Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Premier League meeting 10.00am today

I cannot see what changes will have occurred in 2 and a half weeks that will mean football will resume. If anything, looking at all the evidence of daily increases, the situation will be far more entrenched. I believe the EPL and EFL in doing this have simply bought some thinking time, to come up with their own strategies about promotion, legalities, finances etc. Plus by then they will know about the Euro's and a decision (would guess it's certain to be cancelled).

I see today loads of commentators are highly sceptical about the government's response (complacency and at odds with just about every other country) so I can also see the government amending their position. I guess it depends on which scientists you want to believe in.

Seasons finished. Where we go from here is anyone’s guess. No point in speculating about the outcome, obviously we all want the season voided but that clearly doesn’t suit everyone. The powers that be have a real problem on their hands on how to solve this, but at the end of the day it’s only football. There are far bigger worries coming.

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I cannot see what changes will have occurred in 2 and a half weeks that will mean football will resume. If anything, looking at all the evidence of daily increases, the situation will be far more entrenched. I believe the EPL and EFL in doing this have simply bought some thinking time, to come up with their own strategies about promotion, legalities, finances etc. Plus by then they will know about the Euro's and a decision (would guess it's certain to be cancelled).

I see today loads of commentators are highly sceptical about the government's response (complacency and at odds with just about every other country) so I can also see the government amending their position. I guess it depends on which scientists you want to believe in.

Could it be that if the Government cancels football the Premier League won't have to give Sky its money back whereas if the Premier League cancels it they would? 

More likely to be that in 3 weeks time everyone will have come to terms with it and accept it more readily. Leeds now has 3 weeks to get used to the idea of not being promoted and Leicester have the same time to accept that Arsenal will be in the Champions league and not them. These things are always easier to deal with if you have time to get used to the idea. 

Yes, maybe there are a few people for whom it needs time to sink in

This may be a radical idea, but with vaccines possibly avalable at the end of the year and not much prospect of anything much changing in the next few months, there is an obvious solution and that is suspend this season until the beginning of next year and finish this one at the start of 2021.   It would mean we would miss a year's football, but would enable all the legalities of this season to be sorted out by finishing the remaining games, abeit a year late and give a chance for all the public health issues to settle down.  The season could end early in 2021 and leave space for a Euros competition if wanted.  Just an idea. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This may be a radical idea, but with vaccines possibly avalable at the end of the year and not much prospect of anything much changing in the next few months, there is an obvious solution and that is suspend this season until the beginning of next year and finish this one at the start of 2021.   It would mean we would miss a year's football, but would enable all the legalities of this season to be sorted out by finishing the remaining games, abeit a year late and give a chance for all the public health issues to settle down.  The season could end early in 2021 and leave space for a Euros competition if wanted.  Just an idea. 

The main issue there would be players' contracts. A lot of them, particularly in the lower leagues, expire in the summer.

Or would we just have a transfer window in January?

35 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Finding the scientists to believe could be difficult, maybe they were silenced last year? 

6 minutes ago, Chumino said:

Finding the scientists to believe could be difficult, maybe they were silenced last year? 

I guess we will see the comparative rates by country in the weeks ahead and can assess each country's strategies much more transparently. It could be that China will have a recurring infection if scientists here are to be believed. 

We have to just go with it for now. 

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Who pays? Sky would only pay for one year. Supporters would only pay for one year but players and all other employees of the clubs would need to be paid for the complete period. A massive hole in the finances of all clubs would spell disaster for many of them. Sadly I don't have a solution but I guess it will be based on whichever option is most cost effective for the Premier League.

Actually, thinking about it there must already be a plan in place because I'm sure the Premier League's lawyers would have taken such eventualities into account when drawing up the rules.

Edited by Genesis1923
Additional thoughts

21 minutes ago, Genesis1923 said:

Who pays? Sky would only pay for one year. Supporters would only pay for one year but players and all other employees of the clubs would need to be paid for the complete period. A massive hole in the finances of all clubs would spell disaster for many of them. Sadly I don't have a solution but I guess it will be based on whichever option is most cost effective for the Premier League.

Many people are going to lose out financially over the next few months through things being cancelled/postponed - Sky and TV channels will be no different.  The most cost effective thing to do - as well as the morally right thing to do - is to finish this season's obligations as required - even if it has to wait many months to do it.  Football authorities cannot magic up some false ending to this season - it cannot be done - the fixtures have to be played at some point.

It's not a disaster, but it does involve common sense and acceptance that things cannot go on as normal for quite a few months, maybe up to the time when hopefully vaccinations can be implemented, hopefully by the end of the year.  Thinking we can just merrily cancel this season as it is and then miraculously have a new season in August with all the ramifications of who is in which league etc etc, not to mention the continued health issues, is not an option imo. 

Needs a radical approach. 

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Many people are going to lose out financially over the next few months through things being cancelled/postponed - Sky and TV channels will be no different.  The most cost effective thing to do - as well as the morally right thing to do - is to finish this season's obligations as required - even if it has to wait many months to do it.  Football authorities cannot magic up some false ending to this season - it cannot be done - the fixtures have to be played at some point.

It's not a disaster, but it does involve common sense and acceptance that things cannot go on as normal for quite a few months, maybe up to the time when hopefully vaccinations can be implemented, hopefully by the end of the year.  Thinking we can just merrily cancel this season as it is and then miraculously have a new season in August with all the ramifications of who is in which league etc etc, not to mention the continued health issues, is not an option imo. 

Needs a radical approach. 

It cannot be finished so it won't  be finished. Attempting some sort of restart or computerised fiddle is not going to happen because we are no longer in control, the virus is.

This season has gone with the wind.

Edited by ricardo

Have to agree with Ricardo. The season is over. We will survive and bizarrely if there is a Champions League next season Arsenal will be in it. 

All that really needs to be decided is what happens to the prize money from Sky. Hopefully it will be pushed down into the Football League to help its clubs survive. 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Have to agree with Ricardo. The season is over. We will survive and bizarrely if there is a Champions League next season Arsenal will be in it. 

All that really needs to be decided is what happens to the prize money from Sky. Hopefully it will be pushed down into the Football League to help its clubs survive. 

Agree aswell. Just need to add- all that needs deciding is everything. 

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry but you can’t say with certainty what decisions will be made, including Arsenal getting a champions league place

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Most contracts would have as a default a 'Force Majeure' clause.

Season null and void - Not a problem.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

I guess we will see the comparative rates by country in the weeks ahead and can assess each country's strategies much more transparently. It could be that China will have a recurring infection if scientists here are to be believed. 

We have to just go with it for now. 

We’ll never really know for sure as the figures aren’t comparable, it will depend what data you use and each country will differ - the CMO here yesterday said the ‘official figures’ are, what, 800, but he expected the real total was 10-15k.

In the US the insurance/cost situation means any data will be hugely understated.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

Most contracts would have as a default a 'Force Majeure' clause.

Season null and void - Not a problem.

Force Majeure requires the Government to cancel football 

Paddy Davitt and Dave Freezer seem adamant the season won't be declared null and void and that it will finish at some point, possibly late in the summer. I know they know no more than us but I'm surprised at that, in my mind there is literally no other option. This season should be wiped from the records simply for the VAR farce alone, if a season cannot be completed then it should not stand. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Sorry but you can’t say with certainty what decisions will be made, including Arsenal getting a champions league place

You can say things with certainty if you read the Premier League rule book. In a season every team has to play every other team at home and away. 

So unless something miraculous happens this season is over. If it helps, the London Marathon has been postponed until September. They didn't just pluck that date out of the sky

• Like 1

What does it say in the rule book about champions league places ? How can you say Arsenal will get a place as if it’s fact ? 

How would players registrations carry over to late summer? Players come from all over the world. Many contracts will be up in May. Players will want to be with their families too. 

It's truly a nightmare.

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ll never really know for sure as the figures aren’t comparable, it will depend what data you use and each country will differ - the CMO here yesterday said the ‘official figures’ are, what, 800, but he expected the real total was 10-15k.

In the US the insurance/cost situation means any data will be hugely understated.

It will be the death numbers/figures that ultimately dictate how well it has been handled. Our whole strategy is about slowing the spread so as to enable the NHS to cope, keeping it away from the vulnerable and buying time for vaccines or medicines that lesson impacts to be tested/developed.

Case numbers will never be accurate because of the testing inconsistencies between nations but deaths will provide a barometer of how well a given country has coped with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Smith said:

It will be the death numbers/figures that ultimately dictate how well it has been handled. Our whole strategy is about slowing the spread so as to enable the NHS to cope, keeping it away from the vulnerable and buying time for vaccines or medicines that lesson impacts to be tested/developed.

Case numbers will never be accurate because of the testing inconsistencies between nations but deaths will provide a barometer of how well a given country has coped with it. 

or more specifically I suppose the rise in the death rate as its possible that some of those dieing from this might have died anyway from other health conditions.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

How would players registrations carry over to late summer? Players come from all over the world. Many contracts will be up in May. Players will want to be with their families too. 

It's truly a nightmare.

Up until June 30 players will be bound to their clubs no matter what, but after that, many players will be out of contract or loans will end. That's where it gets (even more) complicated. 

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Force Majeure requires the Government to cancel football 

No - Any superior force. I think the 'Virus' will certainly count. I regard the government as already irrelevant with football. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

What does it say in the rule book about champions league places ? How can you say Arsenal will get a place as if it’s fact ? 

If the season is treated as void the season will be treated as if it hadn't happened. The Champions League places will go to the top 4 from 2018 /19. That includes Manchester City. Arsenal came 5th.

The Premier League has to take a decision that won't result in legal action and that is the only option open to them. 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Up until June 30 players will be bound to their clubs no matter what, but after that, many players will be out of contract or loans will end. That's where it gets (even more) complicated. 

Thanks Wacky. I forgot it was June.

Presumably Ipswich fans hoping promotion will be decided based on earlier results, ie. those from the 1970s.

If the virus continues to disrupt life through to the Summer I can't see them being able to finish the season. It has to be better to void this season and start again when things are back to normal.