Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

aha, the pinball wizard

unlike you mate

I can see for miles and miles.....and miles

From upstairs on the magic bus I presume.

Im lost to what you’re complaining about, what would you like to see Keelan?

I want the leader of this nation to do what he told he was going to do. And that is be decisive and make decisions. I don't expect him to get everything right, that would be impossible. But he has been told by the countries that are further up the curve than us that there is a better way to handle it. And all he is telling us that it is up to us.
My Grandson's girlfriend, the Nurse arrived at ours 10 minutes ago and told us that two of the people on her ward are suspected cases. Now, after the proverbial horse is down the road, they are being told to wear masks. And they aren't being tested.
From the start you have been sceptical and that is fair enough. But the leader of the country cannot be.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Nope some of us need to work, some are self employed, we can’t all stop or you won’t have power, petrol, food, tv, media, health service, fire, refuse collection etc.

Just as I said everyone needs to be careful, we don’t need the Italian draconian response.

Problem is it's already out of control in Italy. Their health service can't cope and they're having to make decisions about who lives and dies. By comparison, it's fairly mild in the UK, but we're supposedly four weeks behind Italy.

image.png.bc4b81d7476ac31f70e4671ecee12e0f.png

1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

I agree. But Nick Hancock and others, especially certain media, gave a very poor briefing on this yesterday. Since then the government has improved its message. 

So far the messages from government have confused and confounded. Today the advice to over 70s was much more practical and liable to be followed. 

It was the same with advice from Dr. Hilary Jones today which was excellent. Of course you can go out for a walk, just avoid unnecessary contact or groups. Do not take Ibruprofen etc. 

We are a country which will respond to sensible requests. 

Nick Hancock? The presenter of “They Think It’s All Over”? How apt.

Presumably you meant Matt Hancock?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

Problem is it's already out of control in Italy. Their health service can't cope and they're having to make decisions about who lives and dies. By comparison, it's fairly mild in the UK, but we're supposedly four weeks behind Italy.

Im afraid we are all going down the same road as the Italians, I am putting my faith in the UK CMO to be adopting the best strategy, what else can we do, nobody will really know who was making the best decisions till this is all over but I suspect the final result will be the same for most European nations.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I want the leader of this nation to do what he told he was going to do. And that is be decisive and make decisions. I don't expect him to get everything right, that would be impossible. But he has been told by the countries that are further up the curve than us that there is a better way to handle it. And all he is telling us that it is up to us.
My Grandson's girlfriend, the Nurse arrived at ours 10 minutes ago and told us that two of the people on her ward are suspected cases. Now, after the proverbial horse is down the road, they are being told to wear masks. And they aren't being tested.
From the start you have been sceptical and that is fair enough. But the leader of the country cannot be.

Look on the bright side mate.

It could have been Jezza and Diane😉

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ramrod said:

I watched Nick Hancock on Marr on Sunday. It is clear to me this man is out of his depth and appeared to be making things up as he went along. 

Bit like he did on ‘ They Think It’s All Over ‘ back in the day 😉

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Noticeable, S Korea death rate to infections, compared to Italy!, must point to something?

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It could have been Jezza and Diane😉

With Diane on the job, as it were, the numbers would never have reached the levels we have now..... would never have got higher than nine.

Edited by Van wink

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What like Italy? Their death rates to infected are horrendous! As it’s a new problem in every country how they deal with it is up to the advice of the doctors, scientists giving best advise! So again what which is the best way to handle it? Certainly doesn’t look like Italy is the way forward?

Not sceptical but realist, death’s from this is inevitable, but financial crises alongside this will only lead to far more deaths......don’t you agree? 

Edited by Indy

17 minutes ago, Indy said:

Noticeable, S Korea death rate to infections, compared to Italy!, must point to something?

South Korea had numerous deaths in a MERS outbreak a few years back, and prepared and trained to quickly combat any subsequent virus outbreaks.

11 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

South Korea had numerous deaths in a MERS outbreak a few years back, and prepared and trained to quickly combat any subsequent virus outbreaks.

Makes you ask why they weren’t consulted?

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Any of you guys based in Cromer? Im meant to be heading up for a week away up there next week, but wondering whether things are open or not? Pubs mainly 🙂

Not sure about any of the above.....but you can still go and catch crabs.....Fnaar fnaar...... 🦀

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It isn't the punters Fenway, it's the staff.

We run a small family catering business and the trade has plumetted. We are trying to stay open so that the staff get paid. If we were forced to close, we would then be able to claim hardship and be able to pay the staff in full.

If we take a unilateral decision, then everyone has no assurance.

What exactly would you be able to claim, KG?  Has the government ànnounced a compensation scheme?

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

My Grandson's girlfriend, the Nurse arrived at ours 10 minutes ago and told us that two of the people on her ward are suspected cases. 

Wouldn't that news have been better delivered over the phone?

It could have been Jezza and Diane

Well that was never going to be a possibility. We would have been debating whether the virus had a legitimate right to blood system.

I keep seeing reports that we are on the same trajectory as Italy. 

I can't believe this. 

Italy had a major cluster festering unknown for weeks. We have scattered cases, according to population recorded when the news was out. 

Italy has a different social structure and a famously aged population. 

The Italians started from a bigger threshold and state of awareness and demand was concentrated. 

Italy might be the fear but I can't see it as a guide as to how it will hit the UK. 

Italy is possibly my favourite country outside of the UK and I love Lombardy. It is sad to see their plight. 

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It could have been Jezza and Diane

Well that was never going to be a possibility. We would have been debating whether the virus had a legitimate right to blood system.

Diane's figures would have been interesting. It would certainly have been a lot better or a lot worse. 

2 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

I can't believe this. 

Italy had a major cluster festering unknown for weeks. We have scattered cases, according to population recorded when the news was out. 

The Italians started from a bigger threshold and state of awareness and demand was concentrated. 

Italy might be the fear but I can't see it as a guide as to how it will hit the UK. 

Italy is possibly my favourite country outside of the UK and I love Lombardy. It is sad to see their plight. 

Our festering cluster may be in London?

Not sceptical but realist, death’s from this is inevitable, but financial crises alongside this will only lead to far more deaths......don’t you agree?

Of course we have to accept that the finances have to be highly important.  And I don't just mean the city. Individually, the family budget will be the first to suffer. I am lucky I have told all my family I have enough money to cover things and I am of the mind to volunteer to help out where I can in the community. But could that lead to me becoming a transmitter our even a killer?

Its funny with the Norwich link but I am old enough to remember the 1959 cup run when people chose football over paying bills so that they could go to White Hart Lane etc. Now we are likely to see people trying to stay afloat. We have to commit to paying our staff as they are loyal friends  who we will need in the future and they don't deserve this.

Now has to be the time when those who can must help those who can't. And I don't mean those who won't.

4 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

I can't believe this. 

If you look purely at the numbers, it's a very similar growth rate in terms of new cases per day. I think the UK is around 12 days or so behind, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd expect the UK to be where Italy is now in about a fortnight.

What exactly would you be able to claim, KG?  Has the government ànnounced a compensation scheme?

Those who are not eligible for SSP, for example the self-employed or people earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week, can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or Contributory Employment and Support Allowance

• The government will bring forward legislation to allow small- and medium-sized businesses and employers to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) paid for sickness absence due to COVID-19. The eligibility criteria for the scheme will be as follows:
    • this refund will cover up to 2 weeks’ SSP per eligible employee who has been off work because of COVID-19
    • employers with fewer than 250 employees will be eligible - the size of an employer will be determined by the number of people they employed as of 28 February 2020
    • employers will be able to reclaim expenditure for any employee who has claimed SSP (according to the new eligibility criteria) as a result of COVID-19
    • employers should maintain records of staff absences, but employees will not need to provide a GP fit note
    • eligible period for the scheme will commence the day after the regulations on the extension of Statutory Sick Pay to self-isolators comes into force
    • the government will work with employers over the coming months to set up the repayment mechanism for employers as soon as possible. Existing systems are not designed to facilitate employer refunds for SSP

This was all mentioned in the Budget

I am not happy that the figures for those tested and clear are used when new cases are published. I think they are misleading in that it never adds that all those clear could still contract the virus. All it means is they haven't got it.

And I don't know what the criteria is for testing? If Hospitals aren't testing their staff, who is being tested and where.

58 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Those who are not eligible for SSP, for example the self-employed or people earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week, can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or Contributory Employment and Support Allowance

• The government will bring forward legislation to allow small- and medium-sized businesses and employers to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) paid for sickness absence due to COVID-19. The eligibility criteria for the scheme will be as follows:
    • this refund will cover up to 2 weeks’ SSP per eligible employee who has been off work because of COVID-19
    • employers with fewer than 250 employees will be eligible - the size of an employer will be determined by the number of people they employed as of 28 February 2020
    • employers will be able to reclaim expenditure for any employee who has claimed SSP (according to the new eligibility criteria) as a result of COVID-19
    • employers should maintain records of staff absences, but employees will not need to provide a GP fit note
    • eligible period for the scheme will commence the day after the regulations on the extension of Statutory Sick Pay to self-isolators comes into force
    • the government will work with employers over the coming months to set up the repayment mechanism for employers as soon as possible. Existing systems are not designed to facilitate employer refunds for SSP

This was all mentioned in the Budget

That seems to be related to employees who fall ill and their entitlement to SSP, unless I am missing something. If you had to shutdown your catering business, you wouldn't entitled to compensation, would you? I'm asking as my wife is in a similar position with her restaurant. It's been loss-making for the past two weeks as footfall has dried up. And she won' be able to keep it going indefinitely if it continues to lose money over a long period.

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

Aye and that would explain the hotspots like the Hertfordshire commuter belt. Hampshire is an odd hotspot. Must be to do with the ships. 

• Like 1

Uni's set to close for Easter (and longer), that should help spread it around a bit in Norfolk as thousands return from the hotspots. Anyone working in London now needs to be put in self isolation in my view as when they start to WFH they will be spreading it around their local community.

China new cases are increasing again, they were in single figures, now over 60 despite even greater draconian measures.

Edited by Capt. Pants