Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I hope they commence testing staff at the hospital I work at soon. Not one one staff member had gone sick with it yet but they’ll be a domino affect (through sheer panic)when it does occur. 

What's it like working in a hospital in these times Midlands? Must be tough. Hope you know you're all doing such an incredible job (no matter what role you do).

Edited by Terminally Yellow

36 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What's it like working in a hospital in these times Midlands? Must be tough. Hope you're all doing such an incredible job (no matter what role you do).

It’s mental health so slightly different to adult which is far more challenging with this problem. The humour is very good especially if someone coughs but obviously there’s concerns with both  residents and staff. 

We can obviously monitor our physical observations with the equipment here so the thermometer is out regularly. From a pure financial point of view the management need to chase up some testing kit ASAP to minimise sickness and give all peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What's it like working in a hospital in these times Midlands? Must be tough. Hope you know you're all doing such an incredible job (no matter what role you do).

Editing the above post for the very embarrassing missing words!

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The Great Depression was an event that occurred a hundred years ago. 

I absolutely understand the economic hardships of this are going to become absolutely paramount, I just think we are at a stage where life needs to be take precedence over economy.

I disagree. The global economy falling into a depression has the risk of causing far more deaths, wars, and social breakdown than the virus itself. It makes no sense for healthy, young workers to sit at home doing nothing when the most that will happen is a touch of flu. 

By all means protect the vulnerable but the economy has to be the priority. 

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I disagree. The global economy falling into a depression has the risk of causing far more deaths, wars, and social breakdown than the virus itself. It makes no sense for healthy, young workers to sit at home doing nothing when the most that will happen is a touch of flu. 

It’s the speed at which it’s falling into recession and now even Trump recognised that the potential for the us is to have potentially 20% unemployment. That’s not sustainable, the financial burden in loss of taxes revenue from companies who go bust, workers needing monetary support....yet some people are happy to think printing money will save each country! This leads to Inflation, devaluing of your savings, increasing food costs......

Edited by Indy

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Consider this:

Half of the world's net wealth belongs to the top 1%, top 10% of adults hold 85%, while the bottom 90% hold the remaining 15% of the world's total wealth, top 30% of adults hold 97% of the total wealth.

When the Stock Market is battered, the real question is 'who suffers in a economic downturn?' In a fairer society, there would be no need for the 'bottom' 70% of the global population to bear the brunt of the cost of recession.

Bur they do 😞

8 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Consider this:

Half of the world's net wealth belongs to the top 1%, top 10% of adults hold 85%, while the bottom 90% hold the remaining 15% of the world's total wealth, top 30% of adults hold 97% of the total wealth.

When the Stock Market is battered, the real question is 'who suffers in a economic downturn?' In a fairer society, there would be no need for the 'bottom' 70% of the global population to bear the brunt of the cost of recession.

Bur they do 😞

There was always going to be a time when ordinary people decided that change was needed. Every day that our Prime Minister stands up and talks first about saving big business and the economy brings that day closer. The real test will come when people with no money stop paying their rent. 

I'm not self employed and never have been but those that are have always been the life blood of this country. The way they're being treated at the moment is disgusting. 

Take a look at how this is being handled in Scandinavia and you see a very different story 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There was always going to be a time when ordinary people decided that change was needed. Every day that our Prime Minister stands up and talks first about saving big business and the economy brings that day closer. The real test will come when people with no money stop paying their rent. 

I'm not self employed and never have been but those that are have always been the life blood of this country. The way they're being treated at the moment is disgusting. 

Take a look at how this is being handled in Scandinavia and you see a very different story 

I’m self employed and also in a high risk category, my wife has been sent  to work from home because she lives in the same house as me, yet I’m having to still go out to work everyday anyway as the statutory sick pay won’t cover a fraction of the bills, and even if I could stay at home, I’d then have no work to go back to. I’ve not got the answer, but a lot of people that are at risk will have to put themselves out there as there’s no other option for them 

Edited by JF

27 minutes ago, JF said:

I’m self employed and also in a high risk category, my wife has been sent  to work from home because she lives in the same house as me, yet I’m having to still go out to work everyday anyway as the statutory sick pay won’t cover a fraction of the bills, and even if I could stay at home, I’d then have no work to go back to. I’ve not got the answer, but a lot of people that are at risk will have to put themselves out there as there’s no other option for them 

I don't have a short term answer either. Other than not to pay for anything except food. Before anyone jumps down my throat, that is the stark reality facing the self employed and those on zero hours. 

In the long term, just vote for a party that puts people first. 

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't have a short term answer either. Other than not to pay for anything except food. Before anyone jumps down my throat, that is the stark reality facing the self employed and those on zero hours. 

In the long term, just vote for a party that puts people first. 

You’re right, it is. Next weeks job got cancelled late yesterday as people don’t want you in their homes at this moment in time. Today I’ve got to phone around other customers to see if they want their jobs bought forwards. I’m not hopeful that any will 

I feel for you JF. I sincerely hope this Government acts in the interests of the ordinary people. The only difference though, between the self employed and employed is maybe a small amount of redundancy pay or SSP if you are sick or self isolating. 

Worrying times, for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

Consider this:

Bur they do 😞

Most of that wealth is the value of land and is not something that can be distributed to everyone. And even if you did it wouldn't bring any benefit. Secondly, the biggest holders of stocks and shares are pension funds of ordinary people. When stock markets plunge it is pensioners that eventually suffer the most. 

16 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Most of that wealth is the value of land and is not something that can be distributed to everyone. And even if you did it wouldn't bring any benefit. Secondly, the biggest holders of stocks and shares are pension funds of ordinary people. When stock markets plunge it is pensioners that eventually suffer the most. 

That is precisely how the banks and the rich have got away with it for years. Just terrify the non rich by telling them they're going to lose everything. Governments everywhere all fear the day that the poor have nothing to lose. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Most of that wealth is the value of land and is not something that can be distributed to everyone. 

Jeff Bezos, Elon musk, bill gates  Warren buffet etc. All famously big land owners.  

Is it the 18th century still?

While we are not looking forward to any economic crash and burn, every resource available has to be put into getting rid of the virus. Are we really positive we can do that?

Until you do that or see some recovery, there is no point planning the future of economics. And to quote the Depression is pointless. We hadn't long just lost a generation of people in WW1. Living conditions were awful for the working man. Coal was the main source of energy. We relied on shipping and trains for transport of cargo and people. Icould go on.

We have a small business and are naturally worried for the staff. For their health first and their economy second. And that is the right order. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

While we are not looking forward to any economic crash and burn, every resource available has to be put into getting rid of the virus. Are we really positive we can do that?

Until you do that or see some recovery, there is no point planning the future of economics. And to quote the Depression is pointless. We hadn't long just lost a generation of people in WW1. Living conditions were awful for the working man. Coal was the main source of energy. We relied on shipping and trains for transport of cargo and people. Icould go on.

We have a small business and are naturally worried for the staff. For their health first and their economy second. And that is the right order. 

But there you go again, their health! What are they all 75 years old with chronic illnesses? It’s noticeable those who are panicking the most, say focus on now.....nope the governments are now starting to look at the financial future too at last.

We survived world wars and governments found cash (see those HUGE good reserves). They will need to ration food and make sure all get what they need. They need to shut down all interest payments, loans etc and basically shut down the country til this is done. The consequences if not will be massive. Social unrest on a scale never seen before...

All that is happening is that the government is trying to slow down the speed of the spread to a 'mamagable' level - hence the rather draconin measures being put in place The idea that this kind of ghost town society will continue through the summer is absurd.

The economy will take a hir, though more of a rea;ignment. The Great Depression of the early 30's continued as there was litle demand for goods. That will not be the case this time.

Government stimulus for consumption will see investment making a return so will happen. Albeit in areas no one can be certain of. at the moment.

This is not armageen, we have lessons learnt and the knowledge and ability to see this through.

And as Roosevelt said of the 30's

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself'

So stop worrying. Take a step back and recognise this will be over probably sooner than many think - and focus on what you can do to hwlp the situation and those definitely needing help

If 'Keep calm and carry on' was good enough 80 years ago,, it;s good enough now.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

All that is happening is that the government is trying to slow down the speed of the spread to a 'mamagable' level - hence the rather draconin measures being put in place The idea that this kind of ghost town society will continue through the summer is absurd.

The economy will take a hir, though more of a rea;ignment. The Great Depression of the early 30's continued as there was litle demand for goods. That will not be the case this time.

Government stimulus for consumption will see investment making a return so will happen. Albeit in areas no one can be certain of. at the moment.

This is not armageen, we have lessons learnt and the knowledge and ability to see this through.

And as Roosevelt said of the 30's

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself'

So stop worrying. Take a step back and recognise this will be over probably sooner than many think - and focus on what you can do to hwlp the situation and those definitely needing help

If 'Keep calm and carry on' was good enough 80 years ago,, it;s good enough now.

Baba Venga predicted this I hear (the Bulgarian seer). A short economic shock to the world. Eerie!

35 minutes ago, Indy said:

But there you go again, their health! What are they all 75 years old with chronic illnesses? It’s noticeable those who are panicking the most, say focus on now.....nope the governments are now starting to look at the financial future too at last.

There is a problem there. You are assuming that everyone makes a full recovery but we don't know that yet. But SARS had a dramatic effect on people way younger than 70 who survived. It caused long term damage to their lungs. 

Fingers crossed that won't happen with this disease. 

I have also take issue with the statement that the Government is starting to look at the financial future. My impression from all the statements so far is that it's business first and people second. I should point out that I'm not a raging Communist, in fact Corbyn was a bit too much for me last time. But I didn't vote for this lot either 

Had to for 3 days last week (son's friend had to wait for test result and son asked to stay off work). Odd being in same house in different rooms.

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is a problem there. You are assuming that everyone makes a full recovery but we don't know that yet. But SARS had a dramatic effect on people way younger than 70 who survived. It caused long term damage to their lungs. 

Fingers crossed that won't happen with this disease. 

I have also take issue with the statement that the Government is starting to look at the financial future. My impression from all the statements so far is that it's business first and people second. I should point out that I'm not a raging Communist, in fact Corbyn was a bit too much for me last time. But I didn't vote for this lot either 

And there is Gordon Brown today saying it's okay to ask people to stay at home but you need to assure them how they survive financially.

GB has a lot of depth and range in his analysis.

23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Had to for 3 days last week (son's friend had to wait for test result and son asked to stay off work). Odd being in same house in different rooms.

I had a lot of practice towards the end of my marriage 😂

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I had a lot of practice towards the end of my marriage 😂

Funnily enough I said to a workmate that I wondered if the divorce rate would go up if we’ve got to spend up to 12 weeks together. It could be that there’s a baby boom too 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just out of interest, is anyone on here isolating, or about to ?

I am. I'm only 60 but I take ACE inhibitors for blood pressure. Spoke to my GP who told me I have a 20% chance of dying if I get it. That's based on the China model. Blimey 

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I am. I'm only 60 but I take ACE inhibitors for blood pressure. Spoke to my GP who told me I have a 20% chance of dying if I get it. That's based on the China model. Blimey 

Try and think of it as 80% survival, sounds better 

Do you know who works for us? No. We treat them as friends and our first concern is that they and their family's keep well. And we are making sure, at the moment, that they are not losing any money either. I hope you or anyone in your family never have ill health. But my Granddaughter was working for us and she is Diabetic One. And to be quite honest, she doesn't place the bleddy economy at the top of her list of worries.
If anyone is panicking its you regarding the economy. And the economy will do better if we can rid ourselves of this peril as soon as we can and get things, including the economy, back to normal.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

And there is Gordon Brown today saying it's okay to ask people to stay at home but you need to assure them how they survive financially.

GB has a lot of depth and range in his analysis.

If the financial institutions, lenders, banks, utility companies, loan companies  etc all continue to expect payments we will get nowhere. Life needs to shut down and extreme measures need to be taken and supported by the government. Find the trillions you found to keep banks going and you may, just may still have an economy, high Street, future....