Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Premier League meeting 10.00am today

Recommended Posts

EPL meeting this morning following news from Arsenal and Chelsea. The clubs are saying they wish to take a unified approach. Reading between the lines it sounds like this weekend will be postponed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Season will likely be suspended for two weeks. Same as la Liga. but highly unlikely to start again 

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JF said:

Season will likely be suspended for two weeks. Same as la Liga but highly unlikely to start again 

Based on the official view of the government's medical advisers the chances now are the season will end up being voided, even if the initial decisions are to play for time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Nicola Sturgeon pointed out halting things like football matches is not just about stopping the spread but also freeing up large amounts of service personnel, police and ambulance, to be able to other things. Although a tough decision, halting the footy is probably a wise decision.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

No alternative, we are only at the beginning sadly.

Thank the Lord you weren’t around during the blitz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

Thank the Lord you weren’t around during the blitz 

Keep calm and eat another sausage !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Based on the official view of the government's medical advisers the chances now are the season will end up being voided, even if the initial decisions are to play for time.

This is a very rough non-medical-expert timetable if you delay. If the coronavirus peak won't be reached until mid-June, as the government's advisers say, then presumably you will still get it tapering off through July, meaning you couldn't restart before the beginning of August. That would mean the season being finished at the end of September.

Assuming a 'summer' break the next season might be able to start sometime in November. Apart from anything else that would cause a massive problem for English clubs in the transfer market, if the leagues they want to buy from have the window as usual running from July to the endf of August.

The alternative (unfairly advantageous for Norwich City) is to void this season and set a beginning of September start for the next one, with the transfer window then operating as normal. In effect you scrap one busted season to make the next one viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a hilarious possibility that the season in which Leeds and Liverpool finally win their respective leagues is declared void.

I wonder if there will be any implications on TV revenue or consequences for unfulfilled contracts etc. I can see lots of lengthy legal battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's a hilarious possibility that the season in which Leeds and Liverpool finally win their respective leagues is declared void.

I wonder if there will be any implications on TV revenue or consequences for unfulfilled contracts etc. I can see lots of lengthy legal battles.

Yep, as usual the main benefactors will be lawyers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, if players have to self-isolate for two weeks, how can they train and prepare for future matches?

Surely the integrity of the competitions are destroyed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine footballers are one group in society who are in very close contact with each other, given the training routines and team building. They train, eat, travel and socialise together. You would think exposure levels are higher to a virus? Maybe we hear of other cases in the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Thank the Lord you weren’t around during the blitz 

Uncle Fred, you comments shows why the virus will spread. It's an international disaster and we are only at the beginning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once suspended it won't  restart.

Season is done, nul and void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Once suspended it won't  restart.

Season is done, nul and void.

Why do you think that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Why do you think that.

Because this will roll for months, not everyone will get it at the same time which makes it impossible to arrange fixtures. What happens in Europe will happen here.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Badger said:

The thing is, if players have to self-isolate for two weeks, how can they train and prepare for future matches?

Surely the integrity of the competitions are destroyed?

Make do and mend solutions will be overtaken by reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can’t see it restarting if it stops - the question is how/when do you restart?  This is meant to just be the start of it in terms of the virus, so you’d need to be clear of it in order to get going again, that could be a month or more. Two weeks of postponements just won’t cut it; on top of that players can’t train properly if at all.

Would have been nice just to get one more weekend in - I imagine a lot of people have spent a lot of time and money making arrangements for the weekend, so to bin fixtures the day before is tough, but it should be what’s ‘right’ that guides things. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I feel about season voided. Obviously it is good news for the teams facing relegation- but not actually relegated- but it will lead to farce and, due to the money involved, infighting and legal actions I suspect. I guess the choices are void and start again or use a mathematical system to artificially end the season- simulating matches - at which point we are down. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

that could be a month or more. 

I've  encountered Lakeyo level optimism  before, but ' a month or more'  is understatement of the century.  UK wont reach peak infection for a couple of months . 

I would be very surprised if theres any  competitive footy till a month AFTER  infection rates fall to a internationally recognised safe level.  ie negligible. 

Human lives are at risk....a little more important than entertainment  and sport.  

Edited by wcorkcanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Entire Everton squad now in self-isolation.

Beat me to it. That will help focus minds at the meeting this morning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I've  encountered Lakeyo level optimism  before, but ' a month or more'  is understatement of the century.  UK wont reach peak infection for a couple of months . 

I would be very surprised if theres any  competitive footy till a month AFTER  infection rates fall to a internationally recognised safe level.  ie negligible. 

That’s kind-of what I was getting at, you’ve somewhat cherry picked my comment...I did say that a two-week postponement wouldn’t cut it and that I can’t see it restarting if it stops!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

 

 

The rules of the Premier League state that all teams must play each other home and away during the course of a season. Unless that happens they can't relegate any team. If they should be foolhardy enough to try they would face legal action. For Norwich, it would be a very easy case to win. If you could accurately predict the results of football matches there would be no point in having them. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

. If you could accurately predict the results of football matches there would be no point in having them. 

We save enormously on wages though😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s kind-of what I was getting at, you’ve somewhat cherry picked my comment...I did say that a two-week postponement wouldn’t cut it and that I can’t see it restarting if it stops!

No offence intended  Pickleo.  Your point is valid , but a month puts us into still rising infection rates. Realistically  , I can't  see much  in the way of footy till next year... if then, as catching this virus does not guarantee future immunity, it may help future resistance but not immunity, so could go round and round .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...