Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Leicester City Coronavirus

And here lies the problem of behind closed doors. The season is over

14 minutes ago, JF said:

And here lies the problem of behind closed doors. The season is over

As I stated a week ago to much disagreement.

As soon as it hits a club everyone has to self isolate or quarentine. It is impossible for the Leagues to complete. This is not going to be a two or three week suspension, it's the end of the current season.

The same in Madrid. La Liga has been suspended.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

As soon as it hits a club everyone has to self isolate or quarentine. It is impossible for the Leagues to complete. This is not going to be a two or three week suspension, it's the end of the current season.

Absolutely.

Crown Liverpool as Champions  - they deserve it but I suspect we all live to fight another day.

This is an extreme position but one could argue that players miss games due to viral infections and colds every season and that this just means Leicester have three new injuries. 

It does increasingly look like we're going to have to just postpone the season and try and get it finished off in the summer though. 

Euros should be cancelled to accommodate this.

Would only be fair on teams who are mathematically promoted, relegated or champions to declare them as such. The rest should be declared null, obviously I'm biased given where our club is but it would be unfair to decide teams fates with 8/9 games left to play. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

La Liga in Spain is the latest one to be suspended. I agree with you Ricardo, in fact i believe the Premier and EFL  chiefs should recognise the futility of trying to carry on with this seasons games and close the whole shebang down this instant. The government could maybe  order for all big events to be cancelled from todays Cobra, but then the footy authorities may try for a behind closed door policy, to which i think makes the whole thing pointless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Who gets relegated though, Aston Villa or Watford? Villa have a game in hand. 

Same with 5th place... Man Utd, or Sheff Utd with their game in hand? 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The season would be scrapped. As if it had never started.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A season that doesn't complete is nul and void. This applies to every league not just the Premier.

We don't yet know if next season will even start so little point in pondering promotion, relegation or European league places.

There won't be a cup final this year either.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Would only be fair on teams who are mathematically promoted, relegated or champions to declare them as such. The rest should be declared null, obviously I'm biased given where our club is but it would be unfair to decide teams fates with 8/9 games left to play. 

The legal implications make nul and void the only choice IMO.

We may get a lead on how this may pan out from other European leagues. I would expect legally it becomes such a nightmare that a simple cancellation is the only solution. A shame for Liverpool but they would be honorary winners. Leeds can always be the champions of Europe. 

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The legal implications make nul and void the only choice IMO.

The EPL rule is that every team has to play every other team at home and away. They are not stupid enough to change that. They would be sued out of existence. 

• Like 1

If the footy authorities  try to go with a closed doors policy i cant see the logic in that. If the season was in its last week or two then maybe but theres still way to many  games to be played / weeks of the season to go, it would be a farce. In which case im presuming the football authorities will have to go with their own rules and declare the 2019-20 season as null and void.

If City did escape  relegation by means of a global pestilence then maybe its a bizarre compensation for losing out on European action back in '85 due to a football related disaster elsewhere.

I notice in the USA the NBA season has been shut down after one of its stars was  confirmed  with Coronavirus. That will be a massive shock to American sports fans, i dunno if their sporting competitions continued during WW2 as many of their sports are pretty specific to them alone, but of course over here  being without  main sporting competitions is not new, it lasted 6 years during that historic period.

It's gonna make planning for next season extremely hard. especially if we don't find out till late and this affects TV revenue, we could find ourselves going into another PL campaign under prepared and without any money to spend...although if I was offered that situation now I'd snap your hands off!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The season would be scrapped. As if it had never started.

So the one season that Leeds haven't fallen apart, the league falls apart instead.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The EPL rule is that every team has to play every other team at home and away. They are not stupid enough to change that. They would be sued out of existence. 

Isn't it the case that the rules don't cover the situation?

I agree that declaring it null and void would be the obvious solution but then would the likes of Leeds and WBA look at legal action if they are denied promotion in the same way we no doubt will if they declare the current standings to be the final standings.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Isn't it the case that the rules don't cover the situation?

I agree that declaring it null and void would be the obvious solution but then would the likes of Leeds and WBA look at legal action if they are denied promotion in the same way we no doubt will if they declare the current standings to be the final standings.

Yeah but you then have the same situation in every single league all the way down through the league's...Swindon etc

3 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

If the footy authorities  try to go with a closed doors policy i cant see the logic in that. If the season was in its last week or two then maybe but theres still way to many  games to be played / weeks of the season to go, it would be a farce. In which case im presuming the football authorities will have to go with their own rules and declare the 2019-20 season as null and void.

If City did escape  relegation by means of a global pestilence then maybe its a bizarre compensation for losing out on European action back in '85 due to a football related disaster elsewhere.

Reading this thread is the first time I’ve realised this was a possibility.

Potentially mind-blowing stuff (obviously pretty insignificant in the context of the horrors of a pandemic, but the mind clings on to the ordinary in extraordinary times).

They confirm COVID-19 infection on ANY player in the league, it is over for this year. It is just a matter of time. Any talk about playing behind closed doors is trying to cope with the inevitable.

Be prepared that the only football you'll see in the next 12 to 18 months is reruns.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yeah but you then have the same situation in every single league all the way down through the league's...Swindon etc

Just think of the legal minefield created if you try to fiddle fart results to get a final table. Its a non starter.

Just think of the legal minefield created if you try to fiddle fart results to get a final table. Its a non starter.

Now that would be mind-blowing!

1 minute ago, Upo said:

They confirm COVID-19 infection on ANY player in the league, it is over for this year. It is just a matter of time. Any talk about playing behind closed doors is trying to cope with the inevitable.

Be prepared that the only football you'll see in the next 12 to 18 months is reruns.

Should have been obvious to all days ago. Instead of football we could be watching all the legal argument at the Old Bailey😁

How do they do that without players Ron?

Teams who have a member with the virus have to self isolate.

Edited by ricardo

COBRA is about to pronounce judgement. Switch on Radio 4 or 5.

My guess is that Boris will demand we step up our hand washing and in addition don't stand next to anyone foreign on the bus. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

COBRA is about to pronounce judgement. Switch on Radio 4 or 5.

My guess is that Boris will demand we step up our hand washing and in addition don't stand next to anyone foreign on the bus. 

My hands are so clean I could safely do heart surgery on myself without gloves.😷

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

Old Bailey?? High court more likely.

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Should have been obvious to all days ago. Instead of football we could be watching all the legal argument at the Old Bailey😁

Old Bailey is a criminal court. Dealing with sporting legalities of that kind would go to the High court. (RCJ)