Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Leicester City Coronavirus

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No one can sue the EFL if the government tells them football is cancelled. 

Anybody can sue anybody for anything, although of course your chances of winning the case vary depending on circumstances. 

10 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Exactly. Also flattening out the outbreak gives time to prepare and will reduce the peak load on the NHS - which will save lives. We have to accept this virus is out there and there’s no way to just stop it, it’s impossible, all we can do is manage it as best as possible, and the UK approach seems to me very realistic as the way to go.

Theres a bit of confusion in there. You can't get or build up herd immunity unless the herd catches it. All you can hope for is to spread the catching it out ... not all at once .... and that means social distancing exactly what we are not really doing at present. 

I see no harm and everything to gain at present by the proportionate cancellation of unnecessary large gatherings. The full lock down can come later.

4 hours ago, Upo said:

They confirm COVID-19 infection on ANY player in the league, it is over for this year. It is just a matter of time. Any talk about playing behind closed doors is trying to cope with the inevitable.

Be prepared that the only football you'll see in the next 12 to 18 months is reruns.

To avoid relegation perhaps a mid-season training camp in Northern Italy?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Anybody can sue anybody for anything, although of course your chances of winning the case vary depending on circumstances. 

A full lockdown should never be needed as it’s impossible for the estimated numbers to catch this within 12 months. The correct actin is being taken, allowing normal life with control measures in place. The interesting thing is most experts now agree that this will spread there’s no way of knowing exact numbers who will be infected, but there are a number of vaccines about to be tested on people, with some saying the fast track for those at risk by the end of the year.

Suck it up people you all know the risks so use your own circumstances to isolate yourselves. The way forward is for the healthy to go through the virus so that normal life can continue to the best it can be. Just be carefully out there, cleanliness at all times.

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Theres a bit of confusion in there. You can't get or build up herd immunity unless the herd catches it. All you can hope for is to spread the catching it out ... not all at once .... and that means social distancing exactly what we are not really doing at present. 

I see no harm and everything to gain at present by the proportionate cancellation of unnecessary large gatherings. The full lock down can come later.

In terms of delaying the spread, that’s exactly what I said, so not sure where the confusion is. 

The question is whether cancelling large gatherings does any good to achieve that. For example if people go to pubs instead, does that actually increase the risk of spread compared to watching a game live. 

31 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Exactly. Also flattening out the outbreak gives time to prepare and will reduce the peak load on the NHS - which will save lives. We have to accept this virus is out there and there’s no way to just stop it, it’s impossible, all we can do is manage it as best as possible, and the UK approach seems to me very realistic as the way to go.

Do you feel there will be a flattening out ICF? If so, then it could work and the strategy makes sense (whether one believes in it or not). The only way that this my happen is people self-isolating (7 days guidance) and  the hope then is that the virus is not 'community transmitted'. This is voluntary of course and depends on the UK public actually behaving responsibly. So many people you talk to still seem to be complacent (in my experience). I wonder whether a strong message will shock people? Perhaps the government is building up to this because they know just how difficult a stronger ban will be. It makes me wonder how Irish and Scottish people will respond. I am guessing though they will feel their government has been strong and has sent a serious message. I am just not so sure ICF and really hope this approach is right. The pace of change is dramatic in this story and frightening.

I agree it’s incredibly difficult.  For example, if we close schools, lots of people will need to ask grandparents to help out with childcare thus increasing the exposure of people who are highly vulnerable. There are no easy answers and it seems to me our government is trying to follow the best medical/scientific advice which is what I’d want them to do.

For example banning flights from infected areas seems a good idea, but Italy banned flights from China and we didn’t. 

40 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

The question is whether cancelling large gatherings does any good to achieve that. For example if people go to pubs instead, does that actually increase the risk of spread compared to watching a game live. 

The way I look at this (I fully accept this may be wrong) is the issue is avoiding "undue mixing". i.e. you have your regular contacts - family, business colleagues, friends at the pub, etc. That population is fairly constant, and it's difficult to reduce that exposure very much without dramatically affecting your personal and eventually national economy. Of course if you get sick you should self-isolate to limit the spread - that's true for the flu as well. But our society at some point must revert to normal social interaction to survive. 

For a football match, you could argue that the season ticket holders sit adjacent to the same group of people each game, so the additional risk is still relatively low, but that is not true for the away fans, or for casual ticket home fans. So I'd ban both of those. 

However when you throw in events like trade shows, you now have an exposure to a significantly larger number of people from a much wider geographic spread than you would normally, plus there may be airplane travel and hotels involved too. And that has to increase the risk factor for infections. 

6 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Would only be fair on teams who are mathematically promoted, relegated or champions to declare them as such. The rest should be declared null, obviously I'm biased given where our club is but it would be unfair to decide teams fates with 8/9 games left to play. 

How do you do that? What if a team is mathematically promoted , but there is no team the division above who is mathematically relegated? Do you have an extra team in the higher division the next season?

mind boggling that we are carrying on as normal this weekend while the whole thing is on such a knife edge in this country. We should be postponing things for a couple of weeks and seeing where things are then. We can always use the non existent international weekend now to pick up the games lost this weekend if we have to.

I don't see what we gain by carrying on as normal this weekend.

Interesting posts in this thread now I’ve read it all. Have to say, I’d just assumed without really giving it much thought that “freezing” the tables as they stand now was the most likely. As Ricardo and others have said though, I suppose the legal implications of that are huge as even we could potentially argue that we have a fairly nice run in and so could have potentially got more points than others around us. If we can make that argument (which isn’t entirely invalid) as far adrift as we are there would be a lot of arguments where things remain closer. 

Perhaps the null and void option is the best bet, although I imagine they’ll try and get games done behind closed doors. The problem though is that the government is advising people to self quarantine. So while you might occasionally get a player missing a game or two due to the flu, you wouldn’t get whole squads self quarantining for a fortnight. I don’t see how you can play games when that’s happening. 

Difficult to make a legal argument against nul and void because it is the same for everyone. It is impossible to guesstimate promotion and relegation and playoffs etc.

18 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The way I look at this (I fully accept this may be wrong) is the issue is avoiding "undue mixing". i.e. you have your regular contacts - family, business colleagues, friends at the pub, etc. That population is fairly constant, and it's difficult to reduce that exposure very much without dramatically affecting your personal and eventually national economy. Of course if you get sick you should self-isolate to limit the spread - that's true for the flu as well. But our society at some point must revert to normal social interaction to survive. 

For a football match, you could argue that the season ticket holders sit adjacent to the same group of people each game, so the additional risk is still relatively low, but that is not true for the away fans, or for casual ticket home fans. So I'd ban both of those. 

However when you throw in events like trade shows, you now have an exposure to a significantly larger number of people from a much wider geographic spread than you would normally, plus there may be airplane travel and hotels involved too. And that has to increase the risk factor for infections. 

I was amused that in some manner football matches were 'outdoor' events .. lots of fresh air and hence low risk.

The reality is of course a crush in the steps and tunnels in the stands, bars and loos. Excellent opportunities for any aspiring virus.

This whole thing is accelerating so quickly. I wonder whether this will ramp up the 'delay' strategy especially in relation to larger public events.  I see the EPL has an emergency meeting tomorrow morning in response to this news.

46 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I was amused that in some manner football matches were 'outdoor' events .. lots of fresh air and hence low risk.

The reality is of course a crush in the steps and tunnels in the stands, bars and loos. Excellent opportunities for any aspiring virus.

Looking at it in probability terms though the crush lasts for how long - 15 minutes? 

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

This whole thing is accelerating so quickly. I wonder whether this will ramp up the 'delay' strategy especially in relation to larger public events.  I see the EPL has an emergency meeting tomorrow morning in response to this news.

The UK has the same amount of cases that Italy had about 12 days ago. In 12 days, Italy has gone from something like 500 to 15,000. The UK doesn't appear to be implementing any strong measures to stop it, so I'd expect the result to be similar in a fortnight.

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Mikel Arteta has coronavirus.

Complete game changer.

Not to be argumentative, but why? 

Just now, Surfer said:

Not to be argumentative, but why? 

Well Arsenal can't play for a fortnight as the whole squad will be in isolation. West Ham, their last opponents, will likely suffer the same fate. There are probably other people involved who will now have to quarantine as well.

Bundesliga are apparently going to vote on cancelling their league, having no relegation and allowing the top four teams from their second division to compete in an extended top division next season.

could be a good precedent for the premier to follow if it gets suspended/cancelled as now seems inevitable. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Bundesliga are apparently going to vote on cancelling their league, having no relegation and allowing the top four teams from their second division to compete in an extended top division next season.

could be a good precedent for the premier to follow if it gets suspended/cancelled as now seems inevitable. 

That sounds like a decent solution. Play 22 in the EPL next season. You could see how all divisions could flex their number in an interim season. A creative solution.

Let's have some realism via Paul Joseph Watson  👇 He's correct -- We should've closed our borders, ffs -- and yes, the virus is being politicised.

37 minutes ago, Jools said:

Let's have some realism via Paul Joseph Watson  👇 He's correct -- We should've closed our borders, ffs -- and yes, the virus is being politicised.

48 minutes ago, Jools said:

Total cobblers. No one has ever suggested we close our borders and the virus is not being politicised - do you see or hear ANY opposition leader disagreeing with the decisions so far? This is just snivelling, pretend anarchy - practised by the same people collecting toilet rolls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

No one has ever suggested we close our borders and the virus is not being politicised -

Well, that's Watson's point isn't it? We should've closed our borders as did Russia, Singapore and Mongolia in January -- The latter have peaked and the mortality rate is zilch...

And yes, the virus is being politicised --- You really have to be a special kind of idiot to think otherwise.

41 minutes ago, Jools said:

Only by me? Unlike you Lefties and your pathetic Remainiac alter ego, Swindon Canary, I barely post these days, you odious Lefty *****

😀

I doubt you’ll be posting much soon either. Enjoy your break you poisonous and twisted right wing nut job 🥜 🤪🥜🤪🥜🤪🤪🥜