Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Laughable nonsense.

Pigs will fly first.

Still willing to take your money on a bet that they don't declare it null and void though - then we'll see what's really laughable nonsense.

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

UEFA wants clubs to finish leagues by end of June.

Seriously!!!?? They are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that will happen. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Still willing to take your money on a bet that they don't declare it null and void though - then we'll see what's really laughable nonsense.

I'll take your money if you like

17 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

In China it took 3 months of stringent lock down to get on top of this. With our rather looser arrangements(which will inevitably tighten) I dont expect any balls to be kicked by the end of June, let alone completing the season.

• Like 2

Just now, ricardo said:

In China it took 3 months of stringent lock down to get on top of this. With our rather looser arrangements(which will inevitably tighten) I dont expect any balls to be kicked by the end of June, let alone completing the season.

There’s still a lot of people that are not grasping how serious the situation is. Even the cmo today said that to keep it under 20,000 deaths would be a good result, so no, there isn’t a hope in hell of the football season finishing when the dead are mounting up. I’m also still puzzled how anyone expects matches behind closed doors when the government has said they won’t be supporting any events with medics. 

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You may well be right, but my position is still that, whatever happens, the EPL will do anything but declare the season null and void. I am not privy to their contract terms, but I'd be surprised if that were an option available to them under the contracts they have in force. They can't just decide to not be bound by them. They could invoke Force Majeure (if it's in the contract), but if they did that without agreement they would never get another TV deal, and ultimately it's all about the money and if they have 14 clubs willing to play the games to complete the season (whenever they are able to do so) then that's what will happen. 

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

You may well be right, but my position is still that, whatever happens, the EPL will do anything but declare the season null and void. I am not privy to their contract terms, but I'd be surprised if that were an option available to them under the contracts they have in force. They can't just decide to not be bound by them. They could invoke Force Majeure (if it's in the contract), but if they did that without agreement they would never get another TV deal, and ultimately it's all about the money and if they have 14 clubs willing to play the games to complete the season (whenever they are able to do so) then that's what will happen. 

Players will not be immune from this horrible virus, when there are lots of people dying and we are in lock down I doubt many will be the slightest bit interested in playing EPL games.

Edited by Van wink

Just read that statement from UEFA and what ****ing planet are they on? Absolutely ludicrous to suggest this season will be finished by the end of June. The emergency services and hospitals are going to be overflowing with the sick and dying. The government will not support events with ambulances and medics and matches cannot be played without them. What they have committed to is the impossible and I can only assume they have said that date to cover their own back when it fails 

45 minutes ago, JF said:

Seriously!!!?? They are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that will happen. 

The Uefa statement is this:

'The resolution features a commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough. A working group composed of representatives from UEFA, leagues and clubs will be immediately established to examine relevant calendar matters and devise solutions allowing for the resumption and/or conclusion of the current season in a coherent manner.'

I doubt they think that will happen, not least since the statement talks about "...should the situation improve...' The question is more whether Uefa will then fudge that commitment if (when?) the situation hasn't improved enough, arguing that it only applied if there had been such an improvement. The remit of this working party may include seeing how a post-June 30 programme of matches would work.

But the date of June 30 is obviously significant because of footballers' contracts, and the problems that would be caused if the season went on beyond.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JF said:

Just read that statement from UEFA and what ****ing planet are they on? Absolutely ludicrous to suggest this season will be finished by the end of June. The emergency services and hospitals are going to be overflowing with the sick and dying. The government will not support events with ambulances and medics and matches cannot be played without them. What they have committed to is the impossible and I can only assume they have said that date to cover their own back when it fails 

True jfo, these guys are the masters of spin and inconsequential press releases, I suppose they have to try to look like they are in charge.  They're not. Covid-19  is.

Just now, JF said:

They did just as I said they would, kicked it into even longer grass. The problem now is when they go and look for the ball it will be gone.

Just think of the optics with hundreds dying and half the population under house arrest and they want to kick off again in case they lose their TV money.

Nah, won't  happen.

33 minutes ago, sgncfc said:
41 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So when do you think the season will resume then?

26 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They did just as I said they would, kicked it into even longer grass. The problem now is when they go and look for the ball it will be gone.

Just think of the optics with hundreds dying and half the population under house arrest and they want to kick off again in case they lose their TV money.

Nah, won't  happen.

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think it called leading the horse to water.

I'm sure UEFA know it's impossible and it will have to be null and void but they have to make it obvious to a few who are as you say on a different planet.

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Whilst that will help some it will also negatively effect their credit ratings longer term pushing up their mortgage costs long term. The banks are giving the holiday not the credit rating agencies 

The credit agencies will only react if the banks lodge something against people's credit files if they don't have arrangements. Imagine the uproar if someone took a mortgage payment holiday as agreed by the government and had their credit history shot to pieces, won't happen.

47 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

12th of Never

The June 30 deadline has been relatively obvious for a while. It will be nigh on impossible to complete the season if isn't wrapped up by then. Potentially, the only way that's going to happen is if football is postponed for 10-12 months, so they can then have a January transfer window and finish it this time next year (which would also bring on other problems, of course).

It wouldn't be a bad thing if TV money doesn't get paid and football in general somehow goes bust. It would be nice to start again from scratch with a fairer system, maybe with salary caps and other rules to make it a more level playing field. 

2 hours ago, JF said:

Having a commitment to making it happen does not mean they think it will happen. They have said that any arrangements would be conditional on " should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough. "

I can't see how they could say anything else.

None of us know what the situation will be at the end of April - mid May so all they are saying is they are committed to playing the games..... if....

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Having a commitment to making it happen does not mean they think it will happen. They have said that any arrangements would be conditional on " should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough. "

I can't see how they could say anything else.

None of us know what the situation will be at the end of April - mid May so all they are saying is they are committed to playing the games..... if....

much like

If my Aunt had balls.😁

Yes but I agree, I believed June 30th can be done, I don’t believe they said 2020 though did they? Maybe 2021

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

much like

If my Aunt had balls.😁

nope, just stating how it is

they would be foolish to abandon things at this stage - and possibly in breach of contract at some point

I would not have expected them to say much else

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think it called leading the horse to water.

I'm sure UEFA know it's impossible and it will have to be null and void but they have to make it obvious to a few who are as you say on a different planet.

I don't think they could null and void it right NOW could they? No-one knows for sure when the pandemic will pass. Yet, UEFA like most commentators realise (in private) it is highly unlikely the season can be started around June. This is just playing out time and all the expectations of clubs. It also relieves a bit of pressure. It bides a bit of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I don't think they could null and void it right NOW could they? No-one knows for sure when the pandemic will pass. Yet, UEFA like most commentators realise (in private) it is highly unlikely the season can be started around June. This is just playing out time and all the expectations of clubs. It also relieves a bit of pressure. It bides a bit of time.

Exactly. Just for show and due process.

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I have no idea - but when it does, whenever that is, I think they will start from where they left off. That's the only point I'm making; I just don't see that "null and void" will happen, much as I'd like it to as a Norwich fan. 

I can't see them playing any games until the virus clears up. Surely the realisation that people's lives are worth more than finishing the season. As much as I dislike the guy, Rooney does have a point in the article that he recently wrote.

UEFA and the FA need to work backwards and calculate how they can reshuffle the next few seasons in order to give us enough time to play the remaining fixtures. If they create a timeline with the dates of when things will need to happen, people will know what to expect and understand why it has been done.

If we get to date x  - the date where they believe the seasons has to finish - then they will have to null and void it. 

Whether they then compensate teams with money or a points advantage next season (in order to avoid lawsuits), that will be up to them.

I cannot understand why there is a such a clamour to be fair on this.

Yes, it would be unfair on Liverpool et all if the season was null and void. But it is also unfair on the total global chaos and unfairness that is happening not only leading to deaths but ruined home economies, holidays gone, local sport (never mind the pros, many play for fun), small businesses ruined, projects abandoned or postponed.

What is the easiest and most sensible thing to do? Stop speculation, conjecture and barrack room lawyers hoping to find an answer to something that will lead to chaos. End it now.

Personally, I would also like to see next season's TV money spread equally among all leagues. And that includes even the semi professional leagues. They rely on takings from the bar and raffles, locals helping with the pitch etc. They will suffer terribly. Lets see how "inclusive" the top pros and owners want football to be or as I suspect, just like panic buyers, it will be I'm alright Jack.

Edited by keelansgrandad