nursing at QEH has said they’ve had a message today that virus seems to be spreading quickly via petrol pumps so they advise to wear gloves when filling up or use paper towel and bin straight away. Can you please pass this around anyone you know. Could make huge difference"

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Assistant Director of Nursing at QEH has said they’ve had a message today that virus seems to be spreading quickly via petrol pumps so they advise to wear gloves when filling up or use paper towel and bin straight away. Can you please pass this around anyone you know. Could make huge difference"

I have been doing that for the past month VW. Petrol pumps, cash machines etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We have hand sanitiser in the car as well.

Grandson's girlfriend has just finished her duty at Hospital and said four have died today. That is a big number for us and to some extent it is like having a terrorist attack in Redruth. It shouldn't happen. It will put the frighteners on so many down here. We aren't used to crises.

I see John Lewis is now closed from Monday. It's just as with schools and pubs and clubs. Events are running faster than the government advice.

Lets shut all non essential services now for a month and everybody stay at home or inside unless essential. Fines or even imprisonment for wilful disobedience. That's the only way are going to get on top of it. We're  going to get to this point anyway so better sooner rather than later.

Edited by Yellow Fever

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Grandson's girlfriend has just finished her duty at Hospital and said four have died today. That is a big number for us and to some extent it is like having a terrorist attack in Redruth. It shouldn't happen. It will put the frighteners on so many down here. We aren't used to crises.

Surely four people dying in hospital isn’t unusual? We have 600,000 deaths a year! How many were terminally ill or seriously ill or aged under 80?

• Like 1

Surely four people dying in hospital isn’t unusual? We have 600,000 deaths a year! How many were terminally ill or seriously ill or aged under 80?

I assumed you would understand that this is a Covid 19 thread and that is what the four died of. As with most others they did have underlying problems and were over 70. At the same time, Noro Virus has broken out again at the same hospital.

You do seem to be having a problem understanding my threads. I apologise if I have made them obscure. But to me you seem to be brushing off the health side matter of factly and concentrating on economic matters.

•  

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I assumed you would understand that this is a Covid 19 thread and that is what the four died of. As with most others they did have underlying problems and were over 70. At the same time, Noro Virus has broken out again at the same hospital.

You do seem to be having a problem understanding my threads. I apologise if I have made them obscure. But to me you seem to be brushing off the health side matter of factly and concentrating on economic matters.

•  

Which hospital? Seams rather a lot for one day at one hospital seeing as there were 53 deaths! And is that scaremongering or confirmed cases, again were they in danger from other life threatening consequences and over 80? 

Edited by Indy

Which hospital? Seams rather a lot for one day at one hospital seeing as there were 53 deaths! And is that scaremongering or confirmed cases, again were they in danger from other life threatening consequences and over 80? 

I'm sorry. What is it with you? I am really not bothered what you think. Death is not scaremongering or confirmation. It is final. And the post of mine you copied says it all. See the bold bit. The Hospital is called Treliske and is in Truro.

I assumed you would understand that this is a Covid 19 thread and that is what the four died of. As with most others they did have underlying problems and were over 70. At the same time, Noro Virus has broken out again at the same hospital.

Edited by keelansgrandad

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm sorry. What is it with you? I am really not bothered what you think. Death is not scaremongering or confirmation. It is final. And the post of mine you copied says it all. See the bold bit. The Hospital is called Treliske and is in Truro.

See the issue I have is that as some news outlets, drama of Coronavirus takes hold to make it sound dramatic. My question is valid, as how many were seriously ill with limited life expectations? It’s all well and good jumping on here saying four died of the Coronavirus without backing it up withal the facts, how old, what conditions were they already threatened with, we’re they already terminally ill etc.

Unfortunately death is inevitable,scaremongering is not acceptable, it’s sad that anyone has to face it, but you’re lack of compassion for those who are now faced with potentially losing their job, houses, livelihoods against your focus on Coronavirus deaths is frightening. The government and all of us are doing as we’re told, I’m out of work for possibly years as some others, working for myself in my industry along with millions of others, now facing massive stresses, please forgive me if I don’t share your narrow view.

Edited by Indy

Actually Keelan just looked it up, looks like bull****e as it’s said four die this week! Is this the hospital you’re on about?

The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust has issued a statement after the death of four patients.

The trust confirmed today that four patients died this week after testing positive for COVID-19 coronavirus.

Edited by Indy