Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Decision not to spend will look very wise

9 hours ago, Aggy said:

So if you ‘void’ this season - do you think Leeds and West Brom wouldn’t kick up a fuss? 

In Germany they are voiding the season but letting the top 4 sides from the second tier join an enlarged tip tier with more relegation places as a one off. All Bundesliga sides agreed that solution. 

The key is to find a solution which all sides in the league can agree on. But I can assure you that Villa would not accept relegation with a game in hand. 

A possible solution to the problem may be special summer play off games. Sheff Utd versus Man Utd, winner gets the European place. 

Norwich (20th) versus Leeds for promotion/relegation, and Villa versus West Brom etc. Both tasty fixtures as well! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

In Germany they are voiding the season but letting the top 4 sides from the second tier join an enlarged tip tier with more relegation places as a one off. All Bundesliga sides agreed that solution. 

The key is to find a solution which all sides in the league can agree on. But I can assure you that Villa would not accept relegation with a game in hand. 

Funnily enough, I was discussing that as a possibility with my wife not having known they were discussing it, or going to implement it in the Bundesliga.

It's the only way I can see that the Premier League could see off any action from the Football League/current Prem bottom 3 but would it not really have to cascade down through several levels of the Football Pyramid to make it work?

Trust the Germans to come up with a sensible solution!  

It’d be best to let the top two up, extend the season back to 42 games for both us and the Champs (and bin our stupid ‘break’).  No real need to alter a lot else down the leagues (tho be more accepting that u23 sides will feature in Cups).

It’s more games for Sky/BT so they’ll be more than happy.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Problems that arise are how is the prize money awarded ?  Those with a game in hand, or what might be thought an easier games will not receive what they feel reflects their likely finishong position

And the prize money is mainly derived from TV income which is only collected and distributed on a 'pay out as it comes in basis' Mo live football and folk may well simply cancel siubscriptions - where possible. Sponsor/ad revenue will no doubt drop as t20% of the games will not have been watched by TV/attendance figures.

I would expect clubs to have some type of clause in player contracts that cover this possibility. Though it might mean a large number of top of the range leasehold cars may be heading back to the dealers.

If this does cause a 'crash' then long term it will not be a bad thing - if only that City have had the good sense not to live beyond their mean

As for us, well I doubt many tears will be shed seeing football being brought back down to a more realistic size.

And who knows we might see players painting the grounds in the summer, as before 😊

Euro 2020 clearly isn't happening though- even if this clears up quicker than expected seasons will need to run into the summer to be completed. Actually turned out that having no host country will mitigate the damage.

The decision not to spend was always a wise decision, just took this virus to enable some to see that wisdom. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The decision not to spend was always a wise decision, just took this virus to enable some to see that wisdom. 

Villa with a lot of debt then

All anything is right now is speculation.  I would say there is an extremely high chance that the Premier League have something written into their "rules" which will say what happens in the event of the season needing to be voided.  This might be a little naive of me from a legal perspective but as all teams sign up to these rules, would that not head off any legal challenges?

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's by far the least suitable/realistic solution, because there will be huge lawsuits flying all over the place. 

Look at the league tables. So Man Utd qualify for Europe and Sheffield United don't? Sheffield United have a game in hand.

Aston Villa go down? Again, they have a game in hand.

One team in the relegation zone may have played all top 4 sides twice, another may have to still play two of them. Etc, etc.

Lawsuits would bankrupt the Premier League.

It will either be find a way to play the fixtures or void the season. 

Of course, in our case we're better off playing teams in the top 4 rather than the bottom teams....

4 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

All anything is right now is speculation.  I would say there is an extremely high chance that the Premier League have something written into their "rules" which will say what happens in the event of the season needing to be voided.  This might be a little naive of me from a legal perspective but as all teams sign up to these rules, would that not head off any legal challenges?

It's a good point, you would anticipate that this has been planned for, at least in terms of a "disaster" requiring the season to be suspended and/or voided. Particularly given the sums of money that are "invested" into the Premiership.

That said, this is the Premier League, and a S*n article stated the following:

While there is no suggestion the campaign will be axed, there is no contingency plan in the league's own regulations which addresses what would happen if the season suddenly had to be scrapped before it is completed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11061949/premier-league-coronavirus-liverpool-title/

I dare say this season will be setting the precedent.