Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

First Time to Norwich/Carrow Road

Following from a previous post ... my wife and I have come from the States and have managed to get two tickets to Saturday’s match and will be attending Carrow Road for the first time! This will also be our first time in Norwich. To say we’re excited is an understatement. Hopefully, viruses and rain will hold off and victory will prevail!!

We’ll be staying two nights in the city center. Where should we go pre match, post match, etc.? I’d love a couple of pub and brewery recommendations. And the wife loves her wine. Any good restaurant spots? Other tips? We’re easy overall and are mostly looking to relax. Sunday we’ll recover from our hangovers and probably walk around a bit and do some sightseeing.

Cheers to you all!!

#COYY #OTBC

• Like 1

Lucky you- you'll both have a great time.

I really liked Redwell Brewing for a pre or post-match pint- local microbrewery making good beers, probably about 10/15 minutes walk from the ground. The Castle is always worth a visit in terms of touristy things.

Avoid Prince of Wales Road if you can- loads of pubs, all ****e.

• Like 1

Brewdog pub. Nice and central. Great beers. A few pints of Elvis juice and you will walk like someone stole your bones. It's pretty much downhill and flat to the ground from there. 

Have a great time. 

The Fat Cat and Canary could be a good place for you to check out. Not far from the ground and they also have another two pubs (one of which is my local and houses their brewery- it's called The Fat Cat Brewery Tap).

Then you also have the Coach and Horses near there and that plays host to home and away fans without any issue. Good atmosphere, always bloody rammed though! They also have Chalk Hill Brewery (a micro brewery on site)

Pals and I often go to the Wig and Pen or Ribs of Beef. Again, a couple of nice pubs not far from one another. The Ribs has a better selection of craft beer if that's your thing.

As you'll notice, Norwich city itself isn't particualrly big! You can wander around it quite swiftly and there are plenty of places to check out alng the way.

As for restaurants... Go check out Shiki and see if baby Farke Life is there! Our market has a superb selection of street food now and also hosts Sir Toby's, who sell lots of different types of beer/cider etc.

Enjoy your stay and here's hoping for three points on Saturday! OTBC!

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2

Let's hope you take 3 points back with you on your trip. Norwich is the finest of cities. You could walk round in a good leisurely three hours.

Where in NC are you from?  I've got work connections in RTP and Wilmington.  Went to see a NC State basketball match on my last trip.

You won't go far wrong with any of these;

Rib n beef,  Brewdog pub,  The murderers,  Pig and Whistle,  Last pub standing.  

Enjoy!

If you are in the city centre you could try The Bell Hotel,the Murderers,The Lamb or the Pig And Whistle.Closer to the football ground I would say the Queen of Iceeni on Riverside would be a good place to drink.

I used to live in Hillsborough, NC for 3 years. Best years of my life actually working for a football company and travelling the US.

Very sad to not stay.

But anyway, you will have a great time in the fine city

No question, while in Norwich you must look at gong to the Belgian monk for amazing Belgian food and a selection of Belgian beers that is the envy of every other city in the UK.

Certainly any fat cat pub, the original fat cat has won national awards for the beer and british pub atmosphere.

There are so many great pubs in the city.

There is a little thai by the tesco near ths market, really good.

The aussie pie shop is a different place too. Great curries and so much more.

Hopefully 3 points and a great trip to Norwich

Just now, smooth said:

No question, while in Norwich you must look at gong to the Belgian monk for amazing Belgian food and a selection of Belgian beers that is the envy of every other city in the UK.

Not a popular opinion but I've never got Belgian beer. Too wheaty.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Oh there is such a range, light, full flavoured, fruity, sour, great depth.

I work in the beer industry and tbh everytime I taste a belgian beer I say I am at home. As it really feels, to me, as the best you can get.

But I get it. So much choice, I actually work for a mead company now selling palatable 4% meads. Best way to describe is like a delicate fruit cider without the sweetness and a little taste of honey. It is Londons first meadery in 500 years and in the us every 3 days a commercial meadery opens.

It is stocked at the plasterers arms in pottergate and Sir Toby's on the market.

Nice little sales pitch there 😉

• Like 1

As of today NCY we are still Coronavirus free in our fine city and indeed the whole county, but of course its not in any our power to gaurantee that by match time. However, whatever you choose as your prefered eating / watering hole, may you  and yours enjoy it, along with 3 points  for City to. Welcome to our humble part of planet Earth.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree. Ain't a fan of a lot of Belgian beer or the Belgian Monk for that matter! Perhaps that last bit is a bit harsh. It's not a bad pub. I just don't choose to go in there much.

Where do you work, Smooth? I also work in the drinks industry but more to do with luxury spirits (and our company would be considered more suppliers, I guess, than producers as we have magazines, put on events, have awards programmes etc.)

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I agree. Ain't a fan of a lot of Belgian beer or the Belgian Monk for that matter! Perhaps that last bit is a bit harsh. It's not a bad pub. I just don't choose to go in there much.

Where do you work, Smooth? I also work in the drinks industry but more to do with luxury spirits (and our company would be considered more suppliers, I guess, than producers as we have magazines, put on events, have awards programmes etc.)

A brief bit of detective work suggests he works for Gosnells. 

No I'm not creepy.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, smooth said:

Oh there is such a range, light, full flavoured, fruity, sour, great depth.

I work in the beer industry and tbh everytime I taste a belgian beer I say I am at home. As it really feels, to me, as the best you can get.

But I get it. So much choice, I actually work for a mead company now selling palatable 4% meads. Best way to describe is like a delicate fruit cider without the sweetness and a little taste of honey. It is Londons first meadery in 500 years and in the us every 3 days a commercial meadery opens.

It is stocked at the plasterers arms in pottergate and Sir Toby's on the market.

Nice little sales pitch there 😉

Ah... See now I know who you are, Smoothio! We actually used to work together for a short time... Let's start some dialogue 😉

Edited by BobLoz3

Glad to hear you managed to get two tickets, particularly two together. ( with luck like that we must be nailed on for the points )

As previously mentioned there's loads of places to eat and drink in Norwich. A good place to explore is the Norwich Lanes very near the centre of the city. If you like Italian food there's a lovely little place run by a mother and daughter on St Andrews Hill called Saporita. It gets great reviews even from visiting Italians.

If you fancy some good old fish & chips in the centre then the Grosvenor Fish Bar is your best bet. It's in the Lanes and gets brilliant reviews. It's been run by the same family for years and has a big varied menu.

You won't have time to do everything but whatever you decide to do I hope you both have a great time.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Murderers is a great shout, especially for someone coming from abroad - lots of medieval charm about it

Good shout and several pubs have that claim to fame.

Medieval charm doesn't get much better than the Adam & Eve tucked behind the Cathedral. Claims to be one of the oldest pubs in England.

18 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Good shout and several pubs have that claim to fame.

Medieval charm doesn't get much better than the Adam & Eve tucked behind the Cathedral. Claims to be one of the oldest pubs in England.

Believe the oldest to be Ye Olde trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham but think the Adam and Eve is up there as one of the oldest

Apart from the pubs...

When i have friends who don't know Norwich I always take them on a walk to see the City. Most of it is a walk on the "inside" of the river.

1. Starting near the Railway station at the path near the Compleat Angler - alongside the river, round Pulls ferry (where they brought the stone for the cathedral) - views of the back of the cathedral -

2. Have to cross the road near Bishop's bridge near the Red Lion (currently closed) then back on the path up to Cow Tower (part of the Old City's defence system). Follow the path to the left - you will go past the Adam and Eve about 200 yards away on the left (the Oldest Pub in Norwich) and the Old Jarrolds factory over the River (you might sit in the Jarrold Stand).

3.Cross the road at Whitefriars and stay on the path. At the place of the Old Ducking stool for nagging wives (!) you have to cross the road and find a little alley near the Ribs of Beef and continue along the river. On your left, you get a good rear view of Elm Hill - the old Tudor streets in Norwich (better view than the street itself, which has lots of more modern shop fronts.)

4. I leave the River walk by cutting through the grounds of the Art School and up St Andrew's Hill. Near here you can find London Street which will take you to Bank Plain and on to the Cathedral Close (which I would class as a must see). However, before doing this, you might want to just go to make a small diversion and go up to Castle meadow and see the Castle. You have to pay to get into the Castle and although it is interesting, you might not have time.

5. I would recommend the Cathedral and especially the Cloisters, which are really atmospheric. From the Cathedral Close, you can walk down to Pulls Ferry and rejoin the walk near where you started.

It's a good walk if you want to see some of the Old City - not that far 2 or 3 miles? On the other hand, you could just go to the pub 😁 but as a proud Norvicensian, I'd say this was a waste!

I hope you have a good time and bring us some luck!!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Apart from the pubs...

When i have friends who don't know Norwich I always take them on a walk to see the City. Most of it is a walk on the "inside" of the river.

1. Starting near the Railway station at the path near the Compleat Angler - alongside the river, round Pulls ferry (where they brought the stone for the cathedral) - views of the back of the cathedral -

2. Have to cross the road near Bishop's bridge near the Red Lion (currently closed) then back on the path up to Cow Tower (part of the Old City's defence system). Follow the path to the left - you will go past the Adam and Eve about 200 yards away on the left (the Oldest Pub in Norwich) and the Old Jarrolds factory over the River (you might sit in the Jarrold Stand).

3.Cross the road at Whitefriars and stay on the path. At the place of the Old Ducking stool for nagging wives (!) you have to cross the road and find a little alley near the Ribs of Beef and continue along the river. On your left, you get a good rear view of Elm Hill - the old Tudor streets in Norwich (better view than the street itself, which has lots of more modern shop fronts.)

4. I leave the River walk by cutting through the grounds of the Art School and up St Andrew's Hill. Near here you can find London Street which will take you to Bank Plain and on to the Cathedral Close (which I would class as a must see). However, before doing this, you might want to just go to make a small diversion and go up to Castle meadow and see the Castle. You have to pay to get into the Castle and although it is interesting, you might not have time.

5. I would recommend the Cathedral and especially the Cloisters, which are really atmospheric. From the Cathedral Close, you can walk down to Pulls Ferry and rejoin the walk near where you started.

It's a good walk if you want to see some of the Old City - not that far 2 or 3 miles? On the other hand, you could just go to the pub 😁 but as a proud Norvicensian, I'd say this was a waste!

I hope you have a good time and bring us some luck!!

That's a nice pleasant route and walk.....cheaper than the open top tourist bus......You could also maybe go into the Cathedral grounds and squeeze in Edith Cavell's grave.....(I don't mean try and inter yourself alongside Edith's plot, but maybe spend a cursory moment at her final resting place)......You may also hopefully spot the Cathedral Spire's peregrines, I do think that they're now about at this moment in time.....Then trundle off to the game and afterwards get bladdered, dance the night away - then finish with a gorge on a kebab.....and cheesy chips......

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If you fancy some good old fish & chips in the centre then the Grosvenor Fish Bar is your best bet

beat me to it Smitho. fried Mackerel in a bun.....a Big Mack !!is very good indeed.

Edited by wcorkcanary

5 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

All of this advice is really tremendous! We’re totally chuffed. Thank you all so much.

Have a great time!

Let us know how you get on!

44 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

All of this advice is really tremendous! We’re totally chuffed. Thank you all so much.

...and if you have ever kicked a ball, please bring your boots as the way things are going we may well need you on the pitch.

1 hour ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Absolutely delighted to hear you both got tickets! I think a few regulars from here often drink in The Nelson after the match... it's across the road from the railway station, on the far side of the river.

Like my buddy @BobLoz3, I usually drink in the Wig & Pen before the match. Oh, and if your wife likes her wine, I definitely recommend a trip to The Wallow on Exchange Street; it's a self-service wine bar where you just top up a card and then help yourself. Rumour has it that Herr Farke can occasionally be seen in there too... 😉

Would love to hear all about your trip, so please do keep us posted on how you get on in The Fine City.

• Like 1

For the evening you could of course go to Delias for fine dining and still soak up the Carrow Rd. atmosphere.

Go and get yourself a good curry. I've never found a decent Indian restaurant in the USA. 

11 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Go and get yourself a good curry. I've never found a decent Indian restaurant in the USA. 

They exist but they are very hard to find.