Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

I can see the rest of the season being written off.....quite how they'll handle that in terms of legal issues is another thing.

Some people are requesting this season be null and void and start again next season....that could potentially cripple the EFL in terms of financial implications.

Let's hope sensible heads prevail

I think they'll hope to complete later in the summer, if the euros are postponed. Seems that both outcomes, finish the league as it is now or call it void, would have massive blowback. 

15 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I hope Waveney doesn't get it - how's he going to self-isolate?

Which self? How does a man with multiple personalities identify which self to isolate? :classic_tongue:

Worst case scenario: FA Cup scrapped this season in order to complete the EPL.

I think I can safely say that we'd prefer it to be the other way round . . .

28 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I hope Waveney doesn't get it - how's he going to self-isolate?

He is a walking epidemic

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Can I suggest just the one? They're spreading like wildfire.

Hopefully this isn't another one of your record breaking threads. 😏

• Haha 1

I've removed a copy of what Crafty posted above - this is what you get for not reading the whole thread!

Edited by First Wazzock
repeat posting
  • Like 1

Weird thing is that there is a big discrepancy between those who think they might have it, and those who actually have it. Whether they're suffering from normal flu, a heavy cold, or hypochondria only 2.5% of those tested have it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

As of 9am on 13 March 2020, 32,771 people have been tested in the UK, of which 31,973 were confirmed negative and 798 were confirmed as positive. 10 patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

• Like 1

Could be a massive boost for us if the season is finished late. Onel back, Klose back, all those knocks and niggles sorted.

• Like 2

The Daily Mail have published an article claiming plans being considered if the season ends now include promoting WBA and Leeds, having a 22 strong premier League next season with 5 sides relegated and no EFL cup to make way for the extra fixtures. 

Could we really keep our Premier League status because of all this? 

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Weird thing is that there is a big discrepancy between those who think they might have it, and those who actually have it. Whether they're suffering from normal flu, a heavy cold, or hypochondria only 2.5% of those tested have it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

As of 9am on 13 March 2020, 32,771 people have been tested in the UK, of which 31,973 were confirmed negative and 798 were confirmed as positive. 10 patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

So if those numbers are valid, that is a Morbidity Rate of 2.5% (percent who catch the disease) and a Mortality Rate of of 1.25% (deaths of those who catch the disease) or a Probability of Dying of 0.03% for the population of the UK, i.e. about 20,000 deaths in a population of 65 Million. Similar to the flu? If this were the only death risk at 0.03% annual probability the average lifespan would be 1,660 years .

So we haven't been testing much yet, and these numbers can be skewed downwards if people are not being tested until they have big enough symptoms to get a test for it, and upward if it's too early for many to have died from it. 

Had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday, in the medical profession and he said, what about highlighting those fit and healthy with a very very low risk and actually infecting them under self quarantine for 7 days then they are free to go about their business, actual control.

Thought what a daft idea, but thinking about it, probably a pretty good one if you control it in batches. Seems a good way get this herds mentality done quickly, hopefully this would also takeaway risk of uncontrolled spread of the virus.

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

Had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday, in the medical profession and he said, what about highlighting those fit and healthy with a very very low risk and actually infecting them under self quarantine for 7 days then they are free to go about their business, actual control.

Thought what a daft idea, but thinking about it, probably a pretty good one if you control it in batches. Seems a good way get this herds mentality done quickly, hopefully this would also takeaway risk of uncontrolled spread of the virus.

I have a friend working in a hospital down south - he says the advice NHS workers are being given is pretty dire - 20% of them will catch Coronavirus, government are fudging the true numbers, all elective operations in England will be cancelled soon, only 1 confirmed case in his hospital at the moment but they have 42 suspected cases and they are being told that everybody in the UK will know someone who has lost somebody to the illness. Obviously I can't verify any of that, but he's not one to BS so I believe that's what he has been told.

Be interested to hear if others have heard anything similar from friends in the profession.

Also rumours in the education community that govt planning to shut down schools next Friday. 2 weeks before Easter hols so would make sense as it would essentially be a 4 week break from normal school - we've been told to plan work ready for the scenario that schools close but think that's just sensible prep rather than the head knowing something that us teachers don't. That said, most schools are making contingency plans now and there seems to be an inevitability that we will have to close.

Edited by kick it off

20 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Very good chart that, to show the likelihood of succumbing based on age. We've got enough deaths now to start drawing decent conclusions.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm hearing from family that there is a confirmed case at the N&N. 

Three in the QE2 at Lynn as well, if I'm not mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Three in the QE2 at Lynn as well, if I'm not mistaken.

And so it begins. 😔

I am in the NHS. Consider talking to your GP about stopping blood pressure tablets in the ramipril family. 

This is much worse already than we can cope with hence the control of information. 

18 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I am in the NHS. Consider talking to your GP about stopping blood pressure tablets in the ramipril family. 

This is much worse already than we can cope with hence the control of information. 

Why is that?

"The sick and elderly by far the most at risk . . . we need to wrap them in cotton wool"

How times have changed.  When I was young (I'm nearly 70) pneumonia was called 'the old man's friend'.  It finished off my father and both grandads. There are plenty of worse ways to die.  

From 2012-17 average UK deaths per year from winter viruses was about 7,000.  It barely got a mention in the media.  We accept it as normal, because it IS normal.  No one lives for ever.

Latest figures courtesy of the BBC

"There are 191 deaths and 6,046 infections in Spain. Italy, which has recorded more than 1,440 deaths, began a nationwide lockdown on Monday."

Compared to the 21 deaths in the UK, sounds like it's going to get a lot nastier.